PDA

View Full Version : Goodell clears Roethlisberger to return next week

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Goodell clears Roethlisberger to return next week

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2010 6:35 PM ET

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger can participate in team activities starting next week.

League spokesman Greg Aiello announced that Goodell made the decision based on reports and recommendations of medical experts who worked with Roethlisberger. Goodell ordered Roethlisberger to undergo a thorough evaluation, and Roethlisberger had been barred from taking part in team activities until the evaluation was complete.

Goodell will continue to monitor Roethlisberger's progress and plans to meet again with Roethlisberger at a later date.

Roethlisberger has been suspended for the first six games of the regular season for violating the league's personal-conduct policy. He will be permitted to participate in organized team activities, training camp and the preseason before serving his suspension at the start of the regular season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... next-week/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/27/goodell-clears-roethlisberger-to-return-next-week/)

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Who takes snaps with the first team when OTA's resume next Tuesday? Ben? Byron? Dennis? Charlie?

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Who takes snaps with the first team when OTA's resume next Tuesday? Ben? Byron? Dennis? Charlie?

good question...my guess is that Lefty has been running with the first team and will continue to do so since we need to prepare for Week 1.

PT.
05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
now he needs to tell us that the suspension will only be 4 games

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM

John Clayton was just saying on ESPN that Ben's behavioral evaluation went well and that Ben's suspension being reduced to 4 games is almost a foregone conclusion once Goodell meets with Ben. :tt2

Flasteel
05-27-2010, 08:00 PM

John Clayton was just saying on ESPN that Ben's behavioral evaluation went well and that Ben's suspension being reduced to 4 games is almost a foregone conclusion once Goodell meets with Ben. :tt2

That's what I was thinking as well. I mean, if further "tests" or evaluation were recommended, then I would think Goodell would have Roethlisberger attend to that before rejoining the team. Other than the waiting, it seems this thing over.

I could see where Roethlisberger has already begun some type of mandatory counseling. That wouldn't be discussed on any level due to HIPAA laws, but I'm pretty sure that Ben wouldn't stop going, beat up his couselor, or try to force himself on one of the female staff.

I doubt we'll see Goodell announcing a reduction in the suspension until the 4 weeks are basically up. The reduction is still contingent on Ben's behavior. That is going to necessitate a "wait and see" approach, especially in how he handles himself throughout the suspension.

BigNastyDefense
05-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Well that is good news. I would probably split first team snaps 70% Lefty 30% Big Ben. Lefty needs to prepare for games 1-4 (hopefully just 1-4) but we can't let Ben just sit there and not get any work with the first string.

Steelgal
05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
About time there was some positive news regarding Ben!!!

Who's ready for the 2010 season now :tt1

Mendy34
05-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm glad Ben will be rejoining the team.

Prok
05-27-2010, 09:58 PM

Agreed. Hopefully we can go at least 2-2 out of those first 4 games then Ben comes with a chip on his shoulder the rest of the way.

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2010, 10:26 PM
NFL reinstates Roethlisberger

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/article/2009_Ben_Roethlisberger_BUF_0018.jpg

NFL STATEMENT ON STATUS OF BEN ROETHLISBERGER

Based on the reports and recommendations of our medical experts, Commissioner Goodell advised the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger today that he is cleared to return to team activities beginning next week. The commissioner will continue to monitor Roethlisberger’s progress as he begins the next phase of his recommended plan and will meet with Roethlisberger again at the appropriate time.

There has been no decision on any modification to the length of Roethlisberger’s suspension. In his April 21 disciplinary decision, Commissioner Goodell announced that Roethlisberger is suspended without pay for the first six games of the regular season. The commissioner said he would review Roethlisberger’s progress prior to the start of the regular season and consider whether to reduce the suspension to four games. Failure to cooperate and follow his plan could result in a longer suspension.

Statement from Steelers’ President, Art Rooney II:

“Commissioner Goodell informed us today that based on the information he received from the clinical evaluations, he has cleared Ben Roethlisberger to return to the Steelers’ facility to take part in both meetings and practices. We look forward to having Ben re-join his teammates on the practice field.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... bf1d5310f4 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/NFL-reinstates-Roethlisberger/82d4e900-5a47-40bd-b7c8-44bf1d5310f4)

Silverback92
05-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Tomlin messes with his head at OTA's and puts him in the Cabboose of the QB train at camp. He can make him play with the scrubs and camp bodies, as well as just making him watch. Give him that inner burner and itch, because the way i see it, Ben isnt a Steeler again till week 5 or 7 of the regular season.

SteelCrazy
05-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm just glad he's back and be a vocal leader on and off the field leading up to the start of the season. Hopefully this is a new and improved Ben mentally and possibly physically, esp. when his regular season starts in week 5. Think of all the sacks he'll have avoided throughout the 1st 4 games... :HeadBanger

costanza2k1
05-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Just a matter of time before everyone starts forgetting about this like Kobe. Err at least they won't care as much.

fordfixer
05-28-2010, 12:09 AM
:tt1 :tt1

stlrz d
05-28-2010, 12:12 AM
This is most excellent news.

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 12:27 AM
This is most excellent news.

hey, long time no hear...are you letting work get in the way of your posting again? :D

Preacher
05-28-2010, 12:33 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if Tomlin messes with his head at OTA's and puts him in the Cabboose of the QB train at camp. He can make him play with the scrubs and camp bodies, as well as just making him watch. Give him that inner burner and itch, because the way i see it, Ben isnt a Steeler again till week 5 or 7 of the regular season.

I would LOVE that move.

Make Ben work from the ground up. Of course, it would take about a day for him to jump over everyone else. But the point I think would be made. NO ONE is bigger that the organization, except for maybe Dan Rooney himself.

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Steelers "look forward to having Ben re-join his teammates"

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2010 7:38 PM ET

Pittsburgh Steelers President Art Rooney II released a statement Thursday saying that the Steelers are ready to welcome quarterback Ben Roethlisberger back to the team, following NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to permit Roethlisberger to participate in team activities.

"Commissioner Goodell informed us today that based on the information he received from the clinical evaluations, he has cleared Ben Roethlisberger to return to the Steelers' facility to take part in both meetings and practices," Rooney said in the statement. "We look forward to having Ben re-join his teammates on the practice field."

The league's official statement on the matter made clear that the decision to allow Roethlisberger back on the practice field is the result of the thorough examination that the league made Roethlisberger submit to.

"Based on the reports and recommendations of our medical experts, Commissioner Goodell advised the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger today that he is cleared to return to team activities beginning next week," the league said in its statement. "The commissioner will continue to monitor Roethlisberger's progress as he begins the next phase of his recommended plan and will meet with Roethlisberger again at the appropriate time.

The league also said it's too early to say whether Roethlisberger's six-game suspension could be reduced to four games -- or perhaps lengthened to more than six games.

"There has been no decision on any modification to the length of Roethlisberger's suspension," the league's statement said. "In his April 21 disciplinary decision, Commissioner Goodell announced that Roethlisberger is suspended without pay for the first six games of the regular season. The commissioner said he would review Roethlisberger's progress prior to the start of the regular season and consider whether to reduce the suspension to four games. Failure to cooperate and follow his plan could result in a longer suspension."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... teammates/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/27/steelers-look-forward-to-having-ben-re-join-his-teammates/)

Polamalubeast
05-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Goodell has waited a very long time before making a decision. :? :Hater

siss
05-28-2010, 10:06 AM
It was part of his plot to make Ben sweat and drive home the "we aren't kidding" message Goodell was trying to get at. The Commish is an ass, but I think he is giving Ben the kick in the ass he needs.

Tomlinator
05-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Just a matter of time before everyone starts forgetting about this like Kobe. Err at least they won't care as much.

I don't know. I thin kthis stink is going to hang around this whole season.

If the Steelers put up a bunch of wins with Ben back, I think his off season antics and suspension get mentioned every week by the talking heads. They'll really pour it on if we make the playoffs and it'll get more focus if we make a deep run and there are less teams aroiund to talk about.

If we start losing consistenly then Ben's suspension will still be mentioned, though the references will fade as the team sinks out of the playoff race.

I predict it'll only go away for 2011 and we'll just have to put up with it this year. Fortunately (or unfortunately) ESPN and NFL network highlight shows/discussions have become almost unwatchable for me. I block out as much as possible and just look at the pretty pictures.

siss
05-28-2010, 12:23 PM

I don't know. I thin kthis stink is going to hang around this whole season.

If the Steelers put up a bunch of wins with Ben back, I think his off season antics and suspension get mentioned every week by the talking heads. They'll really pour it on if we make the playoffs and it'll get more focus if we make a deep run and there are less teams aroiund to talk about.

If we start losing consistenly then Ben's suspension will still be mentioned, though the references will fade as the team sinks out of the playoff race.

I predict it'll only go away for 2011 and we'll just have to put up with it this year. Fortunately (or unfortunately) ESPN and NFL network highlight shows/discussions have become almost unwatchable for me. I block out as much as possible and just look at the pretty pictures.
This
Stated perfectly

Ghost
05-28-2010, 12:49 PM
This calls for a celebration.

Shots for all my b!tches....

siss
05-28-2010, 12:57 PM

Drinks are on Ben!

Prok
05-28-2010, 01:05 PM
I just hope this crap doesn't become a big distraction during the whole season. We need to stay focused on the task of making another SB run.

This season will tell us alot about how well Tomlin runs the team IMO.

flippy
05-28-2010, 01:06 PM

18-20 year olds welcome

Ghost
05-28-2010, 01:28 PM

18-20 year olds expected and preferred

FYP :lol:

flippy
05-28-2010, 01:30 PM

18-20 year olds only

FYP :lol:

Even simpler :lol

HeHateMe
05-28-2010, 03:17 PM
OF COURSE It will be a distraction. Media, the team. In terms of when Ben gets reps, when he doesnt etc. He should have to stay away until he can play 5th or 6th week. What good is it going to do with him there? CAUSE A BIG DISTRACTION.

Steelgal
05-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Is there an ignore button here or can we get one :Hater

SteelCrazy
05-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Go to the users profile you wish to ignore and under their name it will read "add foe", confirm, and they are on ignore list.

Prok
05-28-2010, 06:56 PM

Good question. I think the bulk of us are tired of the Ben dead horse beating and ready to move on.

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Go to HeHateMe's profile and under HeHateMe's name it will read "add foe", confirm, and HeHateMe will be on your ignore list.

fixed that for you... :lol:

Prok
05-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Go to HeHateMe's profile and under HeHateMe's name it will read "add foe", confirm, and HeHateMe will be on your ignore list.

:lol: :Bow :lol:

Steelgal
05-28-2010, 07:51 PM

Done, thanks!!!

eniparadoxgma
05-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Good question. I think the bulk of us are tired of the Ben dead horse beating and ready to move on.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

stillers4me
05-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Hey! You guys are just like us! Scary. :mrgreen:

Prok
05-28-2010, 08:06 PM
LOL

FTR I did, in fact, use the ignore feature. And honestly it was the first time i've EVER done that in years of posting. Call it a gut instinct. LOL

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
LOL

FTR I did, in fact, use the ignore feature. And honestly it was the first time i've EVER done that in years of posting. Call it a gut instinct. LOL

And it only took you one day here to realize this.

Prok
05-29-2010, 12:06 AM
LOL

I think the repetitiveness gave it away.

:Cheers

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2010, 12:46 AM
LOL

I'll summarize his 260 posts for you in one sentence:

Ben is a RAPIST who has embarrassed the franchise and the Steelers would be better off without the RAPIST.

I think that about covers it... :lol:

HeHateMe
05-29-2010, 04:21 AM
PLEASSSSE stop talking about Ben.....

Tell Ben to act like a STEELER and not a BENGAL.

Galax Steeler
05-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Hopefully this suspension will get Bens attention and hopefully we won't have anymore trouble with him. It will be good to get him back on the practice field and gettin him some reps.

Polamalubeast
05-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Hopefully this suspension will get Bens attention and hopefully we won't have anymore trouble with him. It will be good to get him back on the practice field and gettin him some reps.

I am confident that Roethlisberger will not be another mistake he made.

This offseason has been terrible because of Ben and Santonio :HeadBanger

HeHateMe
05-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Ben is who he is. IF you expect him to sit back in the pocket and be Peyton Manningesque you are mistaken, he cant. Likewise IF you expect him to be a choir boy, it aint gonna happen. You are who you are. Ben almost died in a cycle accident BUT HE CONTINUED to ride without a helmet. The man CONSTANTLY says SCREW YOU right in your face and you guys continue to hold onto hope. IF almost dying didnt change him WHAT makes you think a suspension will? TOO FUNNY

HeHateMe
05-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Is there a ignore button on this site?

NJ-STEELER
05-29-2010, 03:15 PM
HeHate,MeStupid[/color]]Is there a ignore button on this site?

yeah,

put everyone on ignore.... it will be like it is now...talking to yourself

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Roethlisberger to return Tuesday

http://www.transitpolicek9.com/images/ben-roethlisberger_n6mu.jpg

Ben Roethlisberger (Getty Images)
By Sports Xchange

Posted May 30, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger has passed his first test. Next week, he'll be on the field with the Steelers at organized team activities.

After reviewing behavioral evaluations he reviewed following the April 21 suspension, commissioner Roger Goodell cleared Roethlisberger to practice. League spokesman Greg Aiello released a statement that read
"Commissioner Goodell has advised Steelers & Ben Roethlisberger that he is cleared to return to team activities next week."

In response to the news, Steelers president Art Rooney II released a statement through the team.

"Commissioner Goodell informed us today that based on the information he received from the clinical evaluations, he has cleared Ben Roethlisberger to return to the Steelers' facility to take part in both meetings and practices. We look forward to having Ben re-join his teammates on the practice field."

In what capacity Roethlisberger will return is not known. He hasn't participated in voluntary of mandatory team workouts, first to prevent creating a major distraction during the investigation into charges he sexually assaulted a college student in a Georgia nightclub, and thereafter at the order of Goodell.

The two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback still faces a six-game suspension. Goodell reserved the right to reduce that penalty to four games, but has not done so to date.

The Steelers first scheduled workout next week is Tuesday, June 1. There are three team workouts scheduled for the week before the team breaks until July 30, the official start date of training camp.

Roethlisberger is permitted to practice and play in preseason games before starting his suspension during the regular season. He's scheduled to return, if the six-game ban is upheld, for the Steelers-Saints game Oct. 31.

NOTES, QUOTES

* Rashard Mendenhall, benched in the third game last season because he did not practice well, will be the focus of the Steelers' so-called renewed commitment to the ground game in 2010.

Mendenhall recovered nicely from that benching last season. He was installed as the starter in the fourth game after a toe injury to Willie Parker and went on to become the seventh different back in franchise history to top 1,000 yards rushing. He had 1,108 yards with an average of 4.6 per carry.

With Parker gone, Mendenhall becomes the man. Mewelde Moore is the only other back on their roster who has had a carry in the NFL.

"I feel it was a pretty good start," Mendenhall said of his 2009 season, one year after his rookie campaign ended with 19 carries and a broken shoulder in the fourth game. "Right now I feel a lot better. Having that game experience, going out now I think everything's a lot more instinctive and comfortable."

The Steelers added Jonathan Dwyer to their backfield with a sixth-round draft pick, but have done little else to beef up their running game that team president Art Rooney said needs to improve in 2010. The Steelers ranked 19th in rushing in the NFL last season.

Among the other backs on their roster are Frank Summers, a rookie put on injured reserve last season with a bad back, and Isaac Redman, who spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad after he went undrafted.

Mendenhall would like to think the Steelers will run better in 2010 but he said it's too early to determine if that will happen and if there indeed will be a heavier emphasis on the run.

"It's tough to say right now because we're just trying to get back into things and I think our offense will form into shape as we get closer to camp. As a running back, you want the ball in your hands, you want to run the ball. That doesn't seem to be our focus. But whatever's called to do, however this offense is formed and shaped, we'll be willing to do that."

Like all backs, he would love to have a fullback slamming into the line to create some holes for him, something Bruce Arians does not prefer to use in his offense.

"As a running back you want a fullback," he said. "A fullback is another set of eyes in the backfield, they kind of read and feel through things that receivers and tight ends don't normally do, so as a running back you want that."

* The Steelers report to training camp in Latrobe, Pa., July 30 and will have their annual running test that day and start practice the next.

* Coach Mike Tomlin will replace Roethlisberger at the quarterback's summer youth football camp June 21-23 in the Pittsburgh area.

"At the request of Ben Roethlisberger, I have agreed to host this year's Youth Football Camp," Tomlin said. "Ben has expressed his hopes that this outstanding community program can continue despite his absence as he addresses issues regarding his personal life. The camp already has a significant number of kids signed up who are expecting a great experience, and both Ben and I want to make sure they are not disappointed."

* Nothing has changed in the quarterback rotation with six OTAs left: Byron Leftwich runs with the first team, Dennis Dixon the second and Charlie Batch the third.

"I haven't been told anything," Dixon said. "All I can do is control myself on my reps and try to make the most of it."

* The Steelers got a scare early in practice Wednesday when first-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey crumpled in pain after 330-pound guard Trai Essex stepped on his left foot. Trainers looked at his toe and after several minutes, the guard-center returned to finish practice.

"Oh, man, 330 pounds on a toe!" Pouncey said. "I felt it a little bit at first, but I got back in there and couldn't let the guys down."

* SS Troy Polamalu continues to miss OTAs while training individually in California, as he did the previous two years.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I don't feel I'll be broken in half. Sometimes you have to use your instincts. If someone is coming full speed at you, you have to get down when need be." -- QB Dennis Dixon, on his running and get-down ability.

http://pit.scout.com/2/973534.html

Preacher
05-31-2010, 09:03 PM

I believe it is actually on your computer itself. You have to physically push it, and hold it in for about 10 seconds.

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2010, 09:08 PM

I believe it is actually on your computer itself. You have to physically push it, and hold it in for about 10 seconds.

:lol:

fordfixer
05-31-2010, 09:08 PM

:Clap :Clap :lol: :lol:

Preacher
05-31-2010, 09:14 PM
LOL

Ben is a RAPIST who has embarrassed the franchise and the Steelers would be better off without the RAPIST.

Sigh....

Anyone here who was on SF can tell you that outside of football, I am no fan of Ben anymore. . . and I do have my suspicions (where there is smoke, there is fire IMO). However, there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute. That makes him neither guilty nor innocent. Just not prosecutable. Only he and she really knows what happened. Anyone else who says they did is lying-or is full of themselves.

I fail to see the use of regurgitating the same information time and time again.

Sugar
05-31-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm a fan of both Ben and the Steelers and want to see both prosper- preferably together on the football field. Glad to see him coming back to work out with the team!

:tt2

HeHateMe
06-01-2010, 07:04 AM
LOL

Sigh....

Anyone here who was on SF can tell you that outside of football, I am no fan of Ben anymore. . . and I do have my suspicions (where there is smoke, there is fire IMO). However, there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute. That makes him neither guilty nor innocent. Just not prosecutable. Only he and she really knows what happened. Anyone else who says they did is lying-or is full of themselves.

I fail to see the use of regurgitating the same information time and time again.
Then Steeler fans need to stop calling Ray Lewis a murderer then right?

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Then Steeler fans need to stop calling Ray Lewis a murderer then right?[/quote]

Ravens fans will call Ben a rapist until the end of time and Steelers fans will call Ray-Ray a murderer forever...isn't that what good sportsmanship and rivalries are all about? :ratsuck

http://www2.raisport.rai.it/news/sport/nfl/200002/01/389739d3060a6/RayLewis1.jpg

hawaiiansteel
06-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Rich Eisen: Roethlisberger has a lot of work to do to rebuild image

Posted By: Andrew Perloff

http://i49.tinypic.com/23s7wg0.jpg

The NFL Network's Rich Eisen joined the show to talk about Ben Roethlisberger and his strategy for rebuilding his image.

Eisen said Roethlisberger has a lot of work to do. "Right now his name with synonymous associated with at the very least wasted opportunity ... at the very worst, heinous criminal acts," Roethliserger said.

Eisen said the current situation is a pickle for Big Ben and the team. When Roethlisberger practices with the first team, he takes reps away from the guy who will have to start the first four games. And Roethlisberger can only do so much until he starts playing again.

"All he's gotta do is start winning games," Eisen said. "Unfortunately for him, he may not be able to do that until Week 7 of the regular season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/dan...#ixzz0puJPlYCj