PDA

View Full Version : Steelers defend Roethlisberger's right 'to make right'

fordfixer
04-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Steelers defend Roethlisberger's right 'to make right'
Sunday, April 25, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10115/1053201-66.stm

A Steelers official said the team will defend disgraced quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's "opportunity to make right" and resume his career in Pittsburgh.

"Not speaking for coach or the organization," said Kevin Colbert, their director of football operations, "but really we can't defend the behavior or the actions and as an organization we won't.

"But we do defend his opportunity to make right. And I think that's the right thing to do. This guy has helped us win two championships and he's made some mistakes but he also deserves the opportunity to rectify those mistakes. I know we stand behind his opportunity to do that."

Roethlisberger will issue a statement Monday -- not in a news-conferences form -- in response to the 4-to-6 game suspension given him by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell Wednesday. The suspension, along with required evaluation and counseling, was issued for his actions in the early morning of March 5 in Georgia, where a 20-year-old woman claimed he raped her. Authorities decided not to charge the quarterback.

The Steelers acquired veteran quarterback Byron Leftwich in a trade this past week from Tampa Bay, and he will join Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon at the position while Roethlisberger serves his suspension. Coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger is ready to accept the consequences and move forward.

"I think that's his mind set. I know he is going to make a comment regarding the discipline of the commissioner on Monday. I will let him do that. But it's my understanding at this point he is ready to meet those challenges and take the necessary steps to move forward with his career."

Roethlisberger is not expected to attend minicamp next weekend because he is not permitted to rejoin the team until a psychological evaluation is performed.

Tomlin said he will allow the other three quarterbacks to work through things in the spring and then decide how he will proceed with them at training camp in Latrobe.

"What we know at this point is, of course, he will be unavailable to us for at least the first four football games of the season," Tomlin said of Roethlisberger. "We've got three guys that we're very comfortable with playing. We'll use the rest of the organized team activity days to kind of sort through it and get some information in regards to where those guys are. And then we'll make some hard and fast decision going into training camp because the reality is you can't get four guys ready to play in a camp.

"We'll make that decision at that time. Right now, we're just going to work with all four of these men, or all three of these men who will be part of this program in the short term, see where they are, get reacquainted with Byron Leftwich, of course. Charlie Batch is coming off an injury and Dennis Dixon is an emerging young guy.

"There are quality reps to be had, a lot of teaching that needs to be done. We're going to do that and make a decision prior to going to Latrobe about how we're going to go about divvying up the workload, if you will."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10115/10 ... z0mBNW5K1E

SS Laser
04-26-2010, 02:38 AM
I think Dixon/leftwich should get the most reps of course in that order. This could be huge for Dixon. He better take this chance and run with it. Just saying. I would work Ben as the #3 to see how he likes it when he comes back. But I am sure that will not happen.
Batch?? Coach the young guys LOL

Flasteel
04-26-2010, 07:21 AM
For all those who were supposedly resting on their moral high ground to justify trading/releasing Roethlisberger, take note. That path can often find yourself helping others overcome their problems or eventually offering forgiveness.

Oviedo
04-26-2010, 07:45 AM
For all those who were supposedly resting on their moral high ground to justify trading/releasing Roethlisberger, take note. That path can often find yourself helping others overcome their problems or eventually offering forgiveness.

:Agree Helping someone else find redemption is one of the highest signs of character and morals. It is easy to criticize but offering a helping hand is the right thing to do in this case. How tragic would it be to find out that some of Ben's foibles are related to undetected injuries from his accident.

proudpittsburgher
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I agree with the sentinent that giving Ben another shot is the way to go here. Now, if he choses not to grow up, we all know he is outta here.

Also, I just don't see the Steelers giving Dixon the majority of the reps over Lefty. Dixon played in the ONE game last year, but the Steelers never worked him in in other games. He could have easily filled a slash role and saw some playing time out of the wildcat, but it never happened. The only time he saw the field was when he absolutely had to (Batch and Ben were out). I just get the feeling that if there was ANYTHING there, the Steelers would have to get him on the field more, and they didn't. If there is another reason why, I'm glad to hear it, because I like the athletic ability he brings. I just have a bad feeling about Dennis Dixon.

aggiebones
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I agree, but the only real reason we are choosing this path is because he is throwing a football. I respect the Rooney's choice in developing a football team and that they seem to make some efforts to bring a guy along personally if he's up for it. But if this was the weight coach or 4th TE, he would have been cut because its not worth it. So I respect the Rooney's but they are not saints. Let's leave it at that and stop making them the moral compass for all. Its not fair to them. Noone could be morally perfect and run a winning football team, business, zoo, church, whatever.

ikestops85
04-26-2010, 01:20 PM
I agree, but the only real reason we are choosing this path is because he is throwing a football. I respect the Rooney's choice in developing a football team and that they seem to make some efforts to bring a guy along personally if he's up for it. But if this was the weight coach or 4th TE, he would have been cut because its not worth it. So I respect the Rooney's but they are not saints. Let's leave it at that and stop making them the moral compass for all. Its not fair to them. Noone could be morally perfect and run a winning football team, business, zoo, church, whatever.

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Snatch98
04-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Yet he was the first player in the NFL to be suspended without a conviction. The Rooney's obviously know he has a problem but he wasn't convicted of anything and because of that he's not held to the same standard as a Pac Man or a Micheal Vick. If he were convicted he'd most likely be gone and the Rooney's I'm sure took all of that in to consideration when making their decision. Once again he WAS NOT CONVICTED which is something for whatever reason a lot of the "moral compass bandits" choose to ignore when discussing Big Ben and his antics.

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Yet he was the first player in the NFL to be suspended without a conviction. The Rooney's obviously know he has a problem but he wasn't convicted of anything and because of that he's not held to the same standard as a Pac Man or a Micheal Vick. If he were convicted he'd most likely be gone and the Rooney's I'm sure took all of that in to consideration when making their decision. Once again he WAS NOT CONVICTED which is something for whatever reason a lot of the "moral compass bandits" choose to ignore when discussing Big Ben and his antics.

I thought other players were suspended before being convicted?

Most "moral compass bandits" used Goodell's past suspensions due to conduct unbecoming a football player as the reason Ben would get a suspension. For some reason a few people keep using NOT BEING CONVICTED as proof Goodell wouldn't act...
most intelligent posters realized a conviction wasn't needed to suspend him due to Goodell's stiff hand.

I applaud the Rooney's for being pro-active... it looks much better then other teams who try to appease their players to win at all cost.

What was Pac Man convicted of?

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Most "moral compass bandits" used Goodell's past suspensions due to conduct unbecoming a football player as the reason Ben would get a suspension. For some reason a few people keep using NOT BEING CONVICTED as proof Goodell wouldn't act...
most intelligent posters realized a conviction wasn't needed to suspend him due to Goodell's stiff hand.

I applaud the Rooney's for being pro-active... it looks much better then other teams who try to appease their players to win at all cost.

Incorrect.

Most intelligent posters realize this is a slippery slope that Goodell has started down.

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Incorrect.

Most intelligent posters realize this is a slippery slope that Goodell has started down.

You are wrong... Vick and Pac Man weren't convicted before being suspended.

another telling stat:

Three years ago, the NFL admitted it had a pretty big problem.

Its players were being arrested or charged with crimes, on average, almost twice per week.

There were at least 79 such incidents from April 2006 to April 2007, prompting Commissioner Roger Goodell to say certain players “were tainting the league.”

So he did something about it. He got tough on them with a more rigid personal conduct policy, announced in April 2007.

NFL arrest numbers...

April 2006-April 2007: 79

2007-08: 65

2008-09: 61

2009-2010: 44

and the first suspension Goodell ever handed down...

I experienced this firsthand in 2007 when the Packers signed Koren Robinson, a player Ted Thompson had long coveted. Koren had a DUI charge earlier that year with the Vikings and was released by the team. We acquired him, presuming – with a court date not even scheduled until after the 2007 season – that we would have his services at least that year.

Soon after signing, Robinson had a hearing with the commissioner’s designee on a Monday afternoon. The next morning, he was suspended for the year. There was no deference to the fact he had a defense to the DUI (which was later thrown out in a plea bargain). The information in the police report – that Robinson had a strong smell of alcohol -- was all Goodell needed to suspend.

Koren was reinstated a year later but had recurring knee problems that ended his career. One thing that came through the process was the tough love demonstrated by Goodell, who, while suspending him, took a true and genuine interest in Koren the person.

maybe this slope has been slippery for a long time and Steeler fans refuse to admit it because they never had to deal with it first hand as Steeler fans until now... 8)

flippy
04-27-2010, 04:41 PM
What about Santonio? I'm calling BS. It's more about the money they have tied up in Ben and the importance of the position.

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
What about Santonio? I'm calling BS. It's more about the money they have tied up in Ben and the importance of the position.

Our FO was pretty honest in admitting Holmes upcoming contract and weed suspension played a role in trading him....

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Incorrect.

You are wrong... Vick and Pac Man weren't convicted before being suspended.

another telling stat:

Three years ago, the NFL admitted it had a pretty big problem.

Its players were being arrested or charged with crimes, on average, almost twice per week.

There were at least 79 such incidents from April 2006 to April 2007, prompting Commissioner Roger Goodell to say certain players “were tainting the league.”

So he did something about it. He got tough on them with a more rigid personal conduct policy, announced in April 2007.

NFL arrest numbers...

April 2006-April 2007: 79

2007-08: 65

2008-09: 61

2009-2010: 44

and the first suspension Goodell ever handed down...

I experienced this firsthand in 2007 when the Packers signed Koren Robinson, a player Ted Thompson had long coveted. Koren had a DUI charge earlier that year with the Vikings and was released by the team. We acquired him, presuming – with a court date not even scheduled until after the 2007 season – that we would have his services at least that year.

Soon after signing, Robinson had a hearing with the commissioner’s designee on a Monday afternoon. The next morning, he was suspended for the year. There was no deference to the fact he had a defense to the DUI (which was later thrown out in a plea bargain). The information in the police report – that Robinson had a strong smell of alcohol -- was all Goodell needed to suspend.

Koren was reinstated a year later but had recurring knee problems that ended his career. One thing that came through the process was the tough love demonstrated by Goodell, who, while suspending him, took a true and genuine interest in Koren the person.

maybe this slope has been slippery for a long time and Steeler fans refuse to admit it because they never had to deal with it first hand as Steeler fans until now... 8)

Yes they were.

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 08:15 PM
:owned

Vindrow
04-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Actually, you're wrong on Vick there felt....

Vick wasn't suspended until after he got a plea agreement as it says in this article:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/20429109/

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Vick wasn't suspended until after he got a plea agreement as it says in this article:

You don't say?

Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended the Atlanta Falcons quarterback indefinitely without pay, just hours after Vick filed a plea agreement that portrayed him as less involved than three co-defendants and guilty mainly of poor judgment for associating with them.

:lol:

feltdizz
04-28-2010, 11:51 AM

OK.. I can admit when I'm wrong, what about PacMan and Koren Robinson?

I'm pretty sure Goodell has suspended players before a conviction.

I doubt Ben was the first.

cruzer8
04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Robinson was suspended for violating the league's substance abuse policy. There is no alleged involved with that. He failed a test.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2629860

Jones was suspended for the 2007 season for the following:

Before getting traded to Dallas in April, the cornerback was arrested six times and involved in 12 instances requiring police intervention after Tennessee drafted him in the first round in 2005.

Tennessee got a fourth-round pick from the Cowboys in the April draft and was supposed to get a sixth-rounder next year for Jones. But because Jones has been suspended again, Dallas is instead expected to get the Titans' fifth-round pick next April.

Jones was an elite cornerback and kick returner in his first two seasons with the Titans, but the accumulation of arrests and legal problems, including his connection to a shooting at a Las Vegas strip club, led to his suspension without pay in April 2007.

More trouble followed, including felony charges related to the strip-club shooting that left a bouncer paralyzed. There was also a $20,000 debt repaid to a Las Vegas casino after a felony theft warrant was threatened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643240

Pacman's rap sheet, including charges brought before he was ever suspended.

http://bumpsports.blogspot.com/2007/03/ ... sheet.html (http://bumpsports.blogspot.com/2007/03/pacman-jones-criminal-rap-sheet.html)

ikestops85
04-28-2010, 01:23 PM

OK.. I can admit when I'm wrong, what about PacMan and Koren Robinson?

I'm pretty sure Goodell has suspended players before a conviction.

I doubt Ben was the first.

Convictions ... yes. Arrests ... NO. That is the difference. Not only has Ben never been convicted he also has never even been charged!!

feltdizz
04-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Ben is definitely the first to be suspended without a charge as far as I know. Convictions... not sure about that.

I think Goodell punishes repeat behavior that gets negative media attention regardless of charges or convicions. I'm sure Ben was warned due to the civil trial... If Ben had a DUI or was in a bar fight I doubt the punishment would be so harsh.