PDA

View Full Version : The Cabana Club

Crash
05-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Here are some legal issues with the Cabana Club, who's owner has been judging Ben and milking his 15 minutes of fame for two months.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 22490.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/pittsburgh/s_522490.html)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08213/900577-54.stm

This owner obviously has no regard for human safety, nor the regard for doing things though the proper channels.

But he can go ahead and judge Ben over a $5 cover charge and rumors.....lol

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2010, 02:05 AM
Mark Baranowski, owner of The Cabana Bar in Wexford is quoted in today's article:

Starkey: No more Ben stories!

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 23, 2010

Enough with the Ben Roethlisberger stories.

Every time I turn around, somebody's telling me about the day Ben supposedly did this or the night Ben supposedly did that. It has become as irritating as the redhead's never-ending tales in "American Pie."

"This one time, at Ben camp ..."

It's a classic example of "heard" behavior -- as in, "I heard Ben yelled at a Giant Eagle checkout clerk five years ago." Piggybacking on legitimate accounts of Roethlisberger's boorish behavior, people are liable to tell you anything.

Ben triggered the stock-market meltdown.

Ben caused the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Ben played goal for the Penguins in Game 7.

Enough!

How about we let the recent Sports Illustrated cover piece serve as the last Big Ben expose we see for a while? It contained enough anecdotes to last at least through the bye week. (I'm guessing the cover shot -- a scruffy Roethlisberger pictured under the headline "The Hangover" -- won't be framed for Big Ben's man cave anytime soon.)

The story filled in the rest of the country on what a lot of us already knew: Roethlisberger often has behaved like an arrogant jerk during his six years as Steelers quarterback. That doesn't mean he committed any crimes. It just means he turned off a significant portion of the locker room and fan base, despite his mostly brilliant play.

Imagine if he were coming off a poor season.

I think it's a good thing Roethlisberger was exposed (resist punch line) over the past few months. If he isn't jarred into some form of humility by such a massive backlash -- on the heels of a second sexual assault allegation within a year -- then nothing will work.

What's amazing is that it took so long for stories of his ill-mannered ways to reach print. I never broached the matter, because I did not have on-the-record sources. A few weeks ago, I looked to see whether anything had been written on the topic from Roethlisberger's early years. I finally came across a piece in the Pittsburgh City Paper, for which local radio host Mark Madden deserves immense credit.

Madden, it seems, was the first media person to suggest Roethlisberger might not be the humble guy he seemed to be.

In a column titled "Is Ben getting too big for his britches?" that was published late in Roethlisberger's rookie year, Madden wrote of how "tales flow freely about Roethlisberger's ego growing proportionately to his accomplishments."

What sorts of tales?

Wrote Madden: "Roethlisberger snubbed the Pirates' Jason Bay, pointedly ignoring (Bay) when he came to Steelers headquarters for a Pirates-requested photo op. Chukky Okobi openly accused Roethlisberger, once a close friend, of 'big-timing' him since becoming a star. Roethlisberger berated a Steelers PR type for allowing a TV interview to run over the agreed-upon five minutes. Jerome Bettis told a reporter that the Steelers 'have some young guys who don't know what it means to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.' His eyes were fixed on Roethlisberger. All of these incidents were witnessed. None are mere rumor."

Then came a warning:

"Maybe you can't blame the kid for having a swelled cranium," Madden wrote. "He's just 22, and he's having perhaps the best season of any rookie in any sport ever. But it's the sort of thing the Steelers need to keep in check while it can still be controlled."

Whoops. That check bounced.

Five years later, credible sources are going on the record to speak of Roethlisberger's chronically appalling behavior. Mark Baranowski, owner of The Cabana Bar in Wexford, spoke to SI, then appeared on my radio show on 93.7 "The Fan."

"I know a lot of people in Pittsburgh, and (Roethlisberger) just treats everybody like crap," Baranowski said. "He doesn't respect anybody. Ben just feels like the city of Pittsburgh owes him, whether he goes to a golf course, a bar, a restaurant, a charity basketball game. I mean, it's story after story after story."

Fair enough, Mark -- and kudos for having the courage to say as much in a town where folks take their football very seriously.

But enough with the stories for now.

Let's see if Roethlisberger can write a new one.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 82526.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/columnists/starkey/s_682526.html)

Crash
05-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Yeah a bar owner with numerous violations of safety codes and has no regard for the proper paperwork being filed is credible. :roll:

When someone dies in that club I don't want to hear it.

steelblood
05-24-2010, 07:55 AM
Sure, I can buy that the Cabana Club owner may not be a reliable source. But, what does that prove or change?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Referring to The Bus calling Ben out: Ben said long ago he knew he wasn't a good teammate early on, and that he had worked to fix it. I'm pretty sure The Bus was on his side at the end, so I always figured Ben HAD turned it around.

Mister Pittsburgh
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Township is just PO'ed it didn't get its ransom money they require to review plans. A public official probably lives near the bar and wants it shut down. I don't discredit the owners statements on Ben because of failure to meet all the zoning regulations.

Crash
05-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Township is just PO'ed it didn't get its ransom money they require to review plans. A public official probably lives near the bar and wants it shut down. I don't discredit the owners statements on Ben because of failure to meet all the zoning regulations.

Don't bash Ben for "being above the people" when this owner is guilty of the same damn thing.

It's called people in glass houses.......

All they did was give this schmuck free advertising.

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Don't bash Ben for "being above the people" when this owner is guilty of the same damn thing.

and the club owner is milking it for as long as he can, pretty smart actually on his part!

Mister Pittsburgh
05-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Kindly point out where I bashed Ben please.

Comparing a bar large enough to hold 1500 people failing to meet some zoning requirements to Bens antics which reach far and wide beyond this one bar is ludacris.

Crash
05-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Kindly point out where I bashed Ben please.

I didn't say you did. The bar owner did.

Comparing a bar large enough to hold 1500 people failing to meet some zoning requirements to Bens antics which reach far and wide beyond this one bar is ludacris.

A lot of Ben's "antics" are rumor and speculation. You know? Just like Kordell and gay sex and Dan Marino's drug use?

Just like the Fox and the Hound Bar, the bar owner flat out said the SI version of their "story" was incorrect.

The Cabana Club has customers at risk for an accident for years and he's whining about a $5 cover charge? Spare me.

grotonsteel
05-26-2010, 10:46 AM
The Cabana Club owner is an publicity mongering moron...

I think the owner forgot that Big Ben brings enough business to his club to recover that 5 dollars cover charge. Big Ben = free publicity for that club + more crowd in the club to see Big Ben.

anger 82&95
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM

I think the owner forgot that Big Ben brings enough business to his club to recover that 5 dollars cover charge. Big Ben = free publicity for that club + more crowd in the club to see Big Ben.Let’s see, a disingenuous club owner attempting to circumvent zoning laws while prevaricating like a politician to hike attendance at his “club.” His penalty should be to change the name of his establishment to Copacabana and invite Barry Manilow to croon away on a nightly basis.

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

I think the owner forgot that Big Ben brings enough business to his club to recover that 5 dollars cover charge. Big Ben = free publicity for that club + more crowd in the club to see Big Ben.Let’s see, a disingenuous club owner attempting to circumvent zoning laws while prevaricating like a politician to hike attendance at his “club.” His penalty should be to change the name of his establishment to Copacabana and invite Barry Manilow to croon away on a nightly basis.

I'm top banana, at Cope's Cabana!

God, I miss those post-game shows... :cry:

Mable01
08-31-2012, 05:18 AM
I was really amazed to know about such actions of owners of the club. I wonder who would think of buying that club after their unreliable action.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
08-31-2012, 12:22 PM
I was really amazed to know about such actions of owners of the club. I wonder who would think of buying that club after their unreliable action.

Crash Mable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pem97kzFOmQ

He's ba-ack!!