PDA

View Full Version : 10 minutes of Arnaz Battle highlights

skyhawk
04-26-2010, 12:36 AM
The guy can play. And even THROW the ball downfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hecq3zOM ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hecq3zOMgvE&feature=related)

Wolfhound45
04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Thirty years old. Five catches last year.

http://www.nfl.com/players/arnazbattle/ ... =BAT409475 (http://www.nfl.com/players/arnazbattle/profile?id=BAT409475)

My hope is that he lives up to those highlights. We need the help.

BDESteel
04-26-2010, 10:51 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hecq3zOM ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hecq3zOMgvE&feature=related)

His pass had a nice spiral to it. Too bad with Arians we'll never see Battle throw the ball.

D Rock
04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
He's slow.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Steelers had the right intentions with bringing Battle in. I think he will have a hard time making the roster now. I think he and maybe even Logan lose out to rookies who have a position. If Brown lives up to the hype...He should take over the return duties and push Logan off the roster. Dress him gameday and he will be your 5th. I see Sweed having a head to head with Sanders. Hopefully Sweed lives up to expectations and the Steelers are forced to carry 6 including Brown. Not a big deal because Ward's roster spot will come up soon. Sanders will be in street clothes gameday if Sweed seperates himself. I have a feeling if Sweed and Sanders are close...Sweed is gone. 3 years in he shouldn't make it close. The rookie LBs will make it hard for Battle to find a spot. More than likely, Frazier will be gone and Bailey has an uphill battle. Sylvestor will make it hard for the Steelers to consider keeping Bailey just for ST. The Steelers are in a real good spot right now. If these rookies are hungry for ST...They have positional value. Battle, Bailey, and Madison might not be around to play a Steelers regular season game in 2010. JMO

Lebsteel
04-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Steelers had the right intentions with bringing Battle in. I think he will have a hard time making the roster now. I think he and maybe even Logan lose out to rookies who have a position. If Brown lives up to the hype...He should take over the return duties and push Logan off the roster. Dress him gameday and he will be your 5th. I see Sweed having a head to head with Sanders. Hopefully Sweed lives up to expectations and the Steelers are forced to carry 6 including Brown. Not a big deal because Ward's roster spot will come up soon. Sanders will be in street clothes gameday if Sweed seperates himself. I have a feeling if Sweed and Sanders are close...Sweed is gone. 3 years in he shouldn't make it close. The rookie LBs will make it hard for Battle to find a spot. More than likely, Frazier will be gone and Bailey has an uphill battle. Sylvestor will make it hard for the Steelers to consider keeping Bailey just for ST. The Steelers are in a real good spot right now. If these rookies are hungry for ST...They have positional value. Battle, Bailey, and Madison might not be around to play a Steelers regular season game in 2010. JMO
Agree, I hope we carry six WRs, but our OLB picks could force a 6th WR off the roster. Maybe Sanders does the Punt Returns and Brown goes to the PS. Sanders and Brown's punt return stats were virtually identical last year. But, Brown did return kickoffs and Sanders did not.
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/stats?category=puntreturning&selectLeague=All&selectSeason=2009&selectView=Individual%20Stats

Now, we add another very athletic rookie LB as an UDFA, Lindsey Witten, 6'5" 250 lbs. who looks like he has great potential and may be a good STer.

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2010, 06:42 PM

I seriously doubt the Steelers gave Arnaz Battle nearly a million dollar signing bonus and then not have him make the team. The Rooneys don't do business like that, Battle is an underrated WR and a special teams demon.

Battle will make the team.

skyhawk
04-26-2010, 07:01 PM

I seriously doubt the Steelers gave Arnaz Battle nearly a million dollar signing bonus and then not have him make the team. The Rooneys don't do business like that, Battle is an underrated WR and a special teams demon.

Battle will make the team.

Finally, some sense.

Shawn
04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't watch alot of NFC ball and I don't have alot of exposure to Battle. So, I did some research, read up a bit on him and viewed those highlights. From everything I am reading the Steelers drafted him to be a solid possession WR. The guy is supposed to have very solid hands, nice YAC ability and will play through pain. He sounds exactly like what the doctor ordered. With Ward approaching his last playing days we need a guy who can move chains. I don't trust last years production. I want to see him and Ben. I think this guy could be a very solid pick up for us.

ikestops85
04-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't watch alot of NFC ball and I don't have alot of exposure to Battle. So, I did some research, read up a bit on him and viewed those highlights. From everything I am reading the Steelers drafted him to be a solid possession WR. The guy is supposed to have very solid hands, nice YAC ability and will play through pain. He sounds exactly like what the doctor ordered. With Ward approaching his last playing days we need a guy who can move chains. I don't trust last years production. I want to see him and Ben. I think this guy could be a very solid pick up for us.

I agree with you Shawn. Battle seems to me to be the type of guy that will do anything asked of him and is solid in every area. A Ward type of guy. I understand us signing him ... it's the ARE signing that puzzles me. He is a good locker room guy and a hard worker but nothing special as a receiver. Signing these 2 and then drafting 2 more receivers has me puzzled.

Shawn
04-27-2010, 12:03 PM

I agree with you Shawn. Battle seems to me to be the type of guy that will do anything asked of him and is solid in every area. A Ward type of guy. I understand us signing him ... it's the ARE signing that puzzles me. He is a good locker room guy and a hard worker but nothing special as a receiver. Signing these 2 and then drafting 2 more receivers has me puzzled.

I agree with the Ward comparison...can we say a poor man's Ward? I wouldn't be surprised if this guy really shows up when he has a real QB throwing him the ball.

anger 82&95
04-27-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't watch alot of NFC ball and I don't have alot of exposure to Battle. So, I did some research, read up a bit on him and viewed those highlights. From everything I am reading the Steelers drafted him to be a solid possession WR. The guy is supposed to have very solid hands, nice YAC ability and will play through pain. He sounds exactly like what the doctor ordered. With Ward approaching his last playing days we need a guy who can move chains. I don't trust last years production. I want to see him and Ben. I think this guy could be a very solid pick up for us.After the acquisition I did a bit of snooping around on some 49er sites and the majority of posters were not happy with Battle’s departure. The consensus seemed to be that he was an excellent receiver/special teams player that gave his all for the team.

Shawn
04-27-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't watch alot of NFC ball and I don't have alot of exposure to Battle. So, I did some research, read up a bit on him and viewed those highlights. From everything I am reading the Steelers drafted him to be a solid possession WR. The guy is supposed to have very solid hands, nice YAC ability and will play through pain. He sounds exactly like what the doctor ordered. With Ward approaching his last playing days we need a guy who can move chains. I don't trust last years production. I want to see him and Ben. I think this guy could be a very solid pick up for us.After the acquisition I did a bit of snooping around on some 49er sites and the majority of posters were not happy with Battle’s departure. The consensus seemed to be that he was an excellent receiver/special teams player that gave his all for the team.

That's very good to hear.

SteelAbility
04-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Dude looked dominant against the Lions, Rams, and Cards. :P

SteelHoss
04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
In viewing the highlights he really does remind me of Ward. Now if he can just block... :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2010, 04:41 PM

:?:

Battle and Randle El are both 30 years old. ARE has 348 career receptions for 4,214 yards while Battle has 178 catches for 2,150 yards (essentially double). Last year, ARE had 50 catches and Battle had 5. Why is ARE nothing special as a receiver, but Battle is a Ward type of guy?

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2010, 04:43 PM

His pass had a nice spiral to it. Too bad with Arians we'll never see Battle throw the ball.

He did start at quarterback for Notre Dame for 5 games.

ikestops85
04-28-2010, 05:12 PM

:?:

Battle and Randle El are both 30 years old. ARE has 348 career receptions for 4,214 yards while Battle has 178 catches for 2,150 yards (essentially double). Last year, ARE had 50 catches and Battle had 5. Why is ARE nothing special as a receiver, but Battle is a Ward type of guy?
Don't be bringing all these stats into the conversation or I'm gonna start calling you MSM :D

Battle obviously has less catches and yards because he played for the 49ers. The reason I think he is better than ARE is he makes some tough catches which ARE doesn't ... he throws some crushing blocks which ARE doesn't ... he is a special teams dynamo which ARE isn't.

I don't think Battle is a much better receiver than ARE but he is a much better blocker and better at going up for the ball. He is physical where ARE is not. His special team value puts him over the top against Antwaan which is why I'm glad they signed him and puzzled they signed Antwaan. Signing both would have been okay if they weren't going to use a 3rd and 6th rounder on WRs.

... and just to throw some stats at ya

Battle has made 9 one handed catches and 6 four finger catches compared to 3 and 2 respectively for ARE. You can verify this at

obscurestatsijustmadeup.com :lol: :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Battle isn't a lock. $975,000 hit in an uncapped year won't stop the Steelers from keeping good football players with a future. It won't be the first time a vet was let go with some up front money. If Sweed looks like Sweed...Sweed is gone and they carry six including Battle. If Sweed finally shows up and the 2 rookies show promise...I don't see them sacrificing a rookie with promise because of a $975,000 bonus. Ward is on his way out and Battle doesn't help in the future plans of replacing him. I know how the Rooney's watch their money but I also know the Rooney's are smart business people. Long term productivity has a cost. Battle's signing bonus might be that cost.

The Man of Steel
04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

He did start at quarterback for Notre Dame for 5 games.
Yup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQAL-JZ6QJw

Oviedo
04-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Battle isn't a lock. $975,000 hit in an uncapped year won't stop the Steelers from keeping good football players with a future. It won't be the first time a vet was let go with some up front money. If Sweed looks like Sweed...Sweed is gone and they carry six including Battle. If Sweed finally shows up and the 2 rookies show promise...I don't see them sacrificing a rookie with promise because of a $975,000 bonus. Ward is on his way out and Battle doesn't help in the future plans of replacing him. I know how the Rooney's watch their money but I also know the Rooney's are smart business people. Long term productivity has a cost. Battle's signing bonus might be that cost.

You're right IMO. The 30+ year old receivers are not going to help this team beyond this year. I really don't get both ARE and Battle. They are essentially the exact same player and very similar to Hines Ward in his later playing days. All three are possion receivers.

The Steelers really need to have Sweed get it together this year or our passing offense is going to really struggle with Wallace now getting double teamed. Sweed is the only player other than Wallace who can stretch the field.