PDA

View Full Version : Terms of McFadden's Extension

phillyesq
04-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Bryant McFadden gets $7.5 million over three years
Posted by Mike Florio on April 27, 2010 8:14 PM ET
Cornerback Bryant McFadden signed a two-year deal in 2009 with the Cardinals. The contract was due to pay the 16-game starter $4.75 million in 2010.

On Saturday, he was traded back to his former team, the Steelers. Talks already were underway regarding an extension.

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reported earlier today (and we have since confirmed) that a new deal has been reached, at a value of $7.5 million over three years.

So why the reduction from a $4.75 million salary and a return to free agency in 2011 for a three-year deal at $2.5 million per year? As we understand it, the alternative for McFadden was getting cut -- and the Steelers worked with the Cardinals and McFadden's camp to get a deal done on terms favorable to the team.

This is great - very reasonable deal for the Steelers. When you consider that the Steelers got a fifth round comp pick for losing McFadden, and received a 6th with him in the trade, this is a great deal for the Steelers.

They gave up a year of his service, but saved a lot of money and broke even or came out slightly ahead on the picks.

SteelerNation1
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Great news...great deal...Now, please play like it's 2008

Steelgal
04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Great deal for us, definately!!!

Pahn711
04-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I love it, beats the hell out of drafting another CB who sits on the bench a few years.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Great news...great deal...Now, please play better than you did in 2008

Fixed that for you. :lol:

SteelerNation1
04-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Great news...great deal...Now, please play better than you did in 2008

Fixed that for you. :lol:
He was good in 2008. He was fantastic in that early season Eagles game. Then, he got hurt in the Cincy game IIRC. That kinda opened the door for Gay...which everyone now wishes would've slammed on his foot. :lol:

steeler_george
04-28-2010, 06:19 AM
I am glad he is back, but I don't think he is that much better than Gay. Gay was a victim of playing with out Troy and relying on Carter & Clark to get his back.

Best part of his signing, better nickle back than Deshae would be this year and that the FO did not give up on the young DBs from last year.

SteelerNation1
04-28-2010, 09:00 AM
I am glad he is back, but I don't think he is that much better than Gay. Gay was a victim of playing with out Troy and relying on Carter & Clark to get his back.

Best part of his signing, better nickle back than Deshae would be this year and that the FO did not give up on the young DBs from last year.
I've said it 100 times. This team NEEDS one of the two CBs from last year to step up. If either Lewis or Burnett can play, we will be fine in the secondary.

frankthetank1
04-28-2010, 10:50 AM

the whole entire defense was playing without troy. so is it safe to say that harrison's drop in production was due to troy as well? farrior also had a down year and looked slow, was that because troy wasn't playing? it should not matter who is healthy and who isnt. players still are responsible for doing their job.

when a wr is running a deep route and gay is relying on carter and clark then gay is not to blame. no one blames those type of plays on gay. it was the 4-7 passes a game completed to his man 10 or less yeards down the field. gay didnt tackle well last year and when ever he tried to break a pass up he would slip and fall half the time. Bmac is a significant upgrade over gay

SteelerNation1
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM

the whole entire defense was playing without troy. so is it safe to say that harrison's drop in production was due to troy as well? farrior also had a down year and looked slow, was that because troy wasn't playing? it should not matter who is healthy and who isnt. players still are responsible for doing their job.

when a wr is running a deep route and gay is relying on carter and clark then gay is not to blame. no one blames those type of plays on gay. it was the 4-7 passes a game completed to his man 10 or less yeards down the field. gay didnt tackle well last year and when ever he tried to break a pass up he would slip and fall half the time. Bmac is a significant upgrade over gay
I agree frank, but w/ Troy in the lineup, scheme-wise, we are a totally diff team. We can run so many different plays. He is so versatile that you can put him anywhere. Just the confusion factor alone is huge.

Oviedo
04-28-2010, 11:21 AM

I agree frank, but w/ Troy in the lineup, scheme-wise, we are a totally diff team. We can run so many different plays. He is so versatile that you can put him anywhere. Just the confusion factor alone is huge.

While I agree about the impact of Troy, does anyone think Troy is a 16 game player going forward? I'm not confident. This team needs to learn to play without Troy or the scheme needs to be adjusted to make it executable at a high level when he is out. Maybe Will Allen is a significant enough of an upgrade over Ty Carter that he will make a difference but we can't afford to have a defense that falls apart with the absence of one player.

SteelerNation1
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
While I agree about the impact of Troy, does anyone think Troy is a 16 game player going forward? I'm not confident. This team needs to learn to play without Troy or the scheme needs to be adjusted to make it executable at a high level when he is out. Maybe Will Allen is a significant enough of an upgrade over Ty Carter that he will make a difference but we can't afford to have a defense that falls apart with the absence of one player.

Ov,

Here are Polamalu's career stats:

YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2003 PIT 16 38 30 8 4 2.0 1 0 0 0 0
2004 PIT 16 96 67 29 15 1.0 1 0 5 58 1
2005 PIT 16 91 73 18 8 3.0 1 0 2 42 0
2006 PIT 13 77 58 19 10 1.0 1 0 3 51 0
2007 PIT 11 58 45 13 9 0.0 3 0 0 0 0
2008 PIT 16 73 54 19 17 0.0 0 0 7 59 0
2009 PIT 5 20 18 2 7 0.0 0 0 3 17 0
Career 93 453 345 108 70 7.0 7 0 20 227 1

He's missed 19 games in his career. All of those coming in the last 4 years. The 3 years he didn't miss a game (04, 05, 08) the Steelers have a combined 38-10 record w/ 2 SB's and an AFCCG appearance. :shock: In the seasons he's missed multiple games the Steelers are 27-21 w/ one wildcard appearance. I sure hope he doesn't miss any more games in 2010 and beyond!

aggiebones
04-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Actually I do blame Harrison's mediocre year on lack of Troy.
Troy makes a QB hold the ball that extra .5 seconds. Without Troy, he doesn't worry as much about Taylor, random CB X or Clark. Everyone is affected slightly, thus dragging the whole team down abit. Would Ward be a little affected if Ben got hurt (suspended) and we went with Batch? Of course. Would the running game suffer a bit because of this? Yes. You take out the controller of offense or defense and it hurts a team. By the same token, removing Harrison may make Troy look less super human. Without the filthy pass rush, Troy must plan on holding out longer.