PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Great Grits Massacre is over,....

SteelCzar76
04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I have my yearly Pre season prediction ready. As i told you all before the season began last year that the team was of a quality (lack thereof) that was capable of EXACTLY 9-7 (Because of our new found "Grits" philosophy when it comes to personnel),.....i am going on record now as saying that this season we are very likely looking at 6-10.

But,...Tomlin will keep his job as most talking head pundits whom really are not as familiar with the team at all (and most of you even) will make various excuses.

Excuses such as, "Ben missed four games" or "Ya gotta give Timmons, Sweed and every other bum that Tomlin has drafted since he's been here more time !" (With the exceptions of Wood and Wallace) And the list will go on.

But i personally have to admit that watching my team go down in flames like this must be akin to what it must have been like for a historian and or scholar watch the library of Alexandria burn.

Wolfhound45
04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Why the hate for grits?

http://newsone.com/files/2009/12/grits-2.jpg

That is some good eating!

:stirpot

Dee Dub
04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Yes!!!!! :tt2 Julio Jones here we come!!! I see you workin it Czar. Thats' how we do it.

Slapstick
04-26-2010, 09:51 PM
But i personally have to admit that watching my team go down in flames like this must be akin to what it must have been like for a historian and or scholar watch the library of Alexandria burn.

...or, what it is like for me to read this post...

Don't worry, it won't happen again... :lol:

SteelCzar76
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Yes!!!!! :tt2 Julio Jones here we come!!! I see you workin it Czar. Thats' how we do it.

C'mon now Dub,..you know that Jones will be on the board and Tomlin will look over to Colbert's spineless azz and say,

" Naw f#ck that,...Draft that Kicker from Possums Paw University,...he's can also play TE, LB, WR and return kicks ! That's why no one has ever heard of him ! Well,..at least until we take him. He's the final piece that we need to Unleash hot shi,..um i mean hot Grit Hell !" :lol:

WoodleyofTroy
04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
With Troy healthy, the return of McFadden (Super Bowl Secondary intact), and the fact that Special Teams cost us a couple games on it's own (enter Worilds, Gibson, Sylvester).. I predict:

Dixon and the return of a Running game with Pouncey, an experienced Mendenhall, and new addition Dwyer, gets us to a 3-1 record.

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

When Ben comes back, his personality in proving everyone wrong, I'd be surprised to see us lose one game. But just because that would look silly on "paper", I'll go ahead and give us 2.

With a few Return TD's by the nations top return man in Antonio "minus the S" Brown (soon to be preseason fan favorite), Troy back to picking off the ball, creating a ripple effect on the rest of the defense (like usual when he's in the lineup) for more turnovers all around.. I predict:

13-3.

Hopefully you can overcome the pain of seeing them prove everyone wrong once again, when they are down.

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2010, 11:02 PM
With Troy healthy, the return of McFadden (Super Bowl Secondary intact), and the fact that Special Teams cost us a couple games on it's own (enter Worilds, Gibson, Sylvester).. I predict:

Dixon and the return of a Running game with Pouncey, an experienced Mendenhall, and new addition Dwyer, gets us to a 3-1 record.

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

When Ben comes back, his personality in proving everyone wrong, I'd be surprised to see us lose one game. But just because that would look silly on "paper", I'll go ahead and give us 2.

With a few Return TD's by the nations top return man in Antonio "minus the S" Brown (soon to be preseason fan favorite), Troy back to picking off the ball, creating a ripple effect on the rest of the defense (like usual when he's in the lineup) for more turnovers all around.. I predict:

13-3.

Hopefully you can overcome the pain of seeing them prove everyone wrong once again, when they are down.

I would be very happy with a 2-2 record after our first four Ben-less games.

SteelCzar76
04-26-2010, 11:30 PM

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

13-3.

And when exactly did they "prove me wrong" before Wood ? And i disagree with you on the first four games. As i think it's more likely that we split them and very possibly only win one.

Now throw in 2 games against the Bungles, another against the Ravens, two against the Clowns, (All teams that beat us last season and have in fact improved where as we just continued to add "depth") along with games against the Patsies, Jets, Saints, Dolphins and you have a recipe more of the same kind of grits that we were force fed last season.

As,...if you think that after the way the secondary was prison raped in front of the league last season that teams are going to stop going after them just simply because Troy will be back,...or that now we will magically be able to score in the redzone when we have not been able to for the last two seasons,....you will and many others will be sadly mistaken.

13-3 ? Dude Please. Not even what remains of Coach Cowher's players can overcome this "Grits gang"

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2010, 11:34 PM

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

13-3.

And when exactly did they "prove me wrong" before Wood ? And i disagree with you on the first four games. As i think it's more likely that we split them and very possibly only win one.

Now throw in 2 games against the Bungles, another against the Ravens, two against the Clowns, (All teams that beat us last season and have in fact improved where as we just continued to add "depth") along with games against the Patsies, Jets, Saints, Dolphins and you have a recipe more of the same kind of grits that we were force fed last season.

As,...if you think that after the way the secondary was prison raped in front of the league last season that teams are going to stop going after them just simply because Troy will be back,...or that now we will magically be able to score in the redzone when we have not been able to for the last two seasons,....you will and many others will be sadly mistaken.

13-3 ? Dude Please. Not even what remains of Coach Cowher's players can overcome this "Grits gang"

you know what does worry me?

if Troy gets hurt again, we are just as screwed as we were last year. Will Allen is good on special teams but not so good in coverage. we added zero safeties in the draft, do you think we will look for a veteran on the waiver wire when cuts are made this year?

Snatch98
04-26-2010, 11:52 PM
We aren't going 6-10. Top ten defensive and a return to Smash mouth football will say otherwise. Remind me how far did the Jets go last season with the same mentality and set up? Oh yea the AFC Championship game.

WoodleyofTroy
04-27-2010, 12:44 AM

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

13-3.

Was referring to proving the people wrong who like to base their predictions on the previous season, when it comes to the Steelers (wasn't pointing you out specifically). History shows that's when they are at their best.

How far back do you have to go where the Steelers got dominated by their division two years in a row? Wouldn't surprise me if they turned it around and went 6-0 against them. That's the Steelers. Just when you think they're going into rebuild mode (the year we drafted Ben), they pull off a 15-1 regular season record, and 2 Super Bowl victories in 4 years.

Like I said. Put me down for 13-3.

skyhawk
04-27-2010, 12:57 AM

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

13-3.

Dude, one teams picks for "depth" could be another team's "improvement". When the Steelers have more talent on their squad this is obvious.

SteelAbility
04-27-2010, 07:59 AM
This isn't a reverse jinx post, a la BigEyedFish, is it?

steelblood
04-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

13-3.

I have news for you. No one will run on the Ravens this year (unless Ngata or Cody are injured).

Lebsteel
04-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

13-3.

I have news for you. No one will run on the Ravens this year (unless Ngata or Cody are injured).
But, we have Pouncey!! No, really...he did well against Williams and Cody in the SEC, so I am not worried about the Ratbirds, put me down for that! :shock:

ramblinjim
04-27-2010, 09:49 AM
I was going to ask if any of the SEC fans knew how Pouncey played against Cody.

ikestops85
04-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Falcons - L
Titans - W
Buccaneers - W
Ravens - W

13-3.

When was the last time we were able to run on the Ravens? Last year people thought Mendy would be able to run on them but he had as much success as FWP. Face it, we are not a good running team right now. Hopefully Pouncey will help turn that around.

The last "non-grit" season we had under Cowher was 8-8 and I don't want to see that return.

Slapstick
04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
How many teams have had success running against the Ravens, historically speaking?

Sure, every team has breakdowns, but the Ravens have been stout against the run far more often than not...second only to the Steelers over the past ten seasons...

Sugar
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
I would love it IF Ben was only out 4 games and IF we could split them- but I doubt it. I'm looking at 1-3 during his absence, but only losing three more the rest of the season going 10-6 and making the playoffs as a Wild Card with Baltimore winning the division.

Once the playoffs start, it's anybody's game.
:tt2

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 10:36 AM
I would love it IF Ben was only out 4 games and IF we could split them- but I doubt it. I'm looking at 1-3 during his absence, but only losing three more the rest of the season going 10-6 and making the playoffs as a Wild Card with Baltimore winning the division.

1-3? Really? Ben definitely gives the best chance to win but I think you may be throwing the test of the team under the bus. Troy changes everythig with our D and I think we go 2-2 at the worst.

With a better OL and a run heavy game plan like we had with Dixon I think it's possible to even go 3-1 or 4-0. We won't be better without Ben but I think we will be more efficient and more conservative and take less risk and play field position all day.

flippy
04-27-2010, 10:37 AM
:nono

Ben + Defense = Championships

(7) + (front 7) = bringing home #7

We've upgraded on every front of that equation.

1. Ben - now has something to prove to win back his teammates and fans. I expect a competitor unlike what we've seen in the past. Plus Ben should be coming into his prime.

2. Front 7 - It's all about the pass rush. We can win with average DBs as long as we consistently get to the QB. Aaron is back, Ziggy's got a year under his belt, and we drafted 3 promising young LBs, and Timmons has a full year under his belt. Add in Larry Foote and this front 7 is upgraded all around. This is the hell Mike Tomlin spoke of unleashing.

3. Lombardi #7 is in view. And many more should be in the works.

Let's go!!!!!

Shawn
04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I'm not buying that Czar. Shoot, I'm not even buying that you believe it. I do think you like to get people's attention with some of your posts. 6-10...if the Steelers stay healthy is absurd. I see us going 2-2 with Dixon. I see Ben struggling for a game or two after his return...but the worst I can see is the Steelers having the same record as this season. We lost so many tight games due to an injured and aging D, also special teams. We bulked up on depth...players appear to be healed or healing...and we got some nice draft picks that will help significantly on STs. As long as the Steelers stay healthy I think 10-6 is very reasonable and we should peak late as Ben gains his football form back.

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 11:55 AM
I would LOVE to see:

0-4 w/out Ben

12-0 w/Ben

12-4 division winner and first round bye.

That would shut up the hometown haters for sure!

:lol:

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I would LOVE to see:

0-4 w/out Ben

12-0 w/Ben

umm... no it wouldn't. The guy is a great QB... losing the first 4 games would REALLY make them mad at Ben.

Snatch98
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Grit really? I'm assuming this is a reference to Grit as a form of food no? I hope not but I'd be a idiot to assume otherwise. Funny how the world works with some. I guess a certain level of intelligence or lack thereof is required.

ter1230_4
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I think that out of the adversity and chaos of this off-season will come a Pittsburgh Steelers team with the resolve and determination of a champion. It will be tested during Roethlisberger's suspension, but I believe that they will win at least two of those games (assuming that the suspension is reduced to four games). Once he returns I expect Roethlisberger to play as well, if not better, than we have seen to date in his career, and that is saying something. Out on the field is the one place where he is in control of his own destiny, where what people think and say about him becomes irrelevant. I pity the fools that have to play the Steelers in the first game Ben plays after his suspension (and it looks likely to be the Brownies). My season prediction is that the Steelers will win the division and make a serious run for Lombardi Number 7.

phillyesq
04-27-2010, 03:05 PM
The Steelers open with the Falcons at home, play the Titans and Bucs on the road, and return home against the Ravens. I'd be thrilled if they split those 4 games, but I don't think that a split can be taken for granted.

First game after the bye, Steelers face a Browns team that was hot at the end of last year. No guarantee there. Three on the road against the Dolphins, Saints and Bengals, all of which should be tough games, especially with a rust Ben. A split through this stretch would be great, but again, cannot be taken for granted.

Return from three weeks on the road to Pats and Raiders at home, followed by Bills and Ravens on the Road. We all know what happens with the Raiders last year. Three tough games out of this four game stretch. Again, I think a split here is a reasonable expectation.

The stretch run includes 3 at home against Bengals, Jets and Panthers, and closing the season on the road in Cleveland. We saw last year, playing the Steelers really is their SB. Hope for 3 of 4 if the Steelers take care of business.

With this schedule, the Steelers could go 10-6 or they could go 6-10. Neither would surprise me.

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I would LOVE to see:

0-4 w/out Ben

12-0 w/Ben

umm... no it wouldn't. The guy is a great QB... losing the first 4 games would REALLY make them mad at Ben.

You're only looking at the first part of the equation.

And "steeler nation" is partly to blame for his suspension. Ben was suspended due to negative publicity. Everyone knows that. Most of that negative publicity was due to idots in "steeler nation" spouting off with their holier-than-thou, empty rhetoric.

Sugar
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I would LOVE to see:

0-4 w/out Ben

12-0 w/Ben

And "steeler nation" is partly to blame for his suspension. Ben was suspended due to negative publicity. Everyone knows that. Most of that negative publicity was due to idots in "steeler nation" spouting off with their holier-than-thou, empty rhetoric.

That's about how I see it as well.

Sugar
04-27-2010, 03:59 PM

1-3? Really? Ben definitely gives the best chance to win but I think you may be throwing the test of the team under the bus. Troy changes everythig with our D and I think we go 2-2 at the worst.

With a better OL and a run heavy game plan like we had with Dixon I think it's possible to even go 3-1 or 4-0. We won't be better without Ben but I think we will be more efficient and more conservative and take less risk and play field position all day.

I don't see it as out of line at all that we would lose against the Falcons, Titans and Ravens in low scoring games without Ben. I'm not throwing the rest of the team under the bus, but I think that those teams will be able to sell out to stop the run and I don't think Dixon or Leftwich will be able to stop them.

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I would LOVE to see:

0-4 w/out Ben

12-0 w/Ben

Oh... so it's the fans fault? :roll:

NW Steeler
04-27-2010, 04:06 PM
If our line can give Lefty time, he can do well. I think he has always been pretty accurate, and he throws a much better deep ball than Ben does. I would feel much better with our chances if Leftwich played those four games instead of Dixon at this point. We just need to hold the ship from sinking until Ben gets back. I would hate to sacrifice any games for the case of developing Dixon. That said, I don't think that will happen and Lefty will be the QB for the first 4 games.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2010, 04:06 PM
I would LOVE to see:

0-4 w/out Ben

12-0 w/Ben

yeah, I don't get how you can blame the fans of Steeler Nation on this one either...

that's kind of like when a kid throws a rock through a window you blame the window for being there.

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
I would LOVE to see:

0-4 w/out Ben

12-0 w/Ben

yeah, I don't get how you can blame the fans of Steeler Nation on this one either...

that's kind of like when a kid throws a rock through a window you blame the window for being there.

If you two don't believe that all the uproar in "steeler nation" wasn't taken into consideration by Goodell when he made his decision then you're just not thinking clearly.

Ben was suspended due to negative publicity. A freakin' TON of that negative publicity came from "steeler nation". There is no doubt that it factored into the length of the suspension.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
fred bright is the one i blame for the length of the suspension.

what he did down there in that presser was reprehensible. "oh yeah, he's guilty, I just can't prove it". get the hell out of here with that crap.

shoulda been 2 games max.

eniparadoxgma
04-27-2010, 04:56 PM

...or, what it is like for me to read this post...

Don't worry, it won't happen again... :lol:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
If you two don't believe that all the uproar in "steeler nation" wasn't taken into consideration by Goodell when he made his decision then you're just not thinking clearly.

Ben was suspended due to negative publicity. A freakin' TON of that negative publicity came from "steeler nation". There is no doubt that it factored into the length of the suspension.

Dude... there were reports on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOXNews, CNN, ESPN... and countless other TV stations and internet news sites every day for 2 weeks. Unless Steeler nation runs the media networks this argument is tissue paper soft.

You don't think the other 31 teams fans played a part in this? Pittsburgh's media base is tiny... were there Ben jersey bonfires and picket signs? Did I miss the rally for trading Ben? It's also asking a lot for Steeler Nation to defend Ben twice in a year's span. Steeler Nation is huge but it was split down the middle and there is no market big enough to impact the media's perception on this.

Steeler Nation is huge... but it wasn't major news locally in NC. I got a few jokes but that is it... Goodell's hand was forced by Ben, the chick and the night in question.

birtikidis
04-27-2010, 06:19 PM
wow chicken little is out in force in this post.

frankthetank1
04-27-2010, 07:57 PM
why would goodell care what steeler fans think? his suspension has everything to do with ben and nothing to do with the fans. ben brought this on himself. no one forced him to make stupid decisions

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 08:19 PM
why would goodell care what steeler fans think? his suspension has everything to do with ben and nothing to do with the fans. ben brought this on himself. no one forced him to make stupid decisions

Now Steeler fans are to blame for Ben's suspension...

talk about reaching.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2010, 09:04 PM

Now Steeler fans are to blame for Ben's suspension...

talk about reaching.

i don't think that's what frank meant, he is saying that the fans had nothing to do with it and this is all Ben's fault. he's actually on our side. :Cheers

now cruzer on the other hand... :lol:

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 10:33 PM

Steelers fans are STILL saying they want Ben off the team. People were boxing up #7 jerseys and shipping them to the Rooneys. There were comments, stories, statements, opinions and on and on made VERY public by Steelers fans everywhere. But especially from Pittsburgh. And the media ran with all of those negative opinions that came straight from "Steeler Nation".

You really think that Goodell didn't have the thought that if fans of the guy's own team don't want him then he really needs to be punished severely?

There is no doubt Steelers fans who were so vocal about this situation are partly to blame for the length of the suspension.

That's why I hope the Steelers go oh fer in Ben's absence. Then maybe some of them yinzers will actually form a thought before spouting off with their idiotic, uninformed sentiments based solely on unsubstantiated accounts of drunken sorority sisters.

felt - when you learn to read and comprehend then please, offer up an opinion and I'm happy to respond. But until you're capable of those two simple things that most elementary school children are capable of then you cease to exist on this forum as far as I am concerned.

So when I don't respond to you any longer, well, now you know why.

frankthetank1
04-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Steelers fans are STILL saying they want Ben off the team. People were boxing up #7 jerseys and shipping them to the Rooneys. There were comments, stories, statements, opinions and on and on made VERY public by Steelers fans everywhere. But especially from Pittsburgh. And the media ran with all of those negative opinions that came straight from "Steeler Nation".

You really think that Goodell didn't have the thought that if fans of the guy's own team don't want him then he really needs to be punished severely?

There is no doubt Steelers fans who were so vocal about this situation are partly to blame for the length of the suspension.

That's why I hope the Steelers go oh fer in Ben's absence. Then maybe some of them yinzers will actually form a thought before spouting off with their idiotic, uninformed sentiments based solely on unsubstantiated accounts of drunken sorority sisters.

felt - when you learn to read and comprehend then please, offer up an opinion and I'm happy to respond. But until you're capable of those two simple things that most elementary school children are capable of then you cease to exist on this forum as far as I am concerned.

so if steeler nation wasnt so upset at ben's actions he wouldnt of been suspended? i dont buy that at all. goodell doesnt dish out suspensions based on the fans opinions. how could you want the steelers to win zero games without ben? that doesnt make any sense. i hope they never lose a game with or without ben.

the media didnt run with all the negative opinions from steeler fans. they ran with the story because it was a two time sb winning qb caught in a public bathroom with a 20 year old girl. that is the only reason why he is in this situation. fans dont have that much influence, trust me

cruzer8
04-28-2010, 11:01 AM

so if steeler nation wasnt so upset at ben's actions he wouldnt of been suspended? i dont buy that at all. goodell doesnt dish out suspensions based on the fans opinions. how could you want the steelers to win zero games without ben? that doesnt make any sense. i hope they never lose a game with or without ben.

the media didnt run with all the negative opinions from steeler fans. they ran with the story because it was a two time sb winning qb caught in a public bathroom with a 20 year old girl. that is the only reason why he is in this situation. fans dont have that much influence, trust me

See what's highlighted in red.

Hope that helps. ;)

Ben was suspended due to negative PR for the league. Period.

I want them to lose while Ben is suspended to prove a point to the holier-that-thou, thick headed yinzers who couldn't contain their mock disgust and feigned outrage.

Then I want them to win every game when he comes back. To reinforce that point. When someone is accused of something but there exists only allegations then keep yer yinzer trap shut like any sensible, intelligent person would do.

Btw, he wasn't caught in a bathroom. That's all alleged but was never proved.

Hope that helps too. ;)

feltdizz
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Stop blaming yinzers for Ben's actions. He has 2 accusations.. Steeler fans aren't responsible for either of them.

ikestops85
04-28-2010, 12:16 PM

See what's highlighted in red.

Hope that helps. ;)

Ben was suspended due to negative PR for the league. Period.

I want them to lose while Ben is suspended to prove a point to the holier-that-thou, thick headed yinzers who couldn't contain their mock disgust and feigned outrage.

Then I want them to win every game when he comes back. To reinforce that point. When someone is accused of something but there exists only allegations then keep yer yinzer trap shut like any sensible, intelligent person would do.

Btw, he wasn't caught in a bathroom. That's all alleged but was never proved.

Hope that helps too. ;)

Cruzer, I think some have a problem with what you are saying and are trying to take it to an extreme position. There is no question in my mind that fan reaction, including steeler fan reaction played a part in Goodell's reasoning for suspending Ben for that length of time.

Up until this point in time Goodell has NEVEN suspended a player who wasn't at least charged for an offense. Meaning that there was a reasonable probability that the player had broken the law. Not so with Ben.

Goodell has also come under pressure that he had only suspended black players. So along comes our idiot QB and he runs into a perfect storm. Our superstar white QB starts generating a sh!tstorm of bad publicity. The media starts it and the fans feed it. Goodell has his chance to get some people off his back, make a name for himself, and show the players who is boss just in time for collective bargaining agreement talk where he is supposed to be a neutral party.

Goodell's problem now is figuring out what reason he uses to impose the suspension on Ben. The other guys were easy because they were at least charged with doing something wrong. Then the light bulb comes on. He can use this "higher standard" clause in the personal conduct policy. It doesn't matter that they never defined what that higher standard is. He can give Ben a harsh penalty which will make him look tough, improve the league's image and calm down the fans (steeler fans included). However, if Ben fights this he will probably win and we can't have that. So let's threaten him. If Ben chooses to use his contitutional rights to take this to court I will let him know I can increase the length of the suspension.

and to put the cherry on top Goodell knows that the Rooneys recommended him for the commisioner position so they can't come out and bash any decision he makes because then they will look stupid.

Goodell is God ... or at least he thinks he is.

feltdizz
04-28-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't buy the black vs white God ell argument at all. Sure a few people wrote stories about the race angle but it comes down to 2 sexual accusations and a disturbing amount of information surrounding the night in question.

It's not like Godell was waiting for this to happen so he could get over the racial hurdle. Matt Jones already cleared that hurdle last year. It's not race and it's not Steeler Nation. You guys keep excusing Bens behavior because you want to win at all cost. Whether you like to admit it Ben being a 2 time SB winner with 2 accusations, a drunk 20 year old, 3 rogue cops, missing video, scrubbed photos, bar hopping, small college town, bruises and cuts, bump on head, bathroom sex... these are all items being used to frame Bens reputation "regardless of what the truth is might I add..."

Those things forced Goodells hand in this matter.

As far as winning wthout Ben... Every football fan knows Ben gives us the best chance to win. It's not like Ben winning every game after he comes back will shock Steeler fans. We know Ben is the bizness...

It's off the field where we are concerned Ben will make continued mistakes that could get him suspended indefinitely or traded if he doesn't change his behavior. In my opinion of course....

Anyone who thought Ben was walking away clean because he wasn't charged needs a wake up call. Tagliabu left the office 3 years ago and most knew Ben was going to receive punishment.

ikestops85
04-28-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't buy the black vs white God ell argument at all. Sure a few people wrote stories about the race angle but it comes down to 2 sexual accusations and a disturbing amount of information surrounding the night in question.

It's not like Godell was waiting for this to happen so he could get over the racial hurdle. Matt Jones already cleared that hurdle last year. It's not race and it's not Steeler Nation. You guys keep excusing Bens behavior because you want to win at all cost. Whether you like to admit it Ben being a 2 time SB winner with 2 accusations, a drunk 20 year old, 3 rogue cops, missing video, scrubbed photos, bar hopping, small college town, bruises and cuts, bump on head, bathroom sex... these are all items being used to frame Bens reputation "regardless of what the truth is might I add..."

Those things forced Goodells hand in this matter.

As far as winning wthout Ben... Every football fan knows Ben gives us the best chance to win. It's not like Ben winning every game after he comes back will shock Steeler fans. We know Ben is the bizness...

It's off the field where we are concerned Ben will make continued mistakes that could get him suspended indefinitely or traded if he doesn't change his behavior. In my opinion of course....

Anyone who thought Ben was walking away clean because he wasn't charged needs a wake up call. Tagliabu left the office 3 years ago and most knew Ben was going to receive punishment.

Stephen A Smith (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnists/stephen_a_smith/91575294.html?cmpid=15585797)
Goodell says it isn't preferential treatment, but ignores the fact that it looks preferential. He says it's not because Roethlisberger is a white superstar - knowing there's a segment of the populace who'll think just that, the more he drags his feet.

Personally, I believe Goodell when he says he wants to gather more evidence, that he's not playing favorites. I also believe race plays no role in this matter.

But perception is reality, no matter what anyone believes. Especially if Goodell keeps talking about "perception" more loudly than anyone cares to hear.

Robert Boland (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-Goodell-must-come-down-hard-on-Big-Ben.html)
Whatever one thinks of Roethlisberger and his behavior, as the first high-profile non-minority player to come before the commissioner for violating the league’s disciplinary policy, Goodell must throw the Steelers quarterback for a big loss to prevent a clever attorney for the next minority player from making a claim of disparate racial impact. Such a claim -- that the rule or its implementation impacts unfairly on minority players -- is just about the only thing that can get the disciplinary policy out of Goodell’s hands and under the scrutiny of the judicial system, where judges might not be so inclined toward the fairness of a system where the commissioner is judge, jury and executioner and gets to hear appeals, too.

Michael Sanserino Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112/1052481-66.stm)
Mr. Sutton said he believed race was a factor, adding players were watching Mr. Goodell to see how he handled Mr. Roethlisberger. Would he be lenient on a two-time Super Bowl winner? Would he treat a white quarterback differently than a black lineman? Would he protect a superstar where he would punish a role player?

Dan Fogerty (http://www.mediaite.com/online/ben-roethlisberger-suspension/)
But there were also racial undertones, as the league considered what to do with a white star in a league that is 65% black. Some sportswriters wondered if Roethlisberger would be given a lighter suspension because he’s white.

By suspending Roethlisberger for at least a quarter and up to half of the season, the answer to that is unequivocally no.

There are hundreds of articles mentioning race and anybody that doesn't believe that race had anything to do with Ben's suspension is a little bit naive.

Steel Life
04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
In many respects this was a perfect storm of circumstances & timing & Ben is paying the price for his lack of judgment. I believe he was hit harder because of the lynch-mob mentality & that race played a minor role, but that perceived wrist-slapping for superstar treatment outweighed it. I will admit to a concern as to whether Goodell will punish the Colts player who was accused of sexual assault or Leroy Hill of the Seahawks, who was charged with possession & then seven days later was picked by police for domestic battery. Let's see how much play that gets with the talk-radio or high-horse crowd.

Either way, wheels turn, the process is underway & Ben has months to get himself right & hopefully we can only focus on football soon.

WoodleyofTroy
01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_78NK-LRwhcY/S_6huGj8veI/AAAAAAAAAI0/hm6OayvbewI/s1600/VinnyJudge.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Now I know what those Jets fans were spelling out. They were making fun of our crappy rookies.

G-R-I-T-S

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/pouncey_260.jpg

GRITS!!!

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Emmanuel+Sanders+Carolina+Panthers+v+Pittsburgh+NI QRC2D9-0Ql.jpg

GRITS!!!

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/826678/80033_aptopix_ravens_steelers_football.jpg

GRITS!!!

steelsnis
01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Timmons stinks, Woodley stinks, Mendenhall stinks, Ziggy stinks, Wallace stinks, Pouncey stinks, Sanders stinks, Brown stinks. Not to mention other draftees Mundy, David Johnson, Dennis Dixon, William Gay, Matt Spaeth

Oh wait a minute...you mean they DON'T stink? Huh...now why would I have thought that they were just "ordinary" guys??????

NWNewell
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_78NK-LRwhcY/S_6huGj8veI/AAAAAAAAAI0/hm6OayvbewI/s1600/VinnyJudge.jpg

LMFAO

Nice bump..... :Bow

Iron Shiek
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Props to Flippy for never wavering!!!!!

NW Steeler
01-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Props to Ruthless for rubbing it in the Tomlin-Hater - SteelCzar's face!!!!

papillon
01-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Where has Czar been? It seems the doom and gloom of the team he cheers for was a bit premature. The Steelers have held up just fine this year and the grits gang has done an outstanding job holding the team together and having backups ready to play at key positions.

Hmmm, I don't know I'm sated with the way the season has played out so far. One more win and it's #7 in the trophy case, Ben finally establishes himself as a great quarterback, Tomlin a great coach, Ward might even retire on top and pass the WR position off to those "griity" rooks and second year players. :P

Pappy

Ghost
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Ouch..... this has to sting a bit. :lol:

Tomlin did 'ok' for an "overpaid janitor".....

AngryAsian
01-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Ruthless... mind like a SteelTrap. Reading this thread again was a great refresher on some of our respective opinions on the whole Ben saga. I want to throw big props to CRUZER who was first to call a 12-4 season and a first round bye. And we can't forget FLIPPY who called a trip to the Super Bowl. A big shout out and major props to SteelCzar for not coming around again... but when he does, I'm sure, along with the grits, he'll be eating some crow.

grotonsteel
01-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I am still waiting for his Top-10 QB list... :lol: :lol: :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Ruthless... mind like a SteelTrap. Reading this thread again was a great refresher on some of our respective opinions on the whole Ben saga. I want to throw big props to CRUZER who was first to call a 12-4 season and a first round bye. And we can't forget FLIPPY who called a trip to the Super Bowl. A big shout out and major props to SteelCzar for not coming around again... but when he does, I'm sure, along with the grits, he'll be eating some crow.

I'm not taking credit for this one.

It was all Herman Munster...err...Judge Chamberlain Haller...umm...WoodleyOfTroy...who sniffed these grits out. :lol:

NW Steeler
01-26-2011, 05:27 PM
And we can't forget FLIPPY who called a trip to the Super Bowl.

Well, what Steelers fan doesn't think we'll go to the SB EVERY year?!! :wink:

:Cheers

NW Steeler
01-26-2011, 05:29 PM
A big shout out and major props to SteelCzar for not coming around again... but when he does, I'm sure, along with the grits, he'll be eating some crow.

He will re-appear should we happen to drop the SB. But we wont, so we'll probably have to wait until the draft if there is one.

snarky
01-26-2011, 05:32 PM
I admit it. I know nothing about football. But I think Mike Tomlin should keep his job. Sure you could say he deserves to be fired because we lost four games this year. But I'm willing to cut the guy some slack since we seem to be slowing improving under his guidance and we have a lot of younger guys on the team. I think if we are patient, he will eventually win a pro-bowl or two.

steelers75
01-31-2011, 06:17 PM
I have my yearly Pre season prediction ready. As i told you all before the season began last year that the team was of a quality (lack thereof) that was capable of EXACTLY 9-7 (Because of our new found "Grits" philosophy when it comes to personnel),.....i am going on record now as saying that this season we are very likely looking at 6-10.

But,...Tomlin will keep his job as most talking head pundits whom really are not as familiar with the team at all (and most of you even) will make various excuses.

Excuses such as, "Ben missed four games" or "Ya gotta give Timmons, Sweed and every other bum that Tomlin has drafted since he's been here more time !" (With the exceptions of Wood and Wallace) And the list will go on.

Funny how this jackass disappears when he's proven absolutely and completely dead wrong, which is pretty much constantly. LOL

But I'm sure he'll come back and claim this is another "Cowher-won title" if we win Sunday. :roll:

Or maybe he'll finally and mercifully just STFU once and for all and stay away.