PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown makes good impression at Steelers camp

SteelCrazy
05-28-2010, 08:00 AM
By The Saginaw News
May 27, 2010, 3:46PM
Former Central Michigan University receiver Antonio Brown has opened some eyes as a receiver on the second-team offense during the Pittsburgh Steelers camp.

Still, he faces a battle to make the final Pittsburgh roster, especially with third-round pick Emmanuel Sanders also playing well.

espn.com: I spoke with Brown after practice today (he was the last one off the field), and he is a very confident guy. Antonio said he "hasn't met his match yet" among Steelers DBs in practice. He looks to be a real intense player, and one who is determined to make this football team.

Sanders, who figures to have the edge on Brown given his 3rd round draft pick status, made a diving catch over the middle today during 11-on-11. Sanders looks Randle-El quick, while Brown looks more Wallace fast. It could be a real battle between Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown to make the 53-man roster coming up in August

http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ss ... impre.html (http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ssf/2010/05/antonio_brown_makes_good_impre.html)

ramblinjim
05-28-2010, 09:03 AM
I hope that if one of these young guys just looks excellent in camp and in the pre-season this year they would get the nod over one of the older guys like Randle-El or Battle. I'm not knocking those two guys but if Brown and Sanders both tear it up in camp this WR group isn't bad at all if they only keep five.

Ward
Wallace
Randle-El
Sanders
Brown

flippy
05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
I hope that if one of these young guys just looks excellent in camp and in the pre-season this year they would get the nod over one of the older guys like Randle-El or Battle. I'm not knocking those two guys but if Brown and Sanders both tear it up in camp this WR group isn't bad at all if they only keep five.

Ward
Wallace
Randle-El
Sanders
Brown

Battle is a lock because of ST and I see Grisham putting up a fight against Brown.

ramblinjim
05-28-2010, 09:17 AM
We've got some young guys this year that could push for positions, that's for sure. Flippy I forgot about Grisham. Camp should be pretty exciting.

steelblood
05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
We will keep about 12 at RB, FB, WR, and TE.

It could be 6 WR, 2 TE, 3 RB, and 1 FB/TE (McHugh or Taylor).

steelblood
05-28-2010, 09:35 AM
We will keep about 12 at RB, FB, WR, and TE.

It could be 6 WR, 2 TE, 3 RB, and 1 FB/TE (McHugh or Taylor).

xXTSKXx
05-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Both Manny Sanders and Antonio Brown seem be from the same mold as Santonio plus they can return kicks. I think if Stephon Logan is going to have a hard time making the roster.

Ghost
05-28-2010, 11:43 AM
10 WR's on the roster as of today (Logan is listed as a RB) but got to figure at least 2 of those are gone when they need to cut it to 80 for camp.

Ward, Wallace and Randle El are locks barring injury. Got to believe Sanders is as well unless he suddenly develops hands like Sweed. And I don't see them cutting Battle with his ST prowess as well as the Rooney's giving him $975K as a signing bonus which wasn't just to be a body for camp. That's 5 already.

If they go with 6 - Does Grisham make it or go back to the practice squad (he did get the call up late last season)? Does Brown make it as the rookie or the PS (would another team grab him?)? Or do they keep the only guy over 6ft in London (6'4") who's done time on PS and played 14 games for the fins?

Interesting camp battles!

calmkiller
05-28-2010, 01:02 PM
You already have 5 locked with Ward, Wallace, ARE, Battle and Sanders. Brown is a 6th round pick and unless he shows great talent in the preseason then could most likely be moved to PS, along with Grisham.

Stated above is we will most likely keep 12 in the RB, WR, TE group is close to accurate, but can changed depending on what backup linemen can place multiple positions. if they only keep 3 TB and 1 FB that is only 4 for the position. They have been keeping 5 for a while. So if you were to go with 6 WR and 5 RB and only 2 TEs that is 13 right there. You would have to pick up the extra slot from the OL or LB positions by carrying one less. Position flexibility plays a key role here.

Prok
05-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Ward
Wallace
Randle-El
Sanders
Brown

I can agree with that. Although i'd like to see us keep 6 Wr's. We will still pass the ball a fair share and will need injury insurance IMO.

But if these 2 young kids pan out our WR corps goes right back to league eliteness.

SteelCrazy
05-28-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd hate it if we lost Brown to another team if we send him to the practice squad and I like London's size, but I guess we cant keep 7.....This camp should be exciting to say the least.

BlastFurnace
05-28-2010, 02:38 PM
By The Saginaw News
May 27, 2010, 3:46PM
Former Central Michigan University receiver Antonio Brown has opened some eyes as a receiver on the second-team offense during the Pittsburgh Steelers camp.

Still, he faces a battle to make the final Pittsburgh roster, especially with third-round pick Emmanuel Sanders also playing well.

espn.com: I spoke with Brown after practice today (he was the last one off the field), and he is a very confident guy. Antonio said he "hasn't met his match yet" among Steelers DBs in practice. He looks to be a real intense player, and one who is determined to make this football team.

Sanders, who figures to have the edge on Brown given his 3rd round draft pick status, made a diving catch over the middle today during 11-on-11. Sanders looks Randle-El quick, while Brown looks more Wallace fast. It could be a real battle between Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown to make the 53-man roster coming up in August

http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ss ... impre.html (http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ssf/2010/05/antonio_brown_makes_good_impre.html)

It seems that every year we have some really tough decisions to make because of the amount of talent they bring in. Seems that is why other teams have so many scouts at our pre-season games...to gather what is let go.

calmkiller
05-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I'd hate it if we lost Brown to another team if we send him to the practice squad and I like London's size, but I guess we cant keep 7.....This camp should be exciting to say the least.

Just imagine if Sweed wouldn't have been hurt and he actually showed something in the preseason. How tough would it be then. :shock:

ALLD
05-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Just imagine if Sweed wouldn't have been hurt and he actually showed something in the preseason. How tough would it be then. :shock:

If Sweed showed anything other than bad hands and immaturity, the team would not have drafted so many receivers. We could then add depth to other positions rather than trying to fortify the WR position with a shotgun approach.

slashsteel
05-29-2010, 12:21 AM
I could realistically see both WRs making the cuts. I dont think Sanders will be cut regardless of what scenerio unfolds.....

StarSpangledSteeler
05-29-2010, 03:15 AM
you guys are forgetting about special teams. who are our current top two punt/kick returners? obviously that has not been decided yet but the early line is on Brown and Sanders. I know ARE 'used to' be good at punts but i would be very surprised if he outperformed either of those two rookies statistically.

Point is... both Brown and Sanders make the 53.

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2010, 03:23 AM
you guys are forgetting about special teams. who are our current top two punt/kick returners? obviously that has not been decided yet but the early line is on Brown and Sanders. I know ARE 'used to' be good at punts but i would be very surprised if he outperformed either of those two rookies statistically.

unless Stefan Logan makes a good impression at RB and takes a couple of returns to the house in pre-season...

SteelCrazy
05-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Antonio Brown steals the show at Pittsburgh Steelers' OTAs

By Hugh Bernreuter | The Saginaw News
May 29, 2010, 8:08PM

Former Central Michigan receiver Antonio Brown was only a sixth-round pick by the Pittsburgh Steelers, but he's making a good impression in OTAs, even getting a "shout-out" from backup quarterback Dennis Dixon.

nfldraftbible.com: An unexpected name stole the show during OTA’s in Pittsburgh. Former Central Michigan wide receiver Antonio Brown received quite a bit of attention from the media on hand and by other Pittsburgh Steelers as well, such as quarterback Dennis Dixon, who gave a shout out of props after a long touchdown grab tossed his way by Byron Leftwich. Brown is catching on, “I’m getting better everyday and push myself to the limit everyday,” which is evident by the strides he’s making on the field.

http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ss ... _show.html (http://www.mlive.com/chippewas/index.ssf/2010/05/antonio_brown_steals_the_show.html)

Discipline of Steel
05-29-2010, 11:37 PM

unless Stefan Logan makes a good impression at RB and takes a couple of returns to the house in pre-season...

Logan will have to stick as the #5 RB. At least thats where he seems to be getting work. And they already know what he can do return-wise...where he set a franchise record for total return yards last year (0 fumbles). If you compare Logan to Russell and the Dumptruck, that improvement even beats Sepulveda over Mitch Berger. Logan is by no means dead yet, but i dont think he's overtly competing with the WRs.