PDA

View Full Version : Scout's Inc: Pouncey is a Pro Bowler in the making

PSU_dropout43
05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

The selection of Maurkice Pouncey in the first round of the NFL draft last month was an excellent one for the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is exactly what this offensive line needs and has true star potential.

Pittsburgh’s offensive line is often criticized, but I believe that RT Willie Colon and LG Chris Kemoeatu are up-and-coming players. In fact, I would put Colon firmly among the top six or seven right tackles in the league and I feel like the arrow is going up on his career. At left tackle, Max Starks is somewhat inconsistent, but he is serviceable and you certainly could do much worse. With these three players, the Steelers’ line is one Pro Bowl-caliber player away from being vastly improved in both the run and passing games and among the top 50 percent of lines in the NFL -- maybe better. Pouncey is that potential Pro Bowler.

Pouncey, 20, is a very young player, the rare interior offensive lineman who leaves college with eligibility remaining. He will naturally add good weight and strength as he physically matures. Pouncey already has the bulk and length to compete with the very stout interior linemen he will face in the AFC North. He moves his feet well and is an improving technician who also is quite adept at making line calls. He is beginning his career at right guard, but I see him quickly taking over as the Steelers’ starting center, where he rightfully belongs.

Incumbent center Justin Hartwig played through injury for much of the 2009 season, but to me, he was far and away the biggest liability in the starting five. Even when Hartwig is completely healthy, he isn’t nearly the physical specimen Pouncey is. While Hartwig is a liability, Pouncey could become a true asset who makes his guards and teammates around him better, much as best center in the league, Nick Mangold, does for the Jets.

When Pouncey does assert himself as the starting center, which I forecast happening sooner than later, that leaves only the right guard position in flux. Pittsburgh isn’t loaded with premier prospects at right guard, but asking Trai Essex, Kraig Urbik, Ramon Foster or Chris Scott to establish himself as a legitimate starting guard doesn’t seem too far fetched.

The Steelers surely will be transitioning to more of a running team -- and with more overall physicality on offense than in recent memory. Adding Pouncey will make that much more feasible while still improving the pass protection.

Oviedo
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I still doubt Pouncey is the starting RG in Game 1. He will get worked in sometime later in the season.

SteelerNation1
05-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Nice read. The key to this line is going to be the RG position, assuming Pouncey takes over at C at some pt this year. Like the article said Urbik, Scott, Foster, or Essex need to step up and grab the spot. Then, if you lock up Colon, we'll be set at OL for a while it would seem.

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I still doubt Pouncey is the starting RG in Game 1. He will get worked in sometime later in the season.

It's hard enough for a rookie to start, but for him to be a 20 year old rookie on top of it...

We brought in Timmons and Mendenhall as 20 year olds, and neither of them really started constributing much until the middle of their second seasons.

I'm hoping that Foster or Urbik have progressed enough in their second seasons to leapfrog Essex, sending Trai back to his usual role as a backup swing G/T on gameday.

flippy
05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Sounds a little premature. Hope he's right though.

birtikidis
05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Sounds a little premature. Hope he's right though.
saying anything about a rookie at this time is premature...
I do think the author is wrong about one thing though... if pouncey is playing center, our RG position is a weakness.... I mean, i've been talking Urbik up just cause i hope he can play.. but, we need someone to step up there.

Oviedo
05-13-2010, 11:15 AM

It's hard enough for a rookie to start, but for him to be a 20 year old rookie on top of it...

We brought in Timmons and Mendenhall as 20 year olds, and neither of them really started constributing much until the middle of their second seasons.

I'm hoping that Foster or Urbik have progressed enough in their second seasons to leapfrog Essex, sending Trai back to his usual role as a backup swing G/T on gameday.

My point exactly. Pouncey is a couple of years age wise and physically younger than many other OL coming out in the draft. We will need to show some patience or we could just call him a "bust" now :stirpot

Shawn
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Pouncey is the most starter ready first round selection we have drafted this decade. It would not shock me at all if Pouncey was starter from day 1.

flippy
05-13-2010, 11:28 AM

My point exactly. Pouncey is a couple of years age wise and physically younger than many other OL coming out in the draft. We will need to show some patience or we could just call him a "bust" now :stirpot

He's probably not done growing either. He could make Casey look tiny in a year or so. Anyone think he could get too big to play center?

SteelAbility
05-13-2010, 11:32 AM
As a matter of fact, let's just take Pouncey straight to the HOF while we're at it. :P

Slapstick
05-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Injuries cut short the production of both Mendenhall and Timmons in their rookie seasons...

Please God, don't allow Pouncey to follow suit...

flippy
05-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Injuries cut short the production of both Mendenhall and Timmons in their rookie seasons...

wonder if younger guys are more injury prone in general? or this was just bad luck?

Slapstick
05-13-2010, 12:00 PM

wonder if younger guys are more injury prone in general? or this was just bad luck?[/quote]

Bad luck...

Mendenhall had a freak injury...IIRC, Charlie Batch had the same thing happen to him a few years ago...

Same thing with Timmons groin injury...Heath Miller had a similar injury in college...as did Duce Staley before he came to Pittsburgh...

Weird crap just happens sometimes...

phillyesq
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM

I agree. I can see him taking over as the starter perhaps against the Browns after the bye week.

Last year, I though Urbik would be the guy who would take over as the starter at RG mid-year. This year, I think it will be Pouncey.

Shawn
05-13-2010, 12:46 PM

I agree. I can see him taking over as the starter perhaps against the Browns after the bye week.

Last year, I though Urbik would be the guy who would take over as the starter at RG mid-year. This year, I think it will be Pouncey.

From a physiciality stand point no one can start over Pouncey. It will come down to how quickly he learns to reads and O. Fro my understanding despite the guys questionable wonderlic he is a sponge when it comes to football learning. I say he will start day 1.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Age really shouldn't play a factor. Football intelligence trumps age everytime on the OL. We saw Urbik struggle while Foster absorbed everything. Pouncey has sound technique, plays with leverage, has good hands, and good feet. They talk about his football intelligence being impressive. If it is...Everthing else is there. I think he is the starter at RG game 1. I also think that his play at C will put the Steelers in a very difficult position. Keeping Hartwig around another year will push a young interior OL with promise off the 53. I expect Koogs to have Legursky, Foster, and Urbik pushing the bar and Hartwig is an obstacle. If they don't want a rookie at C...I truley feel this OL is better with Legursky at C for this year over Hartwig. Better for the future too because Hartwig is on his way out. If they keep Hartwig...Legursky or Urbik might be the odd man out.

flippy
05-13-2010, 01:09 PM
We could put Pouncey at Center for the 1st 4 games and see how it goes without risking the health of our franchise QB. Might be worth considering.

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Pouncey is the most starter ready first round selection we have drafted this decade. It would not shock me at all if Pouncey was starter from day 1.

Pouncey is the only first round selection we have drafted this decade (2010). :stirpot :wink:

birtikidis
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Pouncey is the only first round selection we have drafted this decade (2010). :stirpot :wink:
does that mean that we have no where to go but down frm here?

Shawn
05-13-2010, 01:37 PM

Boo... :lol: You got me there. :D

hawaiiansteel
05-13-2010, 02:54 PM

this decade ran from 2001-2010 and the next decade runs from 2011-2020, so technically Pouncey is the 10th first round selection we have drafted this decade. :D

Shawn
05-13-2010, 03:12 PM

this decade ran from 2001-2010 and the next decade runs from 2011-2020, so technically Pouncey is the 10th first round selection we have drafted this decade. :D

ooooooo :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Yeah, I get your "we started with year 1, not year 0" thing you got going there.

But I say the decade we refer to as the Sixties lasted from 1960-1969, not 1961-1970, the decade we refer to as the Seventies lasted from 1970-1979, not 1971-1980, the decade we refer to as the Eighties lasted from 1980-1989, not 1981-1990, the decade we refer to as the Ninties lasted from 1990-1999, not 1991-2000, the decade we refer to as the Aughts (I suppose) lasted from 2000-2009, not 2001-2010, and the decade we will refer to as the Teens (I guess it wouldn't officially considered to be Teens until 2013, but you get the idea) should last from 2010-2019, not 2011-2020.

As for the most starter ready guys of this past decade :wink: , a 13-0 record from Roethlisberger is hard to argue with (and many thought he would need plenty of time to adjust from the MAC to the NFL). Heath Miller and Casey Hampton would also be in the conversation.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-13-2010, 03:29 PM

While this is true, both Timmons and Mendenhall had starters entrenched in front of them.

Timmons was asked to change positions from day one since he came from a 4-3 system. On top of that, the linebacking corps was very solid with Harrison, Farrior, and Foote already there. The only possible opening would have been Haggans' spot, and fellow rookie Woodley was the much better fit there playing the strong side. Add to that the fact that Timmons was only a one year starter at FSU and it is no wonder that it took him some time to find a starting role.

Mendenhall was drafted to play behind a solid starter in Fast Willie. There was not much hope for him to be the starter his first year. As age and skill went in the opposite direction for Parker, an opening was created. But looking back, he was not drafted to be a day one starter.

Now we find our latest 20 year old first rounder. He has played both C and RG, and those two positions happen to be two of the weakest starters on this team. Pouncey is coming from a big time school, played against lots of big fat guys, and played in big games. His biggest adjustment will be when he is asked to direct snap.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
We could put Pouncey at Center for the 1st 4 games and see how it goes without risking the health of our franchise QB. Might be worth considering.

Interesting angle. He could get his feet wet (since we assume the O will be more run oriented during BB suspension) and be ready to go when BB returns. I feel the only thing that will be a concern of the Steelers is Pouncey recognizing pre-snap & calling out assignments. Won't be able to simulate that through the pre-season until game 3, if at all.

Can a raw Pouncey be any more of a liabilty than Hartwig? So the difference is Pouncey blows an assignment or call & someone has a free run on the QB? Wait...That happened when Hartwig was in there. I would bet that the amount of times Hartwig will get run over or through would still be more than the amount of times Pouncey would make a mistake. Even if you throw in Legursky at C because of the experience in the offense...Nobody can't tell me it wouldn't be as good (Or bad) as the offense with Hartwig in the middle. I hope Pouncey, Legursky, and Urbik show enough in camp for the Steelers to move forward with the youth movement and let Hartwig go.

Oviedo
05-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Interesting angle. He could get his feet wet (since we assume the O will be more run oriented during BB suspension) and be ready to go when BB returns. I feel the only thing that will be a concern of the Steelers is Pouncey recognizing pre-snap & calling out assignments. Won't be able to simulate that through the pre-season until game 3, if at all.

Can a raw Pouncey be any more of a liabilty than Hartwig? So the difference is Pouncey blows an assignment or call & someone has a free run on the QB? Wait...That happened when Hartwig was in there. I would bet that the amount of times Hartwig will get run over or through would still be more than the amount of times Pouncey would make a mistake. Even if you throw in Legursky at C because of the experience in the offense...Nobody can't tell me it wouldn't be as good (Or bad) as the offense with Hartwig in the middle. I hope Pouncey, Legursky, and Urbik show enough in camp for the Steelers to move forward with the youth movement and let Hartwig go.

IMO either Hartwig or Legursky will be the odd men out heading into the season. I hope it is the former and Legursky can wrestle the job from him. As I have said before the long term solution is Pouncey at C and Urbik at RG.

Shawn
05-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Great points TO.

hawaiiansteel
05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
IMO either Hartwig or Legursky will be the odd men out heading into the season. I hope it is the former and Legursky can wrestle the job from him. As I have said before the long term solution is Pouncey at C and Urbik at RG.

Urbik is currently running as the 3rd string LG and is not even in the mix at RG...Essex, Pouncey and Foster are ahead of him there. In fact, Urbik is being tried at C right now, what makes you think he is the long-term solution at RG?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-13-2010, 04:08 PM

I'm with you. I feel Legursky could win the job. I also won't rule out Pouncey showing enough to start at C although I believe Legursky beating out Hartwig is a better possibilty given the position. I'm also interested in seeing where Urbik is at. You can see more development in his chest and arms....I think someone took it personal!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Urbik is currently running as the 3rd string LG and is not even in the mix at RG...Essex, Pouncey and Foster are ahead of him there. In fact, Urbik is being tried at C right now, what makes you think he is the long-term solution at RG?

What is the surprise there? Kemo and Essex are the starters and Foster is the 2nd team G with Legursky at the end of the season. Urbik was 3rd team last year and Pouncey & Scott are now in the equation. Urbik is running 2nd team C with Hartwig not practicing while Legursky is playing RG with 2nd team. I think you are reading too much into how they are pairing up. Urbik had 4 Gs ahead of him at the end of the season and Pouncey's draft position immediately slots him ahead. Urbik has no easy task ahead of him.

Maybe the best way to understand it is this. As long as Essex, Foster, & Legursky are on the roster...Urbik will "always" be behind them if he is not the starter. If he plays well at C, he has a shot at overtaking Legursky if he isn't starting. Playing inside & out will dress you on gameday and move you up the depth chart. Pouncey is a talent and light years ahead of Urbik coming out. No surprise if he would be #2 at G in rookie camp, OTA's, and possibly even training camp. He will start at RG by game 3 in the preseason because they will want to see him with the 1st team. I don't expect him to give it up after that.

Oviedo
05-13-2010, 04:57 PM

What is the surprise there? Kemo and Essex are the starters and Foster is the 2nd team G with Legursky at the end of the season. Urbik was 3rd team last year and Pouncey & Scott are now in the equation. Urbik is running 2nd team C with Hartwig not practicing while Legursky is playing RG with 2nd team. I think you are reading too much into how they are pairing up. Urbik had 4 Gs ahead of him at the end of the season and Pouncey's draft position immediately slots him ahead. Urbik has no easy task ahead of him.

Maybe the best way to understand it is this. As long as Essex, Foster, & Legursky are on the roster...Urbik will "always" be behind them if he is not the starter. If he plays well at C, he has a shot at overtaking Legursky if he isn't starting. Playing inside & out will dress you on gameday and move you up the depth chart. Pouncey is a talent and light years ahead of Urbik coming out. No surprise if he would be #2 at G in rookie camp, OTA's, and possibly even training camp. He will start at RG by game 3 in the preseason because they will want to see him with the 1st team. I don't expect him to give it up after that.

I think you need to go into this with an open mind. The old OL caoch and his system is gone. We don't know what Kugler is implementing and how that plays to the strengths of the players at each position. Foster may have been very good at what Coach Z asked them to do but Urbik may be better at what Kugler wants.

The new coach will go into this will no preconceived notions. In reality I think Essex is out at Giard. He was OK but nothing special. Foster was also OK but nothing special. Urbik didn't seem to figure it out. Lots changes in the off season and maybe Urbik did the things he needed to to get better. He definitely looks much bigger and keep in mind that he was one of the top 3 rated Guards coming out in last years draft for a reason.

I think with Kugler at the helm both Center and RG are totally open.

Eddie Spaghetti
05-13-2010, 06:30 PM
umm, Foster played pretty damn well at RG last year, and Urbik as we know was physically overmatched from the very first day of camp. anybody who says he is the long term solution at RG is blowing smoke.

there is NOTHING to suggest that other than him being a 3rd round pick of the steelers , which other than wallace have not panned out lately. he better really show something in camp to even make the team much less entrench himself as a starter.

Flasteel
05-13-2010, 07:30 PM
umm, Foster played pretty damn well at RG last year, and Urbik as we know was physically overmatched from the very first day of camp. anybody who says he is the long term solution at RG is blowing smoke.

there is NOTHING to suggest that other than him being a 3rd round pick of the steelers , which other than wallace have not panned out lately. he better really show something in camp to even make the team much less entrench himself as a starter.

I didn't sit there and grade Foster out, but I can say that he didn't appear to be in any way a liability. That's a lot to be said for an undrafted rookie who is playing next to an injured center, who is at best pedestrian when fully healthy.

That said, Oviedo's point is still very valid. If Urbik is struggling with his assignments in a zone scheme, it can easily cause a slight delay coming out of his stance. This is goint to give any D-tackle with an ounce of quickness, a physical edge. Put him in a man-blocking situation and he could fire out of there like he had rockets on his ass.

It might well turn out to be the case that we eventually start referring to him as Kraig Urkle. But I think that moniker would be premature until he has had a fair shake under the new line coach.

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
It is interesting that Roethlisberger's suspension may actually benefit Pouncey.

In a typical year, if Pouncey's play in the pre-season is reasonably comparable to a veteran's play in the pre-season, the coaches may opt to play the veteran at the beginning of the season to give the rookie more time to learn, then maybe insert the rookie after the bye week, so they have two solid weeks of practice to prepare him for his first start.

However, since everyone expects Ben's suspension to be reduced from 6 games to 4, his first game back would be the Cleveland game following the bye week. Do you think that the team would want to risk inserting a rookie o-lineman for his first start at the same time we get our franchise QB back?

In this unique year, if Pouncey's play in the pre-season is reasonably comparable to a veteran's play in the pre-season, they may opt for Pouncey instead of the vet, so the rook has a month of NFL experience under his belt before the franchise QB gets back.