PDA

View Full Version : Is Tomlin coaching for his job?

PSU_dropout43
05-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Q: Ed...Still no rumblings of a Colbert and/or Tomlin extension?

Ed Bouchette: As I wrote on PG Plus this morning, I've heard nothing and I'm not sure they will even do an extension with Mike Tomlin this year.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10124/10 ... z0n7VgDK2n (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10124/1055472-66.stm#ixzz0n7VgDK2n)

HeHateMe
05-06-2010, 12:27 AM
If the Steelers fire him he wont be unemployed long.

WoodleyofTroy
05-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Ask me this question in about 10 years.

HeHateMe
05-06-2010, 12:32 AM
That's the wrong answer. Steeler Fans dont want to hear that crap.

Shawn
05-06-2010, 01:58 AM
If Tomlin misses the playoffs for the second year in a row you never know. But, I highly doubt it.

hawaiiansteel
05-06-2010, 02:36 AM
If Tomlin misses the playoffs for the second year in a row you never know. But, I highly doubt it.

not the Rooneys style. love him or hate him, Tomlin is here to stay for many years yet.

Bruce Arians, on the other hand... :stirpot

Oviedo
05-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Tomlin will get minimum 8-10 years and like it was said he will have another job immediately.

proudpittsburgher
05-06-2010, 09:50 AM
That's the wrong answer. Steeler Fans dont want to hear that crap.

Keep tossing those blanket statements. :moon

SteelerNation1
05-06-2010, 09:55 AM
No

papillon
05-06-2010, 10:11 AM
No, I hope that helps. :P

Pappy

frankthetank1
05-06-2010, 10:31 AM

not the Rooneys style. love him or hate him, Tomlin is here to stay for many years yet.

i think you are right. BA is probably the only coach on the staff that is coaching for his job

Oviedo
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM

i think you are right. BA is probably the only coach on the staff that is coaching for his job

You're probably right. No way Ben has the status in the organization anymore to "put in a good word" for BA.

BA has a real challenge in front of him with the step back the WR corps has taken. Hopefully he is smart enough to use the TE and RBs even more.

Chucktownsteeler
05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I hope he coaches like his job depends on it!

I am not sold on Tomlin, yet.

I do agree we should not extend BA after this season.

Chucktown

Mister Pittsburgh
05-06-2010, 11:51 AM
The Steelers are just aligning themselves to not have to pay anyone during the lockout.

NW Steeler
05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I would be very surprised if the Rooney's were even considering letting Tomlin go. I think the best is yet to come with Tomlin.

flippy
05-06-2010, 11:59 AM
The Steelers are just aligning themselves to not have to pay anyone during the lockout.

I think they're waiting to see what happens here.

I hope it backfires on them when Tomlin wins his 2nd Lombardi amidst all this drama.

Iron Shiek
05-06-2010, 01:35 PM
In the words of the venerable sn1 and papillon...."no".

PSU_dropout43
05-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Well, when you come in as a defensive backfield guru, your defensive backfield gets worse every year you are head coach, you speak about all kinds of crap that never happens, you defend a moron OC(because you don't think you can hire better), your special teams sucks, etc. you should count your lucky stars to have Dick Lebeau and Colbert. Oh, and pray every night to thank the Rooney rule, affirmative action and all the other outcry to promote blacks and minorities, whether they deserve it or not.

yes, he wont be unemployed long.

frankthetank1
05-07-2010, 01:29 PM

Well, when you come in as a defensive backfield guru, your defensive backfield gets worse every year you are head coach, you speak about all kinds of crap that never happens, you defend a moron OC(because you don't think you can hire better), your special teams sucks, etc. you should count your lucky stars to have bad word Lebeau and Colbert. Oh, and pray every night to thank the Rooney rule, affirmative action and all the other outcry to promote blacks and minorities, whether they deserve it or not.

why would mike tomlin care about the rooney rule? even if it wasnt in affect the steelers still would of hired tomlin. the rule is you have to interview at least one coach that is black not you have to hire a black coach. no secondary can stay at an elite level forever. it is an aging defense and they didnt even have troy last season, thats not tomlin's fault. it doesnt matter because they addressed both st's and the secondary in the draft. we should see a big improvement.

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2010, 03:12 PM

Well, when you come in as a defensive backfield guru, your defensive backfield gets worse every year you are head coach, you speak about all kinds of crap that never happens, you defend a moron OC(because you don't think you can hire better), your special teams sucks, etc. you should count your lucky stars to have bad word Lebeau and Colbert. Oh, and pray every night to thank the Rooney rule, affirmative action and all the other outcry to promote blacks and minorities, whether they deserve it or not.

why would mike tomlin care about the rooney rule? even if it wasnt in affect the steelers still would of hired tomlin. the rule is you have to interview at least one coach that is black not you have to hire a black coach. no secondary can stay at an elite level forever. it is an aging defense and they didnt even have troy last season, thats not tomlin's fault. it doesnt matter because they addressed both st's and the secondary in the draft. we should see a big improvement.

They didn't have to even interview a black coach. Just had to interview at least one minority coach, which they already did when they brought in Ron Rivera before Tomlin. This whole "Mike Tomlin was only hired because of the Rooney Rule" rigamarole is absurd and played out. And the "He only won because of Cowher's players" schpiel is equally ridiculous.

Oviedo
05-07-2010, 03:50 PM
All the Tomlin-haters just won't give it up. Keep on wishing for about another 6 years.

frankthetank1
05-07-2010, 11:46 PM

They didn't have to even interview a black coach. Just had to interview at least one minority coach, which they already did when they brought in Ron Rivera before Tomlin. This whole "Mike Tomlin was only hired because of the Rooney Rule" rigamarole is absurd and played out. And the "He only won because of Cowher's players" schpiel is equally ridiculous.

i never knew they brought ron rivera in for an interview. i guess tomlin has to win another super bowl to prove he is a worthy coach, although im sure some people will still hate on coach T :roll:

NorthCoast
05-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Some of this may be true but it is not like he has not tried to do something about the problems, unlike his predecessor. The ST coach is gone, the OL coach is gone. The coaches obviously believe the way to fix the DBs is to fix the pass rush. Hence the plethora of speedy LBs drafted in the last two years. It worked in 2008, I think it will work again once the right mix of players are on the field.

Northern_Blitz
05-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Well, when you come in as a defensive backfield guru...

I don't thikn Tomlin came inas a DB guru. He was a DB coach, but I think that he was hired because he's an excellent motivator. I think the Steelers kept the mould of BC who was more of a motivator than an X & Os guy.

eniparadoxgma
05-09-2010, 01:49 AM
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6329/1255642707907.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/i/1255642707907.jpg/)

:)

Captain Lemming
05-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Well, when you come in as a defensive backfield guru, your defensive backfield gets worse every year you are head coach.

Cowhers last season pass defense was 20th

The very next season Tomlin had the same crew at number THREE. Seventeen spots improvement over Cowher as a ROOKIE HEAD COACH.

Now to expose your LIE Tomlin IMPROVED his third ranked pass defense to number ONE. Yes Tomlins pass defense did NOT get worse every year

Has Cowher EVER had a NUMBER ONE PASS DEFENSE? NO.

Cowher's best ranking WAS NUMBER THREE.
1994 with Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Willie Williams, Darrin Perry
Backed by Deon Figures and Myron Bell

Woodson. Arguably the BEST corner IN HISTORY. Lake. A SAFETY who was good enough in coverage to be an EXCELLENT corner. Wiiliams a pretty good second corner. super savvy Perry. Yet our pass defense under Cowher was NEVER as good as Tomlins was in YEAR TWO.

Number one pass defense is nothing new to Tomlin. At Tampa, Tomlin was secondary coach to the best pass defense IN THE NFL in the over 30 years since the Mel Blount rule made secondary play more difficult.

The best secondary performance in the SB EVER was directly coached by Tomlin. Not near the talent that Cowher has had.

Last season we lose half our starting 2008 secondary, including our best DB, and pass defense is still top 10 (9th). Tell me, do you think we had top ten quality talent in the secondary? 9th is still EIGHT POINTS higher than the rank of the team Tomlin inherited.

Clearly in order for him to prove his worth Tomlins secondary can never drop from number one or else it is "getting worse".

His predecessor has never dropped from number one is pass defense becasuse HE HAS NEVER HAD A NUMBER ONE PASS DEFENSE. Despite MUCH GREATER talent in the secondary.

The whole "Rooney rule"dig reveals your real agenda.

The Rooneys DONT NEED THE ROONEY RULE BECAUSE THEY ALREADY BELEIVED IN INTERVIEWING MINORITIES. They did it when they hired Cowher. The "interview is all that is required.

In Tomlins second year he has coached the best Steeler pass defense in over three decades, better than any without a corner named Blount, better than 15 season of Cowher.

Took all of TWO SEASONS to go from number 20 to number one, a better defense than Cowher HAS EVER HAD and you are critical of the man for pass defense?

You can criticize Tomlin for many things. But to rip him for a pass defense that has dropped ONCE as a clear result of huge player loses, and act like it is a pattern is ridiculous.

Just tell us you will never like Tomlin, and it has nothing to do with the game.

MeetJoeGreene
05-10-2010, 11:26 AM

That is an interesting thought.

Shawn
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I think Tomlin is still young and learning. I do think he is a good coach. With that said, I wonder about his eye for draft talent a bit. But, I admit I don't have alot to go on. While I like Timmons...he isn't what we are used to in the first. Plays more like a second round talent. Now, we ignore Lee and draft Worilds (underachieving)...then Gibson (who is not a Steeler type of OLB no matter what people say...hates contact). Yes, I know too early to tell and I hope I'm wrong.

hawaiiansteel
05-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I think Tomlin is still young and learning. I do think he is a good coach. With that said, I wonder about his eye for draft talent a bit. But, I admit I don't have alot to go on. While I like Timmons...he isn't what we are used to in the first. Plays more like a second round talent. Now, we ignore Lee and draft Worilds (underachieving)...then Gibson (who is not a Steeler type of OLB no matter what people say...hates contact). Yes, I know too early to tell and I hope I'm wrong.

the Steelers should not be allowed to draft players with the last name of Gibson in the 4th round ever again! they are all busts... :D
http://espn.go.com/media/ncf/2002/0914/photo/a_gibson_i.jpg
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/21/217727.jpghttp://lionfirerealestate.com/images/ThadPoster.gif

SS Laser
05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Mr. Lemming great write up! I don't care how much kool aid you drink! That was a great post!

Shawn
05-10-2010, 10:52 PM

the Steelers should not be allowed to draft players with the last name of Gibson in the 4th round ever again! they are all busts... :D
http://espn.go.com/media/ncf/2002/0914/photo/a_gibson_i.jpg
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/21/217727.jpghttp://lionfirerealestate.com/images/ThadPoster.gif

More like Thadeus Whackimus. Ok...bad joke. I really hope I'm wrong about him. The dude is really great in space. But Harrison needs to snap him up and show him what Steeler tough is all about. I grew weary of watching him play for the Bucks.

Oviedo
05-11-2010, 08:01 AM

I think the Lee versus Worilds is apples and oranges. Lee is an ILB and Worilds is an OLB. We needed OLB depth and talent not ILB. We have solid back ups in Fox and Foote on the inside. We have nothing on the outside plus we have Harrison only getting 2 sacks in the last 8 games plus Woodley up for a new contract in a totally unknown CBA environment. Worilds was the right pick over Lee for this off season given the factors involved.

Time will tell but IMO Worilds has much more upside than Lee. Lee will be another Larry Foote and probably not anymore. Worilds could be much more of an impact player. Same with Gibson.

Jim Wexell in his notes sums it up perfectly for me

I donít understand the local dust-up about Sean Lee, the inside linebacker the Steelers passed over in the second round. Donít get me wrong, Iíve considered Lee to be a better linebacker than his former college teammates Paul Posluszny and Dan Connor. But I just couldnít get him out of the third round after watching Ohio State push him around the field last season.

If Leeís knee was the problem against the Buckeyes, his kneeís going to be a problem against the Ravens, too.

After watching junior Jason Worilds in the Chick-fil-A Bowl and then in the combine, and then hearing about his great Pro Day workout at Virginia Tech, I thought he might get picked in the bottom of the first round. After Brandon Graham and Jerry Hughes, I thought Worilds was the best 3-4 edge rusher in the draft.

ANPSTEEL
05-11-2010, 08:50 AM
There are a few interesting aspects to this whole situation...

1. as has been pointed out- Tomlin & staff (not sure if it includes all coaches) are not working on new contracts. Does the impending lock out have anything to do with that??
It wouldn't completely surprise me if the team is trying to minimize expenses during a pending lock out season. Also, using that as an "excuse"- maybe this is a way to let Tomlin go- if they really don't want to extend him.

2. The team really fell apart in the middle of last season. Losing to a handful of bad teams; games which they had no business losing. Of course this losing streak was exacerbated by the poor quality of competition they were losing to, and Tomlin's ridiculous remarks made in the media- about finding a way to re-group. Most notably the "we are going to unleash hell." ... This comment was followed up by a further uninspired performance, and loss to another crummy team. Leading many to suggest, maybe Tomlin should have had the players unleash "extra special hell". Anyone who understands the Rooneys, knows this had to annoy the "hell" out of them.

As insinuated by ARII at the end of the season, if the team had not come together to win the last three games of the season, I think we are having a very different conversation. One which would quite possibly go like this..."So, what do you think of the new head coach we hired?"

3. Whether coincidence or indication of locker room control- the team has had a number or embarrassing off field incidents under Mike Tomlin's tenure. Ben's most recent incident topping them all. Normally, this might be seen as a completely unrelated component- but in this case, coupled with the losing streak, it may combine to emphasize the lack of leadership- or respect given to Tomlin by his players. I can not help but think that the Rooneys, like many of us fans, have had the thought- "This probably wouldn't happen with Cowher in the locker room." Meaning, BC seemingly ran the ship with much tighter control.

In the end- I think all of these components are weighing against Mike Tomlin.

I do not think the team is inclined to get rid of him after only 4 seasons, it is not the Rooneys' nature, - but given all of the issues- they are definitely in a "wait and see" mode. If Mike Tomlin is not extended prior to the season- we can only speculate, that yes, in fact he is coaching for his job.

Oviedo
05-11-2010, 09:50 AM

1. as has been pointed out- Tomlin & staff (not sure if it includes all coaches) are not working on new contracts. Does the impending lock out have anything to do with that??
It wouldn't completely surprise me if the team is trying to minimize expenses during a pending lock out season. Also, using that as an "excuse"- maybe this is a way to let Tomlin go- if they really don't want to extend him.

2. The team really fell apart in the middle of last season. Losing to a handful of bad teams; games which they had no business losing. Of course this losing streak was exacerbated by the poor quality of competition they were losing to, and Tomlin's ridiculous remarks made in the media- about finding a way to re-group. Most notably the "we are going to unleash hell." ... This comment was followed up by a further uninspired performance, and loss to another crummy team. Leading many to suggest, maybe Tomlin should have had the players unleash "extra special hell". Anyone who understands the Rooneys, knows this had to annoy the "hell" out of them.

As insinuated by ARII at the end of the season, if the team had not come together to win the last three games of the season, I think we are having a very different conversation. One which would quite possibly go like this..."So, what do you think of the new head coach we hired?"

3. Whether coincidence or indication of locker room control- the team has had a number or embarrassing off field incidents under Mike Tomlin's tenure. Ben's most recent incident topping them all. Normally, this might be seen as a completely unrelated component- but in this case, coupled with the losing streak, it may combine to emphasize the lack of leadership- or respect given to Tomlin by his players. I can not help but think that the Rooneys, like many of us fans, have had the thought- "This probably wouldn't happen with Cowher in the locker room." Meaning, BC seemingly ran the ship with much tighter control.

I do not think the team is inclined to get rid of him after only 4 seasons, it is not the Rooneys' nature, - but given all of the issues- they are definitely in a "wait and see" mode. If Mike Tomlin is not extended prior to the season- we can only speculate, that yes, in fact he is coaching for his job.

I couldn't disagree more. The Rooney's don't play the coaching carousel game. It would be a major loss for this franchise to lose a young talented coach like Tomlin. The Rooney's get to make that call so whatever they want to do but they have had a model that has worked for 40 years and that is get the coach you like and stick with him through the good and bad and the good will usually outweigh the bad.

If Tomlin is let go he will have a job in about a millisecond so it is a no lose situation for him.

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2010, 10:16 AM
The "this probably wouldn't happen with Cowher in the locker room" argument is complete and utter garbage. Under Cowher's watch, Bam Morris was caught with 4 kilos of marijuana and a gram of cocaine as well. Under Noll's watch, Ernie Holmes opened fire on a police helicopter. Under Tomlin's watch, Ben Roethlisberger wanted to get busy with a drunk coed in a bar bathroom. One of these things is not like the others...

ANPSTEEL
05-11-2010, 10:20 AM

I couldn't disagree more. The Rooney's don't play the coaching carousel game. It would be a major loss for this franchise to lose a young talented coach like Tomlin. The Rooney's get to make that call so whatever they want to do but they have had a model that has worked for 40 years and that is get the coach you like and stick with him through the good and bad and the good will usually outweigh the bad.

If Tomlin is let go he will have a job in about a millisecond so it is a no lose situation for him.

Ovi- I'm not sure you took away the message I intended.

Are you suggesting- that if the team plays poorly- whether with or without Ben, and the locker room continues to spiral down- that the Rooneys would blindly re-sign Tomlin, after the season?

I think the team is almost certain to hold Mike Tomlin and the coaching staff to a degree of accountability. Accountability in respect to performance, and behavior. Just as the league has held the team accountable in respect to Ben's behavior (the team was fined $200k by the league)- the team will hold the coaching staff accountable.

How this accountability is handed out remains to be seen.

I don't think they want to get rid of him.

I really believe the FO wants Mike Tomlin to succeed. It is in everyone's best interest, but there is no way you could convince me that - -if he remains without an extension, past the beginning of the season- that he is not coaching for his job.

To disagree would suggest that

The team could play like crap.
The locker room could spiral out of control.
More off field incidents could come up.

And yet, still, you think they would re-sign him??

Not a chance, imo.

flippy
05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Another point to consider is the management style of Art II versus Dan. We could become a team that's run a little differently under the younger Rooney.

ANPSTEEL
05-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Another point to consider is the management style of Art II versus Dan. We could become a team that's run a little differently under the younger Rooney.

Also, don't forget that we have about a half dozen new owners.

flippy
05-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I wonder how much freedom the Rooneys have versus how much input the new money has.

steelz09
05-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Depending on how this season plays out, I think it's very possible that Tomlin could be coaching for his job.

ANPSTEEL
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Yeah, I wonder how much freedom the Rooneys have versus how much input the new money has.

That is an interesting question.

By my understanding & math calculations...

The non-controlling ownership has 64% stake in the team. This includes the 10% that the McGinleys now own.

see wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh ... estructure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers#Ownership_restructure)

I should think 64% of anything would get you a lot of influence if it were voting the same way.

eniparadoxgma
05-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Depending on how this season plays out, I think it's very possible that Tomlin could be coaching for his job.

The reason I posted the .jpeg earlier in this thread is because I didn't see the premise as being remotely close to a realistic scenario. Apparently I'm one of the only people that feels that way.

My opinion is that unless we go 1-15 this season and Tomlin punches Rooney II in the face while wiping his ass with a Terrible Towel he's not going anywhere.

Not sure why people would even think this. We're not the typical knee jerk reaction having type of organization. We...you know...won the SuperBowl two seasons ago...etc etc.

Why would we get rid of him?

Oviedo
05-11-2010, 02:51 PM

The reason I posted the .jpeg earlier in this thread is because I didn't see the premise as being remotely close to a realistic scenario. Apparently I'm one of the only people that feels that way.

My opinion is that unless we go 1-15 this season and Tomlin punches Rooney II in the face while wiping his bad word with a Terrible Towel he's not going anywhere.

Not sure why people would even think this. We're not the typical knee jerk reaction having type of organization. We...you know...won the SuperBowl two seasons ago...etc etc.

:Agree

If it Art II's approach to get rid of a good young coach 2 years after winning the Super Bowl then we have bigger problems moving forward than any of us know.

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2010, 03:21 PM

My opinion is that unless we go 1-15 this season and Tomlin punches Rooney II in the face while wiping his bad word with a Terrible Towel he's not going anywhere.

I seriously cannot think of any reason that does not boil down to certain melanin-deficient individuals being unwilling to accept a melanin-proficient individual leading their favorite football team.

The way some people talk about him, you'd think we just went 6-10, 4-12, and 7-9 instead of 10-6, 12-4, and 9-7, with our 6th Super Bowl victory 15 months ago.

Oviedo
05-11-2010, 03:38 PM

I seriously cannot think of any reason that does not boil down to certain melanin-deficient individuals being unwilling to accept a melanin-proficient individual leading their favorite football team.

The way some people talk about him, you'd think we just went 6-10, 4-12, and 7-9 instead of 10-6, 12-4, and 9-7, with our 6th Super Bowl victory 15 months ago.

You hit the nail on the head. Some never accepted the hiring and look for every excuse they can to find a reason to find fault and suggest Tomlin will be sent out of town.

You stated the records and like I said if getting rid of a coach with that performance is an example of Art II's management approach then we will be the Oakland Raiders within 5 years.

ANPSTEEL
05-11-2010, 05:02 PM

You hit the nail on the head. Some never accepted the hiring and look for every excuse they can to find a reason to find fault and suggest Tomlin will be sent out of town.

You stated the records and like I said if getting rid of a coach with that performance is an example of Art II's management approach then we will be the Oakland Raiders within 5 years.

If you guys are trying to pin the racist label on me- you are waaaaay off target.

Clearly, you either did not read what I posted- or are not comprehending it.

ARII, himself, indicated that had the team not won the last 3 games last season- we'd be having a much different off season. Does that mean the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator??? I don't know- but it was a warning.

Now- add all the other factors into the equation.

I did not say that they want to get rid of him, or that I want him gone.

I said that - IF Tomlin goes into this season - without an extension, in the last year of his contract- so he becomes in effect a "lame duck coach"...

I would pretty much promise you- he is coaching for his job. There is almost no other way to look at it. Other than his last season- Bill Cowher never went into the last year of his contract without it being renegotiated- prior to the final year.

If you can give me a logical response supporting a different position- outside of - that is not how the Rooneys do things... I'm willing to listen.

But the, that is how the Rooneys operate position, actually supports my claim.

If he wasn't coaching for his job- he'd already have the extension. (again, assuming he is not extended prior to the beginning of the season.)

feltdizz
05-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Tomlin always said he was cheap labor... Maybe the Rooneys are trying to low ball Tomlin or the pending lockout has something to do with it.

Who knows but one thing I do know is the Rooneys never dump a HC... but they also never give big contracts or bring back old players.

I have no idea but I doubt Tomlin is on the chopping block.

eniparadoxgma
05-11-2010, 08:22 PM
If you guys are trying to pin the racist label on me- you are waaaaay off target.

Clearly, you either did not read what I posted- or are not comprehending it.

ARII, himself, indicated that had the team not won the last 3 games last season- we'd be having a much different off season. Does that mean the Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator??? I don't know- but it was a warning.

Now- add all the other factors into the equation.

I did not say that they want to get rid of him, or that I want him gone.

I said that - IF Tomlin goes into this season - without an extension, in the last year of his contract- so he becomes in effect a "lame duck coach"...

I would pretty much promise you- he is coaching for his job. There is almost no other way to look at it. Other than his last season- Bill Cowher never went into the last year of his contract without it being renegotiated- prior to the final year.

If you can give me a logical response supporting a different position- outside of - that is not how the Rooneys do things... I'm willing to listen.

But the, that is how the Rooneys operate position, actually supports my claim.

If he wasn't coaching for his job- he'd already have the extension. (again, assuming he is not extended prior to the beginning of the season.)

Why would he be coaching for his job other than the fact that he hasn't gotten an extension yet?

You're quick to shoot down the "the Rooneys don't operate that way" argument.

I'm quick to shoot down the "he hasn't gotten an extension yet so something must be up" argument.

My point is that Tomlin has done nothing worthy of having to "coach for his job". He has, on the other hand, did a lot to assure that he wouldn't have to. So, I will reiterate that unless we go 1-15 while he's getting drunk on the sideline and peeing on a Terrible Towel he's going to be our coach next year.

Captain Lemming
05-12-2010, 01:51 AM
I quite clearly implied that race was a motive for one person (he introduced race to the thread) nothing you have said makes me think you are so motivated.

While I have been on the other side of this debate, I can see this as a valid point.

Of course we dont want to be too quick...he still can be resigned.

You are contradicting yourself. His current contract status means nothing as long as he is resigned before the season. So until that time we have no real basis to make an assumption.

ANPSTEEL
05-12-2010, 09:24 AM
You are contradicting yourself. His current contract status means nothing as long as he is resigned before the season. So until that time we have no real basis to make an assumption.

No, I wasn't contradicting myself at all.

This goes back to - reading what I posted.

I said:

IF Mike Tomlin does not receive a contract extension prior to the beginning of this season (meaning first actual game) then- he will be coaching for his job.

That was all I said. I gave multiple reasons why I believe this.

I did not say he was going to be fired.

I did not say he sucks.

I did not say I want him gone.

The Rooneys do not negotiate during the season. This has been made clear to be the rule for both players and coaches.

So, IF the head coach does not have an extension by the first game of the season, how can you possibly suggest that his performance during the season will not be reflected by the offer or lack thereof, after the season???

frankthetank1
05-12-2010, 09:26 AM
its very possible that tomlin will get an extension. the season doesnt even start until september and its only may. if it were july or august with no extension i would be concerned but its so early

ANPSTEEL
05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
its very possible that tomlin will get an extension. the season doesnt even start until september and its only may. if it were july or august with no extension i would be concerned but its so early

I don't disagree with this.

I am not unskilled at failing to obfuscate ....

double & triple negative

bring that

:lol: :lol:

:Cheers

Captain Lemming
05-13-2010, 06:33 PM
No, I wasn't contradicting myself at all.

This goes back to - reading what I posted.

I did.

I said:

IF Mike Tomlin does not receive a contract extension prior to the beginning of this season (meaning first actual game) then- he will be coaching for his job.

There is no contradiction in THAT statement. I said This statement is a contradiction:

I deliberately QUOTED that portion as a contradiction.

And it most certainly is a contradiction. The second sentence negates the first.

It is like saying a week after a disaster:
"We havent found your dad under the rubble in over a week, he cannot have have survived (assuming he is not found alive next week)".

It makes no sense.

That was all I said.

Actually, no. I just quoted the part that I disagree with.
The reason why I made an issue of it is that your above contradiction is that the statement "If he wasn't coaching for his job- he'd already have the extension" is simply WRONG it is a definitive statement, and you cannot logically qualify it with an "if" exception.

By doing so you exaggerate the meaning of Tomlins "CURRENT" status. THIS is my point of contention.

I gave multiple reasons why I believe this.

I did not say he was going to be fired.

Did not say you did

I did not say he sucks.

Did not say you did

I did not say I want him gone.

Did not say you did

The Rooneys do not negotiate during the season. This has been made clear to be the rule for both players and coaches.

So, IF the head coach does not have an extension by the first game of the season, how can you possibly suggest that his performance during the season will not be reflected by the offer or lack thereof, after the season???[/quote]

Now look at who is not READING.
This goes back to - reading what "I" posted.
My first response to you after you made this exact same point was:

"While I have been on the other side of this debate, I can see this as a valid point."

You have not commented at all about the line I took issue with and have argued the very point I agreed with you on.

Sugar
05-14-2010, 10:52 AM
An old VP of mine used to say that we re-apply for our jobs everyday. Tomlin has had nothing but winning seasons since being here (so far). Unless there's some other criterion that he is missing the mark on, I find it hard to believe that the Rooney's will do anything other than try to re-sign him (as long as they can afford him).

Oviedo
05-14-2010, 11:11 AM
An old VP of mine used to say that we re-apply for our jobs everyday. Tomlin has had nothing but winning seasons since being here (so far). Unless there's some other criterion that he is missing the mark on, I find it hard to believe that the Rooney's will do anything other than try to re-sign him (as long as they can afford him).

Good advice in any part of your life. I also got the advice "take every opportunity to show why you and not someone else."

pfelix73
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think that one time Cowher signed a new contract during camp..... That's probably when it'll get done. August.

:tt1