PDA

View Full Version : Five Most Underpaid Players

ANPSTEEL
05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Woodley comes in at #3.

Good list, even though it is from pft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-players/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/18/pft-daily-five-most-underpaid-players/)

1. Revis
2. Chris Johnson
3. Woodley
4. Kevin Williams
5. Beason

Revis, Johnson, Woodley, Beason- all 1st contracts- all vastly underpaid.

That 30% increase rule is really screwing a bunch of players.

Northern_Blitz
05-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Here's my question.

Let's say we put the franchise tag on Woodley. That way he gets the avg of the top 5 at his position. But, that would be an increase of > 30%.

So, can we put the tag on Woodley?

ANPSTEEL
05-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Here's my question.

Let's say we put the franchise tag on Woodley. That way he gets the avg of the top 5 at his position. But, that would be an increase of > 30%.

I don't know all the nuances in this rule -

but as I understand it- the rule is in place while there is no active CBA.

You can not designate the Franchise or Transition tags on a player still under contract.

The rule is currently impacting players still under contract, but significantly outplaying their contracts. (As the players on this list)

The problem becomes:
A- if a new CBA is created with out the Franchise tag allocation- which is a big sticking point for the union.

B- if the new CBA is not enacted until after the beginning of next Free Agency (March 31 2011??)

In both of these scenarios the player falling under this situation will get into the Free Agent market without their existing teams having the vehicle or ability to extend/re-negotiate.

The Man of Steel
05-18-2010, 04:42 PM
No one playing in the NFL today is "underpaid."

calmkiller
05-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Here's my question.

Yes we can Tag Woodley. The only problem with that is if/when a new CBA is negotiated there is no guarantee that it will include the use of a Tag. So if you tag him and the new CBA is in place that contains no use of a Tag he is instantly a Free Agent. You can sign him at that point, but the Steelers don't do bidding wars. Its a risk.

StarSpangledSteeler
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Here's my question.

Yes we can Tag Woodley. The only problem with that is if/when a new CBA is negotiated there is no guarantee that it will include the use of a Tag. So if you tag him and the new CBA is in place that contains no use of a Tag he is instantly a Free Agent. You can sign him at that point, but the Steelers don't do bidding wars. Its a risk.

I still like your mock draft. ha. I'm happy with our guys but apart from Pouncey, i would've traded the whole rest of our draft for Mitchell, Blount, Cook, and Spikes.

Shawn
05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Here's my question.

I believe so because it's basically like giving the guy a one year contract with 30% increase in base and a huge signing bonus. Either way he is signed for a year.

Shawn
05-18-2010, 06:41 PM

I would disagree. We can say what we wish about it being a sport and the makings of hundreds of thousands a year for the underpaid players. But, the market dictates pay in all walks of life...actors, laywers, physicians, athletes etc. If they are getting less than the market demands for their skill set then they are underpaid.

Jom112
05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Woodley comes in at #3.

Good list, even though it is from pft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... d-players/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/18/pft-daily-five-most-underpaid-players/)

1. Revis
2. Chris Johnson
3. Woodley
4. Kevin Williams
5. Beason

Revis, Johnson, Woodley, Beason- all 1st contracts- all vastly underpaid.

That 30% increase rule is really screwing a bunch of players.

Unless there is another Kevin Williams than the DT from the Vikings then I would replace him on that list with Haloti Ngata.

Kevin Williams signed a 7 year contract that could be worth $50 Mil. While Ngata is playing under a 5 year $11.9 Mil contract...

frankthetank1
05-18-2010, 07:54 PM
so are the jets in the same situation we are in with woodley? they were in the same draft. the steelers are the best in the nfl in spending money wisely. i think they will pay woodley in whatever way they have to in order to get around the 30% rule. i would be shocked if the steelers ever let woodley get away.

phillyesq
05-18-2010, 08:19 PM

I would disagree. We can say what we wish about it being a sport and the makings of hundreds of thousands a year for the underpaid players. But, the market dictates pay in all walks of life...actors, laywers, physicians, athletes etc. If they are getting less than the market demands for their skill set then they are underpaid.

In addition to market forces, you have to look at the value created. Players like Woodley generate revenue for the team and the league. Does the value he creates (in ticket sales, tv ratings, jersey sales, etc.) outweigh his salary? If so, then he is underpaid by that measure.

birtikidis
05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
the big difference in woodley and revis (and willis for that matter) is that they were 1st round picks so, 30% increase for them is significantly more than what woodley made.

Flasteel
05-18-2010, 09:52 PM

In addition to market forces, you have to look at the value created. Players like Woodley generate revenue for the team and the league. Does the value he creates (in ticket sales, tv ratings, jersey sales, etc.) outweigh his salary? If so, then he is underpaid by that measure.

That's just great coming from our resident doctor and lawyer. :lol: Is that how you guys justify outrageous prices for your services? Because you can get it? :P

It's greed...pure and simple. Whether that greed is inherent to the individual, industry, or some combination of both, it is what it is. Don't try and paint extortion out to be nothing more than a product of a free-market society. There's a little more going on.

Northern_Blitz
05-18-2010, 10:07 PM

That's just great coming from our resident doctor and lawyer. :lol: Is that how you guys justify outrageous prices for your services? Because you can get it? :P

It's greed...pure and simple. Whether that greed is inherent to the individual, industry, or some combination of both, it is what it is. Don't try and paint extortion out to be nothing more than a product of a free-market society. There's a little more going on.

His time (or anyone's) is a scarce resource. They should sell it out at the price the market would bear.

You're kidding yourself if you think you'd work for $8 an hour is someone was willing to pay you $100 for the same work. Everyone doing what's best for themselves has shown itself to be the best way to advance us all as a collective.

Flasteel
05-18-2010, 10:27 PM

His time (or anyone's) is a scarce resource. They should sell it out at the price the market would bear.

You're kidding yourself if you think you'd work for $8 an hour is someone was willing to pay you $100 for the same work. Everyone doing what's best for themselves has shown itself to be the best way to advance us all as a collective.

What are you even talking about?

Shawn
05-18-2010, 10:50 PM

:lol:

Hey I think I'm underpaid as well. I'm thinking about a hold out. :D

(yes I say that tongue in cheek.)

Flasteel
05-18-2010, 11:17 PM

:lol:

Hey I think I'm underpaid as well. I'm thinking about a hold out. :D

(yes I say that tongue in cheek.)

I'm maybe slightly underpaid...but not by much. :D

For the record, the greed comment was intended towards the ridiculous salaries commanded by actors, athletes, corporate CEOs, and such. From past discussions I've had on the subject, I put an arbitrary salary of $1M annually as a good indicator of greed (within the individual or industry) being involved.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-18-2010, 11:18 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying these guys are worth it, BUT ...

If someone is willing to pay a certain amount for someone else's services, how is it greed to agree to that?

It's not like one party is dying of thirst and just wants a glass of water, and the other has a truck full of Dasani and won't part with a bottle for less than $500. It's just two sides negotiating.

Myself, I'd rather see those salaries split among 25 teachers or social workers, but hey - it's a free country.

Remember ... "You can't spell 'agreed' without 'greed'". :?

My :2c (willing to part with them for 4 cents, however!!)