PDA

View Full Version : Taking a new approach

NKySteeler
05-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Taking a new approach
4-30-2010
By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com

Nose tackle Casey Hampton has been a regular in the Steelers weight room and at OTAs so far this offseason. He was even an early arrival on Thursday for the team meeting prior to mini-camp, checking in during the afternoon to get a workout in before getting down to business.

“It’s just that time. I am getting older,” said Hampton, who is entering his 10th season. “I have to take better care of my body and be ready for the season. It’s that hunger of wanting to get back to the playoffs and get back to where we need to be. I need to lead by example and show young guys how it needs to be done.”

The work that Hampton has been putting in definitely shows. Teammates are noticing that he is in better shape than past seasons, but Hampton is still working on it.

“I have been in better shape,” said Hampton. “I think they are just not used to seeing me around and that is the thing. I am usually not here this time of year.”

Another thing that has Hampton focused this offseason is returning to the level of success the Steelers have become accustomed to. Going from winning the Super Bowl one year and missing the playoffs the next year doesn’t sit well with the veteran nose tackle.

“You definitely come back with a chip,” said Hampton. “That’s not us not making the playoffs. That’s not acceptable. The veterans on this team and the young guys as well, we see it like that. When we don’t make it to the playoffs and the Super Bowl it’s always a disappointment. That’s something we can’t accept.”

Cornerback Bryant McFadden was sporting his familiar No. 20 at mini-camp practice. Fellow cornerback Keenan Lewis wore No. 20 last year, but switched to No. 23 after working a deal with McFadden.

“I had to work out something but it was a good deal,” said McFadden. “Both sides are happy.”

McFadden was acquired in a draft day trade with the Arizona Cardinals, returning to the black and gold one year after he left via free agency.

“It was a little shocking to be traded,” said McFadden. “I just really got adjusted out there. I was out there the whole offseason and knowing I was coming back here was shocking at first.

“I am happy to be back in an environment where I had a lot of success individually and as a team. Most importantly all of the guys are pretty much still here. I feel comfortable and confident in that. I am just trying to get some execution done and chemistry back together and get some success.”

McFadden ran with the first team in the team’s first mini-camp practice,

“It always feels good to feel wanted in anything,” said McFadden. “Knowing there was a need to get me back and pick up where I left off felt good.”

Quarterback Byron Leftwich started off mini-camp taking snaps with the first team in the morning practice on Friday.

Rookie free agent center A.J. Trump, who played at Miami, was let go before the start of mini-camp.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-cba1d3c71ee6

RuthlessBurgher
05-10-2010, 01:36 PM
A re-dedicated Hampton is bad news for the likes of Matt Birk, Alex Mack, Kyle Cook, and the other centers on our schedule this season.

SteelAbility
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Taking a new approach
4-30-2010
By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com

Nose tackle Casey Hampton has been a regular in the Steelers weight room and at OTAs so far this offseason. He was even an early arrival on Thursday for the team meeting prior to mini-camp, checking in during the afternoon to get a workout in before getting down to business.

“It’s just that time. I am getting older,” said Hampton, who is entering his 10th season. “I have to take better care of my body and be ready for the season. It’s that hunger of wanting to get back to the playoffs and get back to where we need to be. I need to lead by example and show young guys how it needs to be done.”

The work that Hampton has been putting in definitely shows. Teammates are noticing that he is in better shape than past seasons, but Hampton is still working on it.

“I have been in better shape,” said Hampton. “I think they are just not used to seeing me around and that is the thing. I am usually not here this time of year.”

Another thing that has Hampton focused this offseason is returning to the level of success the Steelers have become accustomed to. Going from winning the Super Bowl one year and missing the playoffs the next year doesn’t sit well with the veteran nose tackle.

“You definitely come back with a chip,” said Hampton. “That’s not us not making the playoffs. That’s not acceptable. The veterans on this team and the young guys as well, we see it like that. When we don’t make it to the playoffs and the Super Bowl it’s always a disappointment. That’s something we can’t accept.”

Cornerback Bryant McFadden was sporting his familiar No. 20 at mini-camp practice. Fellow cornerback Keenan Lewis wore No. 20 last year, but switched to No. 23 after working a deal with McFadden.

“I had to work out something but it was a good deal,” said McFadden. “Both sides are happy.”

McFadden was acquired in a draft day trade with the Arizona Cardinals, returning to the black and gold one year after he left via free agency.

“It was a little shocking to be traded,” said McFadden. “I just really got adjusted out there. I was out there the whole offseason and knowing I was coming back here was shocking at first.

“I am happy to be back in an environment where I had a lot of success individually and as a team. Most importantly all of the guys are pretty much still here. I feel comfortable and confident in that. I am just trying to get some execution done and chemistry back together and get some success.”

McFadden ran with the first team in the team’s first mini-camp practice,

“It always feels good to feel wanted in anything,” said McFadden. “Knowing there was a need to get me back and pick up where I left off felt good.”

Quarterback Byron Leftwich started off mini-camp taking snaps with the first team in the morning practice on Friday.

Rookie free agent center A.J. Trump, who played at Miami, was let go before the start of mini-camp.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-cba1d3c71ee6

I'd say we're all used to seeing Casey 'round. ;)

Now, can this keep up all the way to start of the season or will Captain Buffet take over again?

feltdizz
05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
The guy has an off season of fatness run a muck and people won't let it go. Casey isn't the problem with our D. A. Smith has been injured for 2 of the last 4 seasons but no one questions his age or durability.

He is a NT... he is supposed to be fat. When he stops making the pro bowl every other year then make fun of his weight.

Rant off...

I'm sorry I just get tired of the Hampton weight issue... it's not like he is a QB or a RB...

Chadman
05-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Statistically, Hampton had one of his best season's last season. More sacks, more pressures, more tackles.

Weight has never been an issue for 3-4 NT's as far as Chadman remembers.

Chavezz
05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Fat isn't the issue. That is true, the issue is his stamina.

Generally fat people have poor stamina.

feltdizz
05-10-2010, 09:30 PM

how many games has Casey missed? he made the pro bowl last year too...

The stamina, fat jokes and concern for lack of production should be reserved for players who don't produce.

Does Casey have poor stamina? Running 100's in August... sure, I expect him to have poor stamina... but in the trenches when has Caseys stamina been an issue? His worst season would get just about any other NT an extension and a pat on the back.

Chavezz
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM

how many games has Casey missed? he made the pro bowl last year too...

The stamina, fat jokes and concern for lack of production should be reserved for players who don't produce.

Does Casey have poor stamina? Running 100's in August... sure, I expect him to have poor stamina... but in the trenches when has Caseys stamina been an issue? His worst season would get just about any other NT an extension and a pat on the back.

I don't have time to check it tonight but I know that you can pull the amount of snaps played per game. I'd like to see that number...

feltdizz
05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I think the packages and passing downs dictate Caseys snaps. No reason for Casey to be on the field on passin downs... the pro bowl speaks for itself.

SS Laser
05-10-2010, 10:56 PM
I think the packages and passing downs dictate Caseys snaps. No reason for Casey to be on the field on passin downs... the pro bowl speaks for itself.

Really the pro bowl? I think most think the pro bowl vote is crap.

But on the other hand it is good for Ham to be working out with the team to be a leader. (Maybe Ben will see that and do the same.)
He is "fat" kind off, but not sloppy fat like Mt. Cody. More like a overweight strong man. Check his pictures with out a shirt. I have no problem with his weight. I am not sure Tomlin really had a problem with his weight in camp last yr. It was more of being a leader for the team and working hard. Not being there(minicamp/OTA's) working out with the team and coming in not ready for camp "out of shape" looks bad to the team.
I like that he is stepping it up!

Captain Lemming
05-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Casey said:

It’s that hunger ...
RuthlessBurgher said:

A re-dedicated Hampton is bad news for the likes of Matt Birk, Alex Mack, Kyle Cook, and the other centers on our schedule this season.

Ummm, a really hungry Hampton is worse news for the likes of Alex Mack.

I'm sure Big Mac(k)s dont stand a chance anywhere in the vicinity of Casey

phillyesq
05-11-2010, 12:32 AM
The guy has an off season of fatness run a muck and people won't let it go. Casey isn't the problem with our D. A. Smith has been injured for 2 of the last 4 seasons but no one questions his age or durability.

He is a NT... he is supposed to be fat. When he stops making the pro bowl every other year then make fun of his weight.

Rant off...

I'm sorry I just get tired of the Hampton weight issue... it's not like he is a QB or a RB...

Casey is still very good, but when he was younger, I remember him being a bit quicker. I realize that everybody slows down a bit with age. If Casey is in better shape and regains a bit of that quickness, he can go from being very good to flat out dominant.

I'm not complaining about Hampton - he played very well last season. I'm just looking forward to him being even better this year. :tt1

hawaiiansteel
05-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Statistically, Hampton had one of his best season's last season. More sacks, more pressures, more tackles.

is this a picture of the beautiful Jen?

http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/jennifer_hawkins_beach_fame.jpg

JTP53609
05-11-2010, 07:32 AM
boy, that casey hampton is a regular albert haynesworth...oh wait...hampton is actually with his team not crying over being a nose tackle...

Chadman
05-11-2010, 09:58 AM

You get one guess...

hawaiiansteel
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM

You get one guess...

and how am i supposed to recognize her with clothes on? :D

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2010, 05:43 PM

You get one guess...

In Hawaii, if this constitutes "clothes being on" why don't we all live there already? :wink:

feltdizz
05-11-2010, 06:53 PM

But on the other hand it is good for Ham to be working out with the team to be a leader. (Maybe Ben will see that and do the same.)
He is "fat" kind off, but not sloppy fat like Mt. Cody. More like a overweight strong man. Check his pictures with out a shirt. I have no problem with his weight. I am not sure Tomlin really had a problem with his weight in camp last yr. It was more of being a leader for the team and working hard. Not being there(minicamp/OTA's) working out with the team and coming in not ready for camp "out of shape" looks bad to the team.

most think the pro bowl voting is crap when the stats and play aren't deserving. Casey had a great year last year. I don't see why it's crap to mention his accomplishments

SS Laser
05-12-2010, 12:50 AM

most think the pro bowl voting is crap when the stats and play aren't deserving. Casey had a great year last year. I don't see why it's crap to mention his accomplishments

Well it is not crap to mention his accomplishments. Just I figured you could do better then saying the pro bowl! :moon

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2010, 02:44 AM

You get one guess...

In Hawaii, if this constitutes "clothes being on" why don't we all live there already? :wink:

swimwear is considered formal attire here in Hawaii.... :lol:

SteelAbility
05-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Rant off...

What if Casey put in the effort to convert 15 pounds of fat to 15 pounds of muscle? At his size, that is totally do-able. He probably burns calories like mad and has the ability to move a lot of weight in the weight room. That combo, with good diet could achieve a 15/15 conversion. You don't think that would help his game? He would be faster and stronger at the same weight. The criticism revolves around unachieved potential.

frankthetank1
05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
[quote=feltdizz]I think the packages and passing downs dictate Caseys snaps. No reason for Casey to be on the field on passin downs... the pro bowl speaks for itself.

Well it is not crap to mention his accomplishments. Just I figured you could do better then saying the pro bowl! :moon[/quote:34hq57q3]

i hate the pro bowl as well. if woodley was dominant in the first half of last season instead of the 2nd half of the season he would of made the pro bowl. Casey had a great season last year, one of his best. i think a lot of that is due to the fact that it was his last season under contract so he was playing for big money. i hope he continues his play into next season and i am wrong about playing for a big contract. its so common for pro atheletes though

costanza2k1
05-12-2010, 04:41 PM
They need to go to an AP style voting system for the Pro Bowl to make it meaningful and move the thing back to Hawaii permanently.

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
They need to go to an AP style voting system for the Pro Bowl to make it meaningful and move the thing back to Hawaii permanently.

couldn't possibly agree with you more on that one!!! :Cheers

the Pro Bowl is always sold out here and really helps out our economy... :tt2

http://colincosell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Pro-Bowl.jpg

feltdizz
05-12-2010, 05:42 PM

Rant off...

What if Casey put in the effort to convert 15 pounds of fat to 15 pounds of muscle? At his size, that is totally do-able. He probably burns calories like mad and has the ability to move a lot of weight in the weight room. That combo, with good diet could achieve a 15/15 conversion. You don't think that would help his game? He would be faster and stronger at the same weight. The criticism revolves around unachieved potential.

He has been the anchor of our D for how many years? We have been top 5 in run D how many years?

What unachieveved potential will Casey reach? He isn't running routes or kick off returns. Look around the league and show me the lean mean NT's who are at the top.

I'm not saying Casey shouldn't work out... but you talk about him like stinks or plays below expectations.

It's like saying if Troy cut his hair or powerlifted he could reach his full potential. When you are top 5 at your position there isn't much higher to go.

hawaiiansteel
05-12-2010, 06:44 PM
It's like saying if Troy cut his hair or powerlifted he could reach his full potential. When you are top 5 at your position there isn't much higher to go.

hey, Troy is NOT cutting his hair!

http://www.mediaincanada.com/articles/mic/20090911/polamalu.body_lead.jpg