PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ward still hampered by hamstring

fordfixer
05-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Steelers' Ward still hampered by hamstring
By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 20, 2010
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 82012.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_682012.html)

It's only May, Steelers veteran receiver Hines Ward reminded reporters Wednesday.

"This is like touch football right now,'' Ward said after missing another voluntary practice due to a strained hamstring he suffered last month.

The Steelers aren't wearing pads and are working out in shorts.

"I can run, it's just why am I in a hurry to come back to run a curl route?'' Ward said. "It's not good to come out here and re-injure it, so I'm not good (for) Latrobe (when training camp opens in July).''

Coach Mike Tomlin told Ward to take his time before returning to practice. "I still have 3-4 weeks left,'' Ward said about the final voluntary workouts, which conclude June 10.

While he's out, Ward said the spotlight is on veteran Antwaan Randle El, who re-joined the Steelers after spending the last four seasons with the Washington Redskins.

"Randle El is a team guy,'' Ward said. "He's getting moved around. He's accepted his role. We feel like we won't miss a beat at that spot.''

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau paid tribute to inside linebacker and defensive co-captain James Farrior by wearing his jersey at yesterday's practice.

"That's my guy. Farrior's my man,'' LeBeau said.

Veteran Byron Leftwich continued working with the first-team offense yesterday as Tomlin seeks a replacement for suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Asked if Leftwich should be the favorite to start against Atlanta in the 2010 opener, Ward said he has no idea who will be under center against the Falcons.

Oviedo
05-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately, this is the last rodeo for Hines. I doubt he plays 16 games this season. Hopefully ARE can get it done in his absence and Emmanuel Sanders can have Mike Wallace-like rookie success.

SteelBucks
05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Unfortunately, this is the last rodeo for Hines. I doubt he plays 16 games this season. Hopefully ARE can get it done in his absence and Emmanuel Sanders can have Mike Wallace-like rookie success.

I'm not worried about Hines. We all know he's not big on OTA's or camp and always seems to have a nagging injury that miraculously heals by September.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
"That's my guy. Farrior's my man,'' LeBeau said.

I'm a big Farrior fan too, but hopefully that opinion does not cloud LeBeau's judgment if Potsie shows that he is even slower this year, and we'd be better off with Timmons in Farrior's buck spot and Foote in the mack.

williar
05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Yawn....We go through this every year with Hines and all he does is go out there on Sunday's and prove that he is still our most productive and reliable receiver. Hines is doing exactly what he needs to be doing, mentoring our young WRS and preparing for another season the way a 13-year vet should. I wouldn't care if he didn't see the field until the last preseason game.

Steelerphile
05-20-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't think it is a good sign. The regular season has been over for five months and if he is still recovering from the hamstring problems from late in the season of 2009, then I am a little worried.

I know that Hines will take every therapy there is to get ready and his willpower is awesome but there comes a time that the body just won't allow you to continue. I hope he has at least one good one left.

williar
05-20-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't think it is a good sign. The regular season has been over for five months and if he is still recovering from the hamstring problems from late in the season of 2009, then I am a little worried.

I know that Hines will take every therapy there is to get ready and his willpower is awesome but there comes a time that the body just won't allow you to continue. I hope he has at least one good one left.

That is all the more reason they shouldn't have thrown Santonio out with the bath water. Our receiving core was the strength of the team and arguably the best in the league, now it's almost that time to rebuild the entire unit.