PDA

View Full Version : Small tidbit from Minicamp

costanza2k1
04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Wexell's Twitter:

Leftwich opens #Steelers minicamp as QB1. McFadden the first LCB. Will Allen snags 1st pick.

birtikidis
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
what is wexells twitter? i was trying to find him from my iphone but can't

costanza2k1
04-30-2010, 12:48 PM
what is wexells twitter? i was trying to find him from my iphone but can't

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

birtikidis
04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
thank you sir

Shawn
04-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Per Wexell- 7th rd: Doug Worthington Ohio St, a favorite 3-4 late-rd DE prospect all season.

Wexell is a sharp guy. Worthington will be the biggest surprise of our draft. He makes this team...push for serious rotation time by season 2...starter by year 3. Solid Aaron Smith like career.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Per Wexell- 7th rd: Doug Worthington Ohio St, a favorite 3-4 late-rd DE prospect all season.

Wexell is a sharp guy. Worthington will be the biggest surprise of our draft. He makes this team...push for serious rotation time by season 2...starter by year 3. Solid Aaron Smith like career.

Man, I hope so, but that's a pretty bold projection...you must really be sold on the guy.
Me, I hope he at least makes the practice squad this season...

Shawn
04-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Man, I hope so, but that's a pretty bold projection...you must really be sold on the guy.
Me, I hope he at least makes the practice squad this season...

I have little doubt. The guy is a beast. He just isn't fast or super nimble. But, what he does well is run support and does exactly what a 3-4 DE should do...and that is to allow the OLBs do what they do. OSU switched to the 3-4 this season and he knows how to play the position...and to do so at a high level. I am very impressed with Worthington...he dropped because he is a true niche 3-4 DE with little ability to pass rush.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2010, 10:46 PM
guess Pouncey is gonna have to beat Essex out...

Steelers | Trai Essex works with first team Friday

Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:19:49 -0400

Pittsburgh Steelers OL Trai Essex worked with the first-team offense at right guard during practice Friday, April 30, reports Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#642053#ixzz0mdrNjjiU

birtikidis
05-01-2010, 12:22 AM
hawaii.. you thought he was gonna come in on the first day of MINICAMP and be the starter? hell not even I thought that!

wvsteeler
05-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Wexell's twitter feed is great for following training camp in real time. I followed training camp last year on it and found it too be really informative.

birtikidis
05-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Wexell's twitter feed is great for following training camp in real time. I followed training camp last year on it and found it too be really informative.
oh awesome. I'm not a big fan of twitter, but it's cool to be able to wake up and check what's going on with ticketmaster, black label society, and my steelers.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 03:32 AM
hawaii.. you thought he was gonna come in on the first day of MINICAMP and be the starter? hell not even I thought that!

Leftwich and McFadden were installed as starters the first day of mini-camp, shouldn't they be behind Dixon and Gay on the first day of mini-camp also?

cruzer8
05-01-2010, 10:41 AM

Leftwich and McFadden were installed as starters the first day of mini-camp, shouldn't they be behind Dixon and Gay on the first day of mini-camp also?

Leftwich - Former member of the team who was brought back. Has been in the league since 2003.

McFadden - Former member of the team who was brought back. Has been in the league since 2005.

Pouncey - First time member of the team. Has been in the league for 8 days.

One of these things is not like the others..............

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 02:49 PM

Leftwich - Former member of the team who was brought back. Has been in the league since 2003.

McFadden - Former member of the team who was brought back. Has been in the league since 2005.

Leftwich - acquired by the Steelers for a 7th round draft choice.

McFadden - acquired by the Steelers for a 5th round draft choice.

Pouncey - the Steelers #1 round draft choice.

One of these players is not like the others... :)

calmkiller
05-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Common sense tells you that pouncey wouldn't be starting the first day because he knows non of the offense.

birtikidis
05-01-2010, 04:52 PM

McFadden - starting corner for arguably the greatest defense of all time. starting corner for championship team.

Leftwhich - former starter and back up for pittsburgh steelers. has in the past ran the offense that the rookie is trying to learn.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 05:01 PM

McFadden - starting corner for arguably the greatest defense of all time. starting corner for championship team.

Leftwhich - former starter and back up for pittsburgh steelers. has in the past ran the offense that the rookie is trying to learn.

McFadden - starting CB for the Arizona Cardinals where he got badly torched all season long until the Cardinals shipped him out for a 5th round draft choice in spite of the fact they have no CB depth whatsoever.

Leftwich - couldn't even keep the starting QB job for the lowly 3-13 Tampa Bay Bucs. was eventually replaced by a rookie and then shipped out for a 7th round draft choice since they were going to waive him.

Pouncey - #1 round draft choice

birtikidis
05-01-2010, 05:44 PM
hawaii, I don't know how we can argue this. seriously. you're comparing two guys who have had the opportunity practice the playbook before compared to a guy who had never even been at the practice facility for a workout with the rest of the team.
Kid has only been on the team for like a little over a week..

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
hawaii, I don't know how we can argue this. seriously. you're comparing two guys who have had the opportunity practice the playbook before compared to a guy who had never even been at the practice facility for a workout with the rest of the team.

hey, you're supposed to help me defend the Gators players! :lol: :lol:

i know what you're saying, it's just that i'm rooting for Pouncey big-time to beat Essex out this year and Hartwig the next...

birtikidis
05-01-2010, 06:22 PM

i know what you're saying, it's just that i'm rooting for Pouncey big-time to beat Essex out this year and Hartwig the next...
well, like i said, i think pouncey is the next dermonti dawson. not the next Myrone Rolle (you know, rhodes scholar). He's smart, but give him a weekend of working on it... lol

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM

well, like i said, i think pouncey is the next dermonti dawson. not the next Myrone Rolle (you know, rhodes scholar). He's smart, but give him a weekend of working on it... lol

so Essex is currently first string and Pouncey is 2nd at RG, while Legursky is first team until Hartwig returns...

so where does this leave Urbik? :stirpot

Steelers | Doug Legursky working with first team

Sat, 01 May 2010 15:15:48 -0400

Pittsburgh Steelers C Doug Legursky is working with the first-team offense at center during 11-on-11 drills because the team wants to ease C Justin Hartwig (shoulder) back into practice, according to Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#642206#ixzz0mixNCJqW

birtikidis
05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Urbik was also working at center during the OTA's. they want to get rid of legursky. you can bet on it.

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Urbik was also working at center during the OTA's. they want to get rid of legursky. you can bet on it.

i believe that one roster spot will come down to a battle between Legursky and Urbik as the C/G swingman.

also heard that Keenan Lewis and Willie Gay are running as the 2nd string CBs, that makes Joe Burnett 3rd string for now...

Harrison back with Steelers

May 1st, 2010

James Harrison is back at the Steelers’ facility and is expected to practice this afternoon.

The Pro Bowl outside linebacker missed the first three practices of mini camp because of the death of his uncle.

Mini camp practices are mandatory but Harrison received an excused absence from Mike Tomlin because of his family situation.

In other notes from Saturday morning’s practice:

— The quarterback rotation remained the same today as it was Friday: Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch.

It is too early to read much into what this means for the quarterback derby that will play out over the next six weeks. All three have had their share of good and not-so-good throws, and there is still plenty of time before Mike Tomlin has to decide which two of the three quarterbacks competing in mini camp will get the bulk of the snaps in training camp along with Ben Roethlisberger.

— This much can at least be said about Leftwich: His right arm has plenty of juice in it.

That became apparent when he overthrew wide receiver Mike Wallace, probably the fastest player on the team, on a deep ball.

Said Tomlin after Leftwich’s pass glanced off the fingertips of Wallace’s outstretched hands, “Did he just overthrow you, Mike?”

— Wide receiver Hines Ward didn’t practice this morning after hurting his hamstring yesterday morning. The injury is not serious and the Steelers are simply exercising caution with Ward, one of the last players who needs mini-camp practices.

— Kraig Urbik, the Steelers’ first third-round draft choice in 2009, is working at center and guard. With the team easing Justin Hartwig (shoulder) back into action, Doug Legursky has been playing center with the first-team offense during 11-on-11 drills.

— Rookie wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders has been getting repetitions with the second-team offense — and getting an earful from wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery.

Montgomery has stayed on Sanders, a third-round pick, during his first practices with the Steelers in what looks like a classic case of breaking down the youngster and building him back up.

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... ox+Blog%29 (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/05/01/harrison-back-with-steelers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29)