PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bradshaw is still a winner

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2010, 02:45 AM
QB still a winner

Published: May 20, 2010

Terry Bradshaw was among eight notable speakers at the Get Motivated Business Seminar held at the Richmond Coliseum on Wednesday.

They included Rudy Giuliani, Zig Ziglar, Rick Belluzzo, Tim Timmons, Dr. Robert Schuller, Gen. Colin Powell and via satellite, Sarah Palin.

Giuliani is America's mayor, Ziglar is the No. 1 motivator in the country, Belluzzo is the legendary president of Microsoft, Timmons is a top sales training expert, Schuller is one of America's best inspiration speakers, Powell is a world famous soldier and statesmen, and Palin the former governor of Alaska and vice-presidential candidate.

http://davepear.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Terry_Bradshaw.jpg

And then there is Bradshaw, the only one on the dais with athletic success. At 61, one of the five mainstays on Fox NFL Sunday is the former quarterback with the Pittsburgh Steelers and played 14 seasons in the NFL under the tutelage of Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll. In a six-year span, he won four Super Bowl titles with Pittsburgh (1974, 1975, 1978 and 1979), becoming the first quarterback to do so, and led the Steelers to eight AFC Central championships. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1989, his first year of eligibility.

The best part of the Louisiana Tech graduate, is he had failed as often as he has had success. And his success is immeasurable. But he loves to talk about his failures and he said there is nothing in the world he hates more than failing. So it becomes his motivation.

Bradshaw was the first player selected in the 1970 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers; the Steelers drew the first pick in the draft after winning a coin flip tiebreaker with the Chicago Bears due to both teams having equivalent 1-13 records in 1969. However, the strong-arm QB once called the Blond Bomber, struggled though his rookie year before becoming the starter in 1970. During that time, he was labeled a draft bust, he was erratic and often his intelligence came into question.

But the four Super Bowls, which has only been matched by Joe Montana, proves he overcame his pitfalls and became the greatest QB in the game. More importantly, a winner of monumental proportion.

However, since his playing days he has failed and failed often. He attempted to breed and raised cattle and the business went awry. He then owned quarter horses and that went worse. Also, Bradshaw was married three times, but each one has ended in divorce. However, he does have two daughters, Rachel and Erin, who have become his pride and joy.

Another thing about Bradshaw, who is a born-again Christian that often goes unnoticed because of his out-going personality, is he has battled both anxiety and clinical depression. He has chosen to speak openly (once in-depth in Sports Illustrated) about anxiety and depression to help overcome the negative stigma associated with it. Also, he attempts to help people get help and has discussed the medications he takes.

During all this time, Bradshaw tried entertainment. He was a color analyst when he first started broadcasting and moved on to be a NFL pre-game host with Greg Gumbel on CBS before landing the present Fox gig.

He has also written or co-written five books and recorded six albums of country/western and gospel music. The irony is when I got tickets to attend the seminar from my work, I was just finishing up his third book, It is only a game.

If I was asked afterwards "Is he a great speaker?" The answer would be no. But he was the most entertaining speaker of the day. To just to hear his story, and the obstacles to become one of the greatest football players to ever play the game, is a fun ride because he mixes in stories with a sense of humor. And 27 years after retirement be the glue that holds together the nation's best NFL pregame show.

Bradshaw there is not a day he wakes up, like he did on Wednesday in a hotel room in Sarasota, Fla., where he doesn't thank God for a brand new day. And he adds to that the reason he uses humor is to make people smile. His most poignant moment came when he said none of his success is because of him. It is the gifts that God gave him combined with the people he has teamed with over the years. He mentioned the names of every single Steelers offensive player and said he would have been nothing without them.

Likewise the NFL Sunday Show.

On Wednesday, Bradshaw hit on about five topics but the most notable - achieving success despite adversity. His best story was about Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady and Drew Brees. First he talked about how he called his own plays, and he was considered stupid, and they are considered brilliant but none of them call their own plays. Then, he reeled off their salaries and told the crowd in Richmond a secret, "none of these four guys is ever coming to the Richmond Coliseum to speak to you at a motivational seminar."

The crowd roared and Bradshaw secured another victory.

As evangelist Billy Graham once said: "Comfort and prosperity have never enriched the world as much as adversity has."

Bradshaw has faced adversity and he now has comfort and prosperity. It was nice to walk just one day in his shoes even if it was for only 30 minutes.

http://progress-index.com/sports/qb-...inner-1.797421

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-21-2010, 07:22 AM
I love Terry Bradshaw - "Thank you Terry!!".

He motivated ME, third or 4th hand, just by reading about him in this post!!

Djfan
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Great post. Thanks.

SteelCrazy
05-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I miss Steelers ball from the 70's......Terry Bradshaw, Mean Joe and all the others I need not mention. It was great being a die hard Steelers fan as a kid in the 70's. I love the Steelers as much today, but in my mind, there will never be another team like that.

Thanks for the post.

SteelHoss
05-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Its funny that it was just this past week I was wondering if I loved those '70s teams more over todays'. After careful consideration. YES! I loved those '70 teams a tad more! :tt1 :Clap

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2010, 06:09 PM
People always tend to have the fondest memories of sports teams from their youth, when the sport seemed more pure and not as much of a cutthroat business.

Unfortunately for me, since I was born in 1975, I was too young to witness (or at least remember...I was in utero for the first Super Bowl against Minnesota and 6 months old for the first Dallas Super Bowl) those great teams while it was happening...I started to get into football in the 80's, and we sucked then. Oh well.

So personally, I'd have to go with today's team over my childhood teams featuring guys like Walter Abercrombie, Louis Lipps, Bubby Brister, David Little, and Bryan Hinkle.