PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Arians: Power run game lacking

fordfixer
05-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Steelers' Arians: Power run game lacking
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 20, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 82019.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_682019.html)

Speaking for the first time since team president Art Rooney II said the Steelers need to put more emphasis on the running game, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians acknowledged Wednesday that improvement has to be made in that area.

"At the end of the game, in the four-minute (offense) to run out the clock and not punt the ball, short yards, we have to be more efficient," Arians said after practice yesterday.

Rashard Mendenhall rushed for more than 1,108 yards last season, but the Steelers had problems in short-yardage situations.

Inconsistency in the power running game is why the Steelers were tied for 21st in the NFL last season in offense inside the opponents' 20-yard line they managed touchdowns just 48.2 percent of the time even though they were seventh in the league in total offense.

"I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem," Arians said. "They got addressed (in 2008) with Gary Russell. Now is it going to be Rashard? It could be Isaac Redman, it could be by a bunch of guys. Is it a back or is it by committee? This time of year you get your running game going, but in training camp you find out that short-yardage stuff. You win the job that way."

Arians has been a lighting rod for criticism when the running game has bogged down, in large part because of his philosophy.

Arians has generally eschewed the use of a traditional fullback and instead used a tight end or tight end/fullback as an extra blocker in the backfield.

The Steelers were 19th in the NFL in rushing (112.1 yards per game) in 2009.

Arians said he had higher hopes for the ground game going into the season.

"When we came out of training camp last year, we were running the ball as well as we have since Super Bowl XL (in 2005)," Arians said. "We're having success in training camp, running the ball pretty good. Now the problem occurs when you see a different style, when you see penetrating 4-3 (defensive linemen). It's a totally different technique for the offensive line and tight ends."

The Steelers played opponents with 4-3 defenses in their first three games in 2009 as well as in three of their four preseason contests.

They will have to figure out a way to solve the kind of base defenses they don't practice against on a daily basis.

The reason: their first three opponents this season employ 4-3 defenses.

The Steelers ran the ball 44.4 percent of the time last season, but Arians said the sheer number of running attempts don't necessarily translate into a successful running game.

He said the Steelers will continue to change plays at the line of scrimmage if a defense is loading up to stop the run.

Citing Santonio Holmes' nine-catch, 131-yard performance in Super Bowl XLIII, Arians said, "there were seven or six catches Santonio had that were running plays. When safeties blitz that are unblockable and you have runs called ... it's not a 'number' of runs because we threw the ball out there and got a bunch of yards.

"That happens quite often and what we do, we take some short screen stuff and treat that as running game."

Flasteel
05-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Is Arians serious? He believes the problem is because of the mysterious 4-3 alignment? His guys can't adjust to the most common defensive front in football? Wow.

eniparadoxgma
05-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Is Arians serious? He believes the problem is because of the mysterious 4-3 alignment? His guys can't adjust to the most common defensive front in football? Wow.

What do you expect? Dude's a "lighting" rod!

Oviedo
05-20-2010, 07:50 AM

I brought up the point on this board last year that we struggle against 4-3 defenses. I think the majority of the losses over the past two years have been against 4-3 teams.

I thought this is what the scout team was for though. To prepare for the opponent you are playing.

I'm really liking what tidbits we are getting out of the OTAs about Demetrius Taylor, our 270lb coverted DT to FB, who seems to have speed and is catching the ball out of the backfield well. I thought I read somewhere in the past couple of weeks that he ran a 4.7 40. He is probably a year away but it would be nice to see him in the backfield.

I'd also like to see McHugh as the combo FB/TE over Johnson. McHugh was very good as a FB in our last Super Bowl season.

feltdizz
05-20-2010, 08:01 AM
The problem is the "penetration" of the DL. Our interior OL was terrible at getting a push.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Did he say http://www.freefoto.com/images/908/16/908_16_862---Red-Man-at-Pedestrian-Crossing_web.jpg ?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Steelers' Arians: Power run game lacking
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 20, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 82019.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_682019.html)

Speaking for the first time since team president Art Rooney II said the Steelers need to put more emphasis on the running game, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians acknowledged Wednesday that improvement has to be made in that area.
"I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem," Arians said. "They got addressed (in 2008) with Gary Russell. Now is it going to be Rashard? It could be Isaac Redman, it could be by a bunch of guys. Is it a back or is it by committee? This time of year you get your running game going, but in training camp you find out that short-yardage stuff. You win the job that way."...

Did he say http://www.freefoto.com/images/908/16/908_16_862---Red-Man-at-Pedestrian-Crossing_web.jpg ?

Mister Pittsburgh
05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
If we don't practice against a 4-3 alignment when preparing for a 4-3 team we are going to play then something is seriously wrong.

StarSpangledSteeler
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm really liking what tidbits we are getting out of the OTAs about Demetrius Taylor, our 270lb coverted DT to FB, who seems to have speed and is catching the ball out of the backfield well. I thought I read somewhere in the past couple of weeks that he ran a 4.7 40. He is probably a year away but it would be nice to see him in the backfield.

i know i shouldn't be getting this excited either over an UDFA rookie conversion project but i can't help it. Just the thought of having someone on our roster who could knock ray-ray on his a$$ gets me all tingly inside. The fact that he played DT is such a plus because he understands blocking and getting off blocks from a tackler's perspective, plus the leverage required to move big bodies. It's almost like having an extra pulling guard in the backfield. I think Lorenzo Neal was an ex-LB which certainly helped him. I can't wait to see how he does with the pads on.

birtikidis
05-20-2010, 01:16 PM

I brought up the point on this board last year that we struggle against 4-3 defenses. I think the majority of the losses over the past two years have been against 4-3 teams.

I thought this is what the scout team was for though. To prepare for the opponent you are playing.

I'd also like to see McHugh as the combo FB/TE over Johnson. McHugh was very good as a FB in our last Super Bowl season.
Ovi, not to be captain obvious here, but of course the majority of our losses have come against the 4-3 defense... it's what we see more than any other defense.
he compares how well we ran in 2005 to last years pre season.. the big difference was dan krieder. we don't have that guy on the team. he wants to use a 3rd string TE (who isn't good at catching a pass or blocking and wouldn't even be on the team if Arains was retarded) as our fullback.. he's a moron.
I like the idea of Taylor too... i just don't see him making the team because of BA.