PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field to host Penguins/Capitals Winter Classic 1-1-11.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10147/1061265-100.stm

Penguins to host Captials in 2011 Winter Classic at Heinz Field
Thursday, May 27, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's official.

The Penguins will face Washington in the NHL's 2011 Winter Classic Jan. 1 at Heinz Field.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman is expected to make a formal announcement about that, along with several other high-profile league events, during a press conference in Chicago Friday.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2010, 06:19 PM
The Steelers play their last regular season game at Heinz Field two days before Christmas (Thursday, 12-23-10), so there will be 9 days to construct the rink before the Winter Classic on Saturday, 1-1-11. The Steelers last regular season game is the following day, 1-2-11, in Cleveland. If we host a home playoff game during Wild Card weekend, there would be a week to remove the hockey rink and get the field ready for football again. Let's hope that we get a top 2 seed and earn a bye, giving them an extra week to prep the field.

flippy
05-27-2010, 06:30 PM
The Steelers play their last regular season game at Heinz Field two days before Christmas (Thursday, 12-23-10), so there will be 9 days to construct the rink before the Winter Classic on Saturday, 1-1-11. The Steelers last regular season game is the following day, 1-2-11, in Cleveland. If we host a home playoff game during Wild Card weekend, there would be a week to remove the hockey rink and get the field ready for football again. Let's hope that we get a top 2 seed and earn a bye, giving them an extra week to prep the field.

Cool, but this is gonna mess up the field for the playoffs big time.

The Man of Steel
05-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Every single NBA, NHL, MLB, and NFL game should be played outdoors.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2010, 07:01 PM

NBA hardwood would get awfully slippery and dangerous if it rained. Have to switch to blacktop instead.

The Stanley Cup is awarded in June. When the Finals start this weekend, even in a northern city like Chicago, the forecasted temperatures will be in the 80's. Not exactly prime weather for outdoor hockey.

flippy
05-27-2010, 07:32 PM

NBA hardwood would get awfully slippery and dangerous if it rained. Have to switch to blacktop instead.

The Stanley Cup is awarded in June. When the Finals start this weekend, even in a northern city like Chicago, the forecasted temperatures will be in the 80's. Not exactly prime weather for outdoor hockey.

I've always felt like they should play the NBA in sand to make it harder for everyone to dunk. It would be a better sport in some ways. But I'm sure it would be tough on ankles and knees.

RushHard34
05-27-2010, 07:35 PM

I've always felt like they should play the NBA in sand to make it harder for everyone to dunk. It would be a better sport in some ways. But I'm sure it would be tough on ankles and knees.

That way, the white folks will have a chance :D

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2010, 07:42 PM

That way, the white folks will have a chance :D

I like you guys already! :Cheers

SidSmythe
05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Do these games sell out in these big stadiums???

Silverback92
05-27-2010, 09:47 PM
This game is going to sell, Im not the biggest hockey fan but Ive adopted the Pens as my Team. Im going without a doubt Cant Wait!

Jigawatts
05-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Okay Ruthless, how much is this going to cost me? :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
05-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Sweet!!

I may have to make a trip in for that.

When I lived in DC area, the Pens used to play the Crapitals every year on New Years day and I went to see them... with dry mouth and pounding temples and nausea .

The place was half Pens fans. It was awesome.

steelpride12
05-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Wow this is great news. Going to snatch tickets the second I hear about them what a great even coming to Pittsburgh and being a die hard Pens fan helps as well, great news! :Cheers

SteelBucks
05-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Do these games sell out in these big stadiums???

The previous WC's were sold out. I may have to head back home for this....Awesome news!

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Okay Ruthless, how much is this going to cost me? :lol:

Just your firstborn child. However, since you are probably pretty attached to her by now, I guess we'll accept your firstborn son as payment instead. Since you've only known him for a few days, it won't seem like as big of a loss.
:P

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Rooney on NHL Winter Classic

http://photos.upi.com/topics-PITTSBURGH-STEELERS-ANNOUNCE-NEW-COACH/7248eded0aa73c351e44edcb46ec8ac0/A_1.jpg

Statement by Steelers President Art Rooney II on the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic:

“We are excited that Heinz Field has been selected to host the upcoming Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic. It will be an exciting kickoff to the New Year and an opportunity to showcase our city and Heinz Field to hockey fans around the world.

“We welcome the chance to partner with the National Hockey League and the Penguins to bring Pittsburgh a major sporting event that will benefit the entire community.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 653bea4874 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Rooney-on-NHL-Winter-Classic/7f95b874-d973-429d-b60a-a2653bea4874)

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Can Heinz Field ever host a Super Bowl?

May 28th, 2010

http://steelersmill.com/files/2010/05/Heinz-Field1-300x191.jpg

Now that the Super Bowl has been awarded to the NJ/NY Meadowlands complex for the 2014 Super Bowl, a whole can of worms was opened thus begging the question can other cold-weather cities host the grandiose event?

I am a little bit torn when it comes to having a Super Bowl in wintry conditions. I love the appeal of playing football in the elements and having the weather play a factor. However, to make the Super Bowl such a broad appeal for the entire nation, you love the fact that you can spend a week or so in a sunny haze. A fair-weather game is fair for all. If a team plays in a cold-weather city and plays in that game against a fair-weather team, it does have a leg up.

But the more I think of it, I do like the idea of a cold-weather and possible snowstorm-type Super Bowl. It has the chance to rivet the nation. As you have read from the advocates who pushed for the NJ/NY Super Bowl, some of the best games have been played in inclement weather (i.e., the Ice Bowl, the Patriots/Raiders ‘tuck rule’ game, etc.), Those are some of the most memorable games in NFL lore and once in a while those types of games should continue all the way to the last week of the season.

As for the spectacle that the Super Bowl is (week long galas and events), there are enough indoor events to keep everyone happy and occupied.

You knew New York was the model for which the NFL would look to have its first ever cold-weather Super Bowl. Now that NJ/NY has been awarded the game, every cold-weather team has a case to follow suit. However, they don’t call New York the capital of the world for nothing. They have Times Square, the Statue of Liberty, Madison Ave., Museum and historical landmark after historical landmark.

Now that New Jersey/New York has been awarded a Super Bowl, the question next for cold weather NFL cities is what about us?

You know some if not all cold-weather franchises, and perhaps the Rooney family knowing their relationship to the Mara’s-who own the Giants, voted in favor of it in hopes it becomes a trend. The ballot was kept secret as to not let too many cold-weather city teams have visions of grandeur.

In many subtle indiscreet ways, the NFL has made it apparent Super Bowl XLVIII will be a one of a kind experience. But what’s to stop a franchise from trying?

You know franchises like the Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, Chicago Bears and your Pittsburgh Steelers will want to host the event.

Can a relatively small market city like Pittsburgh host the event? If Jacksonville can, then Pittsburgh certainly can do so.

Also, for one thing, it could reward the city the event in lieu of the fact that the Steelers are the most successful team in the Super Bowl era with six titles. It could be a coronation for one of the most visible and widely liked (notwithstanding the recent Ben Roethlisberger fiasco) franchises.

Sure, Pittsburgh does not have the appeal of some of major cities in terms of things to do, but what it has is a rabid, football crazed population that would welcome in some more fans.
Perhaps a way to make the week-wide event more special, the Pittsburgh Penguins can host a game at Heinz Field a few days before the Super Bowl. You realize how special the outdoor hockey game on New Year’s day has become, especially when Sidney Crosby and the Penguins took the first game in overtime in Buffalo? If Pittsburgh was awarded the Super Bowl, I don’t see why they can’t add another game in the outdoors. The NHL would get ratings and it would help facilitate some more revenue.

Pittsburgh is a blue-collar hard-working city that could use the economic boost that comes from hosting the Super Bowl. The Pittsburgh Steeler brand has made a ton of money for the NFL. The NFL sure could return the favor.

But for now it’s all conjecture until we see how the Super Bowl plays out in the New Jersey/New York area. But, if Pittsburgh is given a shot, I think they can host a great party.

http://steelersmill.com/2010/05/28/can- ... uper-bowl/ (http://steelersmill.com/2010/05/28/can-heinz-field-ever-host-a-super-bowl/)