PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

hawaiiansteel
05-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Bruce Arians faces a major challenge

Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2010

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/05-May/2010_rookie_camp/2010_Bruce_Arians_Charlie_Batch_123--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

The Steelers will be encountering a major mess this season, with a starting quarterback who'll be banished from the facility after training camp and the preseason and a collection of backups who'll vie for the short-term starting job.

The problem? There may not be enough first-team reps to go around to get Roethlisberger ready for his return and the replacements ready to replace him.

It'll all happen on the watch of an offensive coordinator who faced widespread criticism in 2009 for passing the ball too much. Bruce Arians now knows he needs to re-commit to the run, given the muddled quarterback situation and a passing game depleted by the trade of Santonio Holmes.

But the Steelers' opponents realize this, too, and they'll likely load up against the run, forcing Arians to do that which he's wired to do anyway.

It's a recipe for potential disaster, if Arians refuses to commit to the run and rely on the defense. With coach Mike Tomlin's background coming on the defensive side of the ball, it's not as if Tomlin can take over calling the plays.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... challenge/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/15/bruce-arians-faces-a-major-challenge/)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-16-2010, 04:28 PM

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/05-May/2010_rookie_camp/2010_Bruce_Arians_Charlie_Batch_123--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

The Steelers will be encountering a major mess this season, with a starting quarterback who'll be banished from the facility after training camp and the preseason and a collection of backups who'll vie for the short-term starting job.

The problem? There may not be enough first-team reps to go around to get Roethlisberger ready for his return and the replacements ready to replace him.

It'll all happen on the watch of an offensive coordinator who faced widespread criticism in 2009 for passing the ball too much. Bruce Arians now knows he needs to re-commit to the run, given the muddled quarterback situation and a passing game depleted by the trade of Santonio Holmes.

But the Steelers' opponents realize this, too, and they'll likely load up against the run, forcing Arians to do that which he's wired to do anyway.

It's a recipe for potential disaster, if Arians refuses to commit to the run and rely on the defense. With coach Mike Tomlin's background coming on the defensive side of the ball, it's not as if Tomlin can take over calling the plays.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... challenge/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/15/bruce-arians-faces-a-major-challenge/)

Help me out here guys. I've never really paid attention to this guy until the Milledgville fiasco. But over the course of the past few months, all I've read from him about the Steelers is just vile negativity.

Why is this? Did a Steeler truck run over his grandmother? I know the easy answer is that this sells "headlines" more than writing less aggressive stuff. But he is so MUCH MORE negative than anyone else I've read, there has to be something else going on. Do I remember he's actually from the Pgh. sports beat?

What is his problem?

BURGH86STEEL
05-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Help me out here guys. I've never really paid attention to this guy until the Milledgville fiasco. But over the course of the past few months, all I've read from him about the Steelers is just vile negativity.

Why is this? Did a Steeler truck run over his grandmother? I know the easy answer is that this sells "headlines" more than writing less aggressive stuff. But he is so MUCH MORE negative than anyone else I've read, there has to be something else going on. Do I remember he's actually from the Pgh. sports beat?

What is his problem?

I've never read much of Florio. I get the impression from others that he does not like the Steelers. I think the offense will be fine. I am more concerned about special teams.

hawaiiansteel
05-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Why Bruce Arians Is the Pittsburgh Steelers' True Achilles' Heel

by David Law, Correspondent

RESULTS - AUTHOR POLL

If it was up to you, you would:

Fire Arians now.
22.0%

Wait and see how this season turns out.
24.7%

Have fired Arians long ago.
53.3%

TOTAL VOTES: 713

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/947/288/76027591.jpg.9931_cropped.jpg?1272858742

The Steelers’ defense should return to form with the return of cornerback Bryant McFadden and the healthy status of Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith. If the defense can play close to the level of their 2008 season, then opposing offenses have something to worry about.

The Steelers’ offense is another matter.

Roethlisberger will miss at least the first four games, and possibly more. Star receiver Santonio Holmes was traded to the Jets after running afoul of the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

But neither of those two developments represent as much of a handicap to the team’s offense as does the continued presence of Bruce Arians in the role of offensive coordinator.

Arians has orchestrated an offensive metamorphosis that has seen the Steelers evolve from a team that runs effectively to set up the pass into a team that thinks pass first and run second.

In so doing, Arians has changed the team’s identity.

Arians refuses to utilize a fullback in his offense, instead occasionally slipping in a backup tight end such as Sean McHugh or David Johnson. Any confusion about Arians’ feelings regarding fullbacks were clarified in this quote from him prior to last season: “I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.”

So the Steelers slowly graduated into a team that passes first and runs second. But in that process the Steelers seem to have lost the ability to turn to a power running game when needed.

Short-yardage conversions have become nail-biting time for Steeler fans who were accustomed to seeing Jerome Bettis power over the middle behind a crushing block by fullback Dan Kreider. Bettis and Kreider are gone now, and with them went some of the Steelers’ swagger.

The Steelers have a competent running back in Rashard Mendenhall, but he is rarely given a sufficient number of carries to get into a complete rhythm. Too often he seems to have to deal with an opposing linebacker before he even reaches the line of scrimmage. Those spin moves that sometimes frustrate fans are too often out of necessity as he ad libs a move to beat a defender before he can even hit the hole.

So if Arians has moved Pittsburgh in the direction of a passing-oriented offense, he must have lots of trick plays in his repertoire, right? Unfortunately, no.

In fact, predictability has become a hallmark of this team.

Rarely do we see the option passes or gadget plays that former coach Bill Cowher so enjoyed unleashing on unsuspecting defenses. Not only that, but Arians seems adverse to incorporating misdirection plays or screen passes, both of which work against defenses salivating at the prospect of sacking Roethlisberger yet again.

When Roethlisberger was unable to start against the Baltimore Ravens last year in Week 12, backup Dennis Dixon was forced to take the start with very little practice time. Dixon is a remarkable athlete: a quick-footed, elusive runner with that ability to break containment and keep a defense guessing.

Unfortunately, Arians seemed committed to keeping Dixon in the pocket instead of employing roll-outs, and Arians had no answer for the defensive adjustments Baltimore made at halftime.

The loss in Baltimore seemed to sum up one of Arians' defining characteristics: his insistence on making players fit his system instead of adjusting his system to fit his players.

So an offensive line that’s better at run-blocking is forced to pass-block. A fragile quarterback who gets sacked more than 50 times a season? Keep dropping him back with little protection and hope for the best.

Does your offense feature a running back in Willie Parker whose strength is turning the corner or going off-tackle? Run him up the gut on first down and hope for the best. Got a QB like Dixon who needs to get outside the box to be most effective? Keep him inside the pocket and hope for the best.

Does anyone see a pattern here?

Arians’ stubbornness is putting the success of the franchise at risk. Yes, the Steelers have won the Super Bowl with Arians as OC, but they won despite Arians, not because of him.

They won thanks to a strong defense and a once-in-a-generation quarterback who frequently made things happen on broken plays. Roethlisberger always seems most effective running a hurry-up offense, where he calls the plays at the line of scrimmage instead of having them called in by Arians.

If the Steelers are my reality show, the first one that I am voting off the island is Bruce Arians.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3872 ... illes-heel (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/387291-sorry-limas-but-arians-is-the-steelers-true-achilles-heel)

calmkiller
05-16-2010, 07:41 PM

What is his problem?

Florio is a WV Native much like myself. As such you either Love the Steelers or Hate them with all your guts, much like Pitt. Eat Sh!t Pitt. That being said, he is/was an avid Vikings fan growing up. Our Steelers beat the Vikings in a Super Bowl if you remember. Adding to his hatred.

Shawn
05-16-2010, 08:35 PM
So an offensive line that’s better at run-blocking is forced to pass-block. A fragile quarterback who gets sacked more than 50 times a season? Keep dropping him back with little protection and hope for the best.

Didn't he just say that Mendenhall has to spin move away from linebackers in his grill behind the line of scrimmage? I mean at least have some consistancy in the same article.

feltdizz
05-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Re-commit to the run? I don't think so... Bettis was a once in a lifetime RB and our OL was stellar. Mend had 1200 yards behind an average OL and with Pouncey and the new OL coach I see our run game improving immensely.

People act like Arians was working with Bettis and pro bowlers on the OL.

frankthetank1
05-16-2010, 09:47 PM

What is his problem?

Florio is a WV Native much like myself. As such you either Love the Steelers or Hate them with all your guts, much like Pitt. Eat Sh!t Pitt. That being said, he is/was an avid Vikings fan growing up. Our Steelers beat the Vikings in a Super Bowl if you remember. Adding to his hatred.

there are a lot of people in WV that hate the steelers? i never knew that, but i have never been to WV so i have no idea about the area. i know very well of the backyard brawl which imo is the best rivalry in college football. i always thought most people in WV loved the steelers though. what other nfl teams do people like there the skins?

buckeyehoppy
05-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Arians refuses to utilize a fullback in his offense, instead occasionally slipping in a backup tight end such as Sean McHugh or David Johnson. Any confusion about Arians’ feelings regarding fullbacks were clarified in this quote from him prior to last season: “I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.”

Short-yardage conversions have become nail-biting time for Steeler fans who were accustomed to seeing Jerome Bettis power over the middle behind a crushing block by fullback Dan Kreider. Bettis and Kreider are gone now, and with them went some of the Steelers’ swagger.

Can anybody imagine Jerome Bettis working in BA's offense? Guy would've probably been lucky to gain a grand every year. Dan Kreider would've been a camp cut.

So if Arians has moved Pittsburgh in the direction of a passing-oriented offense, he must have lots of trick plays in his repertoire, right? Unfortunately, no.

In fact, predictability has become a hallmark of this team.

Rarely do we see the option passes or gadget plays that former coach Bill Cowher so enjoyed unleashing on unsuspecting defenses. Not only that, but Arians seems adverse to incorporating misdirection plays or screen passes, both of which work against defenses salivating at the prospect of sacking Roethlisberger yet again.

This is why we lost easily winnable games against Chicago and Kansas City, among others.

The loss in Baltimore seemed to sum up one of Arians' defining characteristics: his insistence on making players fit his system instead of adjusting his system to fit his players.

Look, few OCs have the luxury of having a complete set of players to fit their system. OTOH, you can't just have a stable of studs with their own agendas either. This is why BA will always be inadequate at running an offense.

Arians’ stubbornness is putting the success of the franchise at risk. Yes, the Steelers have won the Super Bowl with Arians as OC, but they won despite Arians, not because of him.

You don't say. Really? I think most Steelers fans have been saying this since before SBXLIII.

If it was up to you, you would:

Fire Arians now.
22.0%

Wait and see how this season turns out.
24.7%

Have fired Arians long ago.
53.3%

TOTAL VOTES: 713

Why doesn't this surprise me? Of course, firing BA now doesn't not make sense if it hasn't already happened.

feltdizz
05-17-2010, 07:05 PM
If Arians had Bettis? that's funny..... How many SB's did Bettis get us before Ben arrived?

A lot of fans hated taking the ball out of Ben's hands in the second half and wanted to go pass happy with Cowher.

Fans always want what they don't have. Before we wanted to air it out.. now they want smashmouth...

I'm glad we have no control over the football team because every year it would be polar opposites of the year before. Our FO realizes every year will not be a SB year and they don't jump the gun. Thank goodness.

TallyStiller
05-17-2010, 08:15 PM
If Arians had Bettis? that's funny..... How many SB's did Bettis get us before Ben arrived?

A lot of fans hated taking the ball out of Ben's hands in the second half and wanted to go pass happy with Cowher.

Fans always want what they don't have. Before we wanted to air it out.. now they want smashmouth...

I'm glad we have no control over the football team because every year it would be polar opposites of the year before. Our FO realizes every year will not be a SB year and they don't jump the gun. Thank goodness.
:Agree

BURGH86STEEL
05-17-2010, 08:33 PM

I agree.

Parker and Mendenhall did not do to poorly rushing the ball in the offense. They did not have the Olines or blocking TE that Bettis ran behind. People use the lack of a FB to trash BA. Many offenses have success without a true FB. It is really a question of philosophy.

I don't believe there are any easily winnable games in the NFL. Teams are so closely matched talent wise that many games come down to 7 points or less. I think the Steelers were in 11 such games. People also screamed predictability under Cowher. The bottom line is execution. At the end of the day, they won and loss those games as a team.

The powers that be felt that they did some good things on offense. They can get better if they can improve in a few areas. The offense is not as inept as some claim.

Teams don't win SB's despite anyone. Change one element from a SB winner and the team might not had won.

Captain Lemming
05-17-2010, 11:31 PM

That sound good but it is not correct.
Some fans like smashmouth and others like airing it out.
"Some" fans are always complaining because half are not happy, no matter the style.

Given my preference, I like explosive first halves to get a lead, then "the turtle" to keep the lead. Bens early years with Bettis were perfect.

We passed more than people realized in the first half of games, especially against good teams. Bens totals were modest, because we went to the run game in the second half.

feltdizz
05-18-2010, 07:34 AM
We had a much better OL with Bettis... and Bettis is a once in a lifetime RB. Heath Miller s great but his run blocking is not that good. Our Center has been suspect and we have moved guys around on the OL the last 3 years.

With Pouncey and a new OL coach I think we will see major improvements in the run game. I can't fault BA for our OL woes... that is a management issue. We went skill positions instead of OL and won a second SB. I'm ok with that.

Oviedo
05-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Re-commit to the run? I don't think so... Bettis was a once in a lifetime RB and our OL was stellar. Mend had 1200 yards behind an average OL and with Pouncey and the new OL coach I see our run game improving immensely.

People act like Arians was working with Bettis and pro bowlers on the OL.

Arians is far from perfect but he was at least smart enough to realize what many fans don't. Bettis was in fact a once in a lifetime RB and probably the most unique "big" RB ever to play the game. Once Bettis left something needed to change because you no longer had a 270lb RB with his combination of quickness and power to hand the ball to.

Bettis made Krieder and the OL look much better than they probably were.

Arians will help himself immensely if he remembers that TEs and RBs can be receivers too. More importantly he will more than earn his money if he can convince Ben it is OK for a TE or RB to be your primary target and not just a emergency outlet to dump the ball to at the end of your progressions.

Miller is one of the top 3 TEs in the NFL and Spaeth has never been fully utilized for his pass catching skills since the first three games of his rookie year when he caught three TDs. Using both of them will be critical this season with an unsettled and developing situation at WR.

fezziwig
05-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Finding his way home every night is a challenge to Arians.

pfelix73
05-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I think its funny that people immediately think that we're gonna run the ball better than last year because we added Pouncey and a new OL coach.

Here's the problem- Arians and his formations. The formation really dictates alot of the success to each play. He's a coach who likes the pass. His philosophy is to pass first then run, that's why he likes the 2 TE sets with only 1 running back. He likes the flexibility at the TE position- frankly, I do too to some extent, however, the philosophy has to change first before the running game will improve. We'll see just how much Tomlin inputs into the offense this year- I for one would like to see an actual FB be used instead of a TE.

:tt1

fezziwig
05-18-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't mind that we are a passing team but if we find ourselves in the situation that running is needed for clock control, ball control, short yardages or endzone drives Arians, better have his team tuned into it.

Get a fullback and have the line do some pushing of the defense off the line of scrimmage.

feltdizz
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I think its funny that people immediately think that we're gonna run the ball better than last year because we added Pouncey and a new OL coach.

Here's the problem- Arians and his formations. The formation really dictates alot of the success to each play. He's a coach who likes the pass. His philosophy is to pass first then run, that's why he likes the 2 TE sets with only 1 running back. He likes the flexibility at the TE position- frankly, I do too to some extent, however, the philosophy has to change first before the running game will improve. We'll see just how much Tomlin inputs into the offense this year- I for one would like to see an actual FB be used instead of a TE.

What's funny is Mend getting 1200 yards in 12 games and BA taking the blame for the worst 4th quarter D in Steeler history. Maybe our running game wasn't as bad as some want to admit??? Sure BA refused to run at times but looking around the league it's obvious plenty of OC's are running empty sets and passing on 3rd and 1.

I like the flexibility of our offense but I think the middle of our OL is the reason our run game looked bad at times. No push at all. I can't see how our running game won't improve with Pouncey and a new OL if Lefty has decent games.

While BA may need to call a few more screens and TE passes Ben has to commit to these guys earlier and let them run... too many times he dumps off in desperation. He was much better last year IMO.

fezziwig
05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
For sure we are weak in the center of our o-line. it's no surprise we were the number one running teams when we had Webster, Dawson and Hartings.

I believe a stud center makes everyone better. That goes for guards, tackles, rbs, fbs and qbs.

I hope Pouncey is groomed to be a center if he is capable. My question is this, " What do we lack the most or need the most, a replacement at guard or a replacement at center ? "

Let Pouncey have his chance at center. Ben isn't there to get killed by his lack of experience and he get killed most of the time anyway. With all the hype I've heard about Pouncey, he should at least be better than Mayhen right now and that skill quality of being better than Mayhen is probably equal with Hartwig.

Let the dude learn now so he can get it under his belt and start making the probowl in about two or three years.

feltdizz
05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
For sure we are weak in the center of our o-line. it's no surprise we were the number one running teams when we had Webster, Dawson and Hartings.

I believe a stud center makes everyone better. That goes for guards, tackles, rbs, fbs and qbs.

I hope Pouncey is groomed to be a center if he is capable. My question is this, " What do we lack the most or need the most, a replacement at guard or a replacement at center ? "

Let Pouncey have his chance at center. Ben isn't there to get killed by his lack of experience and he get killed most of the time anyway. With all the hype I've heard about Pouncey, he should at least be better than Mayhen right now and that skill quality of being better than Mayhen is probably equal with Hartwig.

Let the dude learn now so he can get it under his belt and start making the probowl in about two or three years.

:Agree

Flasteel
05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
[Sure BA refused to run at times but looking around the league it's obvious plenty of OC's are running empty sets and passing on 3rd and 1.

What?

Who?

That is taking a high percentage play and turning it into...well...a much lower one. If any other coach did this, I can promise you it was situational and not something they do with any regularity. It's one thing to throw on third and one. A quick hitter, especially off a play-fake, can be a great call from time to time.

Throwing it out of an empty set however, is simply stupid. With no threat of a run, DE's can pin their ears back, there's no one to chip or protect Ben, and linebackers are free to cheat where they need to in coverage. The only benefit is that you get 5 guys in pattern and you're probably catching them in a different package defensively - getting a "mismatch".

We'd be much better served by being able to punch teams in the mouth on 3rd and short and taking advantage of that through the occasional play-fake. High percentage stuff.

Arians does this all too frequently and he does it in critical situations around the goal line as well. Please show me some type of evidence that any other OC in the NFL does this with any amount of regularity. I'm not condemning your recall ability as much as I'm having a hard time believing that anyone else would do this and still have a job.

feltdizz
05-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I agree in principle Flasteel but I watched the Saints, Cowboys, Iggles, Colts and Pats all run empty on 3rd and 1 numerous times. Since we have no emotion in their games we don't hold them accountable or file it away for post game bashing when they don't make it.

Every year Jason Garrett is a genius until the Cowboys lose then a bunch of Cowboy fans talk about his lack of imagination and how he sucks azzz.

pfelix73
05-19-2010, 03:57 PM
On the flip side of that, I remember watching some Giants games where the FB blocks who he's supposed to on a 3rd and 1 and the RB follows the FB and picks up the 1st down.

With ARE back in the mix, we'll probably see some new plays with him in there in 3rd and shorts and 3rd and goals. I'd still like to see a real FB on the final 53 man roster.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd still like to see a real FB on the final 53 man roster.

Repeat over and over again until you understand Bruce's feelings about having a FB...

“I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one.”

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2010, 03:06 AM
The more Mike Tomlin insists his three "other" quarterbacks will get opportunities to compete for Ben Roethlisberger's job, the more snaps Byron Leftwich takes with the first team. The Steelers knocked out three more OTA practices this week and Leftwich ran with the ones in all three after doing so in five minicamp practices early this month. They are down to nine OTAs remaining for either Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch to get their "opportunity" because Tomlin has said he will know his No. 1 quarterback entering training camp, or at least that's what he said last week. "I won't necessarily know who the starter is, per se, by the end of the OTAs," Tomlin said this week. "I did make a comment last week in regards to how I'm approaching it. I really don't believe it's an effective approach to go in with a pure open quarterback competition, if you will, a three-headed quarterback battle. There simply aren't enough snaps to go around. "We'll go in with a pecking order, if you will, and the opportunities to show what you're capable of will be based on that pecking order. All guys will be given an opportunity, not an equal opportunity, that's the nature of this game, the nature of this business. I will make those judgments based on intuition and knowledge I have of the men at an appropriate time and we'll proceed."

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians says it's a process that starts with the system and goes from there. "This time of year you find out what they can do," Arians said of the quarterbacks. "You keep stretching the envelope and say, 'OK, this is the offense, everybody's doing it,' and then you just make mental notes as you go along: 'He really struggles with that throw or he really struggles with that footwork, or this type of read or letting him change protections.' So If and when the time comes to call on one you can tailor your game plan to fit him." The different styles of the quarterbacks does not matter, Arians said. "You have an offense that you hope is broad enough that can fit each guy's style, what he does best, and you don't ask guys to do things they can't do. That's the key to all offenses is you take your personnel, you find out what we can do and it's broad enough if an injury occurs here or there."

http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Lack of Running Game Can Be Blamed on Arians

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/957/509/76027591_cropped.jpg?1274474563

It is something Steelers fans have been clamoring for ever since Jerome Bettis retired. The Steelers need to get back to a power running attack.

As time passed from Bettis’ retirement and Ben Roethlisberger developed as a quarterback, the Steelers changed from a tough, physical offense to a finesse, spread it out offense.

With the change, the Steelers also lost the ability to run the ball on a consistent basis and it reached its breaking point last season with the fans and the team President, Art Rooney II.

“I think Mike (Tomlin) and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to.”

The Steelers want to get back to the playoffs and back to the Super Bowl. In order to achieve that, Rooney believes that the Steelers need to get back to their old ways.

“So that’s part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football.”

Pittsburgh struggled last season to run the ball, particularly in short yardage situations. This problem became most apparent on a Thursday night game in December at Cleveland.

Rather than trying to pick up a first down on a third and short by inserting a fullback and powering the ball forward, Pittsburgh ran a shotgun play with five wide outs.

They failed to convert.

The Steelers also failed to score a touchdown and dropped their fifth straight game, all but eliminating them from playoff contention.

It is situations such as these that Rooney hopes the Steelers can improve upon in 2010.

“We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football.”

How will the Steelers achieve this? Well, the first step was to send the message to the source of the problem, Bruce Arians.

According to Rooney, “Mike has talked to Bruce about that.”

The Steelers do not have to go back to three yards and a cloud of dust style, in which they run the ball 60 percent of the time. They will be expected, however, to improve upon the 42.2 percent that they ran the ball last season.

In a recent interview, Arians acknowledged the team’s short yardage issue.

”I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem. They got addressed (in 2008) with Gary Russell. Now is it going to be Rashard? It could be Isaac Redman, it could be by a bunch of guys. Is it a back or is it by committee? This time of year you get your running game going, but in training camp you find out that short-yardage stuff. You win the job that way.”

This past season, Redman looked to be the short yardage back, but did not suit up for the Steelers and instead spent much of the season on the practice squad.

What message does this send to the team —that their best short yardage back not only will not play in the game, but will not make the final roster? This is exactly why the Steelers could not convert in short yardage situations. The offensive coordinator did not put a stress on it and would rather throw for the first down than run for it.

Part of the reason that Arians feels that they can pass so much is he believes that is an extension of the running game.

“We take some short screen stuff and treat that as the running game.”

That is not quite how it works.

The offensive line does not move forward when they are pass blocking. They cannot impose their will on the defensive line and linebackers, to wear them down, which can be crucial —another problem area for the Steelers, as recognized by Arians.

“At the end of the game, in the four-minute (offense) to run out the clock and not punt the ball, short yards, we have to be more efficient.”

If the team was more effective at running the ball in the fourth quarter, the defense may not have blown so many leads and the Steelers could have been in the playoffs. However, this was not the case.

Pittsburgh did not put an emphasis on establishing the run last season in camp and as a result, could not impose their will on any team last season.

So with the problems recognized, what will be done about them?

Arians has an 1,100 yard running back with the ability to run inside or outside who is just on the brink of breaking out in Rashard Mendenhall.

Behind Mendenhall, there is the dependable Mewelde Moore, and then young running backs in Redman and rookie Jonathan Dwyer.

This stable of backs is more than enough to find success on the ground, but they could use some help from a fullback.

Prior to the start of last season, Arians noted this area of need.

“There’s not a fullback on the roster. There’s a running back that plays fullback, a tight end who plays fullback. I don’t have a fullback. There’s no fullback in my offense, there’s never going to be one.”

Never? Maybe not never.

Pittsburgh currently has one fullback on their roster, though his only experience at the position goes back to high school.

Demetrius Taylor is a 6'0" 273 lbs former defensive tackle who is trying out at fullback for the Steelers.

Taylor has potential to be a lead blocker for the offense and while it is unlikely he would see a significant amount of action, it would be expected that the Steelers use a fullback more this season than this past season.

Taylor will have to show enough blocking ability to beat out Sean McHugh and David Johnson, tight ends who also have the ability to play fullback. This would be a welcome addition for the Steelers running backs, particularly when trying to pick up short yardage.

Pittsburgh will also be entering the season with an improved offensive line.

First-round draft choice, Maurkice Pouncey, is likely to start from week one at right guard. The line should be able to generate more push and open up more holes this season.

However, do not expect the team to line up week one and pound the ball.

Opponents will be prepared for two reasons. First, they know the Steelers want to run the ball more this season and second, Pittsburgh is without Roethlisberger for at least the first four weeks of the season.

Without the playmaker at quarterback, teams can concentrate on stopping the run.

Expect the Steelers to work harder in camp this season to run the ball. But, be wary —Arians felt similarly confident entering last season that the Steelers would have a successful ground game.

“When we came out of training camp last year, we were running the ball as well as we have since Super Bowl XL. We’re having success in training camp, running the ball pretty good.”

Obviously it was not because the team was not effective at all. Then again, Arians did not try to establish the run at any point last season either.

This may be in part because he has trouble planning for certain defenses.

“Now the problem occurs when you see a different style, when you see penetrating 4-3 (defensive linemen). It’s a totally different technique for the offensive line and tight ends.”

Arians better prepare his team for 4-3 defenses, because he will see a lot of them this season. It is not a good excuse for the lack of a running game.

The message has been sent from the top, the personnel is in place, and the plan of action is set. It is up to Arians to see that Pittsburgh meets their goal this season. If not, the blame can be placed on his shoulders.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3951 ... -on-arians (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/395156-steelers-lack-of-running-game-can-be-blamed-on-arians)

Flasteel
05-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Lack of Running Game Can Be Blamed on Arians

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/957/509/76027591_cropped.jpg?1274474563

It is something Steelers fans have been clamoring for ever since Jerome Bettis retired. The Steelers need to get back to a power running attack.

As time passed from Bettis’ retirement and Ben Roethlisberger developed as a quarterback, the Steelers changed from a tough, physical offense to a finesse, spread it out offense.

With the change, the Steelers also lost the ability to run the ball on a consistent basis and it reached its breaking point last season with the fans and the team President, Art Rooney II.

“I think Mike (Tomlin) and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to.”

The Steelers want to get back to the playoffs and back to the Super Bowl. In order to achieve that, Rooney believes that the Steelers need to get back to their old ways.

“So that’s part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football.”

Pittsburgh struggled last season to run the ball, particularly in short yardage situations. This problem became most apparent on a Thursday night game in December at Cleveland.

Rather than trying to pick up a first down on a third and short by inserting a fullback and powering the ball forward, Pittsburgh ran a shotgun play with five wide outs.

They failed to convert.

The Steelers also failed to score a touchdown and dropped their fifth straight game, all but eliminating them from playoff contention.

It is situations such as these that Rooney hopes the Steelers can improve upon in 2010.

“We have to get back to being able to run the football when we need to run the football.”

How will the Steelers achieve this? Well, the first step was to send the message to the source of the problem, Bruce Arians.

According to Rooney, “Mike has talked to Bruce about that.”

The Steelers do not have to go back to three yards and a cloud of dust style, in which they run the ball 60 percent of the time. They will be expected, however, to improve upon the 42.2 percent that they ran the ball last season.

In a recent interview, Arians acknowledged the team’s short yardage issue.

”I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem. They got addressed (in 2008) with Gary Russell. Now is it going to be Rashard? It could be Isaac Redman, it could be by a bunch of guys. Is it a back or is it by committee? This time of year you get your running game going, but in training camp you find out that short-yardage stuff. You win the job that way.”

This past season, Redman looked to be the short yardage back, but did not suit up for the Steelers and instead spent much of the season on the practice squad.

What message does this send to the team —that their best short yardage back not only will not play in the game, but will not make the final roster? This is exactly why the Steelers could not convert in short yardage situations. The offensive coordinator did not put a stress on it and would rather throw for the first down than run for it.

Part of the reason that Arians feels that they can pass so much is he believes that is an extension of the running game.

“We take some short screen stuff and treat that as the running game.”

That is not quite how it works.

The offensive line does not move forward when they are pass blocking. They cannot impose their will on the defensive line and linebackers, to wear them down, which can be crucial —another problem area for the Steelers, as recognized by Arians.

“At the end of the game, in the four-minute (offense) to run out the clock and not punt the ball, short yards, we have to be more efficient.”

If the team was more effective at running the ball in the fourth quarter, the defense may not have blown so many leads and the Steelers could have been in the playoffs. However, this was not the case.

Pittsburgh did not put an emphasis on establishing the run last season in camp and as a result, could not impose their will on any team last season.

So with the problems recognized, what will be done about them?

Arians has an 1,100 yard running back with the ability to run inside or outside who is just on the brink of breaking out in Rashard Mendenhall.

Behind Mendenhall, there is the dependable Mewelde Moore, and then young running backs in Redman and rookie Jonathan Dwyer.

This stable of backs is more than enough to find success on the ground, but they could use some help from a fullback.

Prior to the start of last season, Arians noted this area of need.

“There’s not a fullback on the roster. There’s a running back that plays fullback, a tight end who plays fullback. I don’t have a fullback. There’s no fullback in my offense, there’s never going to be one.”

Never? Maybe not never.

Pittsburgh currently has one fullback on their roster, though his only experience at the position goes back to high school.

Demetrius Taylor is a 6'0" 273 lbs former defensive tackle who is trying out at fullback for the Steelers.

Taylor has potential to be a lead blocker for the offense and while it is unlikely he would see a significant amount of action, it would be expected that the Steelers use a fullback more this season than this past season.

Taylor will have to show enough blocking ability to beat out Sean McHugh and David Johnson, tight ends who also have the ability to play fullback. This would be a welcome addition for the Steelers running backs, particularly when trying to pick up short yardage.

Pittsburgh will also be entering the season with an improved offensive line.

First-round draft choice, Maurkice Pouncey, is likely to start from week one at right guard. The line should be able to generate more push and open up more holes this season.

However, do not expect the team to line up week one and pound the ball.

Opponents will be prepared for two reasons. First, they know the Steelers want to run the ball more this season and second, Pittsburgh is without Roethlisberger for at least the first four weeks of the season.

Without the playmaker at quarterback, teams can concentrate on stopping the run.

Expect the Steelers to work harder in camp this season to run the ball. But, be wary —Arians felt similarly confident entering last season that the Steelers would have a successful ground game.

“When we came out of training camp last year, we were running the ball as well as we have since Super Bowl XL. We’re having success in training camp, running the ball pretty good.”

Obviously it was not because the team was not effective at all. Then again, Arians did not try to establish the run at any point last season either.

This may be in part because he has trouble planning for certain defenses.

“Now the problem occurs when you see a different style, when you see penetrating 4-3 (defensive linemen). It’s a totally different technique for the offensive line and tight ends.”

Arians better prepare his team for 4-3 defenses, because he will see a lot of them this season. It is not a good excuse for the lack of a running game.

The message has been sent from the top, the personnel is in place, and the plan of action is set. It is up to Arians to see that Pittsburgh meets their goal this season. If not, the blame can be placed on his shoulders.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3951 ... -on-arians (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/395156-steelers-lack-of-running-game-can-be-blamed-on-arians)

I realize this is some Joe Schmo from the bleacherreport, but it was friggin' MONEY. This should be required reading for those who still cling to the idea that BA is not a problem.

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Arians Speaks

by WyoFan on May 20, 2010

Bruce Arians spoke publicly for the first time since last season here:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10140/1059455-66.stm

and here:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 82019.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_682019.html)

I don't know what to say. He's like the idiot that married your sister. Yeah, you love your sister, but every time he opens his mouth, you wonder what she sees in him. What can you do? Just continue to smile and pretend, for her sake, everything is okay.

Fortunately, the Steelers are not my sister.

From what I read, I got the impression that ol' Bruce really doesn't agree that his run game sucked last year. Oh, I get it, the receivers were the running backs, because in his mind, a short pass is really a run. It's all so clear now.

"Take the Super Bowl for example. There were seven catches or six catches Santonio [Holmes] had that were running plays when [there were] safeties blitz that are unblockable, and you have runs called. So it's not a 'number' of runs because we threw the ball out there and got a bunch of yards. 'Oh, that's a good pass.' No, that was a running play. That happens quite often. And what we do, we take some short screen stuff and treat that as [part of the] running game."

No, that wasn't clear at all. Sorry.

But, he did talk about the past success in the short yardage game with - Garry Russell?

"I think the critical runs, short-yardage, goal line, have been a problem," Arians said. "They got addressed (in 2008) with Gary Russell.

I've gotten older, my memory is Swiss Cheese at this point, can anyone refresh me as to when Gary Russell was "Addressing" the short yardage woes of the Steelers? And if he was, why didn't the Steelers keep using him?

This little gem made me choke on my Copenhagen:

"When we came out of training camp last year, we were running the ball as well as we have since Super Bowl XL (in 2005),"

Maybe, just maybe, Ariens was the bad influence on Holmes. He seems to be smoking the same stuff.

Of course, It's not Ariens fault that his team struggled against 4-3 defenses. It's not like it is his job to, you know, get his offense ready to play the next team. What, was it a shock to him when these teams lined up in a 4-3?

"We're having success in training camp, running the ball pretty good. Now the problem occurs when you see a different style, when you see penetrating 4-3 (defensive linemen). It's a totally different technique for the offensive line and tight ends."

That last quote smells like Bruce is the type of guy that doesn't take into account what the other team is doing. You know, the guys that says "Were going to play our game", no matter what. Which is fine when you impose your will on the other team, not when your running game sucks.

I'm hoping that Mr. Arians said this just to be nice to his friend :

Larry did a hell of a job

He is of course speaking of that guy we all know and love, Larry Zierlein. Yeah, he did a hell of a job, unless, the Steelers had to run against a 4-3 defense (or any defense), get short, critical yardage, or had to run a few minutes off the clock at the end of the game. Like I said, I hope Bruce was just showing the flag for a friend, otherwise, he is just delusional - Which I'm not ruling out.

I get the impression from reading these, and this is all just my opinion, that Bruce doesn't really think there was anything wrong with his performance last year. He seems to give excuses (4-3 defense, unblockable defensive plays) for his performance. Or, he says that some of the passing game is really the running game. Really? I get the impression he thinks we are just too dumb to understand all this, or too dumb to see through all his B.S.

It seems to me that he does not see any failure running the ball last year, even though he said it, and he is not really with the program. Kind of like he is being forced to address the running game, and he is doing it reluctantly.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... ans-speaks (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/5/20/1480317/arians-speaks)

fezziwig
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Was there a reason we didn't keep Russell ? I didn't thnk he was that bad and I thought he was better than Carey Davis. Wasn't Russell a lot heavier his rookie season and then lost weight the following season ? I much rather had a hefty Russell to punch the ball into the endzone but, I guess big doesn't always mean bad.

HeHateMe
05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Why blame Arians? WHY cant Ben audible to a run? Hes as much to blame isnt he? Arians calls his play BEFORE he sees the defense. Ben IF he was smart should change the play to offset the Defense he is looking at. Manning does it, Brady does it and Brees, Warner do it. NOTICE there is NO OFFENSIVE COODINATOR woes were there are cerebral Qb's?
How was Peyton Manning WITH Arians? I say PRETTY GOOD.

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Was there a reason we didn't keep Russell ? I didn't thnk he was that bad and I thought he was better than Carey Davis. Wasn't Russell a lot heavier his rookie season and then lost weight the following season ? I much rather had a hefty Russell to punch the ball into the endzone but, I guess big doesn't always mean bad.

Gary Russell was waived by the Steelers after police found marijuana during a raid of a house where Russell was staying.

HeHateMe
05-24-2010, 07:15 PM
Steelers get rid of the "Brothers" but keep the Rapist QB who has disgraced the franchise.

eniparadoxgma
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Steelers get rid of the "Brothers" but keep the Rapist QB who has disgraced the franchise.

So the Steelers are a racist organization now, eh? Why then do you root for them?

Flasteel
05-24-2010, 09:29 PM

You are rapidly proving to be one of the dumbest people on the Planet.

I'm talking Earth here dummy, not just Planet Steelers.

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2010, 10:09 PM

Planet Earth needs people like HeHatesBen -

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/11/11/633620163389800242-StupidPeopleRule.jpg

HeHateMe
05-25-2010, 01:24 AM

So the Steelers are a racist organization now, eh? Why then do you root for them?

I NEVER said they are racist. Feeling guilty? I merely pointed out the facts. Bam Morris, Cedric Wilson, Russell. They kept Harrison so that refutes your racist theory. But who has done more DAMAGE to the Steeler image? Ernie Holmes and all of the guys COMBINED can't touch what Ben has done. SORRY.

HeHateMe
05-25-2010, 01:25 AM

Sticks and Stones bro. Sticks and Stones

HeHateMe
05-25-2010, 01:26 AM

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/11/11/633620163389800242-StupidPeopleRule.jpg
Where did you learn to copy and paste urls? KINDERGARTEN?
:loser

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2010, 01:43 AM

Where did you learn to copy and paste urls? KINDERGARTEN?
:loser

Sticks and Stones bro. Sticks and Stones...

It's not easy stooping down to your level, but I'm giving it my best shot.

HeHateMe
05-25-2010, 01:46 AM
That was about as predictable as "THE MOON IS OUT TONIGHT"
YIGH YIGH YIGH YIGH

RuthlessBurgher
05-25-2010, 09:29 AM

I love that the person who created that pic making fun of stupid people spelled "without" as "withought" :shock:

They need to get a brain, just like everyone's favorite "Moran" :lol:

http://chrisvreeland.com/moran.jpg

eniparadoxgma
05-25-2010, 02:06 PM

I NEVER said they are racist. Feeling guilty? I merely pointed out the facts. Bam Morris, Cedric Wilson, Russell. They kept Harrison so that refutes your racist theory. But who has done more DAMAGE to the Steeler image? Ernie Holmes and all of the guys COMBINED can't touch what Ben has done. SORRY.

Right...so them "getting rid of the 'Brothers' but keeping the white Rapist QB" isn't saying they're racist lol.

You've quickly lost your ability to entertain. I'm done with you.

HeHateMe
05-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Right...so them "getting rid of the 'Brothers' but keeping the white Rapist QB" isn't saying they're racist lol.

You've quickly lost your ability to entertain. I'm done with you.
SHOW ME where I said "White" Qb. I'll wait. I SAID "keep the rapist" YOU'RE wrong AGAIN. The Steeler Nation is racist NOT THE ROONEYS. HOW would I know that UNLESS I WAS WHITE? I hear so MANY racist jokes about Tomlin. I would NEVER get to hear said jokes if I were a "brother". Because you guys' are COWARDS, you never say what you want to say around the "brothers". My color makes me privvy to things I wouldnt be privvy to if I wasnt white. Oh and don't let me get started on the President. WOW.

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2010, 08:08 PM
That was about as predictable as "THE MOON IS OUT TONIGHT"
YIGH YIGH YIGH YIGH

Hawaiiansteel: You don't frighten us, Pleasantville, NJ pig-dog! Go and boil your bottom, son of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so-called HeHateMe, you and all your silly Pleasantville K-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-niggits! [makes taunting gestures at Rod Smith]

HeHatesBen: But Ben is a RAPIST, although I have no proof whatsoever and Ben has never been convicted of anything [starts crying like a little baby]

Hawaiiansteel: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough water! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! Now leave before I am forced to taunt you a second time!

http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/fart-in-your-general-direct.jpg

HeHateMe
05-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Funny how when Michael Jackson wasnt convicted of anything. 90% of you viewed him as a pedophile. Of course you wont admit it now but its a fact. When has Jacko been convicted of anything? (I know I know. BEN WASNT CHARGED). We ALL know why that is.
LOL

Tomlinator
05-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Funny how when Michael Jackson wasnt convicted of anything. 90% of you viewed him as a pedophile. Of course you wont admit it now but its a fact. When has Jacko been convicted of anything? (I know I know. BEN WASNT CHARGED). We ALL know why that is.
LOL

Just stop this nonsense.

Somehow your personal honor was besmirched by the poor decisions of the QB of your favorite team. Get over yourself.

You have beaten a dead horse into a fossilized pulp. Your narrow minded, ill informed opinions and childish namecalling are old and tired. 250+ posts of garbage.

HeHateMe
05-26-2010, 05:49 PM
May I suggest that you read something else then sir. Answer the question. When Michael Jackson was found innocent, did you view him as innocent? Tell the Truth and Shame the Devil.
Watch them all tap dance around this. lol

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
word is Arians is employing a lot more 2-back sets so far in OTAs and that Mendy, Moore, Redman, Dwyer and Summers are all looking good so far.

any chance that all of them could make the team this year?

Prok
05-28-2010, 05:10 PM
word is Arians is employing a lot more 2-back sets so far in OTAs and that Mendy, Moore, Redman, Dwyer and Summers are all looking good so far.

I hope we have at least Mendy, Moore,Dwyer and Summers/Redman winner in camp battle.

I've grown very tired of Bruce's H-back stuff as well. Hopefully he DOES actually run some 2 back stuff this year.

HeHateMe
05-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Lol Told you.

SteelCrazy
05-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Lol Told you.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/shh.jpg

Steelgal
05-28-2010, 06:18 PM
May I suggest that you read something else then sir. Answer the question. When Michael Jackson was found innocent, did you view him as innocent? Tell the Truth and Shame the Devil.

You can have your opinion on what happened that night and we can have ours. There's only 2 people that know exactly what happened. There's various stories about who did what, so it's a crap shoot to know what to believe. It's pointless to keep stirring the pot. You think he's a rapist, obviously and I don't. Doesn't mean I think you're wrong, we just disagree.

Can we just let this go???

MasterOfPuppets
05-28-2010, 08:00 PM

i also remember the "pony" backfield getting some hype in camp before, everyone got all excited about the idea of having parker and mendenhall in the backfield at the same time ... never seen it once during the season...

Preacher
05-28-2010, 10:22 PM

i also remember the "pony" backfield getting some hype in camp before, everyone got all excited about the idea of having parker and mendenhall in the backfield at the same time ... never seen it once during the season...

Yep. I remember that to.

Personally, and I have said this a number of times. I just want the ball in the endzone. I don't CARE how we get it in there. As Tomlin says, style points don't matter.

As far as the running game. I can only remember two or three times over the last two years that this line was even ABLE to impose their will on another team. And that was only spotty at best. The only exception to that was the Playoffs against the Chargers and the few times we ran against the Browns in the last game last year. I am not infatuated with our run game, because our run blocking was horrid.

Going forward, I am hoping Pouncey takes care of the insided. Kemo has learned to pull, and is pretty dang good at now. Last year's preseason, he was horrid, couldn't even get to the place in time. But he has learned. So I do expect our run game to pick up this year. I just don't expect it to be the one-dimensional offense that crapped out 5 times in the AFCCG under Cowher.

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2010, 02:21 AM

I hope we have at least Mendy, Moore,Dwyer and Summers/Redman winner in camp battle.

I've grown very tired of Bruce's H-back stuff as well. Hopefully he DOES actually run some 2 back stuff this year.

I would like to see us be more effective in short-yardage situations. I hope I never see 5 wide and Ben in shotgun on 3rd and 1 again.

I was literally screaming at the tv during last season's Brownies game, that had to be Arians' finest hour... :x

HeHateMe
05-29-2010, 04:26 AM

You can have your opinion on what happened that night and we can have ours. There's only 2 people that know exactly what happened. There's various stories about who did what, so it's a crap shoot to know what to believe. It's pointless to keep stirring the pot. You think he's a rapist, obviously and I don't. Doesn't mean I think you're wrong, we just disagree.

Can we just let this go???
That is your opinion. What was your opinion on Michael Jackson? Do tell. You dont find it odd that the woman didnt file a Civil suit? You dont find it odd that Ben didnt act like a innocent man. You dont find the it odd that Goodell gave him such a harsh suspension (despite "not being charged") I think Bens own dad KNOWS his son is guilty. The only ones who believe in this POS are the HOMER Steeler fans. Ben is a POS, when he does something STUPID again and HE WILL. You just remember what I told you sir.
Yes, we can disagree, I'm not here to change anyones mind. As I said you guys could see footage of the act and you will still make excuses for this guy. I LOVE the Steelers. The Steelers are damaged because of THE RAPIST, so I will do to him what he did to my team. Fair exchange is no Robbery.

HeHateMe
05-29-2010, 04:32 AM
If you guys THINK the Steelers will emerge as a running team again you are sadly mistaken. The times have changed. It is a passing league now. I remember the wishes of Mr Rooney but the statements were way over blown. The offense will do what the defense dictates. With Leftwich in there will be more audibles and if he sees 8 or 9 in the box, he will audible to a pass. If teams stack the box, we certainly wont be running. Will we pass 40 times a game? NO! But who does anyway? Those that do, lose more than they win. Sure we will run but for those of you that think we will be the Steelers of the 70's again are mistaken.

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2010, 02:58 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers: To Run or Not To Run, That Is the Question

by Timothy Kessler Analyst

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/962/096/95422862_crop_340x234.jpg?1275170356

Karl Walter/Getty Images

Although it is too early to tell just yet how much of a focus the Steelers will put on improving their running game, Rashard Mendenhall seemingly isn’t fully confident that OC Bruce Arians is taking Art Rooney’s request to heart.

"It's tough to say right now because we're just trying to get back into things and I think our offense will form into shape as we get closer to camp. As a running back, you want the ball in your hands; you want to run the ball. That doesn't seem to be our focus. But whatever we're called to do, however this offense is formed and shaped, we'll be willing to do that."

Reminiscent of a similar request made by Willie Parker a few years back, which fell on deaf ears.

Rashard Mendenhall also made it clear that he would like to be running behind a fullback as the lead blocker this season, as opposed to a tight end.

Like all running backs, he would love to have a fullback slamming into the line to create some holes for him; although, it is well documented that OC Bruce Arians does not prefer to use fullbacks in his offense.

That is what makes the usually soft-spoken Mendenhall and his comments all the more intriguing.

“As a running back you want a fullback,” Mendenhall said. “A fullback is another set of eyes in the backfield; they kind of read and feel through things that receivers and tight ends don't normally do, so as a running back you want that.

“ (Fullbacks) being ball carriers they know what you’re trying to do, they know where you’re trying to go and they can get there before you so a lot of times the fullback will end up at the same place after reading a play.”

Such a statement makes Frank “The Tank” Summers an intriguing player to watch for as well as newly acquired Demetrius Taylor, a 6', 275 lb player out of Virginia Tech who has played fullback in the past.

If either can prove to the coaches that they can block like a fullback, it might persuade Arians to use the fullback more in the offense.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

Apparently not seeing the run stressed enough thus far, is this Rashard’s way of reminding Bruce where his focus is supposed to be this season?

The real question is: why in the world would the Steelers pick up an offensive coordinator who failed in Cleveland with an unbalanced offense that was known for its predictability? He has brought that very same pass-first offense here, to a city known for its running!

Goes to show you apparently cannot teach an old dog new tricks, if that is what the Steeler braintrust was thinking. But that is the makings of an entirely different article.

In the end, the only thing I see changing Arian's mind on this issue is Art Rooney and the fact that he can very well lose his job if the running game is not successful this season, as he is in his final year of his contract.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/398611-the-pittsburgh-steelers-to-run-or-not-to-run-that-is-the-question

Preacher
05-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Thing is, I NEVER heard anyone in the Steelers organization stressing the run for this coming year.

WHat I heard from them, was stressing to run the ball MORE EFFECTIVELY.

Those are two very different things.

Personally, and I have said this multiple times over the last couple years, what I want is BALANCE over the season.

If we are playing a team with a bad pass defense, Put the ball in the air 50 times.

If we are playing a team with a horrid run defense, run on them 50 times.

In the end, as long as we have more point on the board than they do, that is all I care about.

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2010, 03:26 AM
Thing is, I NEVER heard anyone in the Steelers organization stressing the run for this coming year.

Personally, and I have said this multiple times over the last couple years, what I want is BALANCE over the season.

If we are playing a team with a bad pass defense, Put the ball in the air 50 times.

In the end, as long as we have more point on the board than they do, that is all I care about.

the low point for me was the December game at Cleveland where we attempted 32 passes while rushing only 22 times for 75 yards.

Cleveland at the time owned the worst statistical defense in the league and the weather was horrible, yet Arians still chose to pass more than we ran.

BURGH86STEEL
05-30-2010, 07:48 AM

I agree.

I believe the team needs to do what ever is necessary to win games. Sometimes people get caught up into rankings. Rankings don't mean anything once games start. The number 32 rush defense can play like that number 1 rush defense any given Sunday. Same goes for any area of teams.

AngryAsian
05-30-2010, 07:56 AM

I agree.

I believe the team needs to do what ever is necessary to win games. Sometimes people get caught up into rankings. Rankings don't mean anything once games start. The number 32 rush defense can play like that number 1 rush defense any given Sunday. Same goes for any area of teams.

The thoughts made by you and Preacher is why, in the past, I've been hyper-critical of the Arians Offense. It seems he's been incapable of adaptive in-game decisions to address what the opposing defense is giving him in any particular game. The "Bashing the square peg into the round hole" mentality didn't work for us last year and we're going into a question mark year. 2008 worked because we had stellar defensive plays that won the tough games, and in 2009 we weren't able to get it done.

I will embrace any offensive scheme that gives us the flexibility to make whatever decision during the game to put up good offensive numbers, keep the time of possession high, control the game and get the "W." Reflecting back on the current SB Champions Saints' successful season.... rated #4 in passing and #6 in rushing...

balance.

BURGH86STEEL
05-30-2010, 09:35 AM

I agree.

The thoughts made by you and Preacher is why, in the past, I've been hyper-critical of the Arians Offense. It seems he's been incapable of adaptive in-game decisions to address what the opposing defense is giving him in any particular game. The "Bashing the square peg into the round hole" mentality didn't work for us last year and we're going into a question mark year. 2008 worked because we had stellar defensive plays that won the tough games, and in 2009 we weren't able to get it done.

I will embrace any offensive scheme that gives us the flexibility to make whatever decision during the game to put up good offensive numbers, keep the time of possession high, control the game and get the "W." Reflecting back on the current SB Champions Saints' successful season.... rated #4 in passing and #6 in rushing...

balance.

I believe we saw games where the offense adjusted and the players executed on those adjustments. It would take knowledge of the game plans, films study, and changes made to the offense to really know the success or failures over the coarse of a season.

I also believe that the offense did some good things. They were very productive in several areas last season and over the past few years. They need to improve in a few areas and become more consistent to take the next step. Becoming more consistent means getting more consistent play from the QB and Oline. As good as Ben was, his play was inconsistent and sporadic at times. Maybe the coaches flaws were making Ben the center piece of the offense to soon? Maybe Ben has to much say in the direction of the offense? Could it be that Ben does not work hard enough on his game to make the offense better? I hope the new Oline coach can help the Oline become a more consistent unit.

The offense put up good offensive numbers in several areas. I agree that they need to improve in a few areas. They were top 5 in TOP last season without the aid of a lot of turnovers. It takes a complete team effort to control games, get W's, and win SB's.

Saints defense provided that offense with a lot of turnovers(+7) so they could have more opportunities to achieve those rankings. Steelers were -3 in turnover ratio. If Steelers were +7 they make the playoffs in 09.

stlrz d
05-30-2010, 09:42 AM
We don't need to see the gameplan to know that it was foolish to keep dropping back to pass against the Eagles when Ben kept getting creamed...and likewise against the Browns.

It's pretty clear by Arains' statements that he believes his offense will work no matter what and he seemingly refuses to deviate from his plan...ever....

Well, except when Ben gets hurt because no other QB on the roster can evade the pass rush and shrug off defenders like the big fella does....

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2010, 05:29 PM
We don't need to see the gameplan to know that it was foolish to keep dropping back to pass against the Eagles when Ben kept getting creamed...and likewise against the Browns.

It's pretty clear by Arains' statements that he believes his offense will work no matter what and he seemingly refuses to deviate from his plan...ever....

Well, except when Ben gets hurt because no other QB on the roster can evade the pass rush and shrug off defenders like the big fella does....

i'm not sure if it's stubbornness or just being inept at making adjustments that makes me dislike Arians...i know i have not liked him since last season's game in Cleveland when he just continued passing in that horrible weather and forgot all about the ground game.

AngryAsian
06-01-2010, 05:34 PM

i'm not sure if it's stubbornness or just being inept at making adjustments that makes me dislike Arians...i know i have not liked him since last season's game in Cleveland when he just continued passing in that horrible weather and forgot all about the ground game.

BINGO. The lack of in-game adjustments, IMO killed us last year. The thing that's odd is that whenever Ben has not been in the line-up, he actually more competent in this department. Square peg, round hole... frustrating.

Flasteel
06-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I believe we saw games where the offense adjusted and the players executed on those adjustments. It would take knowledge of the game plans, films study, and changes made to the offense to really know the success or failures over the coarse of a season.

When you have a vast body of evidence which goes back to 2007 (not counting Cleveland, Indy, or any other gig), you kind of know what the problem is. It's easy to find plenty of success stories in this offense over that period, but it doesn't mitigate the consistently bad things which hold this offense back. The problems with Arians are glaring to me and have been for a long time.

BURGH86STEEL
06-01-2010, 07:19 PM

When you have a vast body of evidence which goes back to 2007 (not counting Cleveland, Indy, or any other gig), you kind of know what the problem is. It's easy to find plenty of success stories in this offense over that period, but it doesn't mitigate the consistently bad things which hold this offense back. The problems with Arians are glaring to me and have been for a long time.

I just don't understand why people in an organization that won 6 SB's an incompetent OC. Are they that blind? Did BA put hex on or brainwash the owner?

I can care less who the team brings in as OC. Fans will usually be overly critical of any OC. That is because some fans disagree with an offensive philosophy that is different from their own. No fans agrees with every play call. Fans always choose whipping boys for some reason. It appears that BA has been the main guy. Sometimes for good reasons and many times for illogical reasons. Oh well, it is what it is.

I suppose the successes are why BA is still around. I don't believe if any one area of the offense was consistently bad outside of the Oline. They pretty much had to start from scratch after losing 3 pro bowl players over the past several seasons. I think they are working their way back to becoming a more consistent unit. Other guys on the offense can help the Oline by doing their jobs a little better.

pepsyman1
06-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I'd have to say, I'm not a big fan of Arians offense as a whole. We put up lots of big pass yardage numbers last year but still only ranked 12th in points scored, so it's not like his "high powered" passing attack blew the doors off the NFL. As others have said, he does a poor job of making in-game adjustments and he has NO history anywhere of putting a strong running game on the field. Considering we don't play in perpetual sunshine or under a dome, it's unrealistic to be so unprepared for the type of football that is frequently necessary to win in December and January. God forbid Bruce, just use a friggin' fullback when appropriate. It'll show everyone your head isn't perpetually stuck in the sand.

Flasteel
06-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I just don't understand why people in an organization that won 6 SB's an incompetent OC. Are they that blind? Did BA put hex on or brainwash the owner?

I can care less who the team brings in as OC. Fans will usually be overly critical of any OC. That is because some fans disagree with an offensive philosophy that is different from their own. No fans agrees with every play call. Fans always choose whipping boys for some reason. It appears that BA has been the main guy. Sometimes for good reasons and many times for illogical reasons. Oh well, it is what it is.

I suppose the successes are why BA is still around. I don't believe if any one area of the offense was consistently bad outside of the Oline. They pretty much had to start from scratch after losing 3 pro bowl players over the past several seasons. I think they are working their way back to becoming a more consistent unit. Other guys on the offense can help the Oline by doing their jobs a little better.

You're absolutely right about the successes having something to do with it. There are other factors as well.
1. You just don't fire your OC the year after you hire him. I became hyper-critical of this offense around November of 2007. After the season I was vehement in my belief that you bring the guy back and let him work on the deficiencies.
2. You just don't fire your OC the year after you win a Super Bowl. The lone blemish on the 6th Lombardi is that it brought back BA.
3. His relationship with Ben. The greatest thing BA ever did was sit down with Roethlisberger and pare down the Steeler playbook. They tailored it to Roethlisberger and bonded in the process.

By all accounts Arians was as good as fired this offseason and it was widely expected by the fan base. Most say it was a last-minute pitch by Ben that saved him. I don't know and there isn't much use in speculating...but it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure the ownership felt less than thrilled with the job the offense was doing as well. How often do you see a guy named Rooney place the type of on-field mandate he did with the running game? How about never.

As far as this fan and which OC he will be critical of, it will be the one that sucks. I can tell you straight-up who I have been chronically critical of in the past:
1. Joe Walton
2. Kevin Gilbride
3. Ray Sherman
4. Bruce Arians

BA is on the hottest of seats this year and he didn't get there by not sucking. :tt2

stlrz d
06-01-2010, 09:55 PM

You're absolutely right about the successes having something to do with it. There are other factors as well.
1. You just don't fire your OC the year after you hire him. I became hyper-critical of this offense around November of 2007. After the season I was vehement in my belief that you bring the guy back and let him work on the deficiencies.
2. You just don't fire your OC the year after you win a Super Bowl. The lone blemish on the 6th Lombardi is that it brought back BA.
3. His relationship with Ben. The greatest thing BA ever did was sit down with Roethlisberger and pare down the Steeler playbook. They tailored it to Roethlisberger and bonded in the process.

By all accounts Arians was as good as fired this offseason and it was widely expected by the fan base. Most say it was a last-minute pitch by Ben that saved him. I don't know and there isn't much use in speculating...but it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure the ownership felt less than thrilled with the job the offense was doing as well. How often do you see a guy named Rooney place the type of on-field mandate he did with the running game? How about never.

As far as this fan and which OC he will be critical of, it will be the one that sucks. I can tell you straight-up who I have been chronically critical of in the past:
1. Joe Walton
2. Kevin Gilbride
3. Ray Sherman
4. Bruce Arians

BA is on the hottest of seats this year and he didn't get there by not sucking. :tt2

Where'd you get a copy of my list? :lol:

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2010, 10:30 PM

1. Joe Walton
2. Kevin Gilbride
3. Ray Sherman
4. Bruce Arians

wow, that is truly a very exclusive group of OC names you got there...you really have to suck to be included in this list. :tt2

HeHateMe
06-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Sorry I don't blame coaches too much I blame players. We have an execution problem not a coaching one. Funny Lebeau is not getting any criticism when Arians CLEARLY outcoached him last season. You guys ALL say that our 9-7 record was not On Ben it was on the defense. Welllllllllll who coaches that D? Certainly not Arians. I know Smith and Polamalu were hurt but do those excuses apply to Arians? Of course not nor are they accepted. You just don't like him. You all have a bias. One thing for certain in Steeler Nation is IF You want to become one of the "guys" just make a thread bashing Arians and you will get immediate acceptance. You are quick to credit BEN with his 09 and 07 stats but WHO called the majority of those plays? Arians did. IF you are deadset on giving Ben the credit for the plays that work then fine, then you must give him the blame for the plays that do not. HOW does Ben get credit for the good plays and Arians get the blame for the bad ones? Granted, when Ben throws a D Lineman off of him and makes a great play then of course Arians cannot get the credit for that. But when Ben throws an errant pass (See chiefs game and NO nobody hit his arm on the red zone pick. STOP THAT!) WHY do you guys get all over the guy because his qb made a bad pass? "WHY ARE WE PASSING THERE WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN RUNNING" This is revisionist history. We saw the same thing in the Chief game on the 4th and 1 call didnt we? "WHY ARE WE RUNNING HERE WE SHOULD BE PASSING!!"

You guys want me to RELAX and give Ben credit (and I agree for the most part) but you guys are THREE TIMES worse On Arians then I could ever be on Ben. Look at the mans success rate, it's not like he has produced terrible offenses. I still maintain that Arians calls his plays BEFORE the defense breaks their huddle, WHY can't Ben call an audible to a play that better suits what HE is looking at? Manning does, Brees does, Favre does etc. When is the last time you heard of those Qb's having OC problems or controverseys? Ben has the benefit of looking at the defense and changing a bad call to a good one and he should take advantage of that as the elite QB's do.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2010, 12:32 PM
It's not as if Steeler fans are hyper-critical of every single O.C. and treat even D.C. as a demi-God that can do no wrong. It appears to be a pretty even split of coordinators that we liked and disliked on each side of the ball over the past few decades.

On defense, we tended to like Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, and Jim Haslett.

On defense, we tended to dislike Tim Lewis, Dave Brazil, and Rod Rust.

On offense, we tended to like Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Mularkey, Chan Gailey, and Ron Erhardt.

On offense, we tended to dislike Bruce Arians, Kevin Gilbride, Ray Sherman, and Joe Walton.

Prok
06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Speaking of that last clowns game: Anyone else here feel BA was out-coached AND out-gameplanned that day by the lowly clowns CS ??

I have NO faith in BA's game-planning.

I'd rather see us run no-huddle with Ben calling plays the whole game.

flippy
06-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Speaking of that last clowns game: Anyone else here feel BA was out-coached AND out-gameplanned that day by the lowly clowns CS ??

me too Prok and Beans. Let's grab Jim Kelly as a QB coach and roll. Screw this notion that a hurry up offense can't work 100% of the time. It can get you to 4 straight SuperBowls.

Although I think Cleveland has a really good and underrated D. We got a little outplayed up front.

cruzer8
06-02-2010, 02:19 PM
It's not as if Steeler fans are hyper-critical of every single O.C. and treat even D.C. as a demi-God that can do no wrong. It appears to be a pretty even split of coordinators that we liked and disliked on each side of the ball over the past few decades.

On defense, we tended to like bad word LeBeau, Dom Capers, and Jim Haslett.

On offense, we tended to like Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Mularkey, Chan Gailey, and Ron Erhardt.

On offense, we tended to dislike Bruce Arians, Kevin Gilbride, Ray Sherman, and Joe Walton.

I hated Haslett.

flippy
06-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Interesting we like the guys who help us win for the most part. And hate those that help us lose. I'm noticing a trend in RB's list.

A lot of those OCs had Kordell too :wink

SteelAbility
06-02-2010, 02:58 PM

me too Prok and Beans. Let's grab Jim Kelly as a QB coach and roll. Screw this notion that a hurry up offense can't work 100% of the time. It can get you to 4 straight SuperBowls.

Although I think Cleveland has a really good and underrated D. We got a little outplayed up front.

Now the idea is to ditch Kelly between each AFCCG and each SB. You know, given his record in SBs and all. :wink: Perfect formula!

Prok
06-02-2010, 03:04 PM

F'n AYE !! The Bills never seemed to get "tired' and no-huddled their way through the NFL. And IMNSHO Ben would run it better than Kelly ever did. We're just too traditional and stubborn to accept change imo.

BTW i proly should change my handle to "Pork". lol

*Edit: This damn laptop's space bar don't work half the time argh...

flippy
06-02-2010, 03:29 PM

F'n AYE !! The Bills never seemed to get "tired' and no-huddled their way through the NFL. And IMNSHO Ben would run it better than Kelly ever did. We're just too traditional and stubborn to accept change imo.

I kinda like Prok. But if you ever feel like changing it you could go with the classic:

http://slyoyster.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/porkys.jpg

Prok
06-02-2010, 03:42 PM
I put Porky's up there with Fast times at Ridgemont High, Goodfella's and The Warriors as my top 4 all-time movies.

Prok
06-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Ah what the heck i'll just add Pulp Fiction to round out my top 5. lol

flippy
06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I put Porky's up there with Fast times at Ridgemont High, Goodfella's and The Warriors as my top 4 all-time movies.

a pretty funny photoshop would be Ben putting lil Ben in the hole in the girl's shower. hiding the details of course.

RuthlessBurgher
06-02-2010, 03:59 PM

On defense, we tended to like bad word LeBeau, Dom Capers, and Jim Haslett.

I hated Haslett.

His allegations of the 70's Steeler teams bringing steroids to the NFL (when it was widely known that it began with the Chargers in the early-to-mid 60's) made him personata non grata in the Burgh. But I had no problem with him when he was a coach here. He was no Dick LeBeau (who he replaced when St. LeBeau left for Cincy), but he was better than Tim Lewis, who replaced him.

AngryAsian
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM

"Warriors... come out and play."

"Warriors... come out and play!"

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/warriors.jpg

Classic... a fav... but how could The Boondock Saints not make your list? :shock:

Prok
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM

"Warriors... come out and play!"

http://www.searchviews.com/wp-content/themes/clean-copy-full-3-column-1/images/warriors.jpg

Classic... a fav... but how could The Boondock Saints not make your list? :shock:

Oh that voice was soooo eery IMO. Great stuff.

Can't remember seeing Boondock Saints, believe it or not.
I'd prolly put it in my top 10 if I did.
Hmm. The Godfather and Casino would be there as well. I've ALWAYS loved mobster/gang type movies.

papillon
06-02-2010, 09:08 PM

This one's too easy...change it to "Prok and Beans" :moon :P

Pappy

Prok
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Well if we have custom user titles i could put Prok and beans there for Flippy. lol

feltdizz
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry I don't blame coaches too much I blame players. We have an execution problem not a coaching one. Funny Lebeau is not getting any criticism when Arians CLEARLY outcoached him last season. You guys ALL say that our 9-7 record was not On Ben it was on the defense. Welllllllllll who coaches that D? Certainly not Arians. I know Smith and Polamalu were hurt but do those excuses apply to Arians? Of course not nor are they accepted. You just don't like him. You all have a bias. One thing for certain in Steeler Nation is IF You want to become one of the "guys" just make a thread bashing Arians and you will get immediate acceptance. You are quick to credit BEN with his 09 and 07 stats but WHO called the majority of those plays? Arians did. IF you are deadset on giving Ben the credit for the plays that work then fine, then you must give him the blame for the plays that do not. HOW does Ben get credit for the good plays and Arians get the blame for the bad ones? Granted, when Ben throws a D Lineman off of him and makes a great play then of course Arians cannot get the credit for that. But when Ben throws an errant pass (See chiefs game and NO nobody hit his arm on the red zone pick. STOP THAT!) WHY do you guys get all over the guy because his qb made a bad pass? "WHY ARE WE PASSING THERE WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN RUNNING" This is revisionist history. We saw the same thing in the Chief game on the 4th and 1 call didnt we? "WHY ARE WE RUNNING HERE WE SHOULD BE PASSING!!"

You guys want me to RELAX and give Ben credit (and I agree for the most part) but you guys are THREE TIMES worse On Arians then I could ever be on Ben. Look at the mans success rate, it's not like he has produced terrible offenses. I still maintain that Arians calls his plays BEFORE the defense breaks their huddle, WHY can't Ben call an audible to a play that better suits what HE is looking at? Manning does, Brees does, Favre does etc. When is the last time you heard of those Qb's having OC problems or controverseys? Ben has the benefit of looking at the defense and changing a bad call to a good one and he should take advantage of that as the elite QB's do.

bingo.

Half way through the season I started backing BA and predicted he would stay. I was called all types of names for being a BA fan. For the record... I am not a BA fan but accepted our change in philosophy and the relationship he has with Ben, the 4000, 2000, 1000 was also impressive.

During the season I noticed when I criticized our O for not running in the redzone the same fans who bashed BA were saying it's a passing league and Ben is man who should have the ball. It's definitely revisionist with the BA haters. On PS it's a quick in to say BA sucks and blame him for the lack of redzone execution. Funny how we put up big yards but in the redzone when the windows are tighter and the reads are faster we suffer. Damn near everyone agrees Ben isnt the best at reading D's yet somehow it's all BA's fault? The OL was ehhh last year and our WR's weren't out jumping anyone... maybe it's personell as well?

BA wasn't getting fired and he isn't on the hotseat. He has a suspended QB and lost his best WR this offseason.... This is no different then Casey Hampton being a fat underacheiver or Timmons being a disappointment.... or Ben being traded.

Nothing wrong with being critical but it's hilarious how every good play is all Ben but every bad play is all Arians. We even watched Lefty come in and run the same plays as Ben in the Washington game and have success when Ben was struggling. Small sample size but maybe... just maybe, if the plays are run like they are called more often we won't have the dreaded 3 game stretch of terrible offense. Look at Dixon in Baltimore.. not a great game but EVERYONE said it was impossible and if the D doesn't give up the 3rd and 20 like they always do we win. People had the nerve to blame BA for our D looking like trash last year... talk about pathetic.

stlrz d
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM

bingo.

Half way through the season I started backing BA and predicted he would stay. I was called all types of names for being a BA fan. For the record... I am not a BA fan but accepted our change in philosophy and the relationship he has with Ben, the 4000, 2000, 1000 was also impressive.

During the season I noticed when I criticized our O for not running in the redzone the same fans who bashed BA were saying it's a passing league and Ben is man who should have the ball. It's definitely revisionist with the BA haters. On PS it's a quick in to say BA sucks and blame him for the lack of redzone execution. Funny how we put up big yards but in the redzone when the windows are tighter and the reads are faster we suffer. Damn near everyone agrees Ben isnt the best at reading D's yet somehow it's all BA's fault? The OL was ehhh last year and our WR's weren't out jumping anyone... maybe it's personell as well?

BA wasn't getting fired and he isn't on the hotseat. He has a suspended QB and lost his best WR this offseason.... This is no different then Casey Hampton being a fat underacheiver or Timmons being a disappointment.... or Ben being traded.

Nothing wrong with being critical but it's hilarious how every good play is all Ben but every bad play is all Arians. We even watched Lefty come in and run the same plays as Ben in the Washington game and have success when Ben was struggling. Small sample size but maybe... just maybe, if the plays are run like they are called more often we won't have the dreaded 3 game stretch of terrible offense. Look at Dixon in Baltimore.. not a great game but EVERYONE said it was impossible and if the D doesn't give up the 3rd and 20 like they always do we win. People had the nerve to blame BA for our D looking like trash last year... talk about pathetic.

Completely false.

Flasteel
06-02-2010, 10:59 PM
bingo.

You do realize where you're hitching your wagon...don't you dizz? :lol:

NJ-STEELER
06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
I The Warriors

nice

troy lokks like cyrus

NJ-STEELER
06-03-2010, 12:08 AM
feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

eniparadoxgma
06-03-2010, 01:44 AM
bingo.

Birds of a feather. :D

stlrz d
06-03-2010, 07:42 AM
feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.

feltdizz
06-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah.. I'm him. :roll:

flippy
06-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah.. I'm him. :roll:

At least you're not her...

HeHateMe
06-03-2010, 12:48 PM

bingo.

+1000

HeHateMe
06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
bingo.

Dont agree with Hehateme "everyone hates that guy you cant agree with him. You are going to get the wrath of the whole board by doing that." NOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE WRATH OF THE BOARD. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HeHateMe
06-03-2010, 12:52 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2fzt3h7o]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.[/quote:2fzt3h7o]
Anytime a person agrees with Me they are me? In that case you are ALL ME because I KNOW most of you agree with my points you are just too proud to say it. Scared of the WRATH OF THE BOARD. Lol

feltdizz
06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":fjosde5h]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.
Anytime a person agrees with Me they are me? In that case you are ALL ME because I KNOW most of you agree with my points you are just too proud to say it. Scared of the WRATH OF THE BOARD. Lol[/quote:fjosde5h]

yeah... it's sad how guys become "conspiracy nuts" because 2 people agree on BA or aren't total Ben homers.

Notice how none of them will refute the points or address the actual subject...
all they will do is scream FB and use the Cleveland game as proof BA is a bum...

but use Ben's stats that show he is prone to erratic play at times in the season and they all lose it.

The same people saying Watch out were the same ones saying BA would be fired.

cruzer8
06-03-2010, 02:30 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3cnrlnjq]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.[/quote:3cnrlnjq]

Me too. Still do.

feltdizz
06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":bply4mff]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.

Me too. Still do.[/quote:bply4mff]

How sad... and hilarious. HHM has you guys all twisted. LOL!!!

fezziwig
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Planet Steeler = The Trib

ikestops85
06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
yeah... it's sad how guys become "conspiracy nuts" because 2 people agree on BA or aren't total Ben homers.

all they will do is scream FB and use the Cleveland game as proof BA is a bum...

but use Ben's stats that show he is prone to erratic play at times in the season and they all lose it.

This is where you lose me. I don't think anyone on this board thinks Ben is a perfect QB. They all know he has flaws. So does Manning and Brady and Rivers and Brees, etc. Wasn't Mannings QB rating in the playoffs for the year the Colts won the SB in the 60s or 70s?

I personally agree with you that Ben is erratic at times. There are many games I am yelling at him to throw the ball away or dump the ball off. There are also many times I am left cheering and scratching my head wondering how in the hell he made that play.

Ben reminds me of a young Brett Favre who is improving every year. He has that gunslinger mentality and he is a winner. He gives 1000% when he is in the game and his teamates appreciate and admire him for that.

I know our defense played lights out in 2008 but I am still in awe on what Ben did with that pitiful offensive line. His Houdini like escapes that year are something I will remember till my dying days. I think he is the most exciting QB playing the game right now and the QB I want in the game at crunch time.

Prok
06-03-2010, 03:39 PM

This is where you lose me. I don't think anyone on this board thinks Ben is a perfect QB. They all know he has flaws. So does Manning and Brady and Rivers and Brees, etc. Wasn't Mannings QB rating in the playoffs for the year the Colts won the SB in the 60s or 70s?

I personally agree with you that Ben is erratic at times. There are many games I am yelling at him to throw the ball away or dump the ball off. There are also many times I am left cheering and scratching my head wondering how in the hell he made that play.

Ben reminds me of a young Brett Favre who is improving every year. He has that gunslinger mentality and he is a winner. He gives 1000% when he is in the game and his teamates appreciate and admire him for that.

I know our defense played lights out in 2008 but I am still in awe on what Ben did with that pitiful offensive line. His Houdini like escapes that year are something I will remember till my dying days. I think he is the most exciting QB playing the game right now and the QB I want in the game at crunch time.
BRAVO and AMEN !!

hawaiiansteel
06-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Planet Steeler = The Trib

although there are quite a few of us here at Planet Steeler who were also at the old Trib Board, I wouldn't agree that they are exactly the same.

fortunately for Planet Steeler, some of the posters from the Trib Board who were overly argumentative and confrontational are no longer posting here.

in addition, some fresh blood has been injected to Planet Steeler by posters who never were at the Trib and they are making some very positive contributions.

so in my humble opinion...

Planet Steeler > The Trib

flippy
06-03-2010, 04:06 PM

agreed. Come to think of it though, I can't even remember who's new versus who's was at the Trib. Everyone at the planet seems like they've been my Steeler bretheren forever.

Let's go!!!!!

hawaiiansteel
06-03-2010, 04:24 PM

agreed. Come to think of it though, I can't even remember who's new versus who's was at the Trib. Everyone at the planet seems like they've been my Steeler bretheren forever.

Let's go!!!!!

awww, i think it's time for a group hug!!! http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/images/smilies/grouphug.gif

feltdizz
06-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Ike... it is true that some fans lose it if someone criticizes Ben's play. It's a well known fact Ben is a very good QB who has 2 rings and some amazing plays... but this whole "so does Brees and Manning" makes zero sense.

I don't care what the other elite QB's do wrong... it doesn't make our team any better knowing that Manning and Brees also make mistakes...

Using the "they also make mistakes" could apply to BA as well... even the best OC calls a few plays that don't work...

I don't expect perfection but I expect our Red Zone to be much better than it was last year.

NKySteeler
06-03-2010, 06:40 PM
I expect our Red Zone to be much better than it was last year.

... I think most of us fans pretty much DEMAND it. Hopefully, so does the coaching staff.

HeHateMe
06-03-2010, 06:49 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":yd4evduu]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.
Anytime a person agrees with Me they are me? In that case you are ALL ME because I KNOW most of you agree with my points you are just too proud to say it. Scared of the WRATH OF THE BOARD. Lol

The same people saying Watch out were the same ones saying BA would be fired.[/quote:yd4evduu]
That is because it is human nature to point the blame when there are failures. They like Ben and dont like BA, so when it comes to blame you have to decide Ben or Arians? Arians is the obvious choice. Is it fair? No. Is it accurate? No.

HeHateMe
06-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Ben is an underachiever. The guy could be great if he worked as hard as Hines, Polamalu, Heath and Harrison.

feltdizz
06-03-2010, 07:07 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1i9o8r3a]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.

That is because it is human nature to point the blame when there are failures. They like Ben and dont like BA, so when it comes to blame you have to decide Ben or Arians? Arians is the obvious choice. Is it fair? No. Is it accurate? No.[/quote:1i9o8r3a]

bingo... Can't blame Ben so blame BA... similar to Tomlin winning with Cowhers guys...

Whenthe D blew last year did they blame Lebeau? Nope... They blamed BA.

BA is responsible for the oil spill too.

Flasteel
06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
bingo... Can't blame Ben so blame BA... similar to Tomlin winning with Cowhers guys...

BP...not BA.

SteelAbility
06-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Personally I blamed the loss of Troy and Aaron Smith. One was in the final 5 for the '08 DPOY voting and was replaced by a slow-footed liability, not an asset. The other is a top 5 run stuffer who was replaced by an average-at-best backup. Not to mention the loss of depth, which accumulates not only during the game but from game to game.

I guess I forgot the "BA Blame Rule." If you are a BA critic, then obviously you are blaming ALL our problems on BA. :roll:

flippy
06-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Prok and I already fixed this problem. We're bringing Jim Kelly in as QB coach to run the K-Gun. Ben's unstoppable in the gun with everyone spread out. BA's holding us back with this belief that you can't go no huddle the whole game.

Ben in the K-Gun would make the Saints offense look pedestrian.

And we'd go to more than 4 straight SuperBowls.

Do what your players do best.

That's why Lebeau doesn't get criticism. He puts his guys in the best position possible to make plays.

BA's tries to get too cute with his formations and 3 TE sets. I think he can be good if Whiz is around to reel him in. But when you have a head coach without offensive experience, BA's out of control.

BA's got a history of horrible situational play calling.

flippy
06-04-2010, 09:55 AM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2n9w6vqq]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.

Me too. Still do.[/quote:2n9w6vqq]

I'm on board with yinz. Should we start calling him HeFeltMe or HeFeltHis?

ramblinjim
06-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Felt sometimes walks to the beat of a different drum but I think HHM is one of a kind. :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2010, 12:07 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3la8yn3b]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.

Me too. Still do.

I'm on board with yinz. Should we start calling him HeFeltMe or HeFeltHis?[/quote:3la8yn3b]

HeFeltDizzNutz

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/deez-nutz.jpg

I don't think they are the same person, for what it's worth. Just thought it was funny.

flippy
06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1l6ily0i]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.

Me too. Still do.

I'm on board with yinz. Should we start calling him HeFeltMe or HeFeltHis?

HeFeltDizzNutz

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l50/ropewalk_2006/deez-nutz.jpg

I don't think they are the same person, for what it's worth. Just thought it was funny.[/quote:1l6ily0i]

I don't think so either, just went with it to combine the names and be a goofball.

Did you see HeFeltHis?

Who?

HeFeltDeez Nuts!!!!!! Wooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Now if there was only someone named Bofa, as in Bofa Deez Nuts!!!!!!

or someone named Pizza...so we could get HeFeltaPizzaBofa Deez Nuts!!!!!!

We need a smiley that is this guy :moon backward for when we wanna drop a Deez Nuts on someone.

feltdizz
06-04-2010, 01:06 PM
HHM is turning me into a legend.

Back in college I used to promote shows.. one show didn't go over well because the main act didn't show up. A guy put up WANTED Posters all over the city with me and my friend on them. These things were glued to everything...

A coworker at my job asked me if we did it as self promotion.

This feels similar

flippy
06-04-2010, 01:28 PM

Back in college I used to promote shows.. one show didn't go over well because the main act didn't show up. A guy put up WANTED Posters all over the city with me and my friend on them. These things were glued to everything...

This feels similar

that's pretty funny. famous or infamous, all publicity is good publicity. it even works for Ben's situation. So many more people know who he is now. And it'll work out for his benefit eventually.

Flasteel
06-04-2010, 06:06 PM

This feels similar

Sounds a lot like this :lol: :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN8sglE7jHQ

(sorry...gotta run and can't remember how to directly link the video :oops: )

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2010, 03:08 PM

This feels similar

hey felt,

i think you're really cool and always appreciate your posts. unlike HHM, you are able to comment on a wide variety of topics and i love the way you think outside the box.

hey, if all of us thought alike that would make for a pretty boring world, wouldn't you agree? :Cheers

feltdizz
06-05-2010, 05:01 PM
:Cheers

HeHateMe
06-05-2010, 11:24 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":3snqsmjb]feltdizz = HeHateMe

HMMMM?

I had that same thought.

Me too. Still do.

I'm on board with yinz. Should we start calling him HeFeltMe or HeFeltHis?[/quote:3snqsmjb]
Man was that a DUD

HeHateMe
06-05-2010, 11:26 PM

This feels similar

hey felt,

i think you're really cool and always appreciate your posts. unlike HHM, you are able to comment on a wide variety of topics and i love the way you think outside the box.

hey, if all of us thought alike that would make for a pretty boring world, wouldn't you agree? :Cheers
Can you say OXYMORON?

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Can you say OXYMORON?

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead boys got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot each other,
One was blind and the other couldn't see,
So they chose a dummy for a referee.
A blind man went to see fair play,
A dumb man went to shout "hooray!"
A paralysed donkey passing by,
Kicked the blind man in the eye,
Knocked him through a nine inch wall,
Into a dry ditch and drowned them all,
A deaf policeman heard the noise,
And came to arrest the two dead boys,
If you don't believe this story’s true,
Ask the blind man; he saw it too!

HeHateMe
06-06-2010, 01:56 AM
ARIANS ROCKS!!!!!

hawaiiansteel
06-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Arians' complete inability to make in-game adjustments is what drives me crazy, not to mention his play-calling on 3rd and short.

has Arians ever had an effective running game anyplace he has ever coached at?

HeHateMe
06-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Arians' complete inability to make in-game adjustments is what drives me crazy, not to mention his play-calling on 3rd and short.

Tell Ben to AUDIBLE like all of the ELITE Qbs. It totally ELIMINATES the OC.

hawaiiansteel
06-09-2010, 08:32 PM

i'll be sure to mention that to Ben when we have dinner together tonight...

HeHateMe
06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
THX BRO!!!

stlrz d
06-09-2010, 10:42 PM

Tell him to keep running the no huddle where he calls the plays...the offense is much better when he's running the show!

HeHateMe
06-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Tell him to keep running the no huddle where he calls the plays...the offense is much better when he's running the show!
Uh Arians sometimes calls the plays in the No Huddle as well. IF Ben is so good at calling plays then why doesnt he audible and call plays according to the defense he is viewing?

ikestops85
06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Ike... it is true that some fans lose it if someone criticizes Ben's play. It's a well known fact Ben is a very good QB who has 2 rings and some amazing plays... but this whole "so does Brees and Manning" makes zero sense.

I don't care what the other elite QB's do wrong... it doesn't make our team any better knowing that Manning and Brees also make mistakes...

Using the "they also make mistakes" could apply to BA as well... even the best OC calls a few plays that don't work...

I don't expect perfection but I expect our Red Zone to be much better than it was last year.

Felt ... I think we pretty much agree. Some fans do take exception when others cherry pick Ben's bad games or the reverse when some cherry pick only his good games. What is hard to argue is that Ben is clutch ... as good as any QB in the league when the pressure is on.

I also agree that our Red Zone attack is horrible. It's bad when I would much rather have 1st and goal at the 10 instead of 1st and goal at the 3. Some blame the RB for our poor performance in this area ... others blame the QB. I, myself, think it is a problem with the offensive line.

Last year alone inside the 5 yard line I have seen Colon fall down trying to make a block, Kemo whiff trying to make a block and Hartwig driven 4 yards into the backfield. Some here complain about Ben's erratic play but I feel the O-line is far more erratic and responsible for stopping drives moreso than Ben.

None of this means Ben can't improve his game. He certainly can and he hopefully will.

:tt2

HeHateMe
06-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Clutch Qbs dont miss the playoffs TWICE in their primes. See Manning and Brady. Ben is the ONLY Qb to miss the playoffs TWICE after winning a Super Bowl. That is not clutch sorry. Although I do recognize that Ben has the ability to pull a game out every once in a while (Never more than 10 points) i'll give him that but when the defense failed you saw how limited he was as a "clutch" player. We were 23rd in the NFL in red zone efficiency. Ben has been below average his whole career in the redzone.That is not clutch, sorry.

ikestops85
06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Clutch Qbs dont miss the playoffs TWICE in their primes. See Manning and Brady. Ben is the ONLY Qb to miss the playoffs TWICE after winning a Super Bowl. That is not clutch sorry. Although I do recognize that Ben has the ability to pull a game out every once in a while (Never more than 10 points) i'll give him that but when the defense failed you saw how limited he was as a "clutch" player. We were 23rd in the NFL in red zone efficiency. Ben has been below average his whole career in the redzone.That is not clutch, sorry.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but it differs greatly from most who play in the NFL ... especially from those who count. Ben's teammates, sorry.

HeHateMe
06-11-2010, 07:15 AM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but it differs greatly from most who play in the NFL ... especially from those who count. Ben's teammates, sorry.
You mean the guys who dont even like him? It is a KNOWN fact that Ben is not liked by his Steelers Brethren. What you hear them saying in the media today is nothing more than management telling them "we have made a commitment to Ben and I don't want anyone publicly bashing our qb. Ben has promised to mend his ways and we are moving forward with him." But IF you think the rest of the Steelers are welcoming the coming verbal assault on the road because of the actions of their teammate then you are mistaken. Ben played his butt off in 07 and thosse teammates voted Harrison the team MVP. If THAT isnt proof enough for you then I don't know what is. I have a video of Ben admitting this if you would like to see it just say the word sir. Sorry

eniparadoxgma
06-11-2010, 07:21 AM

Stop quoting the troll. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

stlrz d
06-11-2010, 07:51 AM

It was unintentional!

eniparadoxgma
06-11-2010, 08:14 AM

It was unintentional!

Well, I finally "foe"d 'em myself so I won't be doing it anymore. I've came to the conclusion that it's probably Harry Nutzack/Steeler Shades back under a different alias in order to annoy the hell out of people. Even if it's not it's close enough for me. If I can't launch into profanity-laden diatribes about his significant others than I'm better off not fooling with 'em. :D

HeHateMe
06-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Takes one to know one.

HeHateMe
06-11-2010, 12:12 PM

It was unintentional!

Well, I finally "foe"d 'em myself so I won't be doing it anymore. I've came to the conclusion that it's probably Harry Nutzack/Steeler Shades back under a different alias in order to annoy the hell out of people. Even if it's not it's close enough for me. If I can't launch into profanity-laden diatribes about his significant others than I'm better off not fooling with 'em. :D
I am "Felt" I am Nutzack and "Steeler Shades". Why is it when a person has a differing opinion than the masses, why are the other posters so insecure that they automatically assume that people are other people? This is insecurity at its highest form

costanza2k1
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Here's something to quote:
http://www.desithreads.com/images/thank_you_come_again_det.jpg

It was fun while it lasted.

flippy
06-11-2010, 12:27 PM
You guys better stop bad mouthing BA. Otherwise he might do interviews with other message boards and not us.

Have we become the WPXI of message boards?

cruzer8
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM

It was unintentional!

Remember Ryan Leaf? :shock:

hawaiiansteel
06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
You guys better stop bad mouthing BA. Otherwise he might do interviews with other message boards and not us.

Have we become the WPXI of message boards?

Plays Bruce Arians doesn't know about, part 1: BOSS

by prophicide on Jun 10, 2010 7:10 PM

http://www.shootstarphoto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/blog7_dsc_6771-copy.jpg

"Take the Super Bowl for example. There were seven catches or six catches Santonio [Holmes] had that were running plays when [there were] safeties blitz that are unblockable, and you have runs called. So it's not a 'number' of runs because we threw the ball out there and got a bunch of yards. 'Oh, that's a good pass.' No, that was a running play. That happens quite often. And what we do, we take some short screen stuff and treat that as [part of the] running game."

Remember this Bruce Arians interview? Everyone thought this was a confusing excuse for not running the ball. Arians seems to believe he has discovered a heretofore unappreciated flaw in running attacks. I think that with the personnel the Steelers use, aborting running calls is the correct decision. Arians' mistake is his conclusion that calling an audible when runs are likely to fail is the solution. Obviously this does not lead to a balanced attack and allows other teams to make the Steelers one-dimensional. In fact, it essentially cedes the decision to the other team, instead of imposing our will.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0217/nfl_g_tomlin_arians1_300.jpg

The Steelers should have a great running attack with excellent blockers Kemoeatu, Colon, Miller, and hopefully Pouncey, and a featured back in Rashard Mendenhall. I couldn't find a good highlight of an individual play from his breakout game against the Chargers, but Kemo and Miller threw most of the key blocks on his long runs. However, the rushing attack often gets frustrated when defenses play the run. Mendenhall recently stated publicly that he prefers to run behind a fullback. Hopefully Tomlin hears him; we are taking several fullback candidates to training camp so our use of a fullback most likely depends on one of those players being viable.

BOSS stands for Back On Strong Safety. A self explanatory play, the fullback's role is to pick up the "unblockable" strong safety and clear the way for the running back to reach the second level. The team that made the best use of this play last season were the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns O-Line has two great players in Mack and Thomas, but the rest of the line drags the unit down to average at best (very hard to do considering the quality at C and LT). However, it was enough for Jerome Harrison to break off over 250 yards rushing, with a little help from a fullback.

Look at these highlights from Jerome Harrison's monster 286 yd game last year against the Chiefs in week 15. Some of you may remember the footnote of him breaking the Cleveland Browns record for rushing in a single game set by Jim "F***ing" Brown. The fullback, number 47 Lawrence Vickers, slams into the line of scrimmage with an audible grunt and makes a key block on both plays.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-bro ... or-the-win (http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/09000d5d8151d28e/WK-15-Can-t-Miss-Play-Harrison-for-the-win)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-bro ... ard-TD-run (http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/09000d5d8151c7d4/Harrison-8-yard-TD-run)

This play isn't B.O.S.S. (supposedly it's a Counter-F but I'm no expert), but still a great play from Vickers: http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-bro ... ard-TD-run (http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/09000d5d8151bf90/Harrison-71-yard-TD-run)

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... oesnt-know (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/6/10/1512117/plays-bruce-arians-doesnt-know)