PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Eye Sack Redman?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-17-2010, 09:22 AM
The goal line bowling bowl of last preseason?

Anyone think he's still in the Steeler's medium to long term plans? I wonder if his blocking sucked as much as his short yardage/goal line running was great.

It would be great if he fit into the overall scheme of things!!

frankthetank1
05-17-2010, 09:31 AM
The goal line bowling bowl of last preseason?

Anyone think he's still in the Steeler's medium to long term plans? I wonder if his blocking sucked as much as his short yardage/goal line running was great.

It would be great if he fit into the overall scheme of things!!

he might of been in poor shape last season. i remember one preseason game he asked to come out and tomlin left him in. if you are a player like redman you should never ask to come off the field.

Oviedo
05-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Based upon his performance last pre season against players who now work for Wal-Mart a number of fans have started a write in campaign for him to make the Hall of Fame and for the Steelers to retire his number.

As far as his plans with the Steelers long term. IMO, maybe another year on the practice squad and then vanishing into oblivion.

cruzer8
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Nothing more than a pre-season phenom.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2010, 10:10 AM
I believe that they are trying to get Redman some fullback work as well this off-season. The reason that Frank Summers made the team coming out of camp last year and Redman did not (in spite of better performances by Redman in training camp practices and preseason games) was because Summers had the flexibility to play both RB and FB, whereas Redman was more of a one trick pony. When Summers went down with an injury, instead of bringing up Redman, they used D.J. Johnson more at FB, and also brought fan favorite Carey Davis :P back again. We'll see what happens this year.

Oviedo
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
I believe that they are trying to get Redman some fullback work as well this off-season. The reason that Frank Summers made the team coming out of camp last year and Redman did not (in spite of better performances by Redman in training camp practices and preseason games) was because Summers had the flexibility to play both RB and FB, whereas Redman was more of a one trick pony. When Summers went down with an injury, instead of bringing up Redman, they used D.J. Johnson more at FB, and also brought fan favorite Carey Davis :P back again. We'll see what happens this year.

Summers was running 1st team FB at mini-camp. Didn't hear anything about Redman getting reps at FB. Can't remember where it was written last year, but Redman was reported to be both a bad and unwilling blocker which is one reason he didn't make the team. Then there was the "take me out coach" incident.

I can't see anyway Redman makes the roster out of camp.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Summers was running 1st team FB at mini-camp. Didn't hear anything about Redman getting reps at FB. Can't remember where it was written last year, but Redman was reported to be both a bad and unwilling blocker which is one reason he didn't make the team. Then there was the "take me out coach" incident.

I can't see anyway Redman makes the roster out of camp.

I hope Summers improved his blocking, because he wasn't all that good at it last year before he got hurt. At this point, I'm more confident with Johnson or McHugh as a blocking FB than Summers...but we'll see how much they all progressed when training camp rolls around.

aggiebones
05-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Redman was kept because he showed some solid possibilities. He had some deficiencies that I'm sure Tomlin grilled him on. If it took, then he could be a player, if they didn't then he'll be gone. But we would have gotten something out of him versus some of the other bums on the team last year. He had a nose for he endzone and was powerful. Something we clearly needed at times last year. Hmmm, maybe he would have helped us get that 1 more win we needed to get to the playoffs. That may have propelled us deep into the playoffs, like other years that we just crawled into the playoffs.
Then, maybe Ben wouldn't have had the time to loaf around in Georgia. Who knows?

But I think he could have gotten us a couple more TDs in situations that we settled for FGs. Sometimes in a tight season where tiebreakers kick you out, that's all you need.

Know however he's in a battle with the new draft pick. Who shows promise, but also lacks the complete game. I doubt they keep both.

Summers showed nothing in any phase of his game. Unless he really figured something out this offseason, he'll be gone.

Oviedo
05-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Does anyone think Redman would actually be active on game day if he couldn't play FB?

Who is he going to take reps from? Mendenhall? Moore? Dwyer? That is your three of your four game day RBs right there. The fourth is usually someone who can play FB well or can contribute on special teams. That is probably Summers or an extra TE.

For all the fascination with Redman when you break it down looking at who is going to be active on game day he doesn't fit if his skillset is just short yardage. Mendenhall and Dwyer can both do that as well as Redman. They don't activate a RB for 3-4 possible carries in a game.

BradshawsHairdresser
05-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Does it really matter if he can play fullback? After all, BA has emphatically stated (and shown) that he doesn't want a fullback in his offense.

aggiebones
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Actually we don't know what Dwyer can do.
I know everyone is sweating in their panties cause they want a 6th round steal. But there's a reason he was in the 6th round. Don't wash them away so easy. At this point Dwyer is just a random late round rookie. He should not be counted on.

If we keep a FB active every week, he will have to be a top notch one. Not a random back with a big body. If its not a power FB like we've had in the past, we'll just use TEs. If we activate a FB, then we'll have 1 less TE. Summers is pretty useless, UNLESS he improves ALOT.

So you have Parker leaving and someone needing to take his role. Its either Dwyer, Redman or X? Speculation at this point is just that.

Summers will be competing with a 3rd TE. If they feel he can develop into a top FB, they'll go that route. I'd rather cut him and find a known stud FB that someone else lets go. We've certainly cut a few good ones, so they are likely out there.

fezziwig
05-17-2010, 12:29 PM
At least Redman was better than the other Wal-Mart employees. I'd much rather teach a guy to block, a secondary skill than to teach a guy to run, his number one responsibility. Having a guy that can do both well is a bigger plus but, Arians and his Steelers don't draft or sign guys unless they are a project.

These almost runningbacks or fullbacks can be compared to Sweed or Sweed can be compared to them. Sweed a receiver that can't catch. Our so called fullbacks that can't block or muscle their way around.

Frank the tank is a waste of a draft pick and a roster spot and is keeping others from developing. The guys a runt that might show some flashes of this or that but when it's all said and done, he will never be the go to guy or a deciding factor. He will be mentioned only because, he is just a small man in a big mans game.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2010, 12:35 PM
At least Redman was better than the other Wal-Mart employees. I'd much rather teach a guy to block, a secondary skill than to teach a guy to run, his number one responsibility. Having a guy that can do both well is a bigger plus but, Arians and his Steelers don't draft or sign guys unless they are a project.

These almost runningbacks or fullbacks can be compared to Sweed or Sweed can be compared to them. Sweed a receiver that can't catch. Our so called fullbacks that can't block or muscle their way around.

Frank the tank is a waste of a draft pick and a roster spot and is keeping others from developing. The guys a runt that might show some flashes of this or that but when it's all said and done, he will never be the go to guy or a deciding factor. He will be mentioned only because, he is just a small man in a big mans game.

Summers is listed at 5'10" 240 lbs. How is that a runt?

Mendenhall is listed at 5'10" and 225 lbs., and actually said recently that he has lost about 8 pounds from his playing weight last year. Does that make him a half pint?

Notleadpoisoned
05-17-2010, 01:41 PM
At least Redman was better than the other Wal-Mart employees.

Redman was a state champion wrestler in high school so he probably has a brighter future as a cage fighter than he does being a greeter.

SteelAbility
05-17-2010, 04:37 PM

You mean had equal potential to whiff on blocks at both the RB AND FB position? Not everyone has that kind of talent. :P

Chavezz
05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I think an issue that some are forgetting is the comment that Redman made about training camp. I don't remember who interviewed him but someone asked him about training camp and he said something to the effect of it being "Camp Cupcake".

I'm sure that got back to Tomlin and I can't imagine that he took very well to that.

Doogie36
05-18-2010, 12:56 AM
I guess our DEFENSE should be working at WALMART then because it was REDMAN who also performed very well against our STARTING DEFENSE in goal line drills........

Also going into last year we had PROBLEMS with short yardage......This was Prior to the start of the season......The coaching staff gave the ball to Redman in preseason games for what purpose? I mean really think here people before we chalk him up as a walmart employee next year. THe guy did nothing but perform and he did so well that it did cause people like me to CALL FOR HIM to be USED!!!!!! and how did we do with short yardage again?????? Oh that's right.....we sucked AGAIN!!!!!

The thing that people fell in love with was his FIRE!!!!!! Didn you guys see it??? I'm not old enough to TRULY remember Rocky Blier but didnt he have a FIRE to him that made him likeable???? His heart???? We are in 2010...these guys could give a crap less about playing for passion anymore.........I love the steelers because we have players that SEEM to care and play for the sake of winning...........REDMAN played like he wanted to JOB and WANTED TO WIN............If we needed 1...he got 2.......if we needed 2, he got 3............I dont give a crap who the opponent was or what Walmart employees were on the field. THE GUY DID GREAT and DESERVES A CHANCE and this year he will get one. MENDY #1, DWYER #2, MOORE 3rd down back, and REDMAN to move the darn chains or pound it into the endzone from 1 yard out. Who did we use a few years ago in that situation that is no longer playing football????? What was his name???? Man i dont even remember but he was a nobody but he sure could pound the rock for 1-2 yards........seriously what was his name.....just 2 years ago..........

Oviedo
05-18-2010, 07:48 AM
REDMAN played like he wanted to JOB and WANTED TO WIN

You mean like begging the coach to come off the field when he got an extended chance to play. Doesn't sound like the fire was burning too hot.

Reality is Redman is just another preseason legend. 90% chance he doesn't make the final 53. We have two big backs in Mendenhall and Dwyer who will get the tough yards we need and who have significantly more upside than Redman.

Ghost
05-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Redman has a very small chance of making the roster. Vicent either. Obviously Mendy and Moore are locks for the team. Not sure why Dwyer fell but at one point he was listed as a possible third round choice. I think he makes the team.

That leaves a lot of guys battling it out to be the "fullback". You've got Redman and Summers (who are basically the same size - within an inch or two and 10 pounds of each other). Then you've got David Johnson who played it some last year when McHugh went down. Johnson is 6'2"/260. McHugh is back and he's 6'5"/265. He was more of an H-back - blocking, pass protecting, and occassionaly running a route out of the backfield. You also have Demetrius Taylor on the roster as the only fullack. At 6'0" /275 he could certainly fill a gap if he can convert from college DE to FB. Be great to see him running over Lewis. Tomlin said he loved his athleticism. Should be interesting. He could be a good candidate for the PS to get up to speed though.

Oviedo
05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Redman has a very small chance of making the roster. Vicent either. Obviously Mendy and Moore are locks for the team. Not sure why Dwyer fell but at one point he was listed as a possible third round choice. I think he makes the team.

That leaves a lot of guys battling it out to be the "fullback". You've got Redman and Summers (who are basically the same size - within an inch or two and 10 pounds of each other). Then you've got David Johnson who played it some last year when McHugh went down. Johnson is 6'2"/260. McHugh is back and he's 6'5"/265. He was more of an H-back - blocking, pass protecting, and occassionaly running a route out of the backfield. You also have Demetrius Taylor on the roster as the only fullack. At 6'0" /275 he could certainly fill a gap if he can convert from college DE to FB. Be great to see him running over Lewis. Tomlin said he loved his athleticism. Should be interesting. He could be a good candidate for the PS to get up to speed though.

Here, let me fix that for you

Redman has a very, very, very small chance of making the roster

cruzer8
05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
I guess our DEFENSE should be working at WALMART then because it was REDMAN who also performed very well against our STARTING DEFENSE in goal line drills........

He played well against a defense that ran the same play 7 times in a row.

aggiebones
05-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Guys they had 3 true RBs, no FBs and 3 TEs for most of the year.

If they decide to keep a TRUE FB this year, then they will have:
3 True RBs, 1 FB and 2 TEs. They will not go into a game with 2 RBs. The FB will learn enough TE duties to get through a game and the TEs will learn some FB stuff.

So there is POTENTIALLY 2 competitions. Whether we keep a FB or TE3. This would be between Summer, DJohnson and someone like Carey Davis (hopefully better). In my mind Summers stands very little chance of winning this battle. If they TRULY are going to use a FB, they will go get one and all of the above players will evaporate. If not, then they will fall back into keeping a 3rd TE.

The second competition is between Dwyer and Redman. I don't know what Redman has done since last season or in the OTAs and most of you don't either. He may be done or Tomlin may REALLY like what he brings to the table and was just spending a season getting him to learn some of the finer things of being a full RB.
Likewise Dwyer does not come to us as a complete RB. Far from it and he's a rookie to boot. I think what happens is neither one shows more than being a 3rd RB for us and we put the one least likely to be picked up on waivers on the practice squad. Frankly neither will likely be picked up on waivers. RBs aren't big sellers when other teams are having difficulty cutting their own players to 53.

But personally I think its an open competition at this point for that spot. And when I say that I mean they each have a 50/50 chance versus the other guy of making the team.

fezziwig
05-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Summers is listed at 5'10" 240 lbs. How is that a runt?

Mendenhall is listed at 5'10" and 225 lbs., and actually said recently that he has lost about 8 pounds from his playing weight last year. Does that make him a half pint?

I stand corrected. Each time I see him he looks very small to me. Maybe just the view/angle of the camera or the guys he's standing next to. Anyway, as much as I want all our draft picks to make a slam dunk for the team, I don't see Redmen or the Tank being a go to guy. Maybe Arians and Tomlin are not using them correctly ? nah, not Arians.

Oviedo
05-18-2010, 11:39 AM

3 True RBs, 1 FB and 2 TEs. They will not go into a game with 2 RBs. The FB will learn enough TE duties to get through a game and the TEs will learn some FB stuff.

So there is POTENTIALLY 2 competitions. Whether we keep a FB or TE3. This would be between Summer, DJohnson and someone like Carey Davis (hopefully better). In my mind Summers stands very little chance of winning this battle. If they TRULY are going to use a FB, they will go get one and all of the above players will evaporate. If not, then they will fall back into keeping a 3rd TE.

The second competition is between Dwyer and Redman. I don't know what Redman has done since last season or in the OTAs and most of you don't either. He may be done or Tomlin may REALLY like what he brings to the table and was just spending a season getting him to learn some of the finer things of being a full RB.
Likewise Dwyer does not come to us as a complete RB. Far from it and he's a rookie to boot. I think what happens is neither one shows more than being a 3rd RB for us and we put the one least likely to be picked up on waivers on the practice squad. Frankly neither will likely be picked up on waivers. RBs aren't big sellers when other teams are having difficulty cutting their own players to 53.

But personally I think its an open competition at this point for that spot. And when I say that I mean they each have a 50/50 chance versus the other guy of making the team.

If only half of the potential we have heard about with Dwyer is true he has the team made. No way would they risk trying to send him to the practcie squad. They could send Redman to the practice squad and have very little risk of losing him and still having him available if there is an injury issue. Redman was on the PS all of last season. No one was interested and no one tried to claim him. The only ones who seem fascinated by him are a element of the Steelers fan base, not professional talent evaluators from 31 other NFL teams.

ikestops85
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Also going into last year we had PROBLEMS with short yardage......This was Prior to the start of the season......The coaching staff gave the ball to Redman in preseason games for what purpose? I mean really think here people before we chalk him up as a walmart employee next year. THe guy did nothing but perform and he did so well that it did cause people like me to CALL FOR HIM to be USED!!!!!! and how did we do with short yardage again?????? Oh that's right.....we sucked AGAIN!!!!!

The thing that people fell in love with was his FIRE!!!!!! Didn you guys see it??? I'm not old enough to TRULY remember Rocky Blier but didnt he have a FIRE to him that made him likeable???? His heart???? We are in 2010...these guys could give a crap less about playing for passion anymore.........I love the steelers because we have players that SEEM to care and play for the sake of winning...........REDMAN played like he wanted to JOB and WANTED TO WIN............If we needed 1...he got 2.......if we needed 2, he got 3............I dont give a crap who the opponent was or what Walmart employees were on the field. THE GUY DID GREAT and DESERVES A CHANCE and this year he will get one. MENDY #1, DWYER #2, MOORE 3rd down back, and REDMAN to move the darn chains or pound it into the endzone from 1 yard out. Who did we use a few years ago in that situation that is no longer playing football????? What was his name???? Man i dont even remember but he was a nobody but he sure could pound the rock for 1-2 yards........seriously what was his name.....just 2 years ago..........

:Clap

Finally someone who "gets it". Nobody is saying Redman is the next coming of Franco but what we do say is the guy has been successful with everything he has run todate so why write him offf? Why not let him go against the next level and see what he can do? I remember all of you guys annointing Summers last year and he hasn't shown crap. This year Dwyer is the annointed one without as much as a pre-season carry. Hell, even Mendy looked like crap until last year and only showed a penchant for fumbling in the pre-season so why all the hate for Redman? At least he was successful in pre-season against the Wal-Mart employees. That is better than these other guys have shown.

and it wasn't Redman who coined the Camp Cupcake term. That was some writer from CBS Sportsline.

fezziwig
05-18-2010, 02:51 PM
I remember when Gary Russell was supposed to be the bruiser we all wanted. I thought it was better when he had all that weight to tell you the truth.

feltdizz
05-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Tyrone Carter never asked to come out... :roll:

He had heart.

frankthetank1
05-18-2010, 08:05 PM

If only half of the potential we have heard about with Dwyer is true he has the team made. No way would they risk trying to send him to the practcie squad. They could send Redman to the practice squad and have very little risk of losing him and still having him available if there is an injury issue. Redman was on the PS all of last season. No one was interested and no one tried to claim him. The only ones who seem fascinated by him are a element of the Steelers fan base, not professional talent evaluators from 31 other NFL teams.

thats a good point. redman had no interest when he was on our PS. the big difference is dwyer has very similar numbers to ryan matthews who was a pretty high pick. i have never heard of redman before last preseason. dwyer has a much bigger upside than redman.

Oviedo
05-19-2010, 09:02 AM

thats a good point. redman had no interest when he was on our PS. the big difference is dwyer has very similar numbers to ryan matthews who was a pretty high pick. i have never heard of redman before last preseason. dwyer has a much bigger upside than redman.

That is why Redman when all is said and done, will be the likely odd man out after a preseason of Steelers fans falling in love with the underdog and creating an urban legend out of his preseason play.

Unless I hear from OTAs or camp he is lining up as a FB and doing a fantastic job blocking or has become a special teams demon, both unlikely, he isn't making this roster. There are too many better RBs in front of him.

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2010, 10:17 AM

That is why Redman when all is said and done, will be the likely odd man out after a preseason of Steelers fans falling in love with the underdog and creating an urban legend out of his preseason play.

Unless I hear from OTAs or camp he is lining up as a FB and doing a fantastic job blocking or has become a special teams demon, both unlikely, he isn't making this roster. There are too many better RBs in front of him.

I also think that Redman will likely only be on the practice squad this year, but I am not militantly against him as you seem to be, downplaying anything good that he does because it was against "Wal-Mart employees." Sometimes UDFA's that some fans treat as potential "future Hall of Fame" phenoms end up flaming out, as you suggest. But sometimes they turn into a James Harrison, Willie Parker, Nate Washington, or Dan Kreider.

aggiebones
05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
"The only ones who seem fascinated by him are a element of the Steelers fan base, not professional talent evaluators from 31 other NFL teams."

Ahh, the GM and the Coach seemed to want to keep him around. They weren't going to displace Parker for him, but that's not a surprise.

If you read the other part of my comments, I reminded that teams aren't looking for 3rd string RBs at cut time. You can probably easily put Dwyer on PS right before cut date too.

And the half of the great things about Dwyer were said here, lol. Its the same dynamic as those pimping Redman. Internal excitement that we got some steal. Hey, Sweed was a great steal in the second round.
...but there was a reason he dropped (...and not just the ball).
Guys drop for a reason.
I'm not saying Dwyer isn't a potential player for us, I hope he is. But getting our hopes up for a 6th rounder, like all 32 other teams went dumb for a day, is silly.
Maybe he is that once a decade 6th round RB that becomes a star like Terrell Davis..but its not likely.

He has less pro knowledge than Redman right now, but maybe he can win the job, who knows. Unlike last year, we need 1 of these guys to produce, not just linger and learn. So if we can use 1 of them in short yardage situations at some point early this year, that will take some of the load off Mendi and Moore. One of these guys MUST give us some value this year.

But to blow off Redman when they kept him around all year is kinda odd. He may not be able to overcome his shortcomings, but maybe he can and maybe he already did.

Maybe they'll both be cut tomorrow since neither is going to get it done in the NFL.
...that's more likely.

Oviedo
05-19-2010, 01:36 PM

I also think that Redman will likely only be on the practice squad this year, but I am not militantly against him as you seem to be, downplaying anything good that he does because it was against "Wal-Mart employees." Sometimes UDFA's that some fans treat as potential "future Hall of Fame" phenoms end up flaming out, as you suggest. But sometimes they turn into a James Harrison, Willie Parker, Nate Washington, or Dan Kreider.

No one is "militantly" against Redman but I just look at the situation from a rational approach. The Steelers only keep four RBs and at best Redman is competing for the #4 spot with Frank Summers. Unless the #4 RB, or is the FB, can contribute on special treams they are not usually active on game days so that essentially takes away Redman's supposed claim to fame...the great short yardage back.

Every year people fall in love with these pre-season heros. Don't know if rooting for the underdog allows fans to relate to themseleves with too little talent to really make it or what but if you watched Redman and read everything that has been written about him he has more negatives in his game than he does positives. He is poor receiving, he is poor blocking, he doesn't have a role on special teams and obviously for the opportunity of a lifetime he came out of shape. Frank Summers had a mediocre camp last year and he beat Redman out because Summers at least showed the potential to play both RB and FB.

If Redman can show he is the next Rocky Blier then I'll be all for him but he is more than likely a scout team tackling dummy again this season on the practice squad.

Shawn
05-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Oviedo stated...No one is "militantly" against Redman but I just look at the situation from a rational approach.

As opposed to those of us who evaluate with much less cognitive ability. The pain of intellectual superiority must be unspeakable. Stay strong O...stay strong. :mrgreen:

:stirpot

Oviedo
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Oviedo stated...No one is "militantly" against Redman but I just look at the situation from a rational approach.

As opposed to those of us who evaluate with much less cognitive ability. The pain of intellectual superiority must be unspeakable. Stay strong O...stay strong. :mrgreen:

rational thought versus man love. I'll take rational thought. :wink:

aggiebones
05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Why is he competing with Summers?
I don't see that at all. Summers is competing with if they keep a FB at all.

Redman is competing against Dwyer. Why would you anoint Dwyer as automatic. Because you got your panties all wet about positive word about him as a steal from the 6th round. Yea, he's a steal if he can make the team. But we need more than that out of the 3rd RB. He came from a spread and analyst worry about his blocking and lining up in a deep set. No pads yet, so we'll see. There's certainly potential with him, but I can't imagine he makes a big transition this year to being very valuable. But I'll be jumping up and down if he does.

Someone mentioned his stats in college are better than someone drafted higher. Stats in college are a joke all dependent on who you play and behind who you are running and what type of offense. NFL GMs and scouts didn't miss anything here. They didn't really want Dwyer. Period. Let's hope they are wrong which obviously happens in the draft. Willie Parker was a great back for his draft position...none. But most backs are useless in the NFL. Let's not anoint a 6th rounder anything until the pads are on. Frankly, until he actually gets in a real NFL game. We all know what Redman did in preseason and in practice and that amounted to a hill of beans for him last year..though he did manage a paycheck all year from the world champion Steelers.

Shawn
05-19-2010, 03:44 PM

rational thought versus man love. I'll take rational thought. :wink:

Too easy...where is QB when we need him? :lol:

Oviedo
05-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Redman is competing against Dwyer. Why would you anoint Dwyer as automatic. Because you got your panties all wet about positive word about him as a steal from the 6th round. Yea, he's a steal if he can make the team. But we need more than that out of the 3rd RB. He came from a spread and analyst worry about his blocking and lining up in a deep set. No pads yet, so we'll see. There's certainly potential with him, but I can't imagine he makes a big transition this year to being very valuable. But I'll be jumping up and down if he does.

Someone mentioned his stats in college are better than someone drafted higher. Stats in college are a joke all dependent on who you play and behind who you are running and what type of offense. NFL GMs and scouts didn't miss anything here. They didn't really want Dwyer. Period. Let's hope they are wrong which obviously happens in the draft. Willie Parker was a great back for his draft position...none. But most backs are useless in the NFL. Let's not anoint a 6th rounder anything until the pads are on. Frankly, until he actually gets in a real NFL game. We all know what Redman did in preseason and in practice and that amounted to a hill of beans for him last year..though he did manage a paycheck all year from the world champion Steelers.

Read the OTA reports. Lots about how much Dwyer is doing and how good he looks. Nothing about Redman. If it is between Dwyer and redman then Dwyer is going to make this team.

feltdizz
05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
2 years ago we struggled in short yardage but last year Mendenhall was pretty good when we called his number. This makes Redman the odd man out. I'm not sure about Mewelde either, I know we lost FWP but Moore did little for us last year since Mend took over 3rd downs.

I really don't understand the Redman boo birds.... Sweed is a certified bust and he is treated like a HOFer every preseason. Nothing wrong with cheering for a guy like Redamm to make the team IMO.

feltdizz
05-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Ovie I'm not surprised the new guy is getting some media love. I hope he is a steal, he was decent at GT

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
2 years ago we struggled in short yardage but last year Mendenhall was pretty good when we called his number. This makes Redman the odd man out. I'm not sure about Mewelde either, I know we lost FWP but Moore did little for us last year since Mend took over 3rd downs.

I really don't understand the Redman boo birds.... Sweed is a certified bust and he is treated like a HOFer every preseason. Nothing wrong with cheering for a guy like Redamm to make the team IMO.

I'm personally cheering for any player that makes the Steelers a better team...whether that means Isaac "Redzone" Redman or Jonathan Dwyer. May the better RB win! :tt2

Steel Life
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
The thing that I want to see is guys like Dwyer & Redman getting a chance to run behind the 1st string O-Line to see what they can really do. I have to admit I always wanted to see what John Kuhn could've done behind our line...but Cowher didn't have any faith in him. I was glad to see him find a home with Green Bay & do well.

As for the Redman vs. Dwyer vs. Summers debate...it doesn't matter as long as they pick the best two to stick on the squad. I think both Summers & Redman need to step it up this year from a conditioning standpoint or they'll both be gone.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
The thing that I want to see is guys like Dwyer & Redman getting a chance to run behind the 1st string O-Line to see what they can really do. I have to admit I always wanted to see what John Kuhn could've done behind our line...but Cowher didn't have any faith in him. I was glad to see him find a home with Green Bay & do well.

As for the Redman vs. Dwyer vs. Summers debate...it doesn't matter as long as they pick the best two to stick on the squad. I think both Summers & Redman need to step it up this year from a conditioning standpoint or they'll both be gone.

I completely agree, hopefully all 3 RBs will get plenty of playing time this pre-season.

I also read somewhere that Summers, Redman and Dwyer were all in terrific shape at the OTAs so that shouldn't be an issue this year.

SS Laser
05-20-2010, 11:09 AM
For all the readman lovers!

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsbur ... iner-email (http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m5d20-Steelers-daily-digest-A-look-at-OTAs-and-Byron-Leftwich?cid=examiner-email)

In other OTA news, the Steelers worked out the special teams unit extensively on Wednesday, and surprisingly Rashard Mendenhall was one of those returning kicks.

Ziggy Hood continued to see a lot of action with the first team and Justin Hartwig did not practice. It also appears that Isaac Redman is the third running back behind Mendenhall and Moore for now.

WHOOO HOOO! OTA 3rd BACK!!!! :stirpot

aggiebones
05-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Read the OTA reports. Lots about how much Dwyer is doing and how good he looks. Nothing about Redman. If it is between Dwyer and redman then Dwyer is going to make this team.

OK, here ya go:

"I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem," Arians said. "They got addressed (in 2008) with Gary Russell. Now is it going to be Rashard? It could be Isaac Redman, it could be by a bunch of guys. Is it a back or is it by committee? This time of year you get your running game going, but in training camp you find out that short-yardage stuff. You win the job that way."

Stuff about Redman and nothing about Dwyer, which is the way it should be since Redman has a year. But we'll see if Dwyer can pass him. Should be a good battle.

Hawaiian hit the nail. I don't give a rat's butt who it is, but one of them needs to VERY ready for opening game since we are using a backup QB. We can't be having rookie jitters in games 1-4. We'll see.

Slapstick
05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Dwyer didn't come from a spread offense...

He came from an option offense...

Incidentally, Mendenhall came from a spread offense...he seems to be doing well...

aggiebones
05-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Me?

Did I type that?
Either way, its a hard transition for many backs to go to work in a set like the Steelers SHOULD employ this season. Dwyer not being ready for opening day would not be a surprise whether he is a steal of a bust.

And is to my point that Redman despite what some have been saying actually may have a leg up certainly early in camp. Whether Dwyer is good enough or has enough time to pass Redman remains to be seen.

hawaiiansteel
05-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Me?

Did I type that?
Either way, its a hard transition for many backs to go to work in a set like the Steelers SHOULD employ this season. Dwyer not being ready for opening day would not be a surprise whether he is a steal of a bust.

And is to my point that Redman despite what some have been saying actually may have a leg up certainly early in camp. Whether Dwyer is good enough or has enough time to pass Redman remains to be seen.

I'm predicting big things for "Redzone" Redman this pre-season (see Nostradamus Award Predictions thread), I'm looking forward to a very spirited battle between he and Dwyer for the #3 RB spot.