PDA

View Full Version : Worst 3rd Round Pick

Oviedo
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Chris Steuber from Scouts.com is not a fan of Sanders. I think he is off base about the sustem. The kids don't pick what system they play in. Everything I have read about him indicates he could be a very effective slot receiver. I hope this kind of stuff motivates this kid.

Worst Third Round Pick

Emmanuel Sanders, WR, SMU (drafted by Pittsburgh, 82nd overall)

I wasn’t as high on Emmanuel Sanders as a lot of people were leading up to the draft. It’s obvious that he has talent, but he comes from an offense that’s supposed to put up virtual reality numbers, and the 98 receptions for 1,339 yards and seven touchdowns he posted this past season were a reflection of the system. Sanders performed and tested well at the East-West Shrine Game and Scouting Combine, but it was surprising to see the Steelers take him over players like Eric Decker (Minnesota), Taylor Price (Ohio) or even Andre Roberts (Citadel). The player that I compare Sanders with, and Steelers fans won’t like this comparison, is Steelers 1999 first round bust Troy Edwards. Sorry for the downer, Pittsburgh.

frankthetank1
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
i hate the argument it's all the "system" the guy still made the catches. maybe his numbers are inflated but if he was on a more balanced offense he would of still put up good numbers. i am really happy we got sanders and didnt draft tate. i was pretty worried that tate was going to be a steeler

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I sure hope Steuber is off the mark about Sanders. We don't need another miss in the line of Troy Edwards, Willie Reid, etc.

birtikidis
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I sure hope Steuber is off the mark about Sanders. We don't need another miss in the line of Troy Edwards, Willie Reid, etc.
I think Edwards could have been a good reciever. I think if we would have taken him in the third round he would have been on the roster longer. unfortunately paying him 1st round money for the production expected from a 3rd rounder cost him his job here...

Sugar
04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't think that Edwards was a bad receiver- just not a first round WR. He also didn't have Hines Ward to coach him up either.

birtikidis
04-30-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think that Edwards was a bad receiver- just not a first round WR. He also didn't have Hines Ward to coach him up either.
yea that's what I'm saying. he may have stuck around if he were a later round pick. just too much money and not enough production.

Sugar
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
yea that's what I'm saying. he may have stuck around if he were a later round pick. just too much money and not enough production.

IDK if Edwards could block or not, but it sure looks like Sanders can. That is a very important part of a Steelers WR's game, IMO.

NW Steeler
04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Sorry, but I don't remember Edwards ever doing anything after he was released. Did he stick with another team? I kind of liked that big WR from the Citadel, but not in R3. I would have preferred to see them draft a bigger WR that could de-cleat some opposition.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Sorry, but I don't remember Edwards ever doing anything after he was released. Did he stick with another team? I kind of liked that big WR from the Citadel, but not in R3. I would have preferred to see them draft a bigger WR that could de-cleat some opposition.

Season Team Receiving Rushing Fumbles
G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2005 Detroit Lions 3 0 2 15 7.5 8 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2004 Jacksonville Jaguars 16 4 50 533 10.7 36 1 2 2 1.0 2 0 3 2
2003 Jacksonville Jaguars 13 11 35 487 13.9 84T 3 3 -9 -3.0 4 0 -- --
2002 St. Louis Rams 14 0 18 157 8.7 48 2 3 21 7.0 27 0 1 1
2001 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 0 19 283 14.9 57 0 5 28 5.6 12T 1 1 1
2000 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 1 18 215 11.9 27 0 3 4 1.3 15 0 1 1
1999 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 6 61 714 11.7 41 5 -- -- -- -- -- 4 1
TOTAL 203 2,404 11.8 84 11 16 46 2.9 27 1 10 6

NW Steeler
04-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks Ruthless! Now I DO remember him with the Jags. He had a pretty decent rookie year here, I wonder why his numbers fell off so bad after that?

flippy
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM

IDK if Edwards could block or not, but it sure looks like Sanders can. That is a very important part of a Steelers WR's game, IMO.

He blocked his tail off toward the end of his stint with the Steelers. He sprung a couple big plays.

But he cost us big time.

I'm hoping Sanders is Steve Smith II.

Slapstick
04-30-2010, 03:13 PM
It would not shock me if Sanders took some time to develop in the NFL...

I'm sure he has the will and the wherewithal to succeed, but not coming from a pro style offense may hurt him...

There are examples of WRs from June Jones' offense succeeding immediately (Davone Bess comes to mind) but I wouldn't be surprised if he took some time to adjust...there are more Limas Sweeds than there are Mike Wallaces...

Oviedo
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM

I am friends with some Citadel alumni. They are not high on their WR.

Shoe
04-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Who is this writer? I haven't seen much of this Sanders kid, but Troy Edwards was built more like a small RB than a WR (more angular body type). Sanders has that type. Sanders seems more a Ernie Givens (former Oiler WR) than a little RB. This dude is just comparing production at the college level, which I agree... is very similar to Edwards.

Captain Lemming
05-01-2010, 01:26 AM
There are examples of WRs from June Jones' offense succeeding immediately (Davone Bess comes to mind).

As a Hawaii fan let me tell you that Bess is extremely "quick" just as Sanders is, but he is not nearly as "fast". Bess times rather slow for a receiver. Not very tall, he has a similar height as Sanders but is stockier.

Knowing that Bess has been a productive guy, makes me completely dismiss any Sanders bashing.