PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have doubts at WR with Holmes' departure

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Steelers have doubts at wide receiver with Holmes' departure

Tuesday, May 04, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201005/20100504steelers_500.jpg

To use a hockey phrase, the Steelers are even in the plus-minus column on wide receivers since the day before the NFL draft, plus-2 since free agency began.

They traded Santonio Holmes to the Jets, drafted two wide receivers and lost Limas Sweed, who had surgery Monday to repair an Achilles tendon injury. They signed free agent wide receivers Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle in March.

So, where does that leave them as a group?

"I don't know. We'll see this season," Hines Ward said, then laughed. "Can we do it? Yes. It's to be determined, really. We won a Super Bowl with Randle El, myself and Cedric Wilson. So, it's not like it can't be done."

Those were not ringing words of confidence from the leader of the wide receivers. No one knows how the loss of Holmes will affect the passing game. Sweed did little in his first two seasons so his injury will not have much effect other than the fading hope he would develop into the kind of productive receiver he was at Texas.

Little will be known about the two rookie draft picks, Emmanuel Sanders (third round) and Antonio Brown (sixth), for a while. Sanders could be another Wallace or another Willie Reid, both drafted in the third round.

"It's much too early to tell because no one got hit this weekend," coach Mike Tomlin said at the conclusion of his three-day minicamp. "And that's a pretty big element of the game, particularly from a receiving standpoint. Everyone looks courageous in shorts. But we got plenty of time for that to sort itself out."

Wallace is vital to that process. He led the NFL with a 19.4-yard average per catch his rookie season, when he caught 39 passes for 756 yards and tied for the team lead with six touchdown receptions. He moves into Santonio Holmes' spot as the split end and while many assume his production will rise in his second season and as a starter, more is expected of him as well.

"It's just how defenses see me now will be different," Wallace said. "I have to be ready for that. I've been on the outside the whole time. I'm at a different position now. Now I'm on the backside by myself. It's a little harder, but I'm up for the challenge."

The difference in positions means when the Steelers use three wide receivers, the split end usually is alone on one side with Ward in the slot and another receiver next to him on the outside, Wallace's position last season. Unless one of the rookies comes on quickly, that third receiver won't have the big-play ability of Wallace or Holmes. It means defenses can concentrate on one deep receiver, Wallace.

"A lot of pressure wasn't put on him last year, he just fell into it and had a phenomenal rookie season," Ward said. "I told him he's getting his opportunity and that's all you ever ask for. That's why you come into this league, an opportunity to start and right now he's doing well.

"We have high expectations for him this year. I think we'll be fine. We added El, and Arnaz adds depth, but I really like Mike. He's really come along. The sky's the limit with him. If he can continue to get better each day, I look for big things from him.

Tight end Heath Miller had his most productive season as a receiver, too, catching 76 passes for 789 yards and six touchdowns.

"Heath's a valuable weapon," Ward said. "Of course losing Santonio hurts us depth-wise, but I still think we have some great talent. Mike is still the fastest guy on this team. He's going to blow the coverage off. He's going to make defenses play cover 2, play honest. Heath, myself and Antwaan are pretty good after the catch."

With Battle and possibly one of the rookies, that would give them five wide receivers, their usual number.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10124/10 ... z0mwBndNg4 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10124/1055362-66.stm#ixzz0mwBndNg4)

Oviedo
05-04-2010, 07:46 AM
WR has gone from an area of strength last season to one of concern in one short two month span. Wallace is essentially going to have to make the jump from a #3 to a #1 in his second year. The rest of the WR seem like slot receivers with three over the age of 30 and two rookies.

Whoever is the QB is they had better be looking at our TEs and RBs early and often.

AkronSteel
05-04-2010, 09:35 AM
I actually like our group of WR. Hines will be Hines for at least another year! The guy had a fantastic year last year and I don't see a drop off coming in 2010. Wallace will step up and be exactly what we all saw from him last year. In my opinion his potential is greater than Santonio's and he will show that he is up for the challenge in his 2nd season. I like the fact the ARE is back and will be handling slot duties for the offense. The guy was always good and the only reason he flamed in Washington is because he was overpaid for what he is. I'm really excited to see what the team gets out of the rookies. Personally I really like Antonio Brown! I watch alot of MAC football and the guy was a terror in that league. I have the feeling that he will surprise many of you that don't follow that league too much and show that he is up to the challenge. I anticipate him making the team and contributing as the season goes along. I think the team keeps 6 WR's this year just because Arians likes to use 3 WR sets more often than not.

Hines
Wallace
ARE
Sanders
Battle
Brown

It will be a good group that will contribute to the teams success. Plus we can't forget that Heath will probably get more work in the passing game. I'm sure that Wallace will be able to open things up underneath for Hines and Heath.

:2c

ANPSTEEL
05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
who's going to play outside???

Not Hines- not at this age.

El- nope
Battle- ditto
Sanders- he has the speed, but it is not his natural position. He is used to catching the ball facing the qb.
Brown- nada

so- either the team is praying that they have caught lightning two years in a row- with Sanders, or they are going to have to bring in someone who can play the outside opposite of Wallace.

Oviedo
05-04-2010, 10:13 AM

El- nope
Battle- ditto
Sanders- he has the speed, but it is not his natural position. He is used to catching the ball facing the qb.
Brown- nada

so- either the team is praying that they have caught lightning two years in a row- with Sanders, or they are going to have to bring in someone who can play the outside opposite of Wallace.

Yep! You see the problem clearly. We have one outside guy and a bunch of "slot" guys. With no one to take the attention off of Wallace he is going to draw double coverage every down.

Hines will not be Hines. It is very unlikely he can go for 16 games. He is still dealing with hamstring issues almost 5 months after the last game. That isn't going to get better. I think Hines (and the team) will be very lucky if he gets 60 catches this year and plays in 12 games.

ANPSTEEL
05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Hines will not be Hines. It is very unlikely he can go for 16 games. He is still dealing with hamstring issues almost 5 months after the last game. That isn't going to get better. I think Hines (and the team) will be very lucky if he gets 60 catches this year and plays in 12 games.

This is a bit depressing, but I think you are correct. If Hines is out of the game, El becomes the possesion receiver- which he is anyway. El is not the blocker that Hines is- but is more athletic. I'm not as worried about the back ups at 3 & 4...

but the team has to be scouring the rosters and waivers looking for someone to play outside. I was actually looking to see when Plax gets out- not until early 2011- so he's off.

TO- the team could use him- but please no- the only way I could deal with TO, is if Harrison punched him right in the mellon- 1st day, and TO shut up from there on out.

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't see why T.O would be a problem IF anything his pressence would take some of the attention off of the Ben situation. Who cares if he has a big mouth as long as he performs. I'd rather have a guy with a big mouth instead of the bad pub Ben will draw on the road, that will be a circus. It was utterly embarrasing at the draft. SHE SAID NO, SHE SAID NO! Trust me that will get momentum. Having a T.O. there to take away from that crap is a plus. We NEVER should have gotten rid of Holmes. He was out best wr and I think If we could tolerate one situation we could have tolerated his. They gave up on him way too early. I don't usually question the brass but in this case, they fumbled. He will leave and become a star just like Plax did unfortunately it's for someone else and not us.

MaxAMillion
05-04-2010, 12:20 PM

El- nope
Battle- ditto
Brown- nada

Yep! You see the problem clearly. We have one outside guy and a bunch of "slot" guys. With no one to take the attention off of Wallace he is going to draw double coverage every down.

Agreed, I think it is questionable to count on Hines for a full season going forward. I think the passing game will suffer with the loss of Holmes. Throw in Ben's loss, and the offense will look nothing like last year.

Of course the Ben mess pretty much caused me to give up on this season anyway. I think the Steelers are in rebuilding mode.

Oviedo
05-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I don't see why T.O would be a problem IF anything his pressence would take some of the attention off of the Ben situation. Who cares if he has a big mouth as long as he performs. I'd rather have a guy with a big mouth instead of the bad pub Ben will draw on the road, that will be a circus. It was utterly embarrasing at the draft. SHE SAID NO, SHE SAID NO! Trust me that will get momentum. Having a T.O. there to take away from that crap is a plus. We NEVER should have gotten rid of Holmes. He was out best wr and I think If we could tolerate one situation we could have tolerated his. They gave up on him way too early. I don't usually question the brass but in this case, they fumbled. He will leave and become a star just like Plax did unfortunately it's for someone else and not us.

I think TO coming in for a year to a team that could win him a championship would not be disruptive. It is not to his advantage to be disruptive. It would likely never happen though.

ANPSTEEL
05-04-2010, 12:27 PM

I think TO coming in for a year to a team that could win him a championship would not be disruptive. It is not to his advantage to be disruptive. It would likely never happen though.

particularly at $5mil p/yr- which is what he is rumored to be asking for.

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Two rape allegations is DISRUPTIVE. What T.O does is G Rated compared to that. There are never any police involved etc. All he does is talk candid. He also sells tickets i.e fills seats. Not sold on him on my team though because it gets cold in the burgh and I dont trust his hands. Tone was a stud and I hate that we let him go. Randle El is a BUM and I hate that we went and got him back. I cant believe that Steeler fans are not ADMITTING how much Tone will be missed. That guy made PLAYS.

williar
05-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Agreed! You just don't give away a clutch, superbowl mvp receivers. I'm still pissed about the way they threw Santonio under the bus, trying to make a point. Meanwhile, you still have Ben (the real problem) as the face of the franchise. That drink throwing incident was as bogus as they come and even with the four game suspension, Holmes would not have been given away for just a 5th rounder (still shaking my head).

I know it's a done deal, but it is already coming back to bite us. I know we have a bunch of receivers still on the roster, but the loss of Holmes is significant. You can bet the ravens are still smiling over that one.

SteelerNation1
05-04-2010, 12:33 PM
What T.O does is G Rated compared to that.

Garcia and McNabb would disagree with that.

flippy
05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd like to see Mendy and Moore used together as dual receiving threats out of the backfield.

We could turn this into a dump and run after the catch offense.

This is also the reason we could have used a speedier TE and why I thought Gresham offered the best value at our #18 pick.

Slapstick
05-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Hines Ward is coming off of two consecutive seasons where he played in every game (starting 31 out of 32), caught 80+ passes, had over 1,000 yards receiving and caught at least 6 TDs. Last season was one of his best seasons ever, statistically...and he is still capable of literally breaking jaws on the field...

Why do people think that he won't be able to do it?

ANPSTEEL
05-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Hines Ward is coming off of two consecutive seasons where he played in every game (starting 31 out of 32), caught 80+ passes, had over 1,000 yards receiving and caught at least 6 TDs. Last season was one of his best seasons ever, statistically...and he is still capable of literally breaking jaws on the field...

Hamstring injuries + mid 30s

see: Dermonti Dawson

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM

You look at Garcia and Mcnabbs stats WITH T.O and then look at them WITHOUT T.O.
Tell me what you see. T.O. has had success without BOTH of them. BOTH of their BEST seasons were with T.O. Fact.

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Agreed! You just don't give away a clutch, superbowl mvp receivers. I'm still pissed about the way they threw Santonio under the bus, trying to make a point. Meanwhile, you still have Ben (the real problem) as the face of the franchise. That drink throwing incident was as bogus as they come and even with the four game suspension, Holmes would not have been given away for just a 5th rounder (still shaking my head).

I know it's a done deal, but it is already coming back to bite us. I know we have a bunch of receivers still on the roster, but the loss of Holmes is significant. You can bet the ravens are still smiling over that one.
Yes, Tone was a RAVEN KILLER. I can't believe so many Steeler fans are ok with his departure. We lose our best wr and it fine? Terrible. Lots of Steeler fans hate him because he got the MVP in SB43. They despise him for that.

SteelerNation1
05-04-2010, 01:31 PM

You look at Garcia and Mcnabbs stats WITH T.O and then look at them WITHOUT T.O.
Tell me what you see. T.O. has had success without BOTH of them. BOTH of their BEST seasons were with T.O. Fact.
Yes, that's a fact, but the bigger fact is he shredded both of them on the field and off (media). He tore both teams apart and he has won NOTHING in this league.

SteelerNation1
05-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Lots of Steeler fans hate him because he got the MVP in SB43. They despise him for that.

What? I don't care if Jared Retkofsky was named SB43 MVP...as long as we won the game.

proudpittsburgher
05-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Lots of Steeler fans hate him because he got the MVP in SB43. They despise him for that.

What gives you that idea? I certainly don't remember a lot of Steelers fans hatin on Santonio after that catch. In fact, I think most were in disbelief that all we got for him was a fifth round pick. But when Guys like Santonio do what he did, repeatedly, then do nothing to comply with the team as far as showing you are making strides to get better, or even appologize to the team or its fans, well, you are going to get traded. What Ben did was far worse to this franchise and its fanbase than Santonio smoking pot, but it's how you handle things afterwards. So far, Ben is doing all the right things. If he screws up again, he is gone. Why does it have to be one way or the other with you and the blanket statements?

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 01:37 PM

Yes, that's a fact, but the bigger fact is he shredded both of them on the field and off (media). He tore both teams apart and he has won NOTHING in this league.
He has won nothing because his Qb (mcnabb) choked, got tired, threw up in the SB. WHO was the best player on the field in that SB? It was T.O. Who busted his *ss to get on the field for that game? I would rather have T.O news on my team ANYDAY vs the Roethlisberger press. Sorry.

Snatch98
05-04-2010, 01:37 PM

This is a bit depressing, but I think you are correct. If Hines is out of the game, El becomes the possesion receiver- which he is anyway. El is not the blocker that Hines is- but is more athletic. I'm not as worried about the back ups at 3 & 4...

but the team has to be scouring the rosters and waivers looking for someone to play outside. I was actually looking to see when Plax gets out- not until early 2011- so he's off.

TO- the team could use him- but please no- the only way I could deal with TO, is if Harrison punched him right in the mellon- 1st day, and TO shut up from there on out.

I'm sure that I'm in the minority on this but I don't believe T.O would be an issue on our roster. We have a bunch of really strong personalities and a "family" geared environment. I honestly believe he'd flourish under those conditions and you know he'd love to actually win for a change. A T.O signing for a reasonable contract would be a welcomed addition in my book. He's a workhorse on and off the field. He'd be a monster in our offense, specifically when Big Ben gets back.

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 01:42 PM

What gives you that idea? I certainly don't remember a lot of Steelers fans hatin on Santonio after that catch. In fact, I think most were in disbelief that all we got for him was a fifth round pick. But when Guys like Santonio do what he did, repeatedly, then do nothing to comply with the team as far as showing you are making strides to get better, or even appologize to the team or its fans, well, you are going to get traded. What Ben did was far worse to this franchise and its fanbase than Santonio smoking pot, but it's how you handle things afterwards. So far, Ben is doing all the right things. If he screws up again, he is gone. Why does it have to be one way or the other with you and the blanket statements?
Put up a poll and ask Steeler fans "WHO WAS THE MVP OF SB 43" and see how many votes Tone will get vs how man Ben will get. Don't be naive. You know the pulse of the Steeler Nation after Tone won that award. Who did the worse things Tone or Ben? TELL THE TRUTH AND SHAME THE DEVIL. I think TWO rape allegations trump anything Tone has ever done. Possesion of marijuana? A missed UA? The glass situation? How did that turn out? Tone has done NOTHING close to what Ben has done. What is the biggest story in the HISTORY of the Steeler organization? That would be the situation is Georgia sir. Ben is doing what he HAS to do. Its a FORCE thing not a CHOICE thing. It's like getting credit for going to jail when the judge tells you to go. It's like gettng credit for letting the cops search your home when they flash a search warrant. LIKE YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

SteelerNation1
05-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I would rather have T.O news on my team ANYDAY vs the Roethlisberger press. Sorry.

The current Ben press? Sure. Who wouldn't? But this Ben press was pretty good. You can't discount it.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Sports/images-3/ben-roethlisberger-superbowl.jpg

http://www.steelersonly.com/images/ben_roethlisberger_super_bowl.jpg

frankthetank1
05-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Put up a poll and ask Steeler fans "WHO WAS THE MVP OF SB 43" and see how many votes Tone will get vs how man Ben will get. Don't be naive. You know the pulse of the Steeler Nation after Tone won that award. Who did the worse things Tone or Ben? TELL THE TRUTH AND SHAME THE DEVIL. I think TWO rape allegations trump anything Tone has ever done. Possesion of marijuana? A missed UA? The glass situation? How did that turn out? Tone has done NOTHING close to what Ben has done. What is the biggest story in the HISTORY of the Steeler organization? That would be the situation is Georgia sir. Ben is doing what he HAS to do. Its a FORCE thing not a CHOICE thing. It's like getting credit for going to jail when the judge tells you to go. It's like gettng credit for letting the cops search your home when they flash a search warrant. LIKE YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

every post is about ben. why is that? you should get over your man crush already. was the 20 year old girl in GA your sister or something? i bet in the first 4 weeks when ben isnt even playing all you will post about is ben, even though we wont see him for a month. it will always be about ben with you. im not going to even compare ben's problems with tone because its stupid. tone did drop the first td pass which was perfect. how many qb's have thrown two perfect td passes to win a game? tone was lucky he got the mvp after that imo

papillon
05-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Yes, Tone was a RAVEN KILLER. I can't believe so many Steeler fans are ok with his departure. We lose our best wr and it fine? Terrible. Lots of Steeler fans hate him because he got the MVP in SB43. They despise him for that.

I haven't read where anyone despises Santonio Holmes. The MVP was between two people and they selected Holmes. I have no problem with that at all; I would have been equally satisfied with Ben being named the MVP he played a good game as well.

The Steeler offense is going to miss Holmes there is no way for them not miss him. I wouldn't be surprised if Wallace's production drops off a bit this year as he begins to draw double coverage and the Darrell Revis' of the NFL. Hopefully, he'll adjust and by the end of the year he will understand and be able to handle the duties of being a #1 WR in the NFL. Initially, I see a drop in production.

Holmes' trade wasn't an overnight decision by the front office of the Steelers. He's been working towards this exact moment form the day he was announced as the Steelers draft pick. He's cast a shadow on the NFL logo and the Steeler organization the same as Ben. He's been accused of assaulting the mother of a child they have (dropped by her, but initially filed), he's been accused of assault by a women in a bar (ongoing) and he's been a chronic participant of the police blotter roll call for smoking or possessing marijuana. This most recent incident simply put the Rooneys over the top; Ben deserves the same chances that Holmes was given. (I'm pretty sure that he had other incidents with women in college, but without confirmation those won't make this post.)

I'm fairly certain that Ben is on a short leash with the Rooneys. He will not get any more chances at this point in time, this is his time to make it right or be gone.

Pappy

flippy
05-04-2010, 01:52 PM
El is not the blocker that Hines is

Not sure Pat Williams would agree the time ARE flattened him. ARE gets after his blocks.

Pat Williams = at least 2 times as big as ARE

flippy
05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
We won XL with Cedrick "throw the flagf" Wilson. Mike Wallace is way better than Cedrick Wilson. We'll be fine and win the next SuperBowl.

BURGH86STEEL
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM

I haven't read where anyone despises Santonio Holmes. The MVP was between two people and they selected Holmes. I have no problem with that at all; I would have been equally satisfied with Ben being named the MVP he played a good game as well.

The Steeler offense is going to miss Holmes there is no way for them not miss him. I wouldn't be surprised if Wallace's production drops off a bit this year as he begins to draw double coverage and the Darrell Revis' of the NFL. Hopefully, he'll adjust and by the end of the year he will understand and be able to handle the duties of being a #1 WR in the NFL. Initially, I see a drop in production.

Holmes' trade wasn't an overnight decision by the front office of the Steelers. He's been working towards this exact moment form the day he was announced as the Steelers draft pick. He's cast a shadow on the NFL logo and the Steeler organization the same as Ben. He's been accused of assaulting the mother of a child they have (dropped by her, but initially filed), he's been accused of assault by a women in a bar (ongoing) and he's been a chronic participant of the police blotter roll call for smoking or possessing marijuana. This most recent incident simply put the Rooneys over the top; Ben deserves the same chances that Holmes was given. (I'm pretty sure that he had other incidents with women in college, but without confirmation those won't make this post.)

I'm fairly certain that Ben is on a short leash with the Rooneys. He will not get any more chances at this point in time, this is his time to make it right or be gone.

Pappy

I agree. Not sure if they can replace Holmes in one year. He is a talented WR that appears to have issues with maturity. IMO, the organization made the right call to trade him. I believe they have enough good players on offense to compensate for the loss of Holmes. Heath, Mendenhall, or others may see more carries or passes.

Sugar
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I, for one, had no problem with Tone getting the MVP even though I thought Ben was probably more deserving. I did object to only getting a 5th round pick for him prior to the draft as I thought that he might have been good trade bait on draft day.

I have no problem with Tone and I kept him as a FB friend (whatever that means). Still, he actually tested positive for banned substances. I can see why the Rooney's felt the need to get rid of him, but I fear that we went from having one of the better receiving corps in the NFL, we are stuck with a middling bunch at best.

proudpittsburgher
05-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Put up a poll and ask Steeler fans "WHO WAS THE MVP OF SB 43" and see how many votes Tone will get vs how man Ben will get. Don't be naive.

Nice, now, I am naive because of the results of a poll which you never conducted. I thought you dealt in facts?

You know the pulse of the Steeler Nation after Tone won that award. Who did the worse things Tone or Ben? TELL THE TRUTH AND SHAME THE DEVIL. I think TWO rape allegations trump anything Tone has ever done. Possesion of marijuana? A missed UA? The glass situation? How did that turn out? Tone has done NOTHING close to what Ben has done. What is the biggest story in the HISTORY of the Steeler organization? That would be the situation is Georgia sir.

Um, didn't I say that in my post? Read again, sir.

Ben is doing what he HAS to do. Its a FORCE thing not a CHOICE thing. It's like getting credit for going to jail when the judge tells you to go. It's like gettng credit for letting the cops search your home when they flash a search warrant. LIKE YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

Riiiiiight, and that was what I was saying, Tone had that option, and chose to instead tweet that the team was going to trade him, an dcontinu on his stupid tweets about wake and bake. Seriously, do you have a filter in your brain which only allows you to read what you want?

Slapstick
05-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Hamstring injuries + mid 30s

see: Dermonti Dawson

How many games did Hines miss due to a hamstring injury over the last two years?

IMO, the chances of him making it through a whole season are better than some of you seem to think...conditioning has come a long way since Dirt played...

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I would rather have T.O news on my team ANYDAY vs the Roethlisberger press. Sorry.

The current Ben press? Sure. Who wouldn't? But this Ben press was pretty good. You can't discount it.

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Sports/images-3/ben-roethlisberger-superbowl.jpg

That press was good for us BUT the press that DEFINES him is the press that has to do with Rape allegations. When women see him now what do you think they think? When announcers talk about Ben they will ALWAYS mention Georgia and Vegas. The allegations will outweigh the 2 SB wins.

Sugar
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM

That press was good for us BUT the press that DEFINES him is the press that has to do with Rape allegations. When women see him now what do you think they think? When announcers talk about Ben they will ALWAYS mention Georgia and Vegas. The allegations will outweigh the 2 SB wins.

That's sad- sad that Ben can't bring retribution via the legal system on these individuals who have caused harm to his reputation and affected his earnings. Not a single charge, yet the man has been damaged and is expected to be above it all because he's the $100 million man. Yep, sad.

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM

every post is about ben. why is that? you should get over your man crush already. was the 20 year old girl in GA your sister or something? i bet in the first 4 weeks when ben isnt even playing all you will post about is ben, even though we wont see him for a month. it will always be about ben with you. im not going to even compare ben's problems with tone because its stupid. tone did drop the first td pass which was perfect. how many qb's have thrown two perfect td passes to win a game? tone was lucky he got the mvp after that imo
If I want to post 6 THOUSAND posts about Ben that is my perogative sir. If you don't like them then please don't read. Simple. The woman doesnt have to be my sister. I don't like ANYONE who drags my team through the mud. Ben has done that twice. So I have to KNOW a woman to be against rape? You sound like a typical hillbilly SAVAGE. Tone was our best receiver, Ben threw a pick in that game so should we discredit his TD pass becausee of the earlier pick? Ben has thrown ONE TD pass in TWO SB games with THREE ints. But he is great? He is the reason we won? Him and ARE are tied in TD passes and twan is a RECEIVER LOL

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 06:32 PM

Pappy
i Respect the post but I aak you. Who has brought the team MORE negative press BEN OR TONE? It is NOT even close. With Tones situations we never had fans yelling over the Commish saying "SHE SAID NO". I was at the Raven game last season and there were women (about 15) picketing, talking crap about Ben. How do you think it will be this season? When Suzy Kolber, Leslie Visser or Pam Oliver are interviewing Ben on the sideline what do you think they will be thinking? Ben is the Ted Bundy of the NFL and NOTHING Tone did can be equated with what Ben did. It's not even CLOSE. Even guys in the Penitentiary look down upon rapists and accused rapists. Its a SHAME when Convicted felons have more morals than the civillians.

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 06:36 PM
[quote]Put up a poll and ask Steeler fans "WHO WAS THE MVP OF SB 43" and see how many votes Tone will get vs how man Ben will get. Don't be naive.

Nice, now, I am naive because of the results of a poll which you never conducted. I thought you dealt in facts?

You know the pulse of the Steeler Nation after Tone won that award. Who did the worse things Tone or Ben? TELL THE TRUTH AND SHAME THE DEVIL. I think TWO rape allegations trump anything Tone has ever done. Possesion of marijuana? A missed UA? The glass situation? How did that turn out? Tone has done NOTHING close to what Ben has done. What is the biggest story in the HISTORY of the Steeler organization? That would be the situation is Georgia sir.

Um, didn't I say that in my post? Read again, sir.

Ben is doing what he HAS to do. Its a FORCE thing not a CHOICE thing. It's like getting credit for going to jail when the judge tells you to go. It's like gettng credit for letting the cops search your home when they flash a search warrant. LIKE YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

Riiiiiight, and that was what I was saying, Tone had that option, and chose to instead tweet that the team was going to trade him, an dcontinu on his stupid tweets about wake and bake. Seriously, do you have a filter in your brain which only allows you to read what you want?[/quote:3u67b5b1]
Again, NOTHING Tone did will have WOMEN piicketing the team. Who gets rid of a player for his twitter account? LOL. Are we in High School?

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2010, 06:36 PM

If I want to post 6 THOUSAND posts about Ben that is my perogative sir. If you don't like them then please don't read. Simple. The woman doesnt have to be my sister. I don't like ANYONE who drags my team through the mud. Ben has done that twice. So I have to KNOW a woman to be against rape? You sound like a typical hillbilly SAVAGE. Tone was our best receiver, Ben threw a pick in that game so should we discredit his TD pass becausee of the earlier pick? Ben has thrown ONE TD pass in TWO SB games with THREE ints. But he is great? He is the reason we won? Him and ARE are tied in TD passes and twan is a RECEIVER LOL

let me see if i have this right now, please correct me if i'm wrong...

you don't like Ben Roethlisberger? does that pretty much sum it up?

http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 06:40 PM

That's sad- sad that Ben can't bring retribution via the legal system on these individuals who have caused harm to his reputation and affected his earnings. Not a single charge, yet the man has been damaged and is expected to be above it all because he's the $100 million man. Yep, sad.
Funny you said that. IF Ben was innocent THAT'S what he would be doing. But he is NOT and the fact that he ISN'T trying to get retribution is a sign of his guilt. Notice we don't hear a peep out of the Georgia victim? Seems kind of weird doesnt it? She files charges and then drops them overnight and never to be heard from again. No civill suit or anything. Does that sound like a payoff to you? Does to me. Missing Tapes, crime scene scrubbed down funny how all these things transpired. Had the situations been reversed and this was Tom Brady, you Homers would be ALL OVER HIM.

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Incorrect let me Help you. I'm a Steeler fan 1st and foremost and IF anyone or any teams does ANYTHING to taint my team. I don't like it. Sorry IF I put the Steelers above Ben Roethlisberger. Just because I tell the truth about Ben DOESNT mean I don't like the guy. It just means that I'm a realist. I find it odd that "Steeler fans" have no problem being candid when it comes to Tomlin, Arians, Tone etc but when it comes to Ben Roethlisberger we have to watch our words. We have to treat him like a little porcelin statue. The media is wrong, the girl is wrong, EVERYONE is wrong, EXCEPT Ben. Ben was FRAMED. Who the HELL gets TWO rape allegations in their LIFETIME, let alone inside of a year???????????

Sugar
05-04-2010, 06:47 PM
i Respect the post but I aak you. Who has brought the team MORE negative press BEN OR TONE? It is NOT even close. With Tones situations we never had fans yelling over the Commish saying "SHE SAID NO". I was at the Raven game last season and there were women (about 15) picketing, talking crap about Ben. How do you think it will be this season? When Suzy Kolber, Leslie Visser or Pam Oliver are interviewing Ben on the sideline what do you think they will be thinking? Ben is the Ted Bundy of the NFL and NOTHING Tone did can be equated with what Ben did. It's not even CLOSE. Even guys in the Penitentiary look down upon rapists and accused rapists. Its a SHAME when Convicted felons have more morals than the civillians.

Um, why do you care so much about picketing or what other teams fans think? So far as anyone but the two people involved know, Ben has done nothing wrong. We could go over the whole, there wasn't enough to even charge the guy thing, but that's been beaten to death. I'm not speaking lightly in any way as I've had a very close family member that was actually raped. It's a very serious thing. That said, these reckless allegations have cost a man his reputation and livelihood and that is wrong, IMO.

Tone, on the other hand, was actually busted with a controlled substance in his vehicle and then failed a substance test. In other words, he was actually guilty of something. So actually Tone can't be equated with Ben because he is a proven offender and Ben is not.

HeHateMe
05-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Um, why do you care so much about picketing or what other teams fans think? So far as anyone but the two people involved know, Ben has done nothing wrong. We could go over the whole, there wasn't enough to even charge the guy thing, but that's been beaten to death. I'm not speaking lightly in any way as I've had a very close family member that was actually raped. It's a very serious thing. That said, these reckless allegations have cost a man his reputation and livelihood and that is wrong, IMO.

Tone, on the other hand, was actually busted with a controlled substance in his vehicle and then failed a substance test. In other words, he was actually guilty of something. So actually Tone can't be equated with Ben because he is a proven offender and Ben is not.
I care because there are 52 OTHER Steelers out there who have to be subjected to this crap because of our selfish QB. IF Ben has done nothing wrong THEN WHY IS HE SUSPENDED? Stevie Wonder can see that Ben did more than wrong. According to YOUR logic OJ Simpson did nothing wrong. No, Ben's actions cost him his reputation and his livliehoood NOT THE ALLEGATIONS. Go down the line and review ALL the Qbs in the histor of the NFL Joe Namath, Montana, Bradshaw, Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton, Moon, Kelly, Esiason, Young, Aikman, Brady, Manning, Archie, Eli,Stabler etc NONE have EVER been accused of rape. Ben has TWICE. WHY just Ben? Answer that please? Why just Ben?
For the record Marijuana is NOT a controlled substance. For the record Tone was busted with A BLUNT. Tone MISSED a scheduled UA, thjis is a violation. So just because the legal system cant PROVE you did anything wrong then that means you did nothing wrong? How shallow of you. I guess I have to take back all those things I said about OJ then. And all those guys that were WRONGFULLY charged of a crime and later found innocent due to DNA testing etc are STILL GUILTY according to you logic.
WOW

hawaiiansteel
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM

I care because there are 52 OTHER Steelers out there who have to be subjected to this crap because of our selfish QB. IF Ben has done nothing wrong THEN WHY IS HE SUSPENDED? Stevie Wonder can see that Ben did more than wrong. According to YOUR logic OJ Simpson did nothing wrong. No, Ben's actions cost him his reputation and his livliehoood NOT THE ALLEGATIONS. Go down the line and review ALL the Qbs in the histor of the NFL Joe Namath, Montana, Bradshaw, Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton, Moon, Kelly, Esiason, Young, Aikman, Brady, Manning, Archie, Eli,Stabler etc NONE have EVER been accused of rape. Ben has TWICE. WHY just Ben? Answer that please? Why just Ben?
For the record Marijuana is NOT a controlled substance. For the record Tone was busted with A BLUNT. Tone MISSED a scheduled UA, thjis is a violation. So just because the legal system cant PROVE you did anything wrong then that means you did nothing wrong? How shallow of you. I guess I have to take back all those things I said about OJ then. And all those guys that were WRONGFULLY charged of a crime and later found innocent due to DNA testing etc are STILL GUILTY according to you logic.
WOW

do any of your posts NOT include Ben?

http://www.noutopia.com/Resources/image_One_trick_pony.jpg

Sugar
05-04-2010, 07:38 PM

WOW

Wow, way to build a straw man. OJ? Really? At least there was enough evidence to charge OJ. In fact, he was found to be responsible for those deaths in the civil suit. But that isn't even the point.

It doesn't matter if a guy is accused 20 times if the accusations don't hold water and neither of these do. The Commish even said that the NFL didn't find that Ben committed a criminal act in his suspension letter. He spelled out why Ben was suspended so you might want to read that instead of asking me.

Ben never asked for these legally meritless accusations (for which they couldn't even bring a CHARGE). Tone, as much as I love him as a player, was actually caught doing wrong and fed the fire with his tweets.

Flasteel
05-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Two rape allegations is DISRUPTIVE. What T.O does is G Rated compared to that. There are never any police involved etc. All he does is talk candid. He also sells tickets i.e fills seats. Not sold on him on my team though because it gets cold in the burgh and I dont trust his hands. Tone was a stud and I hate that we let him go. Randle El is a BUM and I hate that we went and got him back. I cant believe that Steeler fans are not ADMITTING how much Tone will be missed. That guy made PLAYS.

Would you just shut the hell up. Your incessant whining about Roethlisberger is bordering on the obsessive. Now you're saying that all TO does is speak candidly and ARE is a bum. I mean I thought you were an idiot before, but now you've opened up your cake hole again and proved it.

BURGH86STEEL
05-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Would you just shut the hell up. Your incessant whining about Roethlisberger is bordering on the obsessive. Now you're saying that all TO does is speak candidly and ARE is a bum. I mean I thought you were an idiot before, but now you've opened up your cake hole again and proved it.

He appears to be the anti MSM. He has a woody for Ben for different reasons.

Flasteel
05-04-2010, 11:25 PM

Incredibly astute observation my friend.

AkronSteel
05-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Wow....was this thread Hijacked or what??? Geez Louise, I thought this was supposed to be about the Steelers current WR corp. Let me know when I can come back and talk about some football issues and not legal issues!!! Give us all a break please!!! We would like to talk about football as opposed to every thread ending up in I hate Ben Roethlisberger!!! ZZZZZZZZZZ

:HeadBanger

:wft

hawaiiansteel
05-05-2010, 03:40 AM
in an attempt to get this thread back to talking about the WR corps...

What does Sweed’s injury mean for Steelers?

This was going to be Limas Sweed’s year. I really believed that.

Sweed, a second round draft pick out of Texas, was going to be entering his third season with the Steelers. The 3rd season has often been a turning point for Steelers wide receivers.

If we look at former Steelers wide receiver Nate Washington, his career had many parallels with Sweed’s. Washington was a fast receiver who had lots of physical talent, but who just couldn’t seem to master the mental aspects of the game early in his career. He would get great separation from his defender, but then he would drop a perfectly thrown pass. This (very frustrating) scenario played out repeatedly during Washington’s first two years on the team. He just couldn’t seem to hold onto the ball. But then, in his third season, something just seemed to click in Washington’s brain, and the drops turned into catches.

I was optimistic that the same transformation was going to happen for Limas Sweed this year. He came into Steelers mini-camp with a renewed focus, after being placed on injured reserve for the final two games of the 2009 season due to emotional problems. Limas seemed to be working hard, and he had even changed his jersey number to indicate that he was looking for a fresh start. But then on the final day of mini-camp, Sweed injured his left achilles tendon. The extent of the injury has not yet been announced, but it is thought to be potentially serious.

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Sweed-drop-300x199.jpg

A major achilles tendon injury could easily cause a player to lose an entire season. That would be a big disappointment, both for Limas Sweed and for the Steelers. But injuries happen.

Sweed was probably the leading candidate to become the Steelers’ #3 wide receiver. Despite bringing back Antwaan Randle El, Sweed was the favorite to win the job. Sweed is taller and faster than Randle El, and we all know that Ben Roethlisberger likes tall wide receivers. That’s why the Steelers drafted Sweed in the first place.

With Sweed out, the door is suddenly open for a few players to work their way into the wide receiver picture. Arnaz Battle was brought in primarily as a special teams player, but he will now get a closer look at wide receiver. Tyler Grisham spent most of last season on the practice squad, but he was activated for the final 4 games of the season. He will also have an opportunity to work his way up the depth chart. And of course, the Steelers drafted two rookies who both had prolific college careers. Both Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders will have an opportunity to try to win a spot in Bruce Arians’ passing offense.

While Sweed’s injury is unfortunate, it definitely shines a spotlight on several players that I didn’t expect to make much of a contribution this season. The question is, “which one will rise up and snatch the opportunity?”

http://steelerstoday.com/

HeHateMe
05-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I didn't bring up Ben. I responded to someone who did. I was talking about TONE. Very consistent with the Title of the thread. Tone IS Holmes, do you get it? I'm sorry you get butt hurt when I mention the transgressions of your idol. I get the same way when someone brings bad press to the STEELERS. A little perspective. Oh and I accept your apology.

AkronSteel
05-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Obviously you don't know and haven't cared to read all my posts to understand my feelings on the Ben matter. Before you go making broad stroke statements to everyone on the board maybe you should do your homework! This is how I feel about the situation!!!

This was my statement in the Some More Rumors thread on April 21!

The real story is Ben put himself in this position not once but twice and even though none of us know if a crime was committed there seems to be a trend. If he is not guilty of rape then he is guilty of ignorance and poor judgement. He is suppose to be a leader on this team and a leader in the community considering all of our children look up to him and idolize him. Whether its right or not, that is the nature of the life he chose to lead. I for one think the suspension is a little harsh but I think that the league is sending a message that they will not stand for the kind of conduct that has been happening around Big Ben!!! He needs to use these evaluations to grow and use this suspension as motivation to turn his life around. Time to grow up and quit being a frat boy. How about finding a decent respectable lady to spend your time with as opposed to going to college dance clubs, and buying shots for ladies that you do not know. Grow up kid, change your life and be a man instead of some college punk. That's what the real story is!!! It's just sad that this kid has put himself in the position where not only is he risking his public image as a two time Super Bowl winning QB but also his career!!! Sad just Sad!!! I for one will not be wearing a Big Ben jersey again, and neither will my lil guy!!!

UGH!!! :HeadBanger

Next time maybe you should understand that its not about how I feel about Ben but that I am just tired of your continuous ranting on the same damn subject!!!! Its getting old fast!!! Real Fast!!!

HeHateMe
05-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Obviously you don't know and haven't cared to read all my posts to understand my feelings on the Ben matter. Before you go making broad stroke statements to everyone on the board maybe you should do your homework! This is how I feel about the situation!!!

The real story is Ben put himself in this position not once but twice and even though none of us know if a crime was committed there seems to be a trend. If he is not guilty of rape then he is guilty of ignorance and poor judgement. He is suppose to be a leader on this team and a leader in the community considering all of our children look up to him and idolize him. Whether its right or not, that is the nature of the life he chose to lead. I for one think the suspension is a little harsh but I think that the league is sending a message that they will not stand for the kind of conduct that has been happening around Big Ben!!! He needs to use these evaluations to grow and use this suspension as motivation to turn his life around. Time to grow up and quit being a frat boy. How about finding a decent respectable lady to spend your time with as opposed to going to college dance clubs, and buying shots for ladies that you do not know. Grow up kid, change your life and be a man instead of some college punk. That's what the real story is!!! It's just sad that this kid has put himself in the position where not only is he risking his public image as a two time Super Bowl winning QB but also his career!!! Sad just Sad!!! I for one will not be wearing a Big Ben jersey again, and neither will my lil guy!!!

Next time maybe you should understand that its not about how I feel about Ben but that I am just tired of your continuous ranting on the same damn subject!!!! Its getting old fast!!! Real Fast!!!
IF that is how you REALLY feel about the situation then WHY does it bother you IF I keep ranting? This should please you IF you REALLY feel as if you posted. EVERY Steeler board rags on Arians do you post "Please guys this is getting old" Do you?? Present your proof IF you are truthful. Just like you copied and pasted that old post, then please do the same in regards to Arians. The theme in Steeler Nation is it is OK to rag on Arians, Tone, Tomlin ETC but IF you rag on Ben it better be minimal. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that theory. I don't know WHY you guys get so angry. It is just words and opinions. We are in AMERICA, people can say what they want here. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISH

AkronSteel
05-06-2010, 12:28 AM

IF that is how you REALLY feel about the situation then WHY does it bother you IF I keep ranting? This should please you IF you REALLY feel as if you posted. EVERY Steeler board rags on Arians do you post "Please guys this is getting old" Do you?? Present your proof IF you are truthful. Just like you copied and pasted that old post, then please do the same in regards to Arians. The theme in Steeler Nation is it is OK to rag on Arians, Tone, Tomlin ETC but IF you rag on Ben it better be minimal. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that theory. I don't know WHY you guys get so angry. It is just words and opinions. We are in AMERICA, people can say what they want here. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISH

Dude,

Please do not try to tell me how I feel! You don't know me from Adam! I may not like what Ben has done, but that doesn't mean that I have to continue to clog up this board with the same tired story on every thread. I personally don't have a problem with Arians or Tomlin! The led us to a championship, what is there for me to complain about? I expressed my displeasure for TONE with his situations but I didn't continue to go on and on and on with the same rant over and over again! There are other stories that are important to some of us and we don't want to have to listen to you complain over and over again. I'm not saying that I disagree with your POV but that doesn't mean that I wanna read it on every thread, every day! We come here to talk about all things Steelers not just listen to you hijack every thread with your HATRED for Ben!! All I am asking is that maybe you discuss something other than Ben!!! It is just really really annoying!!!

HeHateMe
05-06-2010, 12:38 AM

Dude,

Please do not try to tell me how I feel! You don't know me from Adam! I may not like what Ben has done, but that doesn't mean that I have to continue to clog up this board with the same tired story on every thread. I personally don't have a problem with Arians or Tomlin! The led us to a championship, what is there for me to complain about? I expressed my displeasure for TONE with his situations but I didn't continue to go on and on and on with the same rant over and over again! There are other stories that are important to some of us and we don't want to have to listen to you complain over and over again. I'm not saying that I disagree with your POV but that doesn't mean that I wanna read it on every thread, every day! We come here to talk about all things Steelers not just listen to you hijack every thread with your HATRED for Ben!! All I am asking is that maybe you discuss something other than Ben!!! It is just really really annoying!!!
I do discuss other things than Ben and OF COURSE you have no problem with Arians. How did I know that was coming LOL. This is America. I will talk about what I want to talk about, if you dont like it then PLEASE don't read it. Simple. This is not a dictatorship. Maybe you should tell posters to stop opposing my positions then MAYBE it wouldn't go on and on. Did you ever consider that? It takes two to rumble. Always remember that. Telling the truth as I see it about Ben is taboo and you feel the need to post to me but it is ok for guys to call me a troll, punk, b*tch etc. I know I know "I haven't seen any posts were you were called any names" Save it. I will say this. I know ALOT about the Steelers to be a troll and I will put that knowledge up against ANY of you.

eniparadoxgma
05-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Maybe you should tell posters to stop opposing my positions then MAYBE it wouldn't go on and on.

ahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's gold, Jerry!!! :lol:

AkronSteel
05-06-2010, 12:42 AM

Dude,

I do discuss other things than Ben and OF COURSE you have no problem with Arians. How did I know that was coming LOL. This is America. I will talk about what I want to talk about, if you dont like it then PLEASE don't read it. Simple. This is not a dictatorship. Maybe you should tell posters to stop opposing my positions then MAYBE it wouldn't go on and on. Did you ever consider that? It takes two to rumble. Always remember that. Telling the truth as I see it about Ben is taboo and you feel the need to post to me but it is ok for guys to call me a troll, punk, b*tch etc. I know I know "I haven't seen any posts were you were called any names" Save it. I will say this. I know ALOT about the Steelers to be a troll and I will put that knowledge up against ANY of you.

I'm up for your challenge anytime man!!! Anytime??

HeHateMe
05-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Maybe you should tell posters to stop opposing my positions then MAYBE it wouldn't go on and on.

ahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's gold, Jerry!!! :lol:
Thanks bro. I thought so as well!

eniparadoxgma
05-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Now, see...that's where you fall under the median in trolldom. Typically, a decent troll would continue their monomania-driven diatribe in order to convince people that they're being really serious, and that they should be taken seriously...

You...just aren't cutting it. This is like shooting a corpse... and that makes me a sad panda. :(

HeHateMe
05-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Now, see...that's where you fall under the median in trolldom. Typically, a decent troll would continue their monomania-driven diatribe in order to convince people that they're being really serious, and that they should be taken seriously...

You...just aren't cutting it. This is like shooting a corpse... and that makes me a sad panda. :(
I told you I'm no troll. Now you have proof. DUUUUUUUUUUUH

eniparadoxgma
05-06-2010, 12:56 AM
I told you I'm no troll. Now you have proof. DUUUUUUUUUUUH

Seriously? This is it? The extent of your wit is "DUUUUUUUUUUH"? I can't say I'm surprised but typically the trolls tend to be a bit more...interesting I guess I should say. All you are is a broken record with a megaphone: Loud, monotonous, and really just plain dull.

Will you at least try to troll harder or display some form of wit or am I already done with you?

HeHateMe
05-06-2010, 01:00 AM
He's upset. Relax bud it is ok LOL

eniparadoxgma
05-06-2010, 01:09 AM

I have to admit I'm a tad disappointed in your ability to troll. No matter though, because I'm still having fun laughing at you.

(TRY HARDER)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

HeHateMe
05-06-2010, 01:11 AM
When you resort to LYING you are truly defeated. Sigh LOL

eniparadoxgma
05-06-2010, 01:14 AM
When you resort to LYING you are truly defeated. Sigh LOL

Lying? That's what you got? "DERP YOU'RE LYING"?!?!?!

JFC, please come back with better material. :?

NJ-STEELER
05-06-2010, 03:01 AM
sounds like Blackjackgold found his old screenname and password

Shawn
05-06-2010, 05:01 AM

I have to admit I'm a tad disappointed in your ability to troll. No matter though, because I'm still having fun laughing at you.

(TRY HARDER)

Yeah, I must admit I'm a bit disappointed myself. I mean we had some legendary trolls over at the Trib. Those guys could get under my skin. This troll makes me sleepy. Para you need to get a troll account...I'm fairly sure you could stir things up a bit. :D

Oviedo
05-06-2010, 08:07 AM

(TRY HARDER)

Yeah, I must admit I'm a bit disappointed myself. I mean we had some legendary trolls over at the Trib. Those guys could get under my skin. This troll makes me sleepy. Para you need to get a troll account...I'm fairly sure you could stir things up a bit. :D

Yea I remeber some of those guys too. The key was that they actually knew something about football and could articulate that beyond repeating third grade level one topic monosyballic words. That is why I have him on "Ignore." Not even worth the effort.

ikestops85
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I think Wallace can pick up the slack from Holmes departure. Holmes was an inconsistent receiver who dropped a lot of passes, wasn't good at going up for a ball, and in my opinion was horrible with his hot reads. He did pick it up and performed much better in the playoffs than he did during the regular season. Overall I think he had outstanding physical talents but his head refused to let him put it all together. If he ever got his head on straight he could have been great with the Steelers.

In my mind there are 2 questions about our receiving corp.

1) Can Hines still be Hines? I think so.
2) Can ARE take over for Wallace? This is the one I'm not so sure about. It would be nice to see one of the rookies emerge for this position. Just my :2c

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I think Wallace can pick up the slack from Holmes departure. Holmes was an inconsistent receiver who dropped a lot of passes, wasn't good at going up for a ball, and in my opinion was horrible with his hot reads. He did pick it up and performed much better in the playoffs than he did during the regular season. Overall I think he had outstanding physical talents but his head refused to let him put it all together. If he ever got his head on straight he could have been great with the Steelers.

2) Can ARE take over for Wallace? This is the one I'm not so sure about. It would be nice to see one of the rookies emerge for this position. Just my :2c

I don't doubt that Randle El will be able to handle the #3 WR role. He had 50 or more catches in each of the past 3 seasons. He may have been miscast as a starter in Washington and was grossly overpaid, but I still think he can fit that #3 role quite well. If we were relying on ARE to be the punt returner he was early in his career (we are not), then I would be worried, since he is not that guy anymore. But he should be a more-than-solid possession receiver for us. His YPC has decreased over the past few seasons in Washington, but that might be due to the decline in their o-line not giving Campbell time to throw (that o-line was solid 3 years ago when ARE averaged more than 14 yards per catch, but it was awful last year, when he averaged less than 11 yards per catch). I think he's capable of getting us 50-something catches for 600-something yards any maybe 3 TD's.

Oviedo
05-06-2010, 12:22 PM

The challenge is that we have no real #1. Hines is no longer a #1. At best he is a #2 possession slot receiver. So what we really end up with is a #2 (fading to a #3) in Hines, a #3 trying to be a #2 in Wallace and a #3 in ARE.

Reality is that our real #1 is probably Heath Miller. I'm OK with that as long as our QBs and OC embrace that and use the TEs and don't try to force a vertical passing game that may not be there.

Slapstick
05-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Hines is coming off of two consecutive seasons where he:

caught 80+ passes per season

had 1,000+ receiving yards

scored 6+ TDs

I hope all of the Steelers can fade like that when they are Hines' age...

birtikidis
05-07-2010, 02:48 PM

I personally think that NEITHER BEN NOR SANTONIO deserve MVP of that super bowl. Jimmy hate won that game for us. in my mind, he was the MVP.

birtikidis
05-07-2010, 02:51 PM

Incredibly astute observation my friend.
i was just thinking that MSM had his heart broken so he's on here ripping on his "EX"

hawaiiansteel
05-11-2010, 03:56 PM
i'm really hoping Emmanuel Sanders turns out to be a good NFL WR and not just a product of June Jones' run and shoot offense.

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/zip/2010/05-May/2010_rookie_camp/2010_Emmanuel_Sanders_167--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG

Sanders at mini-camp

Northern_Blitz
05-11-2010, 05:15 PM

I think what we're going to miss is Holmes' ability after the catch. Hopefully, ARE or one of the youngsters can come in and make com splash plays.

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Jets' Holmes: Attendant caused flight flap

By The Associated Press
Friday, May 21, 2010

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-05-20/0521holmesGETTY-b.jpg

Santonio Holmes

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes believes a flight attendant singled him out last month because he was a former Pittsburgh Steelers player.

"I just felt I was being scrutinized just for who I am," said Holmes, speaking publicly Thursday for the first time about the incident.

Authorities at Pittsburgh International Airport filed a report after an unidentified flight attendant claimed Holmes failed to follow regulations by not turning off his iPod as the plane was landing. Police questioned him at the gate, but he was not arrested or charged.

Holmes was acquired from the Steelers in April for a fifth-round pick in this year's draft. He was on a flight from Newark Liberty International Airport to Pittsburgh, and thinks the flight attendant targeted him because of his Steelers ties.

"I honestly think it was," Holmes said. "Flying back to Pittsburgh for the first time since being here in New Jersey. She definitely just tried to make a name for herself because she actually was the one who went to the media and reported it. Nobody else did."

Holmes said the attendant was not working in the back of the Colgan Air Flight on April 29 until the flight was landing around 9 p.m. Holmes said she came up to him, woke him up and told him to shut off his iPod.

"I turned it off," Holmes said. "As she walked away, she said she still heard music. And I took my iPod out, I put it in the lady's ear sitting next to me and asked her, 'Ma'am, do you hear any music?' And she addressed me, 'No, sir.' I put my headphones back on and went back to sleep. I get off the airplane and the police are standing outside waiting for me. So that was that issue."

After speaking with the police, Holmes was able to leave without incident.

"He was asked to remove his iPod (at one point), in which he complied," the Allegheny County police said in a statement.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 82195.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_682195.html)

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2010, 02:59 AM
Wallace comfortable in offense

By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com

With uncertainty as to who will open the season as the starting quarterback, OTAs are a key time for the team’s receivers to get their timing down and establish a comfort level with the quarterbacks.

Mike Wallace, who is in his second season, is especially focused on working with whoever will replace Ben Roethlisberger while he serves a six-game suspension. Wallace worked with Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon during his rookie year and early in the offseason, but is now trying to get accustomed to Byron Leftwich.

“I want to learn how he throws the ball, where it’s going,” said Wallace. “He and Ben throw different, but they are both really good quarterbacks. Being here and learning from him, how he throws and getting the chemistry going is real helpful.

“I have been playing with those guys, except for Byron. But he has a strong arm. There is a little adjustment, but he can get it done. He has a strong arm.”

Wallace’s comfort level this offseason is much greater than a year ago when he was a rookie just getting his feet wet.

“It’s a lot easier to just to go out and play instead of worrying about what is hot, what routes I have, making sure I am in the right formation,” said Wallace. “When I hear a play now, I am going straight to the line and I have the play. It makes everything easier. It seems like I came so far in the offense and learning more about coverage and everything. Just being in the system with Hines (Ward) for a year, he taught me everything. Now looking at it it’s so much easier to just go out and play.”

He can sympathize with rookie wide receivers, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, who are going through what he did a year ago.

“I tell them don’t worry about it,” said Wallace. “I laugh because I know what they are going through. BA (Bruce Arians) is going to get on them and ask them what they are doing. I have to tell them keep their head up and keep on studying. That’s the main thing. There is going to be a lot on you at first but it gets easier as time goes on.”

Wallace made a huge impact on the Steelers offense his rookie season playing in all 16 games and finishing with 39 receptions. Wallace started five games when the team lined up in a three-receiver set and finished the year tied with the team lead for six touchdown receptions en route to winning the team’s rookie of the year honors. With Santonio Holmes traded to the New York Jets, Wallace is looking forward to taking his game to the next level with an opportunity there.

“It gives me the opportunity to step up and make plays,” said Wallace. “I had planned on making plays any way, but I will have a bigger role and I am up to the challenge and will make sure I do everything I can and not let anybody down.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 7133975aec (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Wallace-comfortable-in-offense/fc0cfe3e-547e-4380-845d-7f7133975aec)

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2010, 12:46 AM
I Like Mike

By Harvey “Mr. Steeler” Aronson

Watching rookie Mike Wallace last year in training and during the pre-season, I had a strong feeling the kid was going to be special. Then #17 went out and had a great rookie season. If not for the performances of some other rookies around the NFL, Wallace may have won the Rookie of the Year Award. While he didn’t have quite Pro Bowl numbers, he did come close and now the task at hand is not only to improve on those stats but he has the major job of replacing the traded Santonio Holmes as the Steelers “go-to-guy.” For the record, Wallace caught 39 passes last season good for 756 yards with a yards-per-reception average of 19.4 yards while scoring six times and his longest reception coming for 60 yards. 28 of his receptions came for first downs and he returned a kickoff once for a 26-yard return. The question now is he built for the job of becoming the Steelers #1 receiver? Also, does it matter that for the first four weeks he won’t be catching balls from the man he got comfortable with last season and instead could be looking at bombs from either Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon? Mike talks…

“I want to learn how Byron throws the ball, where it’s going. He and Ben throw different, but they are both really good quarterbacks. Being here and learning from him, how he throws and getting the chemistry going is real helpful. I have been playing with those guys, except for Byron. But he has a strong arm. There is a little adjustment, but he can get it done. He has a strong arm. It’s a lot easier to just to go out and play instead of worrying about what is hot, what routes I have, making sure I am in the right formation. When I hear a play now, I am going straight to the line and I have the play. It makes everything easier. It seems like I came so far in the offense and learning more about coverage and everything. Just being in the system with Hines for a year, he taught me everything. Now looking at it it’s so much easier to just go out and play. I tell them don’t worry about it. I laugh because I know what the rookies are going through. BA is going to get on them and ask them what they are doing. I have to tell them keep their head up and keep on studying. That’s the main thing. There is going to be a lot on you at first but it gets easier as time goes on. It gives me the opportunity to step up and make plays. I had planned on making plays any way, but I will have a bigger role and I am up to the challenge and will make sure I do everything I can and not let anybody down. Sometimes the top guys lined up on me, but for the most part they were on Santonio or Hines. But I'm always ready for a challenge. I don't feel like I'm afraid of anybody, I don't fear anybody and they go to work just like I go to work. I'm going to be ready for them, just like they're going to be ready for me. I learned how to be a pro, coming in every day and working and never being satisfied with a good game or having one good week. If you're hanging onto that, you're going to get whipped. Every day's a new day, that's the main thing. We know what type of business we're in and we're ready to roll with whoever's in. It's always going to be hard when Ben’s not here, but we've got to keep rolling. I feel like when he comes back, we're going to pick up where we left off. I feel like they believe I can do the same things Santonio did. I don't feel like there's anything Santonio did that I can't do. I'm still running some of the routes I ran last year, it's just that I have more of them to run. That's the nature of the business. One guy's out and the next day I have to step in.”

Byron on Wallace:

“We all know what Santonio can do. Mike, he's running by a lot of people. He's got speed that not a lot of people have. We haven't seen that in the league a lot. There's only a few people who can run like that.”

Byron’s competitor Dennis Dixon’s turn:

“When you think of Mike, you think of a deep threat. Whenever you go up top with Mike, you've got to be sure to release it early because he can outrun your arm.”

http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html

Polamalubeast
05-28-2010, 10:08 AM
"I was so angry when Holmes was traded

I will miss him, because I have always loved the field but I also understand why the steelers have traded

RuthlessBurgher
05-28-2010, 10:14 AM
While he didn’t have quite Pro Bowl numbers, he did come close

If it were the 1950's, then maybe 39 catches for 756 yards would be considered coming close to Pro Bowl numbers. Let see, 99 guys had more catches than Wallace last year and 46 guys had more receiving yards. Sounds like he came pretty close to the Pro Bowl to me. :?

DanRooney
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Sorry but Hines is not going to have those kind of numbers without a QB buying more time for him to get open. Nearly every big play from him last year came that way. Take the Green Bay game for example at 3:24. Ben buys him a half a decade for him to run 40 yards downfield. It's not going to happen with Leftwich and Dixon can't throw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWxyOIyzCiA

hawaiiansteel
06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Ben works with first-team offense

By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest
6-2-2010

If the questions were asked with the future in mind, Mike Tomlin answered them based on the present.

During Day 2 of Ben Roethlisberger’s return to the Steelers’ offseason program, he worked with the first-team offense just as was the case the previous day, but what made this seem a bit more significant was the fact all four quarterbacks participated in Wednesday’s on-field workout. On June 1, Roethlisberger also worked with the first-team offense, but Byron Leftwich was absent that day because of a previous commitment.

So it was not until today that Tomlin’s plan for a division of labor was revealed, and following the session he explained it.

“Because he’s missed opportunities, quite frankly, to work with some of those guys,” said Tomlin when asked why Roethlisberger ran plays with the first-team. “Of course, Byron has been doing it the vast majority of the offseason. Ben’s back in the building, so we put him in the huddle to get acclimated with the guys that he usually works with.”

The Steelers are in the unique position of knowing now that they will be without their starting quarterback at least for the first four games of the regular season, and so Tomlin is blazing a new trail for coaches in terms of dividing work at a critical position.

It long has been a mantra throughout the NFL that every backup is “one play away” from having to come off the sideline and perform on the field, but that typically refers to injuries, and nobody knows when an injury might occur or how severe it might be. This is a situation where the Steelers know who will be missing, and they also have a decent idea of the duration of his absence. For those reasons, planning for it is possible.

For his part, Tomlin said he will work through it in stages.

“As we sit here today, and that’s really all I’m focused on – what we’re doing this week, this section of OTAs – and what we really want to do is give Ben quality reps so he can get re-acclimated and improve and work on his game,” said Tomlin, “and we want to continue to give Dennis Dixon his reps because he is a young guy. When you’re talking about working with four quarterbacks, reps are going to be scarce at some instances. For the purpose of this week, if there’s a reduction it’s going to be at the expense of Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch.”

It was another well-attended OTA session from a media standpoint, and that figures to be the case at least until Roethlisberger addresses the media. When he does, it will be his first public comments since he issued a statement in response to being suspended by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in late April.

“I don’t mind the circus atmosphere because I can’t control it,” said Tomlin. “We’re trying to focus on the things we can control. We recognize as a professional football team that’s trying to be a world championship caliber team that there are certain things that come with being who we are that we have to accept, and we need to stay focused on what it is we are here to do, which is to improve. He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future and continue to move forward.”

Tomlin made it clear that he sees this situation as a process, and that making a quick pronouncement on Roethlisberger’s demeanor over the last two days serves no purpose.

“It’s less about how we respond to this in the short term, and even further less important what we say about it,” said Tomlin. “It’s more about how we move forward largely in the long term, knowing that Ben has a commitment to being what we desire for him to be and what his team needs him to be, and that’s my focus.”

INJURY UPDATE: Both Hines Ward (hamstring) and Justin Hartwig (shoulder) have been regular attendees of the OTAs, but neither has done much on-field work. “Hines is getting closer and getting better. Justin is as scheduled,” said Tomlin. “Justin’s going to be limited in terms of some of the exposure that his shoulder might get in terms of contact. Of course the emphasis in OTAs is non-contact, but when you are playing in close quarters, things could happen accidentally, and we want to exercise caution in regards to him with that. It also provides an opportunity for some young guys at the position to get quality reps. Doug Legursky has done a nice job at center for us. Maurkice Pouncey is getting some quality work at center. And of course the same can be said at the wide receiver position. Hines is not getting work so it provides opportunities for young guys like Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown to get some work.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...f-cf7a592d98a7

Prok
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I was upset when we traded him as well. But i subscribe to the QB makes the reciever theory. Not the other way around. Yeah ya don't want to lose a WR of his calipur,but the man was given chance after chance to right himself. I think the last straw was the failed drug test.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2010, 02:37 AM
i read where Tyler Grisham worked as the team's No. 4 wideout in practice on Tuesday, June 1, behind WRs Mike Wallace, Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle.

yes, Hines Ward is not practicing and we drafted Emmanuel Sanders in the 3rd and Antonio Brown in the 6th, but if Hines ever was injured this season for any extended period of time i don't think other teams would exactly be in awe of our receiving corps.

should Steelers fans be concerned about Hines' ability to stay healthy?

RuthlessBurgher
06-05-2010, 01:44 PM
i read where Tyler Grisham worked as the team's No. 4 wideout in practice on Tuesday, June 1, behind WRs Mike Wallace, Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle.

yes, Hines Ward is not practicing and we drafted Emmanuel Sanders in the 3rd and Antonio Brown in the 6th, but if Hines ever was injured this season for any extended period of time i don't think other teams would exactly be in awe of our receiving corps.

should Steelers fans be concerned about Hines' ability to stay healthy?

There are still 3 months until the games count. I'm not worried.

And Grisham is only ahead of Sanders and Brown now because he knows the offense having been on the team last year while the rooks are still trying to learn everything. I fully expect Sanders and Brown to pass Grisham at some point during the preseason.

hawaiiansteel
06-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Mike Wallace looks to be top receiver in Steelers offense

June 6, 5:08 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Examiner

http://blogbeckett.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/wallaceprestige.jpg

In 2009, Mike Wallace, a rookie, came storming out of Ole Miss and into Heinz Field like an angel with wings. After disappointing production by Santonio Holmes, Wallace was a god-send. His season results? 39 receptions for 756 yards and six touchdowns. Not too shabby when you compare him to veteran Steelers receivers last season.

Ward: 95 receptions for 1,167 yards and six touchdowns.

Holmes: 79 receptions for 1,248 yards and five touchdowns.

Sweed: 1 reception for 5 yards and no touchdowns (he was also injured most of the season).

During practices this spring, Wallace has been outstanding. He has been practicing with the first team, and that's where he belongs. Ward, the ever-patient teacher, coach, mentor, and hardest blocking wide receiver in the NFL (argueably) has taken the 'angel' under his wing and consistently been showing him the ropes.

ESPN quoted Wallace as saying of Ward, "Anything I do, he's watching...it's kind of hard to be perfect with Hines out here."

The best parts of Wallace are his strength, his new quickness and understanding of routes, and his hands. Fans are dying to see someone with good hands rise to the top after watching pass after pass get dropped last season. Ward has always been a go-to guy, but he's getting older, and he needs to be able to count on someone else to be able to get open and receive when he's double-covered. Last season, Wallace was primed to be the deep-threat back. This season, expect to see him receiving at least 80 receptions with over 1,000 yards. Anticipate touchdowns by this young man as well. His eyes are on the ball and on the goal.

http://www.examiner.com/x-50140-Pitt...se-this-season

ramblinjim
06-07-2010, 04:12 PM
SOmeone asked earlier in this thread if we had to worry about Hines getting hurt. The answer to that, as far as I am concerned, is "of course". But no more so than say Troy or Smitty, Deebo or any of our other starting WR's. Hines, Wallace and Randle-El are a decent top three. Battle, Sanders, Grisham, Brown, are all folks that would make me sick to be thrust into the starting line up.

hawaiiansteel
06-08-2010, 03:12 PM
i had hoped the Steelers would select ILB Sean Lee or WR Golden Tate in Round 2 of this past draft...maybe it's a good thing we didn't draft Tate!

Report: Golden Tate avoids arrest in donut store incident

Posted by Mike Florio on June 8, 2010

Seahawks receiver Golden Tate was apprehended early Saturday inside a Top Pot donut shop in Bellevue, Washington. The problem? The donut store wasn't open for business at the time.

Per the report, Tate received a "trespass warning," but he wasn't arrested.

As we hear it, Tate entered the store with another person and feasted on donuts. We're told that the folks at Top Pot opted not to press charges, which helped Tate avoid arrest.

Meanwhile, Tate boasted in April that he'd never get in any trouble.

"Being at Notre Dame, you're used to being under the microscope, so I'm used to having all eyes on me," Tate told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh. "Anything I do, anywhere I go. My mother and my father taught me what's right and what's wrong, so I don't think I have a problem making any tough decisions."

Apparently, he didn't have to make any "tough decisions" between glazed and cream-filled. He simply ate both.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -incident/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/08/report-golden-tate-avoids-arrest-in-donut-store-incident/)

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2010, 03:25 PM
i had hoped the Steelers would select ILB Sean Lee or WR Golden Tate in Round 2 of this past draft...maybe it's a good thing we didn't draft Tate!

Report: Golden Tate avoids arrest in donut store incident

Posted by Mike Florio on June 8, 2010

Seahawks receiver Golden Tate was apprehended early Saturday inside a Top Pot donut shop in Bellevue, Washington. The problem? The donut store wasn't open for business at the time.

Per the report, Tate received a "trespass warning," but he wasn't arrested.

As we hear it, Tate entered the store with another person and feasted on donuts. We're told that the folks at Top Pot opted not to press charges, which helped Tate avoid arrest.

Meanwhile, Tate boasted in April that he'd never get in any trouble.

"Being at Notre Dame, you're used to being under the microscope, so I'm used to having all eyes on me," Tate told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh. "Anything I do, anywhere I go. My mother and my father taught me what's right and what's wrong, so I don't think I have a problem making any tough decisions."

Apparently, he didn't have to make any "tough decisions" between glazed and cream-filled. He simply ate both.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -incident/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/08/report-golden-tate-avoids-arrest-in-donut-store-incident/)

If someone told you yesterday that a 2010 second round pick in the NFL draft would break into a closed donut shop to feast on donuts in the middle of the night, how many of you would have guessed it would be Golden Tate? Even Mount Cody himself was shocked that it wasn't him.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/94801/terrence-cody-weigh-in.jpg

:lol:

Oviedo
06-08-2010, 03:39 PM

I think what we're going to miss is Holmes' ability after the catch. Hopefully, ARE or one of the youngsters can come in and make com splash plays.

Everyone has touted Emmanuel Sanders' ability to get yards after the catch. I hope he proves he deserves to be on the field like Wallace did last year versus wasting reps on ARE or Battle.

RuthlessBurgher
06-08-2010, 05:42 PM
The quote that Pete Carroll agrees that maple bars can be irresistible absolutely floored me. There's comedy, there's high comedy, and then there's irresistible maple bars. :lol:

Tate 'embarrassed' by doughnut incident
Associated Press
Updated: June 8, 2010, 5:18 PM ET

RENTON, Wash. -- Seahawks rookie wide receiver Golden Tate apologized Tuesday and said he was "very embarrassed" after police in suburban Seattle gave him a warning for trespassing into a gourmet doughnut shop at 3 a.m. last weekend.

The former Notre Dame star says it was a foolish mistake but that he is glad to have learned a valuable lesson without getting arrested.

Tate says a friend took a couple of maple bars from the shop, which is at the bottom of the building in which Tate lives.

He says "they are irresistible."

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll says he has talked to Tate, and agrees that maple bars can be irresistible.

The celebrity gossip outlet TMZ first reported the incident Tuesday.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5265276

And since I already made fun of Mount Cody as the most likely 2nd round pick in this draft to break into a donut shop to feast on donuts in the middle of the night, it is equally hard to believe that irresistible maple bars weren't the primary culprit behind LenDale White sudden ouster from Seattle.

http://www.blackfitnessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/lenwhaletraining.jpg

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Antonio Brown and Arnaz Battle looked good at WR and Sanders is definitely a keeper...we may very well end up keeping 6 WRs this season.