PDA

View Full Version : 3-4, 4-3...Is There REALLY That Big of A Difference?

Slapstick
04-30-2010, 09:57 AM
The reason I ask is this:

Thaddeus Gibson and Doug Worthington...

Both of these players played in the OSU defense which is obstensibly a 4-3...but, Worthington played both DE and DT...Gibson was the "Leo" DE, which has had the player standing up as much as putting his hand on the ground since Will Smith in 2002...

It isn't alignment as much as assignments...

Thoughts?

cruzer8
04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Only in the base defense.

Our defense runs so many hybrid formations it's scary. Sometimes Keisel is the only D lineman on the field.

ikestops85
04-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Our defense runs so many hybrid formations it's scary. Sometimes Keisel is the only D lineman on the field.

Bingo!! The entire premise of our defense is to confuse people on who is doing what. Of course that makes it very complicated. :stirpot

RussBII
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
The reason I ask is this:

Thaddeus Gibson and Doug Worthington...

Both of these players played in the OSU defense which is obstensibly a 4-3...but, Worthington played both DE and DT...Gibson was the "Leo" DE, which has had the player standing up as much as putting his hand on the ground since Will Smith in 2002...

It isn't alignment as much as assignments...

Thoughts?

I think back in the day the alignment tipped the other team off to what the assignments were. Nowadays, with the athletes we have at LB there's no telling whose going where or doing what. They could line up single file and it would be just as easy to read as a base 3-4 defense on a heavy Zone blitz team like us.

birtikidis
04-30-2010, 01:49 PM

Bingo!! The entire premise of our defense is to confuse people on who is doing what. Of course that makes it very complicated. :stirpot
a couple games last year, we confused the wrong team...