PDA

View Full Version : Should Rooney Have Ben Move In?

flippy
04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Since Crosby has lived with Mario and seems to be squeaky clean, does it make sense for Art II to open his home and have Ben move in with him?

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Hockey players are weird like that (perhaps it is because they are used to living with host families when they play major junior hockey in Canada).

Sid moved in with Mario as a rookie (and surprisingly, hasn't left...that's just odd, considering he's a multi-millionaire now, but apparently Mario's kids are like his siblings now).

Jordan Staal moved in with Mark Recchi as a rookie.

Evgeni Malkin moved in with Sergei Gonchar as a rookie (he only spoke Russian back then).

I can't imagine football, baseball, or basketball players doing anything like this ever, but is seems to be commonplace in hockey.

flippy
04-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Hockey players are weird like that (perhaps it is because they are used to living with host families when they play major junior hockey in Canada).

Sid moved in with Mario as a rookie (and surprisingly, hasn't left...that's just odd, considering he's a multi-millionaire now, but apparently Mario's kids are like his siblings now).

Evgeni Malkin moved in with Sergei Gonchar as a rookie (he only spoke Russian back then).

I can't imagine football, baseball, or basketball players doing anything like this ever, but is seems to be commonplace in hockey.

In the case of Sid, Staal, and Malkin, they were so young when they came to Pittsburgh that I can see why it makes sense.

But Sid not leaving yet is really strange.

But it seems this has played a major role in his development.

I think other sports should look at hockey.

SteelBucks
04-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Since Crosby has lived with Mario and seems to be squeaky clean, does it make sense for Art II to open his home and have Ben move in with him?

I'd pay money to see that reality show! :)

ramblinjim
04-26-2010, 12:38 PM
it would probably keep him out of trouble.

Slapstick
04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
If I were Rooney, I would definitely stay out of the bathroom if I thought Ben was anywhere near it...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
If I were Rooney, I would definitely stay out of the bathroom if I thought Ben was anywhere near it...

I will go out on a limb and guess that he has more than one bathroom in his house. :lol:

snarky
04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm not all that surprised that Sid has stayed at the Lemieux's. I mean, from Sid's perspective he gets access to one of the best three players in the history of the game. The rate at which Crosby's game has matured over the last few years is amazing and I'm guessing having the chance to chat with Mario has contributed to that process. Lots of football players are still in college at 22 and being watched over etc. by their coaches.

Edit: Meant to add that the idea of Ben moving in with Dan Rooney (or ArtII) is hilarious.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not all that surprised that Sid has stayed at the Lemieux's. I mean, from Sid's perspective he gets access to one of the best three players in the history of the game. The rate at which Crosby's game has matured over the last few years is amazing and I'm guessing having the chance to chat with Mario has contributed to that process. Lots of football players are still in college at 22 and being watched over etc. by their coaches.

Edit: Meant to add that the idea of Ben moving in with Dan Rooney (or ArtII) is hilarious.

If he moved in with Dan, he could do some serious Irish pub hopping. Lock up your lasses! :mrgreen:

birtikidis
04-26-2010, 02:03 PM

I will go out on a limb and guess that he has more than one bathroom in his house. :lol:
I always thought that the Rooneys had an outhouse.

feltdizz
04-26-2010, 02:09 PM

In the case of Sid, Staal, and Malkin, they were so young when they came to Pittsburgh that I can see why it makes sense.

But Sid not leaving yet is really strange.

But it seems this has played a major role in his development.

I think other sports should look at hockey.

Mario lives in the area I grew up in... well, I should say he lives in the heights of the town I grew up in. I used to see Lynn Swann all the time and my Dad and cousin say they see Sid on a regular bases and have nothing but nice things to say about him.

I can understand kids with language barriers moving in with older players but I'm surpised Sid still lives with him. I wonder if he pays rent or watches the kids? After the olympics Sid would have come home to bags on the porch and new locks. :moon

Let's hope the Pens can repeat and take some attention off of Ben. Lord knows the Pirates will give it all back though... sorry mutha$&@&@'s

flippy
04-26-2010, 02:52 PM
The other option could be sending Ben to Mel Blount's home for troubled kids.

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2010, 03:13 PM

"All you b!tches, wear my cowboy hat!"

flippy
04-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Ben's gonna take so much flack at road games. Probably moreso at home games.

What sign are you taking for Ben's first start this season?

ghettoscott
04-26-2010, 04:15 PM

"ALL YOU BITCHES LOOK AT OUR RINGS!!!" :Beer

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-26-2010, 08:18 PM

:Bow :Bow :Cheers :Cheers :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Steel :tt1 :Bow :Bow

AngryAsian
04-27-2010, 09:10 AM

This will be the truest test of his metal. If he can perform under these adverse conditions then we have a chance at the playoffs.... but that's a big "IF."

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2010, 10:09 AM

This will be the truest test of his metal. If he can perform under these adverse conditions then we have a chance at the playoffs.... but that's a big "IF."

I think he'll thrive in this situation. Doubt him, back him into a corner, put the pressure on...he's money. I'd love to see the more people boo and jeer and whine, the better he performs to shut them up. Kind of like when Sid plays in Philly, the morons inevitably start chanting "Crosby Sucks!" until he scores a goal and has a couple of assists to lead to a Pens win over the Flyers.

flippy
04-27-2010, 10:38 AM

nice

flippy
04-27-2010, 10:39 AM

I think he'll thrive in this situation. Doubt him, back him into a corner, put the pressure on...he's money. I'd love to see the more people boo and jeer and whine, the better he performs to shut them up. Kind of like when Sid plays in Philly, the morons inevitably start chanting "Crosby Sucks!" until he scores a goal and has a couple of assists to lead to a Pens win over the Flyers.

Seems like we're lined up for another SuperBowl to me.

Shawn
04-27-2010, 11:16 AM
What some see as strange I see as smart. Having a troubled player live with a solid vet, owner, coach can not only save the player but the person. Some people do not deal well with being on their own...having fame and money. They need accountability. Some people need extra time to grow up...and giving them that extra time before they spiral in self destruction is crucial to their development. If Art wanted to have Ben move in with him...I would be all for that.