PDA

View Full Version : How will Ben handle trash talk?

RussBII
04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I dunno about you, but if I'm a bengals LB or DE I'm talking some SERIOUS smack to Mr. Roethlisberger to rattle him. Lord knows nothing else seems to rattle him, so you have to expect this.

Think he'll handle it gracefully and let his play do the talking? Or will he snap, get into fights, get penalties, fines and ejections?

Or is there a glimmer of hope that other players wouldn't use these incidents as a trash talking point?

Slapstick
04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
I'd be more worried about trash talk from Steeler fans...

cruzer8
04-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Players talk serious smack to one another all the time.

flippy
04-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Trash talking Ben will backfire.

Steelgal
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I'd be more worried about trash talk from Steeler fans...

I agree, I think the fans will give him MUCH more grief than any other player. Both Steeler fans and especially opposing teams (AFCN, the most) will chant things from the stands. If they were chanting "No means no" during the draft, can you imagine how much worse it could get at games???? The only thing that might shut them up is a few TDs....

phillyesq
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm sure Ben will hear some trash talk, but if this sick SOB ever gets a chance in the NFL, he'll here some serious (and well-deserved) trash talk:

Tony Washington still waits
Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2010 6:17 PM ET
Before the draft, reports emerged that one of the best prospects in the pool, Tony Washington, had been convicted at age 16 of having sex with his biological sister. He spent two weeks in jail and, more importantly, is a registered sex offender.

Coincidentally (or not), the Abilene Christian tackle has been regarded as radioactive by the NFL, despite being viewed as a Day Two prospect.

But Washington wasn't drafted at all. Since Saturday, he hasn't even received an offer to sign with a team as an undrafted free agent.

"I'm in complete shock," agent Vann McElroy told Darren Rovell of CNBC. "I feel so bad for this kid. This is something that happened seven years ago and, probably because of the [Ben] Roethlisberger situation, he hasn't been called."

Frankly, we think the situation has a greater connection to the Dez Bryant situation. It's widely believed in league circles that Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland asked Bryant if his mother was a prostitute because Bryant inevitably will face similar (and worse) comments on the field and in the locker room.

Multiply that dynamic by 1,000 as to Tony Washington.

Then there's the reality that teams simply don't want to employ a guy who had sex with his sister. "Disgusting" was the word from one team before the draft. So while football talent ordinarily knows no discrimination, football coaches apparently have yet to embrace the notion of looking the other way when it comes to registered sex offenders.

Whether or not it's fair doesn't matter. Regardless of the specific reason for their aversion, Washington's past conduct lands in territory into which no NFL team is willing to throw a lifeline.

"We spent hours of our time, providing letters, testimonials from people to tell this kid's story," McElroy told Rovell. "It isn't like he's some pervert hanging around in the bushes. He's a good kid who screwed up, who since then was accepted by the board and admitted to one of the most conservative colleges out there. . . . Someone should give this kid a chance."

Eventually, someone will. If a grown man who was a convicted dogfighter and admitted dog killer deserves a second chance, a kid who did something really stupid does, too.

Shawn
04-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Short, sweet and great post. That is exactly what will happen. Unless this recent incident broke Ben's spirit...this kind of thing will have him lighting teams up for 350 yards on a regular basis.

costanza2k1
04-30-2010, 03:10 PM
I hope you and flippy are right. Eventually the boos from his own fans are going to break him down. I mean Steelers fans are ready to yank him when holds the ball too much how are they going to react now that he's know for holding on to girls too much. Another question might be, how will fans react to other fans in the stadium when the boos get to be too much...IMPLOSION. Thanks Ben.

Slapstick
04-30-2010, 03:15 PM
I hope you and flippy are right. Eventually the boos from his own fans are going to break him down. I mean Steelers fans are ready to yank him when holds the ball too much how are they going to react now that he's know for holding on to girls too much. Another question might be, how will fans react to other fans in the stadium when the boos get to be too much...IMPLOSION. Thanks Ben.

I blame Ben for making poor decisions...

I don't blame him for fans being stupid...that's on them...

costanza2k1
04-30-2010, 03:27 PM

I blame Ben for making poor decisions...

I agree, they have to remember they're fans of the team not just Ben. It's cool to have favorites like Farrior, but when you start hating certain players and show it during a game it defeats the purpose of being a fan of the team.

ghettoscott
04-30-2010, 03:58 PM

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
On the other hand...

How will Ben's best friends on the team, the o-linemen...mean ol' S.O.B.'s like Willie Colon and Chris Kemoeatu...respond when some loudmouth linebacker or d-lineman is bad-mouthing their QB?

Ben can't react to taunts of opposing players physically, but the brutes in front of him can take it out on those guys who choose diss their boy. Befriending the o-lineman may have been the smartest thing that Ben has done.

ghettoscott
04-30-2010, 04:31 PM
cant recall if it is the 05 DVD or where the heck i saw it...but Ben says that he just winks at players when they trash talk, that he doesnt get involved in the back-and-forth. his best bet is to just ignore it....

Steel Life
04-30-2010, 05:14 PM
I can see it now "Hey Ben! You like to have sex with girls!"

Ben's response - "Uh...yeah."

SS Laser
04-30-2010, 05:18 PM
[quote="Steel Life"]I can see it now "Hey Ben! You like to Rape girls!"

There I fixed it for ya! I am sure it will be worse then that!

skyhawk
04-30-2010, 08:07 PM
I don't know if you guys remember but guys tried to rattle and trash talk him when he was a rookie. He would just wink at them and move on. Awesome!!!

skyhawk
04-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Also, I bet there won't be much trash talking about that from the players. They ALL know it could be them NEXT (just like an injury).

Shoe
04-30-2010, 10:15 PM

Short, sweet and great post. That is exactly what will happen. Unless this recent incident broke Ben's spirit...this kind of thing will have him lighting teams up for 350 yards on a regular basis.

Yup, it seems pretty clear that Ben's the type who lives for opportunities to shut people up. That's why I think this could bode well for us on the field, if Ben truly has learned his lessons.

Best case scenario would be him taking this as motivation, and wanting to stick it to everybody when he returns.