PDA

View Full Version : More Kiper thoughts on our draft

costanza2k1
04-28-2010, 12:27 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... s+Box+Blog (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/04/27/kiper-weighs-in-on-steelers-draft/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+triblive/blog/ViewFromThePressBox+(View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog) )

View From The Press Box

Kiper weighs in on Steelers' draft
April 27th, 2010
I haven’t had a chance to see many draft “grades,” which annoy me more than rush-hour traffic, but that is another blog for another day. I did get a chance to ask ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. on Monday his thoughts on the Steelers’ draft and he had some interesting things to say.

The one thing jumped out is Kiper’s belief that the Steelers got quality as well as quantity out of the draft. He said all 10 of the Steelers’ draft picks have a good chance of making the team's 53-man roster.

“I’d say at the end of the day, all these kids play in the league for somebody, if not for the Steelers, it’s going to be for somebody,” Kiper said.

Here are some other observations he made about the Steelers’ draft.

— He applauded their choice of center/guard Maurkice Pouncey with their first-round pick, No. 18 overall.

“There was talk that he could go a little earlier,” Kiper said. “Very intelligent kid. Great character. At the end of the day he’s going to give them that physically inside presence.”

— Kiper said second- and fourth-round picks Jason Worildes and Thaddeus Gibson are “classic” 3-4 outside linebackers. Both will make the transition from defensive end to linebacker with the Steelers, something 2008 third-round pick Bruce Davis couldn’t do.

— Kiper indicated that the success of the Steelers’ draft could hinge on third-round pick Emmanuel Sanders

“There’s going to be a lot of expected from Emmanuel Sanders,” Kiper said. “He caught the ball in that June Jone’s offense on the SMU teams that really turned it around this past year. He was the key element in that offense.”

-- Kiper said cornerback Crezdon Butler, a fifth-round pick, could eventually become a starter with the Steelers

“Butler could be your third, fourth, fifth defensive back in that rotation as a reserve (this season) and can help you down the road maybe more than that,” Kiper said.

— Don’t dismiss defensive end Doug Worthington as an afterthought, Kiper said, even though the Steelers took the Ohio State product late in the seventh round.

“I think he’ll make the team,” Kiper said. “Hustler, had a very productive year with the Buckeyes.”

Pahn711
04-28-2010, 12:39 AM
I dunno, maybe I'm way off base here, but it seems to me that Kiper puts a positive spin on just about every player drafted.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-28-2010, 12:51 AM
I like reading this - hope he's right!! :tt1 :tt2

Shawn
04-28-2010, 01:10 AM
I like the props to Worthington. 7th rounder who I believe will surprise some people.

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2010, 02:22 AM
i hope this Mel prediction is more accurate than his prediction of Jimmy Clausen being drafted in the top 10. :wft

Clausen was drafted at #48... :roll:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-28-2010, 09:25 AM
I like the props to Worthington. 7th rounder who I believe will surprise some people.

No 7th rounder will ever play DE in the Steelers 3-4 D.....

Oh yeah, Keisel..........

Nevermind

aggiebones
04-28-2010, 10:39 AM
So 10 new rookies and a bunch of new (old) FA re-acquisitions:
Either many of these players won't make it or we'll have alot of guys from last years 53 cleaning out their lockers.
What's the normal turnover from one season to the next?

NW Steeler
04-28-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't know how many of you saw the AFC North draft review on NFLN last night, but those guys all gushed over Worilds, Gibson AND Sylvester (as well as Pouncey). I was definitely scratching my head during the draft, but maybe all these LB picks make some sense. There was 36 LB's taken in the draft and we took 3 of them! Lombardi thinks Worilds will see spot duty this year and all 3 will excel on special teams. It was even mentioned that Sylvester will be a good player in the middle. A lot of depth and insurance in case Harrison's play falls off, or if for some reason we cannot re-sign Woodley ( I certainly hope we can). I think we had a really good draft with once again, an eye on the future.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Maybe the Steelers noticed Woodley & Harrison tiring on the pass rush in the 4th quarter and these new OLB will be able to step in and give them breathers from time to time. Same with Hood giving Smith & Keisel breathers so they are fresher come the 4th quarter, where we collapsed on defense last year.

Oviedo
04-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Either many of these players won't make it or we'll have alot of guys from last years 53 cleaning out their lockers.

I think since Tomlin took over the average turnover has been about 8-9. Keep in mind they have already dumped FWP, Kirschke, Eason, Townsend, Ty Carter, Santonio and Carey Davis so that is 7 open slots already. But they added ARE, Will Allen , Bmac, and Larry Foote to take 4 of those already. I don't think Arnaz Battle is a sure bet to make the team.

I think we could see at least two of the three back up LBs gone (Harrison, Frazier and Bailey). I also think Logan is a goner.

Competition at camp is going to be intense. Guys who don't show up ready are going to be gone.

NW Steeler
04-28-2010, 12:32 PM

I think since Tomlin took over the average turnover has been about 8-9. Keep in mind they have already dumped FWP, Kirschke, Eason, Townsend, Ty Carter, Santonio and Carey Davis so that is 7 open slots already. But they added ARE, Will Allen , Bmac, and Larry Foote to take 4 of those already. I don't think Arnaz Battle is a sure bet to make the team.

I think we could see at least two of the three back up LBs gone (Harrison, Frazier and Bailey). I also think Logan is a goner.

Competition at camp is going to be intense. Guys who don't show up ready are going to be gone.

Good. No complacency allowed this year.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Good. No coplacency allowed this year.

I will love it if there is true competition...not BS competition just to push the guys they really want to keep regardless of performance. Wonder what will go down with the RB/FB/TE competition. We have Mendenhall, Moore, Dwyer, Redman, Summers, David Johnson, McHugh, Spaeth, UDFA huge FB we signed, Heath......WR is another one that will be interesting. I think regardless of what El shows up like or looks like he is in, Battle not so sure.

Oviedo
04-28-2010, 12:56 PM
[quote=aggiebones]So 10 new rookies and a bunch of new (old) FA re-acquisitions:

Good. No coplacency allowed this year.

I will love it if there is true competition...not BS competition just to push the guys they really want to keep regardless of performance. Wonder what will go down with the RB/FB/TE competition. We have Mendenhall, Moore, Dwyer, Redman, Summers, David Johnson, McHugh, Spaeth, UDFA huge FB we signed, Heath......WR is another one that will be interesting. I think regardless of what El shows up like or looks like he is in, Battle not so sure.[/quote:2p8px8xv]

RB: Dwyer, Summers and Redman will battle for the #3 and #4 RB positions. IMO Redman loses unless Dwyer or Summers get hurt. Summers has advantage over Redman because Summers can play FB.

TE/FB: Johnson, McHugh, Spaeth and rookie FB battle for spots. The only way I see the rookie FB making it is if he shows something really good on Special Teams. If Not the rookie FB is sent to Practice Squad. Remember that McHugh showed great performance as lead blocker in the Super Bowl run.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2010, 01:45 PM

Nick Eason was brought back about 2 weeks ago.

MicroBioSteel
04-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Maybe the Steelers noticed Woodley & Harrison tiring on the pass rush in the 4th quarter and these new OLB will be able to step in and give them breathers from time to time. Same with Hood giving Smith & Keisel breathers so they are fresher come the 4th quarter, where we collapsed on defense last year.

:Bow Very astute comment. Depth and fresh capable athletes available in the 4th quarter will go a long way to preventing late game let downs. Combine this with the recent Rooney decree that rookies contribute faster and we could see some platoon situations. I think Woodley and Harrison were especially ineffective late in games this past year because of the fact that they were being held so much with no calls for the first 3 quarters.

flippy
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
With all of these players on offense, I wonder if BA will insist on 2-3 TE sets so often?