PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Series

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I thought we outplayed them in game 2, but Halak stole the game as if this were still the Caps series. Too bad we couldn't go 4-for-4 on the power play again, eh?

It was definitely odd not seeing Staal out there since he hasn't missed a game for us since entering the league. Too bad his Iron Man streak had to end, but I did like what I saw out of the Dupuis-Talbot-Cooke line. If they keeping things up, I wonder (assuming Staal is able to come back following the surgery to the tendon on the top of his foot) if they will keep this line together for a little while instead of re-uniting Kennedy-Staal-Cooke immediately. We could move Staal up to Malkin's line instead, hopefully to give the reigning Conn Smythe winner that boost that we haven't seen from him in the playoffs thus far.

The lines could go something like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Ponikarovsky-Malkin-Staal
Dupuis-Talbot-Cooke
Kennedy-Adams-Rupp (or Fedotenko)

RuthlessBurgher
05-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Random thoughts after watching game 3:

Great to see Malkin with the Power Play Goal after a scoring drought.

Great to see Fleury with the shutout and Dupuis with the empty net clincher in their home province (hopefully, we can get similar results out of fellow Quebecois Letang and Talbot tomorrow as well).

Great to hear that Staal was able to take part in the morning skate so soon after tendon surgery on his foot (and practiced in full gear with the team today).

Does anyone else get freaked out a little bit by those Bell ads on the corner boards in both Ottawa as well as Montreal (you know, the one with the guys chin that grows a beard as the game progresses?)

Jigawatts
05-06-2010, 11:28 AM
(Jigawatts chants) Fleury Fleury Fleury

Ruthless, are you talking about the guy wearing what appears to be a Habs jersey?
He already freaked me out, but now that I'm aware that he's progressively growing a
beard as the game goes on, I'm doubly freaked.

Jigawatts
05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's another billboard question or two.

Pizza Pizza - Is that advertising Little Caesers or is there actually a place called Pizza Pizza?

Tim Hortons - What can I say, but the billboard is doing it's job. I've never been to a Tim
Hortons and every time I see an advertisement I want to take a trip to the Niagara Falls area.
They did have one at Nationwide Arena when I attended a Pens game, but I figured it
wouldn't be the same.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Here's another billboard question or two.

Pizza Pizza - Is that advertising Little Caesers or is there actually a place called Pizza Pizza?

Tim Hortons - What can I say, but the billboard is doing it's job. I've never been to a Tim
Hortons and every time I see an advertisement I want to take a trip to the Niagara Falls area.
They did have one at Nationwide Arena when I attended a Pens game, but I figured it
wouldn't be the same.

Pizza Pizza is it's own place. I asked the same question when first visited my buddy Ian in Ottawa back in the mid-90's. Apparently, they have one phone number nationwide that connects you to a call center, which forwards your order to the local Pizza Pizza joint.

Tim Hortons has excellect doughnuts (I don't drink coffee, so I can't comment on that). Within the past year, former Penguin tough guy Dennis Bonvie opened up a bakery near where I work in Wilkes-Barre. At the Grand Opening, I asked him why he didn't just bring a Tim Hortons franchise down here, and he said that it would have cost him much more in franchise fees and the like than it would to just open an upstart business. He said that to make the franchisee investment worth it, he'd have to open multiple Tim Hortons throughout the area (which would have certainly had been cool for me), but he wasn't ready to fork over that kind of dough at that point.

Now you've made me hungry for Canadian cuisine. Need to make a run for the border (the other one) for some poutine.

Jigawatts
05-06-2010, 01:49 PM
The Dennis Bonvie place is giving me mental images of Stan Makita's Donut's from
Waynes World. :lol: Anyway, I found a Tim Hortons in Calcutta, Oh, which is only
about 30 minutes from here. I can have my mom pick up a dozen the next time
she goes to Mountaineer to bet on the Ponys. :D

http://cdn.nhl.com/blackhawks/images/upload/2009/12/donuts650.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
(Jigawatts chants) Fleury Fleury Fleury

Ruthless, are you talking about the guy wearing what appears to be a Habs jersey?
He already freaked me out, but now that I'm aware that he's progressively growing a
beard as the game goes on, I'm doubly freaked.

The mystery chin is behind the net in each of the following pictures:

Clean-shaven:

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2010/05/98849080_slide.jpg

Bearded:

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2010/05/98849839_slide.jpg

Now you aren't going to be able to pay attention to the hockey tonight. You'll be too focused on the boards as that freaky chin grows a five o'clock shadow.

RuthlessBurgher
05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
The Dennis Bonvie place is giving me mental images of Stan Makita's Donut's from
Waynes World. :lol: Anyway, I found a Tim Hortons in Calcutta, Oh, which is only
about 30 minutes from here. I can have my mom pick up a dozen the next time
she goes to Mountaineer to bet on the Ponys. :D

http://cdn.nhl.com/blackhawks/images/upload/2009/12/donuts650.jpg

Now that I think about it, there my be a slight resemblence between Dennis and Ed O'Neill as Glen the manager of Stan Mikita's Donuts. :lol:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NGkDQSn1H7E/S1Sv3ka8ZCI/AAAAAAAAAA8/KHnQqWdm--k/s320/Bonvie+sign0109.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_di0-LkPjMgI/Sx6zTzC2STI/AAAAAAAAAUo/TUkyrONxTw0/s400/wayne7.jpg

Jigawatts
05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I could see that coming from a mile away. The Habs weathered the storm time and time again as
the Pens failed to put a third goal on the board after countless opportunities. Chris Letang fans on
what was pretty much an open net, then he kicks in the go ahead goal in between the wrong pipes. :nono

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
It felt like we should have been up by 4 goals with how one-sided the action was through 2 periods. Being only up one, you just knew that they would blow it by trying to sit on that miniscule lead instead of continuing to be aggressive. We had our chances to tie on several occassions at the very end, but it wasn't to be. It's nice that we've had 11 goals scored by 11 different players, but now it is time for the Sids and Genos to step up and just take things over.

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2010, 01:51 AM
3-2 series lead headed back to Montreal on Monday.

When we acquired Alexei Ponikarovsky at the trade deadline to give more of a scoring winger for Malkin's line, what would the odds have been back then against Bylsma deciding to make him a healthy scratch during game 5 of a 2-2 playoff series, in favor of Mark Letestu? 100-to-1? 250-to-1? 500-to-1?

I was hoping for a second straight home ice shutout for Fleury, but it wasn't to be, with the 6-on-4 Habs advantage because of a penalty and an empty net.

Gotta love how clear "Renegade" came through the airwaves near the end of the game (not quite the same with white towels instead of gold ones, but still impressive nonetheless).

It is annoying when fans with primo seats behind the benches don't adhere to the team's wishes for a white-out (except for the blonde behind the Pens bench with the powder blue t-shirt hanging off the one shoulder...she's excused...not enough close-up shots of Bylsma tonight).

Discipline of Steel
05-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Thank goodness we won! I have to say, game 5s are most critical toward winning a close 7 game series.

Jigawatts
05-10-2010, 02:17 PM
It is annoying when fans with primo seats behind the benches don't adhere to the team's wishes for a white-out.

Much less annoying than the lady sitting on the glass knitting. Yes, knitting. A playoff game
with seats on the glass and she's knitting. WTF. Seriously, knitting.

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2010, 03:23 PM
It is annoying when fans with primo seats behind the benches don't adhere to the team's wishes for a white-out.

Much less annoying than the lady sitting on the glass knitting. Yes, knitting. A playoff game

Kris Letang needs to move his d@mn head. I can't read what the Knitting Lady is trying to say!

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2010/05/98929225_slide.jpg

Jigawatts
05-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Kris Letang needs to move his d@mn head. I can't read what the Knitting Lady is trying to say!

I didn't realize she was a regular at the games. :shock:

Jigawatts
05-10-2010, 04:12 PM

I didn't realize she was a regular at the games. :shock:

And to be knitting, a bit irregular. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Perhaps she is knitting toques for the boys to wear over their helmets to keep their heads warm during their next Winter Classic appearance (hopefully against the Flyers at Beaver Stadium in State College...we can't have a Winter Classic at Heinz, because we plan to be using that field for something else in January, every year, and trying to build a hockey rink on to of our already crappy turf could be a nightmare...unless there is an NFL lockout, of course...hmmmm...)

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0801/nhl.winter.classic.pens.sabres/images/conklin.miller.headshots.jpg

Ryan Miller looks like the happier goaltender, wearing a toasty wool toque. :wink:

Discipline of Steel
05-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Knitting Lady Says DIE!

flippy
05-12-2010, 09:15 AM
This reminds me of last year's Finals. Detroit often outplayed us but we were opportunistic and won.

Pittsburgh is dominating like Detroit. But Montreal is playing great defense, has superb goaltending, and is scoring despite limited chances.

Game 7 scares the heck out of me.

frankthetank1
05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
This reminds me of last year's Finals. Detroit often outplayed us but we were opportunistic and won.

Pittsburgh is dominating like Detroit. But Montreal is playing great defense, has superb goaltending, and is scoring despite limited chances.

Game 7 scares the heck out of me.

me too!! fluery's playoff record after a loss is amazing though so that makes me feel a little better. i hope we get a performance from him just like the game he played in game 5. i really hope the pens can win game 7. i hate montreal so effin much. living so close to qubec is awful. french canadians make me sick :lol:

flippy
05-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Game 7 scares the heck out of me.[/quote:rinlz42h]

me too!! fluery's playoff record after a loss is amazing though so that makes me feel a little better. i hope we get a performance from him just like the game he played in game 5. i really hope the pens can win game 7. i hate montreal so effin much. living so close to qubec is awful. french canadians make me sick :lol:[/quote:rinlz42h]

except for the 4 french canadians that play for us. ;)

fluery has to have a huge game.

and malkin needs to score.

and we probably need a goal or 2 from a defenseman.

i'm looking for dupuis to be the hero of tonight's game. no player except for crosby plays so hard up and down the ice and i always feel like this guy is so deserving to score but he almost never does. and i feel like someone unexpected has to come through for us.

i'm hoping for a performance like game 7 against the capitals in the playoffs last year.

oh, yeah and go 4th line!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
05-12-2010, 10:51 AM
We win 5-2 with goals by Malkin (PP), Staal, Dupuis, Goligoski (PP), and Letestu. Crosby assists on the Malkin, Dupuis, and Goligoski goals. :D

Discipline of Steel
05-12-2010, 11:31 AM
We win 5-2 with goals by Malkin (PP), Staal, Dupuis, Goligoski (PP), and Letestu. Crosby assists on the Malkin, Dupuis, and Goligoski goals. :D

If the game goes down just like that...you are the automatic winner of the Hockeydamus Award.

RuthlessBurgher
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM

The knitting lady was one thing...but the guy with the godd@mn monkey puppet that was wearing a Hab jersey sitting being the Pens bench. Seriously? Who didn't want to punch that guy in the ear and then kick him in his vagina? :evil:

Jigawatts
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM

The knitting lady was one thing...but the guy with the godd@mn monkey puppet that was wearing a Hab jersey sitting being the Pens bench. Seriously? Who didn't want to punch that guy in the ear and then kick him in his vagina? :evil:

I would have liked to have seen the knitting lady stab him in the eye with a knitting needle. :evil:

What a horrible game from the get go, sparked by a suspect call from the ref that put Crosby in
the box. It just snowballed from there. The Pens looked like they were sleeping on the first 4
goals, and finally decided to wake up after Kunitz put one in. To little to late. Now what am I
going to do until September? Watch baseball? :HeadBanger :(

RuthlessBurgher
06-17-2010, 03:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330

Sources: Goalie Halak traded to Blues
By Pierre LeBrun
ESPN.com
Updated: June 17, 2010, 3:32 PM ET

The first blockbuster deal of the NHL's offseason went through Thursday when the Montreal Canadiens dealt goalie Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues, two sources with knowledge of the trade told ESPN.com.

In return, the Canadiens receive two youngsters: center Lars Eller and winger Ian Schultz, one source said.

Halak will be a restricted free agent July 1 and has not signed a deal yet with the Blues, his agent, Allan Walsh, told ESPN.com.

"And I can add that Montreal never contacted us since the season ended," Walsh said.

Halak was one of the big stars of the Stanley Cup playoffs, helping underdog Montreal to huge upsets of Washington and Pittsburgh.

But the Canadiens felt compelled to choose between Halak and Carey Price as their starting goaltender going forward and chose the younger Price.

Pierre LeBrun covers the NHL for ESPN.com.