PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see anything about QBs from yesterday (5-19-10) OTA?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-20-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm just wondering who ran 1st team, how Dixon did, etc.

I've read a few things here where Dixon isn't lighting them up yet this year. Hope he does soon!

Oviedo
05-20-2010, 08:49 AM
From Jim Wexell's OTA #4 report on SteelCityInsider

This series won’t devolve into a daily spring QB analysis, but it leads off again today in fairness to Dennis Dixon.
Number 10 came off his worst practice Tuesday with his best on Wednesday, but it was a practice in which Dixon was asked only to manage the short game. He didn’t have the opportunity to show off as a passer, but after a confidence-buster of a Tuesday practice, this step was necessary. Most importantly, Dixon didn’t make any mistakes Wednesday.

Dixon’s best pass was a cross-field throwback to tailback Isaac Redman all alone on the sideline to gain 15, 20 yards. Dixon rolled right, looked for his primary receiver over the middle, and checked down to Redman. Dixon did get the chance to show off his mobility later by faking a handoff on a read-option play and sprinting around left end. The coaches liked it enough to blow the whistle on team drills for the day

Notable Plays: QB Byron Leftwich threw a curl to primary receiver and fullback Frank Summers, but the ball bounced off Summers’ helmet-high hands and into the downfield arms of Heath Miller. Summers bounced back later by catching a Dixon flare out of the backfield in stride for a sizable gain.

* Mike Wallace read the blitz the way Santonio Holmes wanted to against Cincinnati, and Leftwich hit him for a first down over the middle.

* Saddled with first-year third-teamers, Batch harshly checked out of a misalignment as both sides of the ball raised their chatter level with a series of calls and counter-calls. Batch took the snap, turned to his right to hand-off to … no one … and curled up to take a loss. To Batch’s credit, he didn’t chew anyone out.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-20-2010, 08:57 AM
From Jim Wexell's OTA #4 report on SteelCityInsider

[quote]This series won’t devolve into a daily spring QB analysis, but it leads off again today in fairness to Dennis Dixon.
Number 10 came off his worst practice Tuesday with his best on Wednesday, but it was a practice in which Dixon was asked only to manage the short game. He didn’t have the opportunity to show off as a passer, but after a confidence-buster of a Tuesday practice, this step was necessary. Most importantly, Dixon didn’t make any mistakes Wednesday.

Dixon’s best pass was a cross-field throwback to tailback Isaac Redman all alone on the sideline to gain 15, 20 yards. Dixon rolled right, looked for his primary receiver over the middle, and checked down to Redman. Dixon did get the chance to show off his mobility later by faking a handoff on a read-option play and sprinting around left end. The coaches liked it enough to blow the whistle on team drills for the day

Notable Plays: QB Byron Leftwich threw a curl to primary receiver and fullback Frank Summers, but the ball bounced off Summers’ helmet-high hands and into the downfield arms of Heath Miller. Summers bounced back later by catching a Dixon flare out of the backfield in stride for a sizable gain.

* Mike Wallace read the blitz the way Santonio Holmes wanted to against Cincinnati, and Leftwich hit him for a first down over the middle.

* Saddled with first-year third-teamers, Batch harshly checked out of a misalignment as both sides of the ball raised their chatter level with a series of calls and counter-calls. Batch took the snap, turned to his right to hand-off to … no one … and curled up to take a loss. To Batch’s credit, he didn’t chew anyone out.

[/quote:2n70pwwu]

Thanks, Ovi! Maybe today we'll hear how Thursday's practice went. I'm glad Dixon bounced back on Wed.

BTW - did I see the word http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1098/1291699881_0766328a1e.jpg

again? Catching a pass for a 15 yard gain???!!!

(I'm not really as much of a fanatic of this guy as it looks like from these posts, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ...)

Oviedo
05-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Leftwich has been solid since Day 1 and he seems to be developing a good relationship with Wallace. He by far has the strongest arm of all the QBs and probably the best deep ball.

Baring injury I think he is the "Ben fill in"