PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Report

stevenlourie
05-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I spent a lot of time on this and I was hoping to get some feedback/discussion/debate, what do you think?
http://www.footballfanspot.com/pittsburghsteelers.htm

steelblood
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM
A few things...

You have some good information and interesting opinions. I like your point about Pouncey and his draft stock ascension.

You need someone to proofread and edit for grammar and style. If you have a buddy or a girlfriend who excels at the sort of thing, let them take a shot at it.

You claim that the WR from Central Mich isn't much of a receiver. I'm not sure where you get your information, but I've seen this kid play and he has great potential as a slot receiver. He was very productive and can be electric with the ball in his hands. He really has natural hands and can be developed into a good route runner.

stevenlourie
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
A few things...

You have some good information and interesting opinions. I like your point about Pouncey and his draft stock ascension.

You need a someone to proofread and edit for grammar and style. If you have a buddy or a girlfriend who excels at the sort of thing, let them take a shot at it.

You claim that the WR from Central Mich isn't much of a receiver. I'm not sure where you get your information, but I've seen this kid play and he has great potential as a slot receiver. He was very productive and can be electric with the ball in his hands. He really has natural hands and can be developed into a good route runner.

I really do need to proofread. I know. That's one of my "new year's resolutions" with new year meaning new draft season. but, I'm glad you liked my posting.

birtikidis
05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
sorry man, you can tell this is an armchair GM. you have a lot of opinions but little fact.
you knock Pouncey as being a 3rd round pick... I never once heard that. in fact, I heard things like "Pouncey is the best center prospect to come out in 10 years" - Gil Brandt. Look at his production.
but opinions are like A**holes everyone has one.. myself included.

love him or hate them, i'm pulling for all of our picks.

Flasteel
05-09-2010, 10:20 PM
I spent a lot of time on this and I was hoping to get some feedback/discussion/debate, what do you think?
http://www.footballfanspot.com/pittsburghsteelers.htm

Are you kidding me? How could you have possibly spent a lot of time on this and wind up with the opinion that Pouncey was considered a 3rd round prospect in January? The text itself could have been typed in 30 minutes and it's fairly obvious you did very little research. If you watched film on all of these guys, I simply have to question your football background.

Last year Pouncey was a first team All-American, first team All-SEC, Rimington Trophy winner, graded out higher than any interior lineman in the nation, didn't allow a sack or pressure all year, and wasn't flagged for a penalty once. He's tough as nails and very aggressive getting to the second level.

Sorry man, this is easily the worst draft analysis I have seen to date. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, it's just that this is put together very poorly and seems as if it's entirely based on uninformed opinion.

Next time you want to write something up, come here first. Most of the posters here would be glad to offer their opinion in a constructive manner to help you put out something far less horrible.

StarSpangledSteeler
05-10-2010, 03:11 AM
I think you are giving players grades based on hype and pre-draft popularity rather than production and measurables. You cite Pouncey, but the whole pre-draft rating system is based on hype, as dozens upon dozens of players move up and down a value chart without taking a snap since january. Your grades are very similar. I don't understand what methods you are using to evaluate besides your opinion or opinions you've heard other people say. Have you watched film on any of these guys? Have you looked at their game stats? Combine stats? Pro day stats? Their technique in pass rush, run tackling, or coverage? Because we all have. Pittsburgh is the linebacker capitol of the NFL. Our staff recognizes and develops talent at that position better than any team in the NFL and certainly better than Kiper, McShay, and Mayock. Do you honestly consider yourself a good enough judge of talent to speak intelligently on the athletic ability of Worilds, Gibson, and Sylvester in this forum?

steelblood
05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
sorry man, you can tell this is an armchair GM. you have a lot of opinions but little fact.
you knock Pouncey as being a 3rd round pick... I never once heard that. in fact, I heard things like "Pouncey is the best center prospect to come out in 10 years" - Gil Brandt. Look at his production.
but opinions are like A**holes everyone has one.. myself included.

love him or hate them, i'm pulling for all of our picks.

I'm not sure he started as a third round pick either, but in the early pro mocks after he declared, he was usually not in the first round. His draft stock slowly ascended from there. Personally, I think it probably had more to do with the fact that his tape was very strong and hadn't been overanalyzed since some thought he'd go back to Florida.