PDA

View Full Version : We make the playoffs according to SI!

Discipline of Steel
05-17-2010, 08:07 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... ing/1.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/16/ranking/1.html)

12. Pittsburgh. Surprise: They survive a month without Ben Roethlisberger to eke out the final spot over New England and Houston, assuming Roethlisberger's ban is only four weeks. -- I hope Dennis Dixon gets a shot the first four weeks, because he's good enough to win with. But they'll need defensive playmaking from LaMarr Woodley and Troy Polamalu to win at least twice while they make do at quarterback. This is the true test of a good coach, making sure your team wins when it's not at its best. Mike Tomlin didn't do a great job at that last year. But he's young, he's still learning, and I think he'll respond better this summer in camp and in September.

Sorry Gloom and Doomers

SteelerNation1
05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/16/ranking/1.html

12. Pittsburgh. Surprise: They survive a month without Ben Roethlisberger to eke out the final spot over New England and Houston, assuming Roethlisberger's ban is only four weeks. -- I hope Dennis Dixon gets a shot the first four weeks, because he's good enough to win with. But they'll need defensive playmaking from LaMarr Woodley and Troy Polamalu to win at least twice while they make do at quarterback. This is the true test of a good coach, making sure your team wins when it's not at its best. Mike Tomlin didn't do a great job at that last year. But he's young, he's still learning, and I think he'll respond better this summer in camp and in September.

Sorry Gloom and Doomers

We should make the playoffs assuming Ben is Ben when he returns. If we can go at least 2-2, I'm confident Ben & the recharged running game can win 9 of the last 12.

plainnasty
05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Last year SI predicted the Saints to go 6-10. So their prediction doesn't mean too much.

Discipline of Steel
05-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Last year SI predicted the Saints to go 6-10. So their prediction doesn't mean too much.

OK... thats -1

What was their percentage of accurate playoff predictions?

SteelCrazy
05-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Lets skip the regular season and go with what SI says!!!! I think we make the playoffs too, but I'm pretty sure the NFL doesn't care about either of our predictions and still play the regular season, just in case....

Captain Lemming
05-18-2010, 12:32 AM

OK... thats -1

SI has more than one set of predictions. You reference Peter King.

Looking to Peter King for accurate predictions is like going to MC Hammer for financial advice.

King record?

07 He predicted the Bengals for the North, with Steelers missing the playoffs. He had the Saints and Chargers in the SB
- Real result? Steelers won the North. Giants over NE in the SB.

08 he had the Browns from the north and we miss the playoffs entirely. NE and Dallas in the SB
- Real result- We win the division and the SB over the Cards. He had NEITHER SB team making the playoffs at all.

09 He had the Steelers winning the North division, and NE over the Bears in the SB.
- Real result, we failed to make the playoffs. Saints and Colts in the SB.

Last three seasons he was dead wrong about our division every year. Did not hit on a single SB participant.

While I am not a hater, Peter King is the last one I would look to for any kind of confidence in the Steelers. He is more like the "kiss of death".

hawaiiansteel
05-18-2010, 02:44 AM
Looking to Peter King for accurate predictions is like going to MC Hammer for financial advice.

that's pretty funny stuff right there! i'm gonna have to use that one... :lol:

SteelAbility
05-18-2010, 06:28 AM
[quote=plainnasty]Last year SI predicted the Saints to go 6-10. So their prediction doesn't mean too much.

OK... thats -1

King record?

07 He predicted the Bengals for the North, with Steelers missing the playoffs. He had the Saints and Chargers in the SB

08 he had the Browns from the north and we miss the playoffs entirely. NE and Dallas in the SB
- Real result- We win the division and the SB over the Cards. He had NEITHER SB team making the playoffs at all.

09 He had the Steelers winning the North division, and NE over the Bears in the SB.

Last three seasons he was dead wrong about our division every year. Did not hit on a single SB participant.

While I am not a hater, Peter King is the last one I would look to for any kind of confidence in the Steelers. He is more like the "kiss of death".[/quote:26mwsik5]

Or like going to Britney Spears for a geography lesson. :lol: Or was it Jessica Simpson who said "I've never been overseas" when asked if she'd ever been to Canada.

Discipline of Steel
05-18-2010, 06:32 AM
[quote=plainnasty]Last year SI predicted the Saints to go 6-10. So their prediction doesn't mean too much.

OK... thats -1

King record?

While I am not a hater, Peter King is the last one I would look to for any kind of confidence in the Steelers. He is more like the "kiss of death".[/quote:2uusfg8r]

Excellant work Cap'n! I think Ill stick his predictions in the Nostradamus thread so we all have someone to beat up on. :twisted:

JTP53609
05-18-2010, 07:34 AM
I liked the M.C. Hammer analogy very much....let me use a few others,

like asking Ray Lewis how to become a better person
like asking Don King how to comb ones hair
like asing Tiger Woods how to be faithful
like asking for advice on how to run a baseball team from dave littlefield

Sugar
05-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Pretty much everybody picked us to make the playoffs last year too. If I recall, the SB champs were returning most everyone and had a soft schedule. :roll:

aggiebones
05-18-2010, 11:29 AM
I think if you look at all the prognosticators they are all dead most of the time.

I don't like King, but he's no worse at it than the rest of them.

Jom112
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I think if you look at all the prognosticators they are all dead most of the time.

No, he is worse than most.

I remember back in 2007, Peter King said the AFC East would be the best division in football. Then the Dolphins won 1 game, Jets 4 and the Bills 7.

It's one thing to be wrong about individual teams, but to claim one division as the best in the league and then they end up being the worst that season? He's just horrible...

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm guessing you meant to say "dead wrong" here, but it was funny thinking about zombie sportswriters for a second. :lol:

feltdizz
05-18-2010, 06:00 PM

No, he is worse than most.

I remember back in 2007, Peter King said the AFC East would be the best division in football. Then the Dolphins won 1 game, Jets 4 and the Bills 7.

It's one thing to be wrong about individual teams, but to claim one division as the best in the league and then they end up being the worst that season? He's just horrible...

Peter King is the worst guy to ever give a prediction... whatever he says, do the exact opposite and you will make money.

At first i thought he just wanted to get clicks but the guy is like Skip Bayless.. he just says stuff because he has too..

Sugar
05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Peter King is the worst guy to ever give a prediction... whatever he says, do the exact opposite and you will make money.

At first i thought he just wanted to get clicks but the guy is like Skip Bayless.. he just says stuff because he has too..

I still hope we make the playoffs though! :tt2

Discipline of Steel
05-18-2010, 10:03 PM

I still hope we make the playoffs though! :tt2

Here! Here! :Beer :Beer :Beer

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-18-2010, 11:23 PM
This King prediction isn't like the Madden curse, I hope.

We actually do better when people say we suck. I wish he hadn't said that!

Discipline of Steel
05-18-2010, 11:48 PM

I dont know, its not like he picked us to win the SB. We still have room to exceed expectation.

I think King is just trying to make an unexpected pick so he seems like a genius if it works out. and of course he can just bury it if it does not come to pass..

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2010, 10:10 AM

He predicted us to be the worst of all of the playoff teams. Maybe that means we'll get top seed instead!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-19-2010, 10:59 AM

He predicted us to be the worst of all of the playoff teams. Maybe that means we'll get top seed instead!

Ruth, that is the PERFECT spin on this curse!! You should be in politics!

Or, in a band!!! ...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1V7wnZxPqok/ReFh0j9-ZNI/AAAAAAAACGI/qlGJM90LGmM/s400/spin+doctors.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Ruth, that is the PERFECT spin on this curse!! You should be in politics!

Or, in a band!!! ...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1V7wnZxPqok/ReFh0j9-ZNI/AAAAAAAACGI/qlGJM90LGmM/s400/spin+doctors.jpg

Li'l Miss Can't Be Wrong :wink: