PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben not expected to practice this week

fordfixer
05-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Big Ben not expected to practice this week
May 24th, 2010
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/05/24/big-ben-not-expected-to-practice-this-week/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not expected to attend practice Tuesday as the Steelers are still awaiting word from the NFL on when he can re-join the team.

It looks like Roethlisberger, who was suspended for violating the league’s personal conduct policy, will not return to offseason practices until next week at the earliest.

Commissioner Roger Goodell is in Dallas this week for the NFL owners meetings, and he probably won’t make a decision on Roethlisberger until the end of the week at the earliest.

There has been talk that Goodell would hold out Roethlisberger for at least the first two weeks of the Steelers' offseason practices if only because of perception.

Simply put, it wouldn’t look good — or maybe consistent is the better word — if Goodell took a hard line against Roethlisberger when he handed down a six-game suspension in late April and then let the two-time Super Bowl winner take part in most of the offseason practices.

It will be interesting to see which of the three quarterbacks competing to replace Roethlisberger for the first part of the 2010 season will work with the starter this week.

Byron Leftwich has gotten most of the work with the first-team offense since offseason practices resumed last week.

Coach Mike Tomlin has said Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch will also run the first-team offense before the conclusion of the voluntary practices.

Both are still waiting for that opportunity.

ter1230_4
05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
This is precisely what I expect from Roger Goodell. He will reinstate Roethlisberger at the point in time that is most advantageous to Roger Goodell, not when Roethlisberger has satisfied the required steps for reinstatement. I don't expect Goodell to reinstate Roethlisberger until the OTA's are over in June, because Goodell doesn't want to be seen as soft. Just as he won't take any action to rduce the suspension until just before the regular season commences. Goodell's attitude, like that of a prior tyrant (Louis XIV) is "L'NFL, c'est moi" (which means, "the NFL is me"). He is a royal POS and he is ruining the NFL.

feltdizz
05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
This is precisely what I expect from Roger Goodell. He will reinstate Roethlisberger at the point in time that is most advantageous to Roger Goodell, not when Roethlisberger has satisfied the required steps for reinstatement. I don't expect Goodell to reinstate Roethlisberger until the OTA's are over in June, because Goodell doesn't want to be seen as soft. Just as he won't take any action to rduce the suspension until just before the regular season commences. Goodell's attitude, like that of a prior tyrant (Louis XIV) is "L'NFL, c'est moi" (which means, "the NFL is me"). He is a royal POS and he is ruining the NFL.

When Goodell starts punishing players at random who are sitting at home playing XBOX or eating cereal then I will agree with you.

Sure seems like the players who end up in trouble are the ones he punishes.

I do have a problem with fines for spiking the ball too hard or hitting a QB like he is a football player.

Steelgal
05-25-2010, 03:26 PM

When Goodell starts punishing players at random who are sitting at home playing XBOX or eating cereal then I will agree with you.

Sure seems like the players who end up in trouble are the ones he punishes.

I do have a problem with fines for spiking the ball too hard or hitting a QB like he is a football player.

I agree that Ben deserves punishment for what he's done. But if the commissioner is just 'buying time' so he make Ben wait longer, even though the psychological exam is done then that's crap. Ben needs to get back with his teammates and start making amends for what he's done. They need to believe in him again and the only way that happens is to see him in OTAs giving 110% and hopefully in the film room.

ter1230_4
05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Feltdizz, you totally miss the point, which is not whether or not Roethlisberger deserved to be punished. The point is that the only thing that Roger Goodell considers important with respect to when Roethlisberger will be permitted to participate in team activities is how it will make Roger Goodell look. And Roger Goodell thinks that he won't look good if he allows Roethlisberger to participate in team activities too soon. If Goodell was an honest person, he would do the right thing regardless of how it makes him look.

Crash
05-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Feltdizz, you totally miss the point, which is not whether or not Roethlisberger deserved to be punished. The point is that the only thing that Roger Goodell considers important with respect to when Roethlisberger will be permitted to participate in team activities is how it will make Roger Goodell look. And Roger Goodell thinks that he won't look good if he allows Roethlisberger to participate in team activities too soon. If Goodell was an honest person, he would do the right thing regardless of how it makes him look.

Exactly. Goodell only cares about what he can get out of Ben.

He doesn't care one bit about helping Ben the PERSON.

Need proof? Five of their last ten games (when Ben would return) are on prime time television.

HeHateMe
05-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Funny how this is all Goodells fault. You homers KILL ME. Ben has no part in this at all does he? Why is Hines playing and Ben not? Why is Polamalu? YIGH YIGH YIGH

Crash
05-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Why is BLACK Vince Jackson not suspended with three convictions since 2006 and white uncharged Ben Roethlisberger is sitting 4-6 games?

SteelerNation1
05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Why is BLACK Vince Jackson not suspended with three convictions since 2006 and white uncharged Ben Roethlisberger is sitting 4-6 games?
Don't forget about Eric Foster from the Colts. Goodell is a hypocrite.

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Decision on Roethlisberger's status coming within a week

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 25, 2010 7:11 PM ET

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is currently not permitted to participate in organized team activities or otherwise be involved in the team's offseason program. But that could change soon.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said today at the league meeting that he expects to make a decision on when Roethlisberger can return to the Steelers within a week.

Goodell mandated that Roethlisberger undergo an evaluation before he is allowed to report to the Steelers' facilities. Eventually Goodell is expected to allow Roethlisberger to participate in OTAs, training camp and the preseason before he serves his suspension at the start of the regular season.

Roethlisberger was suspended for the first six games of the season for violating the NFL's personal-conduct policy. Goodell could reduce the suspension to four games if Roethlisberger does everything that's asked of him over the next four months.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...within-a-week/

MaxAMillion
05-25-2010, 11:03 PM

I think there is a significant list of black players that Goodell has suspended. Plus the Steelers white owner thought he should be suspended. You should be pretty pissed at Rooney for his handling of this entire off season. He has not been a help to the team.

Crash
05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
I think there is a significant list of black players that Goodell has suspended.

NO OTHER PLAYER has ever been suspended for violating the PCP without being charged with a crime.

Ben is the first player in NFL history to be suspended for a night of drinking gone bad even though he was not charged with a crime.

I can see Goodell not suspending the Colts player for a civil suit because Ben wasn't. But that player, like Ben in Georgia, was also investigated by the police.

So he should have been treated the same.

feltdizz
05-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Black Vince Jackson? White Ben? Half Asian Hines... Somoan Troy...

Geez... Maybe Goodell hates himself and is doing the racist reversed in a mirror ism.

WTF? Funny how people always point out the unnamed sources as proof a story is bunk but use "there is talk" as 100% proof Goodell is out for Ben's blood.

ter1230_4
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Goodell's statement today that he expects to make a decision within a week on when Roethlisberger can return to practice just proves my point that the only thing Goodell is concerned about is how Goodell looks. Roethlisberger had his evaluation more than three weeks ago. You can be sure that Goodell has had the evaluation report for at least a week by now, and even if the report is lengthy it will have a one or two page executive summary. Whatever the report's conclusion, why does Goodell need all this time to make a decision? If the report says Ben's good to go, let him return to practice. If the report says that he needs to do something else, tell Ben to do it. But no, Goodell wants to ( a)make it look like it's something that he is carefully deliberating about (even though it's a complete no-brainer either way), and (b) not be perceived to have let Ben off the hook too quickly from the practice ban. So it's all about how he looks, which makes Goodell a POS.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Goodell's statement today that he expects to make a decision within a week on when Roethlisberger can return to practice just proves my point that the only thing Goodell is concerned about is how Goodell looks. Roethlisberger had his evaluation more than three weeks ago. You can be sure that Goodell has had the evaluation report for at least a week by now, and even if the report is lengthy it will have a one or two page executive summary. Whatever the report's conclusion, why does Goodell need all this time to make a decision? If the report says Ben's good to go, let him return to practice. If the report says that he needs to do something else, tell Ben to do it. But no, Goodell wants to ( a)make it look like it's something that he is carefully deliberating about (even though it's a complete no-brainer either way), and (b) not be perceived to have let Ben off the hook too quickly from the practice ban. So it's all about how he looks, which makes Goodell a POS.
None of us know what is in the report, or what information Goodell has had access to.
At this point, to conclude that Goodell is only "concerned about how Goodell looks" is just as steep a leap to judgment as it is to conclude that Ben is guilty of rape.

NorthCoast
05-27-2010, 07:35 AM
None of us know what is in the report, or what information Goodell has had access to.
At this point, to conclude that Goodell is only "concerned about how Goodell looks" is just as steep a leap to judgment as it is to conclude that Ben is guilty of rape.

I am afraid it is just that easy. A man in Goodell's position merely needs to pick up a phone and ask a simple question of the examiner: "Is Ben ready to return to football?" Doesn't require a lot of reading, studying reports. No one is mentioning that perhaps there was an under table agreement with Rooney that Goodell would keep Ben out of OTAs...?

BURGH86STEEL
05-27-2010, 07:40 AM
I think there is a significant list of black players that Goodell has suspended.

NO OTHER PLAYER has ever been suspended for violating the PCP without being charged with a crime.

Ben is the first player in NFL history to be suspended for a night of drinking gone bad even though he was not charged with a crime.

I can see Goodell not suspending the Colts player for a civil suit because Ben wasn't. But that player, like Ben in Georgia, was also investigated by the police.

So he should have been treated the same.

I believe Ben's suspension was as a result of several incidents. I believe the organization heard of Ben's behavior around Pittsburgh. The organization collaborated with the league and gave their blessing.

I believe that Ben was headed down the wrong path. The consequences might be worse for Ben if continues down that path without any punishment. Maybe the suspension will keep Ben from putting himself in bad situations? Only time will tell. One more incident like that and I don't believe Ben will be a Steeler. Instead of complaining and comparing situations between players, people should be happy the league and organization took hard stance against Ben. Especially, if it becomes a better person.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-27-2010, 09:17 AM

I am afraid it is just that easy. A man in Goodell's position merely needs to pick up a phone and ask a simple question of the examiner: "Is Ben ready to return to football?" Doesn't require a lot of reading, studying reports. No one is mentioning that perhaps there was an under table agreement with Rooney that Goodell would keep Ben out of OTAs...?

You--and others on this board--are upset because Ben is not present at OTA's. I get that. But you are making a lot of assumptions based upon what you think you know.

What if the examiner has said, "I don't know whether Ben is ready to return to football." What if Goodell is trying to educate himself on the predatory mindset, to determine whether Ben leans that way or whether he has just been careless? What if Rooney asked Goodell to keep Ben away for awhile?

Look, I don't like everything Goodell has done, and I fear it's going to put our team
behind the curve to not have their franchise QB there at practice. But how do you know that Goodell isn't acting in what he believes is the best interest of the sport, the league, and/or the player? Give me some proof, not more speculation.

HeHateMe
05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
How come Goodell hasnt suspended Aaron Smith or Polamalu?

ter1230_4
05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
In response to Bradshawshairdresser, while obviously none of us have read the evaluation report, I will absolutely guarantee that the report has a conclusion of whether or not Roethlisberger can resume activities. The evaluators are medical professionals, and they performed their evaluation and reached a professional conclusion. They did not throw up their hands and say we don't know. The statement announcing Roethlisberger's suspension which was released by the NFL provided that Roethlisberger was required to undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation by medical professionals and that he "may not attend any team off-season activities until he has completed the evaluation and the evaluating professionals confirm with the Commissioner that Roethlisberger may resume football activities." Now it is possible that the evaluation concluded that Roethlisberger should undergo further treatment before being permitted to resume football activities, but I think it is highly unlikely that Roethlisberger would be engaging in activities such as playing a charity golf tournament last week and playing a round of golf with Natalie Gublis this week if there was some treatment that he needed to complete in order to get back on the football field. I know that most of us have been critical of Ben's Georgia incident, but I have no reason to think that he is not doing everything required of him in order to get back to practice.

As for Goodell, what you don't undersatand is that as far as he is concerned what is good for him is good for the NFL. I have seen posers like this guy before, frankly there are too many like him in public life. Goodell is going to make Roethlisberger sit until Goodell believes the the optimal moment has arrived for how Goodell will look. And Crash is right, Ben is the first NFL player ever to be suspended without having been arrested, and that also was a function of how Goodell thought he would look if he didn't suspend Ben. Goodell is a disease that will ruin the NFL.

RuthlessBurgher
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Goodell also had his hands full with league meetings in Dallas this week, culminating with the 2014 Super Bowl vote. As the commissioner of an entire league, he has numerous other duties that are more pressing than reading the Roethlisberger behavioral evaluation.