PDA

View Full Version : Redman Article

Oviedo
05-24-2010, 07:42 AM
For his fans and worshipers. Dude has asthma and come to camp last year without his inhaler. Pretty dumb. Good tidbit on Ziggy Hood working his butt off.

Q&A: Isaac Redman

Isaac Redman (AP Photo) By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted May 24, 2010

| More

When we last left running back Isaac Redman, he was the toast of training camp. But after a season on the practice squad, Redman says he's adjusted to his asthma and is now "in 10 times better shape." Here's the rest of his story.

Q: How have things gone since those days of stardom?
A: Everythingís been going real well. Iíve got the playbook down pat, know all my protections, so now Iím just out here working hard, trying to get better, and be in better shape and come in camp ready.

Q: Mike Tomlin said last year that you werenít in good condition. Did he tell you that and what have you done since?

A: Most definitely. Right now Iíd say Iím in 10 times better shape than when I went into camp last year. That says a lot because we've still got this whole summer to go and work until camp. I already know for a fact by the time camp starts being in shape is going to be the least of my worries.

Q: What'll be the most of your worries?

A: Just trying to get on this team (laughs).

Q: How bad of shape were you in last year?

A: I wasnít in terrible shape. It was just all the running and the heat and my asthma. With asthma, youíve got to be above and beyond good shape. You know youíre going to get tired fast. When you get fatigued, when your asthma gets to kicking, thereís nothing you can do.

Q: Was that a problem at camp last year?

A: Yeah, it definitely was. So this year Iíve just been working really hard with Gie (strength coach Garrett Giemont) and so right now Iím in tip-top shape already.

Q: Anyone mention to you that Jerome Bettis had asthma, and have they prescribed some of the same therapies?

A: No, they havenít. They just make sure I have an inhaler, because last camp I didnít bring an inhaler or anything because I donít really like using my inhaler. Sometimes it makes me feel woozy. I just donít like how it makes me feel, so I just figured if I come in in the best shape as possible I should be straight.

Q: How did you get into the best shape possible? Did you do anything different?

A: Last offseason I was working on my own after the OTAs. I was just at home doing my own little stuff. Now that Iíve had the chance to be here full-time, I havenít left. I havenít gone home but maybe a couple of times, but since the season has been over Iíve just been here working out the whole time. The running backs coach, Coach Kirb (Wilson), already said ĎI can tell youíre already in way better shape than what you were at this time last year.í Itís because I was able to stay here the whole time and workout all the way through.

Q: Who do you workout with?

A: Itís been a good group of people here all offseason. Itís been a lot of people. Me and David Johnson workout a lot together. A lot of the second-year players, most of us have been here. Ziggy Hoodís a workout maniac. Weíve all been trying to get better all offseason.

Q: You received a lot of acclaim last camp. Did that go to your head at all? And did any of your teammates resent all the attention for a guy who hadnít proved anything?

A: I know, in my mind, I didnít think I was better than what I really was or anything like that. I tried my best not to let that go to my head, because I knew that no matter what was said Iíve still got to make this team. That goes to show, I was put on the practice squad. Everybody likes to get talked good about, get write-ups and all that, but at the end of the day it did nothing for me.

Q: Did you notice if it bothered any of your teammates?

A: Oh, no, not at all. Itís not like that around here at all.

Q: Whatís the difference in your body? Is it weight?

A: Iím actually about the same weight I was last year. Iím more toned. I just toned it up but Iím about 240 right now and I want to come into camp about 235.

Q: Are you much more comfortable and excited about this camp?

A: Oh, most definitely. I canít wait for this camp to come. Anything I did last year is not even going to be compared to what Iím planning on doing this year.

steelblood
05-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Hopefully, Redman has grown up. If there is an injury to Mendenhall or Dwyer in camp or preseason, he'll have a great opportunity to make this team and suit up for games. Otherwise, he'll have to play lights out AND show he can be a special teams demon to have a legit shot at making the team.

aggiebones
05-24-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think its much about growing up.
He had almost no money from the NFL at the point he was trying to get ready for a season.
I think Tomlin realized he just needed a year 'in' the NFL where he could take full advantage of an opportunity. Sounds like he's made some strides though and has gotten to taste the NFL a bit. I'm sure he's hungry for more. We'll see how things go. And I think he'll have a leg up on Dwyer mostly because Dwyer will be having to learn everything now that Ike learned last year..over the full year.

He's an injury away from being the 1st/2nd down back. I hope he's ready.

Psychoward#86
05-27-2010, 11:22 PM
he's gonna have to be lights out if he even wants to make this team

RushHard34
05-28-2010, 02:20 AM
the one thing that redman has as a RB that no one else has is suddenness and glide....

Wallace108
05-28-2010, 02:30 AM
he's gonna have to be lights out if he even wants to make this team

I agree. With Dwyer in the mix, I think Redman is going to have to beat out Moore ...

Galax Steeler
05-28-2010, 05:01 AM
I see no way that Redman will beat out Moore. Moore is just sure handed and knows how to get those tuff yards on third down.

Preacher
05-28-2010, 05:28 AM
I see no way that Redman will beat out Moore. Moore is just sure handed and knows how to get those tuff yards on third down.

I don't see any way Redman makes it. Mendy and Dwyer will take his spot. Moore will be in there for a little while longer. Frank the Tank will be given another year to try and develop into a FB/RB in this system, and don't forget Stephan Logan takes up a slot as RB.

Redman will have to absolutely outshine Dwyer or blow away Frank as a FB in order to make it... IMO.

PT.
05-28-2010, 05:34 AM
with the way redman played in preseason i would like to see him beat out moore for the #2 or #3 spot

Preacher
05-28-2010, 05:37 AM
with the way redman played in preseason i would like to see him beat out moore for the #2 or #3 spot

IMO, it won't happen. Again, we have to HB's in that mold already that are ahead of him on the depth chart. MeMo is the 3rd down do it all back... I really doubt Redman can catch out of the backfield with any kind of threat down field.

Hey, I could be wrong... I AM married after all, I am wrong everyday!!

ricardisimo
05-28-2010, 06:12 AM
I think the pattern is clear: if the FO is going to err, it'll err on the side of the veterans. This year in particular, with us going retro and all. Moore will not lose that battle.

AngryAsian
05-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Agreed. I think Moore is under utilized IMHO. I think that we need to use him more like Kevin Faulk is used in the Cheats' system. We surely could insure that Mendy will not have such worn tread when we go deep in the playoffs. I hope we don't "run the wheels" of Mendy, like we did with FWP. Backfield by concensus seems to be the hallmark of the new NFL. Look what New Orleans was able to accomplish with their three-headed monster RB set.

flippy
05-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Here's my thoughts on the RB situation.

1. Mendy and Moore are the only locks. Mendy's the workhorse. And Moore is Mr. Move the Chains on 3rd Downs. I'd like to see both of these guys used together in a pony package.

2. It'll be Redman vs Dwyer for the short yardage back and I don't think Dwyer is NFL ready. If he were, he'd have gone much higher in the draft. If Redman is truly in shape, he's gonna stick. I love Redman.

3. I'd like to see Logan get a lot of work at RB. I think he's potentially a 3 down back that can alternate with Mendy. He was very impressive in Canada. Plus he gives us a great KR.

4. Summers will be cut. He can't block. He's slow. He's soft. And he got injured so fast. Maybe he'll make the PS.

5. I like McHugh as a TE/FB.

Preacher
05-28-2010, 07:00 AM

Agreed. I think Moore is under utilized IMHO. I think that we need to use him more like Kevin Faulk is used in the Cheats' system. We surely could insure that Mendy will not have such worn tread when we go deep in the playoffs. I hope we don't "run the wheels" of Mendy, like we did with FWP. Backfield by concensus seems to be the hallmark of the new NFL. Look what New Orleans was able to accomplish with their three-headed monster RB set.

Bingo. Heck, I would have loved to see Willie P. stay and spell Mendy. There is no reason for Mendy to have 25-35 carries per game, every game. Spell him and let his body rest a bit.

SteelCrazy
05-28-2010, 07:46 AM

Agreed. I think Moore is under utilized IMHO. I think that we need to use him more like Kevin Faulk is used in the Cheats' system. We surely could insure that Mendy will not have such worn tread when we go deep in the playoffs. I hope we don't "run the wheels" of Mendy, like we did with FWP. Backfield by consensus seems to be the hallmark of the new NFL. Look what New Orleans was able to accomplish with their three-headed monster RB set.

Bingo. Heck, I would have loved to see Willie P. stay and spell Mendy. There is no reason for Mendy to have 25-35 carries per game, every game. Spell him and let his body rest a bit.

I would have been thrilled if we were able to retain FWP....although I believe we got the steal of the 2010 draft with Big Jon D............he'll fill in nicely

SteelAbility
05-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Redman arguably has the highest posts-about to playing time ratio in the history of the NFL. :P :moon

stlrz d
05-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Redman arguably has the highest posts-about to playing time ratio in the history of the NFL. :P :moon

:lol:

ramblinjim
05-28-2010, 09:19 AM
:Agree

:Bow

good call...

aggiebones
05-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Its good to battle about the relatively obscure like Redman versus Dwyer. It keeps the heat off the real players.

BlastFurnace
05-28-2010, 02:30 PM

1. Mendy and Moore are the only locks. Mendy's the workhorse. And Moore is Mr. Move the Chains on 3rd Downs. I'd like to see both of these guys used together in a pony package.

2. It'll be Redman vs Dwyer for the short yardage back and I don't think Dwyer is NFL ready. If he were, he'd have gone much higher in the draft. If Redman is truly in shape, he's gonna stick. I love Redman.

3. I'd like to see Logan get a lot of work at RB. I think he's potentially a 3 down back that can alternate with Mendy. He was very impressive in Canada. Plus he gives us a great KR.

4. Summers will be cut. He can't block. He's slow. He's soft. And he got injured so fast. Maybe he'll make the PS.

I don't agree with you about Dwyer. I believe part of his problem was that he was out of shape when he showed up to the combine. I like the way Dwyer runs, decent speed with a low sense of gravity. He looks like a powerful runner as well. Kind of reminds me of Barry Foster.

I do agree with you about Logan, Summers, and McHugh. I could see Logan sticking around and getting a larger role this season. Summers showed absolutely nothing in camp last season. No speed, power, nothing. I think McHugh brings more as a FB/TE than Spaeth does...who can't even block.

I think Redman has a steep hill to climb to make this team.

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2010, 02:59 PM

http://sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/maurice-clarett-blogging-form-prison.jpg

SteelAbility
05-28-2010, 03:10 PM

http://sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/maurice-clarett-blogging-form-prison.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Stand corrected! But certainly both are 1st ballot post-to-playing time HOF.

flippy
05-28-2010, 03:11 PM

I don't agree with you about Dwyer. I believe part of his problem was that he was out of shape when he showed up to the combine. I like the way Dwyer runs, decent speed with a low sense of gravity. He looks like a powerful runner as well. Kind of reminds me of Barry Foster.

I do agree with you about Logan, Summers, and McHugh. I could see Logan sticking around and getting a larger role this season. Summers showed absolutely nothing in camp last season. No speed, power, nothing. I think McHugh brings more as a FB/TE than Spaeth does...who can't even block.

I think Redman has a steep hill to climb to make this team.

I have high hopes for Dwyer. I just think he ran out of unusual sets in college and there's gonna be some transisition for him.

We've seen Redman in the preseason. And he hits a hole hard and fast. I've seen his NFL talent. Dwyer is just a complete unknown to me for now.

Preacher
05-28-2010, 03:20 PM

:lol:

I'd have to say that was John Kuhn!

Shawn
05-28-2010, 04:30 PM

IMO, it won't happen. Again, we have to HB's in that mold already that are ahead of him on the depth chart. MeMo is the 3rd down do it all back... I really doubt Redman can catch out of the backfield with any kind of threat down field.

Hey, I could be wrong... I AM married after all, I am wrong everyday!!

I'm not sure Moore is a sure thing. Two seasons ago Moore was a favorite of Steeler coaches. They loved his savy, high motor play. Last year, not so much. He really struggled through alot of the season. With Mendenhall showing hands and increased awareness in blocking coverage I think Moore could be the man out. Mendenhall should take over 3rd down responsibilities. If Dwyer shows he can be at least as good as Moore as our #2...Moore has no place on this team.