PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Ben's transgressions could cost Batch

fordfixer
05-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Bires: Ben's transgressions could cost Batch

By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... batch.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/may/05/bires-bens-transgressions-could-cost-batch.html)

Wednesday May 5, 2010 12:11 AM

PITTSBURGH — Lost in all the fallout from Ben Roethlisberger’s suspension is the fate of Charlie Batch.

It may be that because of Roethlisberger’s escapades that Batch may be out of a job in October.

Think about it.

When Roethlisberger returns from his suspension — whether it’s six games or if it’s reduced to four as expected — the Steelers could have four quarterbacks on their roster. That’s one too many.

So one will have to go.

And who might be the unlucky QB who’s told his services are no longer needed?

Even though there was speculation before the NFL Draft that Roethlisberger might be traded, he wasn’t. So he’s staying despite his seedy reputation.

If the season-opener were played today, Byron Leftwich would be the starter. He was a solid backup to Roethlisberger in 2008, and was acquired the moment the Steelers caught wind of the severity of Roethlisberger’s suspension.

Last weekend at minicamp, coach Mike Tomlin quickly put Leftwich in with the first-team offense. So it makes sense that Leftwich, 30, will be here for the long haul.

Running the second-team offense at minicamp was third-year pro Dennis Dixon.

He’s still a project, but the Steelers like his progress and potential. So he’s not going anywhere.

That means that Batch, who’s 35 and injury prone, will eventually have to go, even though the Steelers will have to incur the remainder of his 2010 contract.

On one hand, it would be sad to see Batch leave ... especially if it is because of Roethlisberger’s transgressions.

Batch is such a high-character guy.

He does so much for the community, especially in the Homestead area where he was born and attended high school.

Batch oversees the Best of the Batch Foundation, which offers after-school programs and a basketball league for kids in disadvantaged communities.

On April 14 when Dan Rooney, the Steelers chairman emeritus and the U.S. ambassador to Ireland, received the AFL-CIO Citizen of the Year award, he refused comment regarding Roethlisberger. But Rooney did have high praise for Batch.

“I think players have to be special. I think we have a special man right here with Charlie, as far as what he does, what his foundation does for children in this community,” Rooney said. “I think that that’s the way they should be.”

Over the past six years, Roethlisberger and Batch have forged a close relationship.

But now, Roethlisberger may be the guy who ends Batch’s pro career.

A lot could happen between now and the Oct. 17 game against Cleveland, a game Roethlisberger may be allowed to play in.

Injuries happen, even in the preseason. Just ask Batch, who missed the entire 2004 and 2008 seasons due to injury.

But if all the Steeler quarterbacks stay healthy, that will eventually spell doom for one of them ... and it will likely be Charlie Batch who’ll be odd man out.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2010, 12:08 AM
That means that Batch, who’s 35 and injury prone, will eventually have to go, even though the Steelers will have to incur the remainder of his 2010 contract.

They only have to pay his contract if he is on the team for the first week. Personally, I don't think Batch even makes it out of training camp. I think the team will make it through the first month without Ben with just Leftwich and Dixon. For an emergency 3rd QB, they have 3 guys who started games at QB for their college teams (Antwaan Randle El at Indiana, Arnaz Battle at Notre Dame, and Hines Ward at Georgia), plus Heath Miller was a starting QB in high school (not that it would ever come down to your 6th option in a game, but still). If Leftwich or Dixon got seriously hurt in September, they could always call Batch back off the street if they needed to (I don't see another team plucking him off the waiver wire when final cuts are announced). Sorry, Charlie. It was fun while it lasted.

StarSpangledSteeler
05-07-2010, 04:04 AM

They only have to pay his contract if he is on the team for the first week. Personally, I don't think Batch even makes it out of training camp. I think the team will make it through the first month without Ben with just Leftwich and Dixon. For an emergency 3rd QB, they have 3 guys who started games at QB for their college teams (Antwaan Randle El at Indiana, Arnaz Battle at Notre Dame, and Hines Ward at Georgia), plus Heath Miller was a starting QB in high school (not that it would ever come down to your 6th option in a game, but still). If Leftwich or Dixon got seriously hurt in September, they could always call Batch back off the street if they needed to (I don't see another team plucking him off the waiver wire when final cuts are announced). Sorry, Charlie. It was fun while it lasted.

Amen. I hope the FO is thinking along these lines b/c we NEED the extra roster spot, especially on OL or WR.

Pahn711
05-07-2010, 04:22 AM
On one hand, it would be sad to see Batch leave ... especially if it is because of Roethlisberger’s transgressions.

Batch is such a high-character guy.

:roll:

This is a business, not a charity. Batch will get an opportunity to prove he still belongs, if he doesn't, then bye bye. Blaming this on Ben's situation is just lame.

I remember the media was saying Batch was the odd man some years ago as well: the Steelers had Ben as an emerging star, Tommy Maddox as an indespensible veteran, and Brian St. Pierre as a development project. Then Batch went into the final preseason game against Carolina and threw a long touchdown pass to win the game in the final minute. He went on not only to make the team, but he eventually became the top backup to Ben, not too shabby.

I'm not saying its going to be easy considering his age and the competition involved, but Batch has an opportunity, if he doesn't capitalize, he only has himself to blame.

The Man of Steel
05-07-2010, 04:47 AM
I like Batch as a person but not as our QB which sort of makes him the polar opposite of Ben in my book.

kagefury
05-07-2010, 06:57 AM
Batch will be ok...when he does leave the team he's pretty much guarantied a job on a sports radio station. My money is on 93.7 the Fan.

Oviedo
05-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Batch is a great guy but he has been done as a football player for a couple of years now. His value on the roster is sideline mentor not on field general.

Time for Charlie to move on. He would be great on local radio or in a front office position with the team. Don't be surprised if a future run in politics is on Charlie's "bucket list." He has the rep. He has the community relations resume and support. He would be a shoo in.

SidSmythe
05-07-2010, 09:47 AM
BATCH will be hurt by the 3rd preseason game so this whole discussion is useless :lol:

Sugar
05-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Ben is NOT ending Charlie's career. If Ben hadn't gotten in trouble, there's a good chance that Charlie wouldn't even be around at all. Charlie should be thanking Ben if anything! 8)

frankthetank1
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I like Batch as a person but not as our QB which sort of makes him the polar opposite of Ben in my book.

i feel the same. batch is the bizzaro ben i guess

aggiebones
05-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I agree to the sentiment that Batch wouldn't have been on the roster if Ben was here. They would have likely gone back to 2 QBs. They may cut Batch and also retain him as an assistant of some sort. He's due to retire soon, so if he could linger around the clubhouse a bit longer, he might get a few more paychecks. If Dixon or Leftwich get hurt, he'll be brought back. He'll be a Steeler this season for sure in some capacity.

RussBII
05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Batch will be ok...when he does leave the team he's pretty much guarantied a job on a sports radio station. My money is on 93.7 the Fan.

Wait? 93.7 is sports talk Radio? What happened to B94!?

is WDVE still around?

skyhawk
05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
No worries guys. He will be gone this year and the re-signed next year :lol:

kagefury
05-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Wait? 93.7 is sports talk Radio? What happened to B94!?

is WDVE still around?

B94 got tired of competing with 96.1 so they just called it quits...they have some top hits slash variety station on 100.7 now in it's place. Then they made 93.7 a sports talk radio station. http://937thefan.cbslocal.com/

WDVE is still alive and kicking. And on a side note Charlie Batch does show up on the morning show from time to time...

Steel Life
05-07-2010, 07:19 PM
First, Batch has nothing to complain about...he's been well compensated for his time here - especially if you consider he's barely played the last two seasons.

Second, I hope the Batch doesn't go the radio route...I hope he is offered the position for the Steelers' community affairs or player development. He's obviously a natural & seems like he'd be a good guy to help with the team out in public or steer the rookies onto a better path.

Regardless, I appreciate what's he's done...but hope he's never needed.

NJ-STEELER
05-08-2010, 12:06 AM

why do you like batch as a person and not ben?

SS Laser
05-08-2010, 12:34 AM

Yea why? Did Batch not have some sexual misconduct at some point? (allegedly?)

Not sure if that was just BS or not. Can not find any info????

NorthCoast
05-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Ben is not ending Batch's days as a QB, ... age is...

NJ-STEELER
05-08-2010, 04:24 PM
[quote=Yinzerdude]I like Batch as a person but not as our QB which sort of makes him the polar opposite of Ben in my book.

Yea why? Did Batch not have some sexual misconduct at some point? (allegedly?)

Not sure if that was just BS or not. Can not find any info????[/quote:2mq3qvwk]

actually yeah, he along with 3 other men were accused of gang raping a woman in vegas over the course of 2 days.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/spo ... _accu.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/2001/12/21/2001-12-21_dedric__batch__2_others_accu.html)

feltdizz
05-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I think it's foul to bring up Batches incident... He hasn't been in any trouble since then. What purpose does it serve bringing up that incident? Whether it's LT, Kobe or the Colts player... none of it helps Bens situation.

Age and injuries are Batches nemesis...

NJ-STEELER
05-09-2010, 02:58 PM
why?
shouldn't we hold everyone to the same standard?

why do some want ben ridden out of town before he has a chance to prove himself
like the ole yinzer himself charlie did

feltdizz
05-09-2010, 05:28 PM
why?
shouldn't we hold everyone to the same standard?

why do some want ben ridden out of town before he has a chance to prove himself
like the ole yinzer himself charlie did

Batch wasn't even a Steeler when his problem happened. I don't see what his incident has to do with Ben. If Batch was a Steeler and had 2 incidents in a year he would be gone... hell, anyone besides Ben would be out of town on the first thing smoking.

NJ-STEELER
05-09-2010, 09:33 PM
so when the old man referred to batch as a 'good human' or whatever he said

did he mean only since batch has put on a pittsburgh uniform

if we're gonna convict and form opinions from allegations alone, then we should do so for every player.

why would he even go sign this guy if the steeler organization has its own set of "morals and standards"