PDA

View Full Version : No winners in Ben Roethlisberger’s case

fordfixer
04-30-2010, 01:42 AM
No winners in Ben Roethlisberger’s case
The second charge of sexual assault offers no closure for fans or the parties involved

Charles Westerman

The Daily Evergreen
http://www.dailyevergreen.com/story/31832
Published: 04/30/2010

Anyone who has picked up a sports page in the past month has seen Ben Roethlisberger’s name come up quite a bit in the headlines.

He has been charged of sexual assault for the second time during his tenure as the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback.

Roethlisberger’s case is the most upsetting story attached to a sports star in recent memory.

Michael Vick did terrible things, but as much as I love animals, they are not people. Tiger Woods may visit more beds than the tooth fairy, but at least he had an invitation.

What is so heartbreaking about the Roethlisberger case is, unlike Vick and Woods, there is no satisfying closure to the story.

We’ve heard first-hand confessions of the crimes of Woods and Vick. We’ve seen them suffer the consequences for their actions, and we can then hope for their redemption (both seem well on their way).

However, the Roethlisberger incident leaves us with more questions than an online compatibility survey.

Did he do it? If he is innocent, why does he keep putting himself in these situations? If he did do it and is still playing football, how do I even justify letting him entertain me on my television on Sunday afternoon?

Steeler fans have been put between a rock and a hard place. The fact that we will never fully know what happened that night in Georgia is what makes this story just plain awful and sad.

If we assume Roethlisberger is guilty, then how do sports fans sleep at night knowing that a man (Vick) got sent to prison for animal cruelty for two years, but a guy who violates women only has to sit out for six, silly football games.

If Roethlisberger is guilty and wins another Super Bowl, as far as I’m concerned, the whole sport of football has also been molested.

Yet, if he’s innocent, the story is equally as tragic.

If he’s innocent, the woman who accused him of this crime has severely damaged Roethlisberger’s reputation, if not completely destroyed it. Most sports fans will never fully be convinced of his innocence.

If she’s lying, she is the offender. She will have assaulted him in a less violent, but in an equally damaging way.

While this story seems hopeless, maybe good can come from it.

It can raise awareness for both men and women of the seriousness and direness of sexual assault or falsely accusing someone of sexual assault.

Earlier this year, we saw the effects of false accusations on this very campus.

Maybe it will get society to stop preaching the message, “if you’re the star quarterback, you have the right to sleep with whomever you want.” The whole idea of sports is to take a break from the ugliness of the world

skyhawk
04-30-2010, 02:45 AM
Great article. Great points.

:HeadBanger

Shawn
04-30-2010, 05:27 AM
I actually think that was a decent article. He might be one of the few willing to tread upon the "what if the girl is lying" path. That seems to have been taboo in the media.

HeHateMe
04-30-2010, 07:57 AM
I actually think that was a decent article. He might be one of the few willing to tread upon the "what if the girl is lying" path. That seems to have been taboo in the media.

How come Ben is the ONLY Athlete being "lied" on? Twice. There hasn't been another athete in the History of sports to have this misfortune. I could be wrong because there are always exceptions to the rule. But do you guys HONESTLY think that Ben is getting "lied" on? If it was Carson Palmer with 2 sexual assaults in a year would you believe him?
Of course you would lol

frankthetank1
04-30-2010, 10:24 AM

How come Ben is the ONLY Athlete being "lied" on? Twice. There hasn't been another athete in the History of sports to have this misfortune. I could be wrong because there are always exceptions to the rule. But do you guys HONESTLY think that Ben is getting "lied" on? If it was Carson Palmer with 2 sexual assaults in a year would you believe him?
Of course you would lol

uh didnt kobe get off for sexual assault because the girl set him up? bettis was also accused of sexual assault. he obviously didnt do anything so people do lie. especially when the guy is worth 100 million. that puts a huge target on his back. he should be smarter and make better decisions but he is a 28 year old guy. he isnt a murderer or anything. all he is really guilty of imo is wanting to get a nut. thats really not that bad

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-30-2010, 10:30 AM

Of course you would lol

Every situation is different and has it's own scenario. The fact is that he has not been charged in either of these cases after investigations both times - and lets not throw out the "well if you have money you can do anything and they will cover it up for you" argument without any basis for it.

I'm also sure that this is not the first time that an athlete has been in a situation where an accuser was lying.....it even happened to Ben's pal Jerome Bettis.

And as for the Carson question.....I'm thinking that he is not dumb enough to put himself in a situation like the Georgia incident.

RussBII
04-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Of course you would lol

Every situation is different and has it's own scenario. The fact is that he has not been charged in either of these cases after investigations both times - and lets not throw out the "well if you have money you can do anything and they will cover it up for you" argument without any basis for it.

I'm also sure that this is not the first time that an athlete has been in a situation where an accuser was lying.....it even happened to Ben's pal Jerome Bettis.

And as for the Carson question.....I'm thinking that he is not dumb enough to put himself in a situation like the Georgia incident.

I think this whole "Is she lying/Did ben do it" scenario really comes down to how much you believe in the justice system...

If you believe the system works, then Ben is innocent, case closed.
If you don't believe the system works, then you can draw whatever conclusion you like.

So this of course opens this up to a much larger debate that i don't have the time or energery for. I just hope nothing ELSE comes to light and we can attempt to move on and somehow learn to deal with the jeers of our opponent's fans.

phillyesq
04-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Of course you would lol

I think this whole "Is she lying/Did ben do it" scenario really comes down to how much you believe in the justice system...

If you believe the system works, then Ben is innocent, case closed.
If you don't believe the system works, then you can draw whatever conclusion you like.

So this of course opens this up to a much larger debate that i don't have the time or energery for. I just hope nothing ELSE comes to light and we can attempt to move on and somehow learn to deal with the jeers of our opponent's fans.

This can lead to some deep discussions of the goals of our justice system. Is it better that 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man go to jail?

I liked this article -- pretty well balanced from both sides.

birtikidis
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Of course you would lol

I don't think Palmer would assault a woman.. I mean, didn't you see how he eats a sausage?

birtikidis
04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
this kinda reminds me of the Duke lacrosse (i think it was lacrosse) team and situation. I honestly think Ben is innocent. Some people want the easy way out, ben just has a really hard time differentiating the gold diggers from the rest.
I'm wondering, what happens if she was lying and admits it? would the whole sports world apologize to ben? would his reputation still be tarnished (I think so)?
I know it would never happen since she would get in trouble for filing a false police report, but...

Steel Life
04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Some important points for clarification...

1. Vick didn't just go to jail for animal cruelty, he was convicted of racketeering.
2. Ben hasn't disputed the fact he had sex with the woman in Nevada, he has issue with her version of the story.

skyhawk
04-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Some important points for clarification...

1. Vick didn't just go to jail for animal cruelty, he was convicted of racketeering.
2. Ben hasn't disputed the fact he had sex with the woman in Nevada, he has issue with her version of the story.

Mom always said it is always better to tell the truth when something happens. Not.

feltdizz
05-01-2010, 12:12 AM
this kinda reminds me of the Duke lacrosse (i think it was lacrosse) team and situation. I honestly think Ben is innocent. Some people want the easy way out, ben just has a really hard time differentiating the gold diggers from the rest.
I'm wondering, what happens if she was lying and admits it? would the whole sports world apologize to ben? would his reputation still be tarnished (I think so)?
I know it would never happen since she would get in trouble for filing a false police report, but...
Like the title says... there are no winners.

What if Ben did it? Then you are defending and cheering a rapist....
What if she is lying? Then Ben has his rep torn to pieces....

I can't defend Ben in this one though, he may be innocent of the crime but he is guilty of putting his rep on the line and forcing us to choose. The first one was easy... this one has a WTF element to it.

Again... Ben is responsible for protecting his rep and he has to stop putting his rep in women he doesn't know.