PDA

View Full Version : It will be interesting to see how Goodell handless Payton...

brothervad
05-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I wasn't a Ben supporter and have no problem with the suspension...

that being said if there is any fire to the smoke coming out of New Orleans regarding Sean Payton being implicated for theft of Vicodin (per PFT)...I will be very interested at how Goodell handles (or lack thereof) the situation.

We have already seen articles regarding Tom Cable and the hypocrisy, but this incident may be too close to the Big Ben suspension for him to ignore.

So far a pretty bad start of the year for the NFL...(PR wise but not $$$ wise which I guess means that it really hasn't been a bad start lol)

brothervad

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Sean Payton denies abusing or stealing Vicodin

Posted by Mike Florio on May 1, 2010 4:45 PM ET

As expected, Saints coach Sean Payton has issued a statement regarding the report that he is one of the two unnamed Saints employees implicated in the abuse and/or theft of Vicodin.

"I have reviewed Geoff Santini's lawsuit and the unwarranted publicity it has received," Payton says in a statement provided to us by the Saints. "I have never abused or stolen vicodin or any other medication and I fully support the Saints' position in this matter as expressed by Greg Bensel yesterday.? "

Payton's statement neither admits nor denies that he is the unnamed "Senior Staff Member A" from the lawsuit filed by former director of security Geoffrey Santini.

As we have explained, "Senior Staff Member A" allegedly received a quantity of Vicodin suggesting abuse of the painkilling medication. Santini's lawsuit does not specifically allege that "Senior Staff Member A" stole any pills.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... g-vicodin/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/01/sean-payton-denies-abusing-or-stealing-vicodin/)

NKySteeler
05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
PFT is a weak source.... But if it becomes true, I'm sure he'll get his just due.

birtikidis
05-01-2010, 09:49 PM
well in todays NFL all it takes is an accusation to be suspended... at least that's the way it is for Ben.....

HeHateMe
05-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Ben DESERVED to be suspended. He is LUCKY that he is not locked up. 2 rape allegations inside a year isnt a coincidence. Ben embarrassed the shield. BENGATE is the biggest story in Steeler Franchise history. It even overshadows our 6 Lombardi's. THANKS BEN
SIGH

Sugar
05-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Ben DESERVED to be suspended. He is LUCKY that he is not locked up. 2 rape allegations inside a year isnt a coincidence. Ben embarrassed the shield. BENGATE is the biggest story in Steeler Franchise history. It even overshadows our 6 Lombardi's. THANKS BEN
SIGH

Whatever... :roll:

feltdizz
05-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't give a damn if Sean Payton, the Raidah's coach or any coach for that matter, gets punishment or suspensions because it won't change Ben's situation...

Suspending a coach does little to quench the thirst for justice with Ben or Goodell IMO...

But I guess every infraction with a player, coach, mascot, ball boy or fan of another team will bring out the vultures.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2010, 05:04 PM
you gotta give Roger Goodell credit, he is one of the few people left who is willing to be alone in a private room with Ben...

grotonsteel
05-03-2010, 02:36 AM
SIGH

:wft

Huh Allegations = Jail time???? Are you kidding me....

So you believe a alcoholic 20 year old girl???? I think you have never been to college.

hawaiiansteel
05-03-2010, 03:16 AM
SIGH

:wft

Huh Allegations = Jail time???? Are you kidding me....

So you believe a alcoholic 20 year old girl???? I think you have never been to college.

and i certainly don't believe an alcoholic 20 year old girl who along with her friends was wearing a tag on her chest that said DTF - "Down To F*ck"...

Mister Pittsburgh
05-03-2010, 07:47 AM
has anyone heard any news on the colts DT being suspended or did Roger only need to suspend Ben?

Northern_Blitz
05-03-2010, 08:12 AM
You have to remember thatn in Ben's case the Rooneys asked the league to sespend him because they could only give him 4 games and thought he should get more. The team was asking for a suspension.

flippy
05-03-2010, 08:14 AM
It's not a problem unless it gets major media coverage.

Sugar
05-03-2010, 09:29 AM
It's not a problem unless it gets major media coverage.

B-I-N-G-O!! :HeadBanger

Leper Friend
05-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I don't give a damn if Sean Payton, the Raidah's coach or any coach for that matter, gets punishment or suspensions because it won't change Ben's situation...

Suspending a coach does little to quench the thirst for justice with Ben or Goodell IMO...

But I guess every infraction with a player, coach, mascot, ball boy or fan of another team will bring out the vultures.
You're missing the point. It's about consistency. If accusations are all that it takes to suspend someone , well then here you go.

Here's part of what Goodell wrote about Ben -

"The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.' By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard."

Now I would say a head coach is a drug addict certainly "puts at risk the integrity of the game" . Wouldn't you ? Besides , he's already set the precedent that the allegations don't necessarily have to be true.

Sugar
05-03-2010, 10:02 AM

You're missing the point. It's about consistency. If accusations are all that it takes to suspend someone , well then here you go.

"The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.' By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard."

Now I would say a head coach is a drug addict certainly "puts at risk the integrity of the game" . Wouldn't you ? Besides , he's already set the precedent that the allegations don't necessarily have to be true.

It becomes about the seriousness of the charge as opposed to the merit of the allegations.

Leper Friend
05-03-2010, 10:24 AM

It becomes about the seriousness of the charge as opposed to the merit of the allegations.You're probably right but it shouldn't be that way.

I understand part of his job is protecting the integrity of the game.However , when it comes to determining what's serious and what's not , that's an extremely bold position for one to be able to say which morals are worth protecting.

There are alot of people who consider drug addiction very serious.Therefore, that hurts the integrity of the game.He just needs to be consistent , media pressure not withstanding.

Sugar
05-03-2010, 11:57 AM
It should ONLY be about the merit of the allegations, IMO.

Anyway, I hope that this is some kind of sick mis-understanding and that Coach Payton is exhonerated.