PDA

View Full Version : Steelers - Worst Case Roster Scenarios

Steel Life
05-14-2010, 10:18 PM
With mini-camps getting underway soon & threads about who makes the team cropping up, I began to appreciate how we are well-prepared to deal with Ben’s suspension from a personnel standpoint. Each of the candidates has their pluses & minuses - in Leftwich we have a veteran with a great arm & familiarity with our offense but with a lumbering pocket-presence that might get him killed behind our line; with Dixon we’ve got another live-armed QB, who’s a tremendous athlete in the Vince Young mold but lacks game experience; & we have Charlie Batch, who can help these two with diagnosing the offense from a former starter’s perspective. But I realized that we really don’t enjoy that same depth at other positions – as we experienced last year with the loss of Troy & Aaron.

So I got to thinking…what other players, if they were to go down, would cause the most calamity on the team? And what resulting moves would or could be made to address it? Would they go with who’s already here or would they go outside the organization via trades or FA signings? While I’ll rank them in my order of importance, that’s more a reflection of the holes the team would be in if that player went down & not necessarily a ranking of important players. For example, while Casey, Woodley & Harrison are all critical, we have a number of capable alternatives to deal with their loss. Troy still is the most dynamic player & the most irreplaceable, but I think that if they lost him again this season that they'd be more prepared than they were last year. Here it goes...

1. Hines Ward – This is a real possibility as Ward continues to deal with hamstring issues. Age & wear were already considerations, but if the hamstring were to severely limit him or some other injury take him out – then what would we do? Losing Hines would change the entire offense because of inexperience or age. Mike Wallace would become our #1 WR in his first year starting, when we have no idea as to how he’s going to handle ascending to Santonio’s spot & for the #2, we have a host of has-beens & haven’t-proved-anything WRs sliding up into spots they are ill-equipped to man. The next best candidate - ARE - is not #2 quality anymore & Battle is a special-teamer & possible #4 at this juncture of his career. The other WRs are a collection of undersized rookies & UDFA players who can’t be trusted to step up at this juncture. Perhaps if Sweed hadn’t gone down I’d feel more at ease, but with his injury & Santonio’s trade, a serious injury to Hines would be the most devastating & the playoffs wouldn’t be likely.

FA Solution: Sign Terrell Owens. Being a veteran Owens can digest a playbook & knows how to get open. He still has some speed, commands respect from a defense & is deceptively physical.

Trade Solution: Target Jordy Nelson (GB) or Louis Murphy (OAK) – building for the future as both are young, have decent size & wouldn’t command too much.

2. Reshard Mendenhall – If Mendy goes down we have no proven “bell-cow” RB to replace him & with the renewed emphasis on the running game that would be over. Looking who’s behind him, there’s one veteran - Melwelde Moore - & a host of unproven players. Moore is a nice change-of-pace RB but not a #1 on any offense & we saw his running production really take step back last season. There will be some to point to the newly drafted RB Dwyer as a possibility – especially since RB is the easiest position to step into as a rookie – but with his coming from Ga Tech’s triple-option, we don’t know how he will do in either a single-back set or from the “I”. Complicating matters is that, again from the college offense he came from, we can assume that both his receiving & pass-blocking skills are limited. The other candidates are complimentrary backs that don’t offer what the offense needs. An injury to Mendy would be too much to ask the offense to overcome, making us the predictable passing offense we were trying to get away from.

FA Solution: Sign Jamaal Lewis. Like Owens, Lewis is a veteran that can digest a playbook & would run hard, knowing how to play in the AFC North. Lewis might be motivated to play for a playoff contender & would know that Mendy is the long-term answer.

Trade Solution: Target Marshawn Lynch (BUF) – Lynch has fallen out of favor with Bills brass, but he has starting experience & a skill set seemingly perfect for the Steelers. He’s a physical runner who still had 28 receptions last year.
Lynch Contract = 2010: $885,000, 2011: $1.14 million, 2012: $1.14 million (Voidable Year)

3. Heath Miller – Imagine the Steelers offense without the “most underrated TE in the NFL”...not pretty. Heath has been essentially the #2-B receiver on the team while Santonio was here & now stands to be even more essential to the offense as the unproven Wallace steps into the #2 WR role. Heath enjoyed a break-out season last year as Arians finally started using him as a weapon & not just Ben’s security blanket when things start breaking down. This is besides the fact that he can also hold the POA in the running game. To illustrate how critical he is, consider that his back-up Matt Spaeth only had 5 catches last season & is considered a liability as a blocker, while David Johnson - the 3rd TE - is actually a better blocker but is a non-threat in the passing game. For this offense to be effective, the starting TE needs to have about 32 to 48 catches for the season – something Spaeth & Johnson just don’t seem capable of.

FA Solution: Sign L.J. Smith. Smith still has some skills but injuries have cut down his effectiveness. L.J. has the ability to contribute in the passing game but would likely be less than average in the run game.

Trade Solution: Target Greg Olsen (CHI) or Will Heller (DET) – Olsen seems on the outs in the Bears new Mike Martz offense & Heller is probably the 3rd TE behind Pettigrew & Scheffler, despite 29 catches last season. Two different options here as Olsen is more of a threat in the passing game, while Heller is much stronger in the running game.
Olsen Contract = 2010: $550,000 (+ $140,000 reporting bonus), 2011: $650,000 (+ $125,732 reporting bonus)
Heller Contract = 3/8/2010: Signed a three-year, $3.95 million contract.

4. Ike Taylor – This has been somewhat mitigated by the re-acquisition of McFadden, but should still be huge concern for the team. Ike routinely shadows the best WR on the opposing team & while he had a down year last season, he’s still the best we have by far. McFadden is a solid #2 CB, but the combination of him & William Gay as the starting CBs isn’t going to scare anyone. The one reason why I have Ike’s loss listed lower is that the team has some talent to draw from in either Keenan Lewis or Joe Burnett (whom I have high hopes for).

FA Solution: Go after RFA Richard Marshall. Marshall is an above average player that the Panthers are trying to get on the cheap.

Trade Solution: Target Rashean Mathis (JAX) – Surprisingly Mathis may be had as the Jags think they have his replacement in Derek Cox & they are still a couple of years off before seriously challenging. Mathis is due $3.95 million in 2010 & $4.45 million in 2011.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-14-2010, 10:44 PM
With mini-camps getting underway soon & threads about who makes the team cropping up, I began to appreciate how we are well-prepared to deal with Ben’s suspension from a personnel standpoint. Each of the candidates has their pluses & minuses - in Leftwich we have a veteran with a great arm & familiarity with our offense but with a lumbering pocket-presence that might get him killed behind our line; with Dixon we’ve got another live-armed QB, who’s a tremendous athlete in the Vince Young mold but lacks game experience; & we have Charlie Batch, who can help these two with diagnosing the offense from a former starter’s perspective. But I realized that we really don’t enjoy that same depth at other positions – as we experienced last year with the loss of Troy & Aaron.

So I got to thinking…what other players, if they were to go down, would cause the most calamity on the team? And what resulting moves would or could be made to address it? Would they go with who’s already here or would they go outside the organization via trades or FA signings? While I’ll rank them in my order of importance, that’s more a reflection of the holes the team would be in if that player went down & not necessarily a ranking of important players. For example, while Casey, Woodley & Harrison are all critical, we have a number of capable alternatives to deal with their loss. Troy still is the most dynamic player & the most irreplaceable, but I think that if they lost him again this season that they'd be more prepared than they were last year. Here it goes...

1. Hines Ward – This is a real possibility as Ward continues to deal with hamstring issues. Age & wear were already considerations, but if the hamstring were to severely limit him or some other injury take him out – then what would we do? Losing Hines would change the entire offense because of inexperience or age. Mike Wallace would become our #1 WR in his first year starting, when we have no idea as to how he’s going to handle ascending to Santonio’s spot & for the #2, we have a host of has-beens & haven’t-proved-anything WRs sliding up into spots they are ill-equipped to man. The next best candidate - ARE - is not #2 quality anymore & Battle is a special-teamer & possible #4 at this juncture of his career. The other WRs are a collection of undersized rookies & UDFA players who can’t be trusted to step up at this juncture. Perhaps if Sweed hadn’t gone down I’d feel more at ease, but with his injury & Santonio’s trade, a serious injury to Hines would be the most devastating & the playoffs wouldn’t be likely.

FA Solution: Sign Terrell Owens. Being a veteran Owens can digest a playbook & knows how to get open. He still has some speed, commands respect from a defense & is deceptively physical.

Trade Solution: Target Jordy Nelson (GB) or Louis Murphy (OAK) – building for the future as both are young, have decent size & wouldn’t command too much.

2. Reshard Mendenhall – If Mendy goes down we have no proven “bell-cow” RB to replace him & with the renewed emphasis on the running game that would be over. Looking who’s behind him, there’s one veteran - Melwelde Moore - & a host of unproven players. Moore is a nice change-of-pace RB but not a #1 on any offense & we saw his running production really take step back last season. There will be some to point to the newly drafted RB Dwyer as a possibility – especially since RB is the easiest position to step into as a rookie – but with his coming from Ga Tech’s triple-option, we don’t know how he will do in either a single-back set or from the “I”. Complicating matters is that, again from the college offense he came from, we can assume that both his receiving & pass-blocking skills are limited. The other candidates are complimentrary backs that don’t offer what the offense needs. An injury to Mendy would be too much to ask the offense to overcome, making us the predictable passing offense we were trying to get away from.

FA Solution: Sign Jamaal Lewis. Like Owens, Lewis is a veteran that can digest a playbook & would run hard, knowing how to play in the AFC North. Lewis might be motivated to play for a playoff contender & would know that Mendy is the long-term answer.

Trade Solution: Target Marshawn Lynch (BUF) – Lynch has fallen out of favor with Bills brass, but he has starting experience & a skill set seemingly perfect for the Steelers. He’s a physical runner who still had 28 receptions last year.
Lynch Contract = 2010: $885,000, 2011: $1.14 million, 2012: $1.14 million (Voidable Year)

3. Heath Miller – Imagine the Steelers offense without the “most underrated TE in the NFL”...not pretty. Heath has been essentially the #2-B receiver on the team while Santonio was here & now stands to be even more essential to the offense as the unproven Wallace steps into the #2 WR role. Heath enjoyed a break-out season last year as Arians finally started using him as a weapon & not just Ben’s security blanket when things start breaking down. This is besides the fact that he can also hold the POA in the running game. To illustrate how critical he is, consider that his back-up Matt Spaeth only had 5 catches last season & is considered a liability as a blocker, while David Johnson - the 3rd TE - is actually a better blocker but is a non-threat in the passing game. For this offense to be effective, the starting TE needs to have about 32 to 48 catches for the season – something Spaeth & Johnson just don’t seem capable of.

FA Solution: Sign L.J. Smith. Smith still has some skills but injuries have cut down his effectiveness. L.J. has the ability to contribute in the passing game but would likely be less than average in the run game.

Trade Solution: Target Greg Olsen (CHI) or Will Heller (DET) – Olsen seems on the outs in the Bears new Mike Martz offense & Heller is probably the 3rd TE behind Pettigrew & Scheffler, despite 29 catches last season. Two different options here as Olsen is more of a threat in the passing game, while Heller is much stronger in the running game.
Olsen Contract = 2010: $550,000 (+ $140,000 reporting bonus), 2011: $650,000 (+ $125,732 reporting bonus)
Heller Contract = 3/8/2010: Signed a three-year, $3.95 million contract.

4. Ike Taylor – This has been somewhat mitigated by the re-acquisition of McFadden, but should still be huge concern for the team. Ike routinely shadows the best WR on the opposing team & while he had a down year last season, he’s still the best we have by far. McFadden is a solid #2 CB, but the combination of him & William Gay as the starting CBs isn’t going to scare anyone. The one reason why I have Ike’s loss listed lower is that the team has some talent to draw from in either Keenan Lewis or Joe Burnett (whom I have high hopes for).

FA Solution: Go after RFA Richard Marshall. Marshall is an above average player that the Panthers are trying to get on the cheap.

Trade Solution: Target Rashean Mathis (JAX) – Surprisingly Mathis may be had as the Jags think they have his replacement in Derek Cox & they are still a couple of years off before seriously challenging. Mathis is due $3.95 million in 2010 & $4.45 million in 2011.

Very nice post, steel life, lots of good points. And, after I vomited a bit when I read about T.O., I had to admit even that made some sense. He's probably mellowed out, not the same headline grabber of the past. Watching him play down here on the Cowboys, he does have a tendency to drop the ball a lot ... at some point a few seasons ago had more drops than any other receiver.

Can't remember - who is he playing for now?

plainnasty
05-15-2010, 05:53 PM
The Steelers will NEVER bring in TO.

That's where I stopped reading.

SteelerNation1
05-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Nice post SL. If Ike goes down, we may be ok at CB depending on who steps up---Burnett? Lewis? Gay? Butler? lots of youth there. I love the depth on the DL too. That went from a HUGE question mark to a potential strength in 2 offseasons.

The Man of Steel
05-15-2010, 09:03 PM
FA Solution: Sign Terrell Owens.
:wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft :wft

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-15-2010, 10:27 PM

He's got me thinking about it (can't remember if it's this thread or another one where I talk about it). I think TO "behaved" last year in Buffalo. I think Coach Tomlin, Hines, and probably even Ben would make sure he "behaved" if he were in Pgh. The question is - is he still a deep threat that would help if Hines went down?

hawaiiansteel
05-15-2010, 11:27 PM

He's got me thinking about it (can't remember if it's this thread or another one where I talk about it). I think TO "behaved" last year in Buffalo. I think Coach Tomlin, Hines, and probably even Ben would make sure he "behaved" if he were in Pgh. The question is - is he still a deep threat that would help if Hines went down?

and therein lies the real problem with TO now - for all the possible distractions he brings, his on-field production and speed have decreased to the point where he's just not worth it anymore.

i would rather give that playing time to Emmanuel Sanders and let him gain experience.

Stewie
05-16-2010, 04:46 PM
TO? N-E-V-E-R!!!! Jamaal Lewis??? There comes a time in every running backs career when they start to tiptoe, and Jamaal has reached that point.

Steel Life
05-16-2010, 08:13 PM

and therein lies the real problem with TO now - for all the possible distractions he brings, his on-field production and speed have decreased to the point where he's just not worth it anymore.

i would rather give that playing time to Emmanuel Sanders and let him gain experience.
The decision over what to do is the premise of the thread. What I'm pointing out is that we have insufficient depth at certain key spots on the team. Let me put it another way, when considering each situation I've pointed out - are you content to go with the guys we have & willing to lose another year of a Super Bowl window for this group of players? Taking the Hines situation for instance - I merely looked at what was out there & of the veterans WRs that are available, TO is the most attractive by far & may be the only one that could keep us on a playoff run if Hines went down. However if the team was able to secure a #1 quality WR via trade, then that makes the FA route unnecessary. Look at it from a GM's perspective & think about what should be done.

Interesting that no one has really said anything about the other spots...

RuthlessBurgher
05-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Last November (before he was placed on injured reserve), Jamal Lewis announced that he planned to retire after the 2009, so I assume that he is through with football.

Steel Life
05-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Last November (before he was placed on injured reserve), Jamal Lewis announced that he planned to retire after the 2009, so I assume that he is through with football.
You're right, he did. But in another interview he indicated he was sick of the losing situation in Cleveland & might have another go 'round. But let's say he's done, who would you look to next?...Justin Fargas? Chris Brown?...or do you wait for a salary cap casualty? There's a myriad of ways it could go, I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were.

Discipline of Steel
05-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Im probably most worried about safety where, if either starter went down, our only depth is the unproven starter Will Allen and the proven unstarter in Ryan Mundy. But hey, maybe Tomlin likes what he sees in Mundy, I dont know...

frankthetank1
05-17-2010, 10:02 AM
You're right, he did. But in another interview he indicated he was sick of the losing situation in Cleveland & might have another go 'round. But let's say he's done, who would you look to next?...Justin Fargas? Chris Brown?...or do you wait for a salary cap casualty? There's a myriad of ways it could go, I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were.

i love justin fargas!! the guy is so underrated. i would take him over chris brown or jamal lewis any day. also i dont think the bears are going to part with greg olson any time soon. he also has a huge contract. if heath gets hurt this season and misses time we will be in some serious trouble.

phillyesq
05-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Im probably most worried about safety where, if either starter went down, our only depth is the unproven starter Will Allen and the proven unstarter in Ryan Mundy. But hey, maybe Tomlin likes what he sees in Mundy, I dont know...

I agree that an injury at either safety spot, especially to Troy, would be the biggest blow to the team.

In addition to those listed in the original post, I'd also be very worried about an injury to Starks. Scott (from Buffalo, not the draft pick), has played some LT in the past, as has Essex, but I'd be very worried about either of them having to log any significant time at the position.

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2010, 10:22 AM

i love justin fargas!! the guy is so underrated. i would take him over chris brown or jamal lewis any day. also i dont think the bears are going to part with greg olson any time soon. he also has a huge contract. if heath gets hurt this season and misses time we will be in some serious trouble.

I just think it is awesome that his Dad was Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch. :lol:

http://charlieschinderwolf.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/huggy-bear3.jpg