PDA

View Full Version : Why Dont The Steelers...

Dee Dub
05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
...make a play for Cowboys unhappy WR Roy Williams? It's getting pretty obvious that he is starting to stir things up in Cowboy Land about not wanting to play second fiddle to anyone (Dez Bryant). I think a conditional future round pick could persuade the Cowboys to free themselves of the future headache.

Why not? A couple of years ago Williams was an 80 reception-1300 yard receiver . And that was while playing for the lowly Lions who didnt have the QB the Steelers have.

Oviedo
05-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Roy Williams = Large Contract plus mediocre performance

Jom112
05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Why not? A couple of years ago Williams was an 80 reception-1300 yard receiver . And that was while playing for the lowly Lions who didnt have the QB the Steelers have.

Mike Martz was the OC though. Kitna that year threw for 4,200+ yards. The numbers that year for Roy should be taken with a grain of salt...

flippy
05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Too big a contract for a possession receiver with bad hands. We've already got a ton of possession receivers.

I'd rather see us get a deep threat besides Wallace. And I'd be ok if it was a TE.

Shawn
05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm happy with our crew. If you can't make it work with Ward, Wallace, Miller and ARE then I don't know what to say.

phillyesq
05-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Roy Williams = Large Contract plus mediocre performance

And lets not forget the questionable attitude!

frankthetank1
05-14-2010, 04:09 PM
no thanks. maybe for cheap money but not for his current contract

williar
05-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I would love adding a big receiver like Roy Williams to help with the void created by the loss of Homes. However, I surely don't expect the cowboys or any other team to foolishly give away their star wr like the steelers did.

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
I would love adding a big receiver like Roy Williams to help with the void created by the loss of Homes. However, I surely don't expect the cowboys or any other team to foolishly give away their star wr like the steelers did.

Star WR? Dude had 19 catches for 198 yards in 10 games with the Cowboys in 2008, then 38 catches for 596 yards in 15 games with the Cowboys in 2009.

The only thing foolish was the Cowboys giving up 1st, 3rd, and 6th round picks for this guy, then giving him a six-year, $54 million contract with $26.6 million guaranteed. The undrafted Miles Austin is light years ahead of this guy.

Steelerphile
05-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I think people are giving up on the talent the Steelers have in camp prematurely. Wallace will step up. ARE has returned and I'm not sure how many realize that Arnaz Battle is more than credible. I like the reports on the their draftees Sanders and Brown. I think the Steelers potentially will cut a receiver who can play and will play in the NFL.

DrCalculus
05-14-2010, 08:45 PM
If they decide they want a big receiver who can actually make a play or two, TO is still out there and for considerably less money than Roid Williams.

And I guess I am in the camp that Owens gets way too much bad publicity over just being an attention whore. He got a bad rap for calling out his QBs when he wasn't getting the ball -- and actually, I want the receiver to have that attitude. I want a fighter and I want someone who doesn't take it well when he has a bad game. I'm pretty sure Ben would (1) look for him often if he was a Steeler and (2) be able to deal with TO whining to reporters about not getting the ball if he wasn't, since it would pale in comparison to the press he's been receiving lately.

The issue, though, is that I am sure the FO has decided they will proceed with the WR they have and use the lack of a big play threat, coupled with Ben's suspension, as further reasoning to revert back to a run-centered offense, especially now that they might have the horses to pull it off with Mendenhall no longer a question mark and Dwyer and Summers to back him up.

Djfan
05-14-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure I want TO, but the idea of Ben throwing to him is intriguing.

hawaiiansteel
05-15-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure I want TO, but the idea of Ben throwing to him is intriguing.

Ben could then be TO's new QB...leave TO's QB alone!

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object2/598/20/n8353517711_2402.jpg

Sugar
05-15-2010, 02:57 AM
I'd rather have TO than Williams. Hopefully, we're OK but I don't think ARE or Battle will be anything to write home about.

frankthetank1
05-15-2010, 10:37 AM
i think we are fine at wr. we have a better wr corps then we did in 2005. ben was only in his second year and he didnt need any star wr's except for hines. the first four games might be a different story but once ben gets back we will be fine at WR. a great qb doesnt need great wr's. it helps but its not a neccesity

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2010, 04:46 PM
If they decide they want a big receiver who can actually make a play or two, TO is still out there and for considerably less money than Roid Williams.

And I guess I am in the camp that Owens gets way too much bad publicity over just being an attention whore. He got a bad rap for calling out his QBs when he wasn't getting the ball -- and actually, I want the receiver to have that attitude. I want a fighter and I want someone who doesn't take it well when he has a bad game. I'm pretty sure Ben would (1) look for him often if he was a Steeler and (2) be able to deal with TO whining to reporters about not getting the ball if he wasn't, since it would pale in comparison to the press he's been receiving lately.

The issue, though, is that I am sure the FO has decided they will proceed with the WR they have and use the lack of a big play threat, coupled with Ben's suspension, as further reasoning to revert back to a run-centered offense, especially now that they might have the horses to pull it off with Mendenhall no longer a question mark and Dwyer and Summers to back him up.

Lack of a big play threat? We have a guy who averaged 19.4 yards per catch (led the league among guys who caught more than 12 balls last season), and averaged 1 TD for every 6.5 catches.

http://sportschump.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/mike-wallace-catch-pittsburgh-steelers.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I'd rather have TO than Williams. Hopefully, we're OK but I don't think ARE or Battle will be anything to write home about.

You don't want Randle El to be a starter (Dan Snyder finally realized that he wasn't worth the huge investment that he paid to get him), but he is ideal as a #3 WR. He flourished in that role the last time he was here, and there is no reason to think he could not do it again (dude had over 50 catches each of the last 3 seasons).

Battle was brought over primarily for his special teams abilities (our new ST coach Al Everest was his ST coach in San Fran), and Battle was a demon on coverage units for Everest, and we could certainly use major help there. If he is also needed as a #4 or #5 WR, he at least has shown that he is a competant NFL WR (two seasons with 50-something catches for 600-something yards).

Between the consistent greatness of Hines, the up-and-coming big play ability of Wallace, two experienced veteran back-ups in Randle El and Battle, and two potentially promising rookies in Sanders and Brown, I think we are more than set at WR for this season.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-15-2010, 05:12 PM
T.O. still a free agent? Can't get past the wondering how he would do here. I'd guess he's got the locker room heebie-jeebies out of his system at his age (don't recall reading much about that coming out of Buffalo this past year). Hines isn't likely to last 16 games, to state the obvious.

Once teams key on Wallace, he will have more down to earth numbers, I'd guess. It'd be nice to have a big guy to keep the heat off him.

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2010, 05:29 PM
T.O. still a free agent? Can't get past the wondering how he would do here. I'd guess he's got the locker room heebie-jeebies out of his system at his age (don't recall reading much about that coming out of Buffalo this past year). Hines isn't likely to last 16 games, to state the obvious.

Once teams key on Wallace, he will have more down to earth numbers, I'd guess. It'd be nice to have a big guy to keep the heat off him.

Hines missed 3 games in 2007, 2 games in 2006, and 1 game in 2005. He played in all 16 games in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009. That's 186 out of a possible 192 regular season games since he entered the league. Why is it obvious that he isn't likely to last 16 games this year?

Sure, it's possible he misses games since he is dealing with hamstring issues this offseason, but I doubt that his hammies will keep him out of games unless he goes out and tears one of them. So what if he is a bit slower with age and wear & tear...he was never a burner to begin with. Hines is a warrior. I trust that he'll be there for us when we need him.

And if he happens to miss a few games, I like the mix of back-up options we have (two experience vets who have multiple 50 catch seasons on their resumes and a couple of rookies with potential). Plus, Mendenhall is a better dump-off option than Parker ever was, and Heath is coming off a career year with 76 catches for 789 yards and 6 TD's.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Hines missed 3 games in 2007, 2 games in 2006, and 1 game in 2005. He played in all 16 games in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009. That's 186 out of a possible 192 regular season games since he entered the league. Why is it obvious that he isn't likely to last 16 games this year?

Sure, it's possible he misses games since he is dealing with hamstring issues this offseason, but I doubt that his hammies will keep him out of games unless he goes out and tears one of them. So what if he is a bit slower with age and wear & tear...he was never a burner to begin with. Hines is a warrior. I trust that he'll be there for us when we need him.

And if he happens to miss a few games, I like the mix of back-up options we have (two experience vets who have multiple 50 catch seasons on their resumes and a couple of rookies with potential). Plus, Mendenhall is a better dump-off option than Parker ever was, and Heath is coming off a career year with 76 catches for 789 yards and 6 TD's.

Well, first of all, no disrespect intended to Hines or his fans! As it turns out, I've only got 1 jersey, and it has #86 on it. I picked it for his personal characteristics - hard work, overachievement, selflessness - as much as for his talent. I got it with my son, and it was great opportunity to give a lesson in character.

Beyond that - his hammies are what I'm talking about as well. Like in XLIII, he may be on the field hurt, but it's not the same. Plus, his style of play - BRUISER!! - is probably a predictor that his aging body is going to force him to sit more this year. Just my 2c, but I don't think it's too early to start thinking about those things. I like our people behind him too, but someone who can stretch the field sure opens up a lot of passes to Hines or Heath, etc. Maybe we've already got that in Wallace, and if he burns it up at TC and the beginning of the season, woo-hoo :tt2 :tt1 .