PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else "into" the Kentucky Derby?

NKySteeler
05-01-2010, 04:08 PM
... It's a staple around here in Northern Kentucky... No choice but to get into it... But the weather today is just plain nasty... It's gonna be a mudder with all this rain!

http://i43.tinypic.com/6htblu.jpg

Here's a rundown on all the races today....

1st 6 Stay put will win his daddy was a great mudder

2nd 2,4,11 only ones in race 2,4,11 w 6,7 w 3 w all only $36 pick 4

3rd #7 Heart Union 8-1 I LOVE him

4th #3 Havelock 10-1 almost jumped rail last start looks good enough to eat.

5th Go get a beer its too tough.

6th #2 Hot dixie Chick upsetter #5 Sister resister

7th #3 Fantasia and #6 Hot Cha cha

8th now we get serious late pick 4 2,3,9,10 w 11,12, w 3,7,8 w ALL in the derby $240 could pay $20000.

9th 11, 12 Kensai and Musket man I really like these two one will win

10th. Blues Street at 6-1 and Loup Bereton at 4-1 should upset the fav court vision but I will take all 3. Also if you are winning watch the #1 Wise River he will be 25-1...he has a small shot

11th the Derby well well well In my 25 yrs of following the derby this is the mopst impossible race I have ever looked at. I am throwing darts with a blind fold but here goes. Super Saver #4, American Lion #7, AwesomeAct #16, Mision Implazible#14 are my top 4. The race is impossible I see 5 horses with 2 lengths at the wire IT WILL be exciting!!!!!

Good luck we need some after todays bad luck as my 15-1 longshot #1 Coolie got caught on the last step to cost me $6000.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 04:41 PM
i've been watching the Kentucky Derby on tv all day, one of the things on my "bucket list" of things to do in my lifetime is to go watch the Derby in person...glad i didn't pick this year to do it however, the muddy track is going to make for lots of upsets...

when's the last time the Derby had two co-favorites at 8-1?

NKySteeler
05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
i've been watching the Kentucky Derby on tv all day, one of the things on my "bucket list" of things to do in my lifetime is to go watch the Derby in person...glad i didn't pick this year to do it however, the muddy track is going to make for lots of upsets...

when's the last time the Derby had two co-favorites at 8-1?

I honestly don't know.... The lines are changing almost continuously, though.

.... Man, I've been to the "Derby" three times, and I'm glad I'm not down there this year with all this rain.... It's currently "dry" (not raining), but it has been an ugly, ugly day....

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 06:38 PM
wow, that guy who bet $100k on Super Saver has got to be the happiest man at the track right now, next to Trainer Todd Fletcher for getting that monkey off his back of course.

NKySteeler
05-01-2010, 06:47 PM
wow, that guy who bet $100k on Super Saver has got to be the happiest man at the track right now, next to Trainer Todd Fletcher for getting that monkey off his back of course.

Yea... No kidding... I'm NEVER that lucky....

But 'ya gotta love Calvin Burrell winning his 3rd consecutive Derby.... Talk about a "high-priced" free agent.... He's gonna command anything he wants next year.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Yea... No kidding... I'm NEVER that lucky....

But 'ya gotta love Calvin Burrell winning his 3rd consecutive Derby.... Talk about a "high-priced" free agent.... He's gonna command anything he wants next year.

actually, Calvin Borel has won 2 Derbies in a row and 3 out of the last 4...Kent Desormeaux won on Big Brown in 2008. nevertheless, pretty darn impressive!!!

NKySteeler
05-01-2010, 07:18 PM
actually, Calvin Borel has won 2 Derbies in a row and 3 out of the last 4...Kent Desormeaux won on Big Brown in 2008. nevertheless, pretty darn impressive!!!

...Yea, I saw that... Actually, my "better half" pointed it out to me, seeing as how I'm an idiot... :lol:

I had hoped no one would catch the mistake since you and I are the only ones apparently interested in it... :lol:

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 07:24 PM

...Yea, I saw that... Actually, my "better half" pointed it out to me, seeing as how I'm an idiot... :lol:

I had hoped no one would catch the mistake since you and I are the only ones apparently interested in it... :lol:

i went to college in Seattle and started going to the track back then at Longacres, now called Emerald Downs. i think i used to study the Racing Form more than i did for my college classes, really got into the "speed handicapping" system.

unfortunately, there are no tracks or OTB places here in Hawaii...or maybe i should say fortunately... :lol:

NKySteeler
05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
i went to college in Seattle and started going to the track back then at Longacres, now called Emerald Downs. i think i used to study the Racing Form more than i did for my college classes, really got into the "speed handicapping" system.

unfortunately, there are no tracks or OTB places here in Hawaii...or maybe i should say fortunately... :lol:

The sad thing is that I repeatedly spelled the jockey's last name incorrectly....

.... I deserve an ass-kicking for that..... :lol:

fordfixer
05-01-2010, 11:00 PM

The only horse race I have ever been to was Longacers, What a great way to kill a day and have fun doing it.

steelblood
05-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I grew up near the Meadows in Wash Pa. Harness racing is a poor excuse for horse racing, imho. I never understood why the didn't just ride the horses. I've lived in Cincy now for a while and have done or gone to a lot of the events that are famous or regionally important. But, I've never gone to the derby or even watched it on TV. It seems like it would be fun to have a derby party. Maybe I'll have to start that in my neighborhood.

flippy
05-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I love the KD. Would love to go sometime. Anyone have any idea how much tickets cost?

I've been to Curchill Downs on a non derby day and really enjoyed the visit.

I can't see this race ever being better than last year when Mine That Bird won. They shoulda stopped horse racing that day.

My wife enjoys watching too for the pageantry.

I prefer the 2 minute race.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I love the KD. Would love to go sometime. Anyone have any idea how much tickets cost?

I can't see this race ever being better than last year when Mine That Bird won. They shoulda stopped horse racing that day.

my wife wants to go just so she can wear a fancy large hat while drinking mint juleps...

calmkiller
05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I am sorry, I don't mean to Troll this thread but I never understood the excitement. Watching horses run in circles never really excited me. Can someone try and explain it?

flippy
05-03-2010, 08:20 AM

my wife wants to go just so she can wear a fancy large hat while drinking mint juleps...

Take her on a tour of the distilleries while you are threre. She'll be sipping on makers marks by the end of the day. Their mint juleps are like drinking southern sweet tea (kool aid like tea for someone that's never had it) versus drinking unsweetened tea (makers).

And be sure to check out the Ali museum if you're ever there. One of the best museums I've ever been too. There's a ton of great stuff to do in Louisville. We kinda ended up there by accident for a few days and it was one of my favorite short trips I've made.

flippy
05-03-2010, 08:40 AM
I am sorry, I don't mean to Troll this thread but I never understood the excitement. Watching horses run in circles never really excited me. Can someone try and explain it?

1. The horses are amazing. Seeing the horses up close and personal makes the experience for some.

2. Betting is fun. And many people feel like you can make an educated bet with an advantage toward winning. If you bet and win just once, you'll be hooked easily.

3. The history - They've been doing the KD for 136 years. Tying yourself into history is one of the great experiences for many people.

4. The pageantry - The hats, the dresses, the horses, the jockeys, the owners, the min juleps. It's a great spectacle. Takes you back in time.

5. The party - 150K people at an event. It's like going to the Indy 500 with 500K+ people. Or Octoberfest with 1M+ people. The sheer size of these events make them memorable.

6. Check out Calvin on Mine That Bird. Check out where he wins the race at 7:30 in the video. It was a $9500 horse that had 50-1 odds. At 9:30, you can see this horse come from the end of the pack and blow by everyone to win by a large margin.

[youtube:2ujouxoy]AjY-rrAoTl8[/youtube:2ujouxoy]

ANPSTEEL
05-03-2010, 12:25 PM

1. The horses are amazing. Seeing the horses up close and personal makes the experience for some.

2. Betting is fun. And many people feel like you can make an educated bet with an advantage toward winning. If you bet and win just once, you'll be hooked easily.

3. The history - They've been doing the KD for 136 years. Tying yourself into history is one of the great experiences for many people.

4. The pageantry - The hats, the dresses, the horses, the jockeys, the owners, the min juleps. It's a great spectacle. Takes you back in time.

5. The party - 150K people at an event. It's like going to the Indy 500 with 500K+ people. Or Octoberfest with 1M+ people. The sheer size of these events make them memorable.

6. Check out Calvin on Mine That Bird. Check out where he wins the race at 7:30 in the video. It was a $9500 horse that had 50-1 odds. At 9:30, you can see this horse come from the end of the pack and blow by everyone to win by a large margin.

[youtube:23pyey88]AjY-rrAoTl8[/youtube:23pyey88]

It is possible his ride this year, 11 lengths back, through serious slop, is even more impressive.

flippy
05-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Makes me wonder if Calvin woulda won on any horse?

I also heard on the radio today that after taxes the 1st place jockey takes home about $100k, 2nd - $14K, 3rd - $10K, and the rest $300 for 4th-20th. And the jockeys have to even pay to get there and pay for their own parking. I wonder how these guys can make any kind of living doing this. Maybe this is why the good jockeys like Calvin are so good.

Re: this race being more impressive, I think it was interesting that no one was willing to ride against the rail and I wonder if SuperSaver was able to run faster because the track against the rail was the only smooth portion of the track.

ROLROC
05-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Eh, smart ride by Borel but no where close to last year's feat. Everyone else avoided the rail due to Churchill's off-track history of having a mid-track bias.

Ice Box was the best horse on Saturday but was checked hard. A better ride from Lezcano (or Zito putting a better jock on like Prado) on the 2, and he wins.

Super Saver has a good shot to win the Preakness but will fall short of a triple crown bid if Ice Box remains healthy and especially if Eskendereya is able to come back.

ANPSTEEL
05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Makes me wonder if Calvin woulda won on any horse?

He certainly seems to have it going right now. I wouldn't discount him on any horse.

I also heard on the radio today that after taxes the 1st place jockey takes home about $100k, 2nd - $14K, 3rd - $10K, and the rest $300 for 4th-20th. And the jockeys have to even pay to get there and pay for their own parking. I wonder how these guys can make any kind of living doing this. Maybe this is why the good jockeys like Calvin are so good.

I am not 100% certain on this- and I would imagine the top guys might negotiate a premium, but I think the jockeys receive 10% of the purse... could be completely wrong.

Re: this race being more impressive, I think it was interesting that no one was willing to ride against the rail and I wonder if SuperSaver was able to run faster because the track against the rail was the only smooth portion of the track.

One of the analysts commented that the 1 slot and outside the 8 slot were firm- everything in between was crap.

ANPSTEEL
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Eh, smart ride by Borel but no where close to last year's feat. Everyone else avoided the rail due to Churchill's off-track history of having a mid-track bias.

Ice Box was the best horse on Saturday but was checked hard. A better ride from Lezcano (or Zito putting a better jock on like Prado) on the 2, and he wins.

Super Saver has a good shot to win the Preakness but will fall short of a triple crown bid if Ice Box remains healthy and especially if Eskendereya is able to come back.

I agree with you on pretty much all points.

my comment about this being possibly more impressive than 2009 was based upon the track conditions.

I was telling everyone around me- "the winner is going to be a front runner or just off pace. No way does a horse come from way back, in this slop, with 20 horses."

So that Borel takes a good, not great horse right to the rail- in those conditions (keeping in mind the 1 post horse got absolutely hammered -twice- to crush any chance of victory) and coming from 10+ lengths back at the 2nd turn- having to go around a fading noble's promise- to win... in that kind of slop-

pretty dang impressive.