PDA

View Full Version : My Dwyer Scouting Report

Shawn
04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
I pulled up as much video as I could on the guy. The running back position is my favorite to scout...and I think we may have a very solid pick up.

Pros: Runs low with a solid base. He is not easily knocked off balance. He shows terrific patience allowing blocks to set up and explodes through holes with intensity. Defenders at the next level will not be able to arm tackle him. He shows enough power to blow up poor tackling defenders. He plays MUCH faster than he was clocked at the combine. If someone asked me to guess his 40 based off of tape I would have guessed 4.5 flat. I believe his vision to be above average. His production was elite. He has nice power moves including a brutal stiff arm. Looks like the definition of power back.

Cons: Looks awkward trying to make people miss in the open field. He uses a 4th grade juke that won't work in the NFL. He needs to stick to his power moves even in the open field to excel. Looks awkward trying to catch the ball. Certainly not a natural pass catching running back. He gained alot of yardage due to offense design. Many times he was running through holes you could drive a tank through.

Overall: I believe he will be a terrific niche running back in the pros. He should be a terrific short yardage back and an above average #2. His ceiling could be higher if he develops and can work on rounding out his game.

TD386Steel
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I like him alot. He remind ME of Maurice Jones-Drew. I went to ytube and watched about every video I could find of him. He's got a great blind of power, vision, speed, and mobility. He ran over a few people and when he finds the open field does a great job of making safties and corners miss. I'm pretty excited about him.

skyhawk
04-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I think one of his only cons that made him drop in the draft (other than weight and medicine issues) is lack of skill in blocking.

He was primarily an up back and never needed to block. In the NFL this is an imperative skill that hopefully he can learn. :tt1

I also think he will be used in 3rd down situations later in the season in place of Mewelde Moore.

steelblood
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I like him alot. He remind ME of Maurice Jones-Drew. I went to ytube and watched about every video I could find of him. He's got a great blind of power, vision, speed, and mobility. He ran over a few people and when he finds the open field does a great job of making safties and corners miss. I'm pretty excited about him.

Jones Drew? Besides the fact that they both run with power and have big thighs. I don't think they are very similar. Jones Drew has elite agility and change of direction, Dwyer is a one cut, downhill thumper.

steelblood
04-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Jones Drew? Besides the fact that they both run with power and have big thighs. I don't think they are very similar. Jones Drew has elite agility and change of direction, Dwyer is a one cut, downhill thumper.

Shawn
04-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Yeah...I'm not sure I would go the Drew Jones route. More like Brandon Jacobs with more speed to me.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Yeah...I'm not sure I would go the Drew Jones route. More like Brandon Jacobs with more speed to me.

I wouldn't compare Dwyer with Brandon Jacobs either, Dwyer is nowhere near the physical runner Jacobs was in his prime.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Daily Show then?

Lebsteel
04-27-2010, 04:26 PM

My first thought was Emmitt Smith. To me, he looks like a clone of Emmitt, not elite speed, but just sneaky fast with lots of power.

flippy
04-27-2010, 04:39 PM
He runs like Willie Parker except he's bigger and slower.

Seems ok running straight ahead but seems to lack lateral agility.

I thought he ran a little upright.

SteelCrazy
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
To me he looks like Marion Barber running the ball, same exact style.....

Shawn
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
To me he looks like Marion Barber running the ball, same exact style.....

Alot of different opinions but I agree...Barber is a good comparison. As for flippy saying he runs upright...ehh not from what I seen.

Discipline of Steel
04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I think one of his only cons that made him drop in the draft (other than weight and medicine issues) is lack of skill in blocking.

He was primarily an up back and never needed to block. In the NFL this is an imperative skill that hopefully he can learn. :tt1

I also think he will be used in 3rd down situations later in the season in place of Mewelde Moore.

If he cant pass block, why would he be in there on 3rd downs? Except for, of course, 3rd and 1. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :Beer

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2010, 06:03 PM

If he cant pass block, why would he be in there on 3rd downs? Except for, of course, 3rd and 1. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :Beer

I would rather have Mendy run the ball on 3rd and 1 than Dwyer.

Chadman
04-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Chadman sees Barry Foster.... :D

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2010, 06:55 PM

let's hope he doesn't draw any Bam Morris comparisons...

http://www.steelertribute.com/bam_morris.jpg

skyhawk
04-27-2010, 07:38 PM

As Obi Wan said it, "He will leearn..."

skyhawk
04-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Yes, me too.

And throw a little Frank Pollard in there too... :wink: :shock:

Mister Pittsburgh
04-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Reminds me of a young Mewelde Moore with Willie Parkers receiving abilities.

Redman will outshine Dwyer....

Captain Lemming
04-28-2010, 09:44 AM

As Obi Wan said it, "He will leearn..."

I'm with disciplline on this. At least Mend can catch, a very good receiver in fact, he can work on his blocking. Dwyer has NO third down skill set except as a runner on 3rd and short.

I see Dwyer in the "Bettis" role, when Willie was first made the starter. Perfect.

frankthetank1
04-28-2010, 10:41 AM

that is a joke. no way redman makes the 53 over Dwyer. most big backs are not the best at catching passes. bettis was a rare exception. blocking is very easy to learn for a RB

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2010, 12:18 PM

that is a joke. no way redman makes the 53 over Dwyer. most big backs are not the best at catching passes. bettis was a rare exception. blocking is very easy to learn for a RB

Is Mendenhall considered a 'big back'? Dwyer and Mendenhall are the same size. Tomlinson is 8 pounds lighter than both, not exactly a big difference.

ikestops85
04-28-2010, 12:27 PM
He reminds me of Merril Hoge. A good solid RB who can get the tough yards. No shake and bake (hopefully no BAKE at all :lol: ). Patient but not quick through the hole. He will never break the big run but will always get you something.

SteelerNation1
04-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Man, you guys have compared him to Barry Foster, Emmitt Smith, Merrill Hoge, Brandon Jacobs, MJD, Jerome Bettis, etc....Not bad for a 6th rounder I'd say!

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Man, you guys have compared him to Barry Foster, Emmitt Smith, Merrill Hoge, Brandon Jacobs, MJD, Jerome Bettis, etc....Not bad for a 6th rounder I'd say!

Precisely why I made the comparison to Mewelde Moore. Tried to bring the thread back down to earth :D

SteelerNation1
04-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Precisely why I made the comparison to Mewelde Moore. Tried to bring the thread back down to earth :D

Personally, I see a little Walter Payton in him, a splash of John Riggins' power, Bo Jackson's speed, & Barry Sanders' elusiveness. That's just me though.

8) 8) 8)

Mister Pittsburgh
04-28-2010, 12:54 PM

Personally, I see a little Walter Payton in him, a splash of John Riggins' power, Bo Jackson's speed, & Barry Sanders' elusiveness. That's just me though.

8) 8) 8)

I am thinking I saw a little Alstott in Frank the Tank so we are set this year in the backfield :lol:

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2010, 02:27 PM
He reminds me of Merril Hoge. A good solid RB who can get the tough yards. No shake and bake (hopefully no BAKE at all :lol: ). Patient but not quick through the hole. He will never break the big run but will always get you something.

hopefully no wake n bake... :lol:

http://www.reefersmoke.com/images/wake-n-bake.gif

ANPSTEEL
04-28-2010, 04:07 PM

8) 8) 8)

I have not watched one second of footage on him-

but based upon everyone's comparisons...

It sounds like we have Earl Campbell.

:P