PDA

View Full Version : Major changes in Sweed's life

fordfixer
05-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Major changes in Sweed's life
Saturday, May 01, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10121/1054795-66.stm

'Limas Sweed switched uniform numbers and hopes for a new lease on his life and the sport he loves to play.

"I feel good, felt like I'm in college again," Sweed said between Steelers minicamp practices Friday. "I feel fresh, feel young, real confident. I'm ready to play some football."

It was the first time Sweed spoke publicly since the Steelers placed the young wide receiver on injured reserve for the final two games last season. The Steelers listed "non-football illness" for the move. Sources reveal Sweed dealt with emotional issues that required professional attention.

Sweed said Friday his leaving the team was a "mutual decision."

"I just had some personal things going on in my life," said Sweed, who shed his old No. 14 for No. 80. "My family and the Steelers helped me get through it, and it's water under the bridge. It was nothing. It's water under the bridge. I'm working my tail off to be out there with the Steelers and have fun."

The Steelers drafted the 6-foot-4 Sweed in the second round from Texas in 2008. He caught eight passes as a rookie, including two in the playoffs, but his drops became more infamous, including one that would have gone for a long touchdown against Baltimore in the AFC championship game.

Last season, rookie Mike Wallace quickly surpassed Sweed to establish himself as the No. 3 receiver. Sweed rarely played; he did not dress for four of the first seven games and caught one pass all season. Again, he dropped what would have been a 34-yard touchdown pass, standing alone in the end zone in a 23-20 loss at Cincinnati.

Sweed has been working out with his teammates much of this year and took the field with them April 19-20 when they had their first OTA practices.

"The guys were very supportive," Sweed said of the time he spent since going on injured reserve.

"My family was supportive. We worked through it."

His expectations for 2010 are "just to play football and have fun."

"Relax, play football and have fun. It feels good. I feel like a kid again, running around, playing a game that I've been playing for a long time.

"It's good to be back. It's good to be around the guys, good to be playing."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10121/10 ... z0mevp1P79 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10121/1054795-66.stm#ixzz0mevp1P79)

NorthCoast
05-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Sure would be interesting to know what the 'non-football' illness was....my guess is some pyscho thing....wishing him the best this season...it will be his last chance as a Steeler.

Chadman
05-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Given the 2 WR's the Steelers drafted are both more suited to the slot role, and there really isn't a genuine young WR that could become Hines Ward's replacement as the 'possession WR', Chadman thinks Limas Sweed will be given every opportunity to make this roster.

BURGH86STEEL
05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Given the 2 WR's the Steelers drafted are both more suited to the slot role, and there really isn't a genuine young WR that could become Hines Ward's replacement as the 'possession WR', Chadman thinks Limas Sweed will be given every opportunity to make this roster.

It would lessen the loss of Holmes if Sweed can play up to his potential. A lack of opportunities might be what was missing. He should get more opportunities now that Holmes is gone.

ANPSTEEL
05-01-2010, 11:19 AM

It would lessen the loss of Holmes if Sweed can play up to his potential. A lack of opportunities might be what was missing. He should get more opportunities now that Holmes is gone.

Obviously, the new guys are unknowns- but it would certainly seem all the receivers currently on the roster- with the exception of Sweed- are best suited for playing slot.

I think you are correct chadman, the team needs Sweed to pick up his game- to be the other outside guy opposite of Wallace- otherwise Wallace will constantly have a Safety rolled over top on his side- and the offense will suffer significantly.

SteelHoss
05-01-2010, 11:25 AM

:Agree Sweed has lacked opportunities. Although, he has blown some big time
catches he's come up with a few clutch ones too. IMO he needs to get a few games under his belt before any career ending decisions are made. He can be a star if given 1/2 a chance. :tt1

Shawn
05-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Sweed was a man amongst boys in college. I wanted to draft him...and was excited when we did so. You can't teach that size and speed. And the guy could flat out catch a ball. He had some absurd catches. There is no doubt this has been in his head.

When we drafted him...I stressed the importance of giving him 3 seasons...3 full seasons. Big WRs naturally develop slower to the NFL game. And that's what I hope we give him...3 full seasons. If he doesn't have it after 3 I will call the Sweed project a fail.

BURGH86STEEL
05-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Sweed was a man amongst boys in college. I wanted to draft him...and was excited when we did so. You can't teach that size and speed. And the guy could flat out catch a ball. He had some absurd catches. There is no doubt this has been in his head.

When we drafted him...I stressed the importance of giving him 3 seasons...3 full seasons. Big WRs naturally develop slower to the NFL game. And that's what I hope we give him...3 full seasons. If he doesn't have it after 3 I will call the Sweed project a fail.

I hope he flourishes this season.

Shoe
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
The amount of excuse-making on this thread is funny. And I'm sorry, I skimmed... what was the major change in his life? A jersey #?

You could maybe say he hasn't gotten the opportunities (I wouldn't; Wallace probably started with equal shots on the field; Wallace has just done a ton more with them.) Quit with the F-n excuses... like bu+tholes, everyone has them.

feltdizz
05-01-2010, 06:49 PM

he had a wrist injury in college late in his career

the knock on Sweed in college was letting every ball get into his body and never using his hands.

SteelAbility
05-01-2010, 09:28 PM
The most important change I'm worried about - catching the ball in game situations.

Shawn
05-02-2010, 10:50 AM

he had a wrist injury in college late in his career

the knock on Sweed in college was letting every ball get into his body and never using his hands.

I watched him in college and I didn't see that as an issue. Shoot, watch his highlight reel from college and see if body catching was a problem. He dropped because of the wrist issues...not hands issues.

Shawn
05-02-2010, 10:51 AM
The amount of excuse-making on this thread is funny. And I'm sorry, I skimmed... what was the major change in his life? A jersey #?

You could maybe say he hasn't gotten the opportunities (I wouldn't; Wallace probably started with equal shots on the field; Wallace has just done a ton more with them.) Quit with the F-n excuses... like bu+tholes, everyone has them.

I personally am not making excuses for him. I do believe the guy can play at this level though. He has to show it this season or we will see him develop on another squad.