PDA

View Full Version : What This Draft Tells Us About What the FO Is Thinking

hawaiiansteel
04-25-2010, 09:36 PM
What This Draft Tells Us About What the Front Office Is Thinking

Apr 25, 2010

The draft provides an important opportunity to look into the minds of the Steelers braintrust (Colbert, Tomlin, etc). What they didn't do is as important as what they did do. Here is what the 2010 draft says to me about the thinking of the Steelers' front office:

* Willie Colon is a keeper at RT. The team had an unexpected chance to draft Brian Baluga in the first round. Although downgraded on some boards, Baluga was generally regarded as one of the top tackles available. By passing on Baluga for an interior lineman, Maurkice Pouncey, the FO indicates that they are not interested in replacing Colon (or shifting him to guard).

* Limas Sweed looks like a bust. The loss of Santonio Holmes could have thrust former second-round pick Sweed into the third- or fourth-WR spot. Instead, the team signed Antwaan Randle-El to be the third receiver and drafted two more WRs, including third-rounder Emmanuel Sanders. With special-teams demon Arnez Battle penciled into the fifth-WR spot, it now appears possible that Sweed will not even make the roster, unless there is an injury or the team goes with six WRs.

* The LaMarr Woodley negotiations are not going well. This one is controversial, but my take on the Steelers choosing not one but two OLBs in the first four rounds is that they plan on replacing Woodley after his contract expires at the end of the 2010 season. Remember when Joey Porter left before the 2007 season? The team responded by drafting two LBs, Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, in the first two rounds. Drafting two players at a position of need gives the team Plan A and Plan B, which paid off in 2007 when Timmons, the first pick, was slow to develop. Unlike last time, the new guys have a year to train up before one has to become a starter.

* Last year's top picks could pay off in 2010. Choosing center Pouncey instead of trading up for guard Mike Iupati gives 2009 third-rounder Kraig Urbik an opportunity to start at RG. Pouncey is likely to compete with Justin Hartwig at center and will probably take over as the starter at some point during the season. Also, the team did not draft a CB until round 5, giving third-rounder Keenan Lewis and fifth-rounder Joe Burnett a shot at William Gay's starting spot. However, the team hedged its bet on the young CBs by bringing back former starter Bryant McFadden.

* Will Allen looks like a dependable safety. The Steelers could have traded up only a few picks in the second round to get USC's Taylor Mays, a highly rated safety. Instead, the team did not draft a safety at all. The FO appears willing to trust the veteran Allen in a starting role if Troy Polamalu or Ryan Clark, who both missed games in 2009, are again injured.

* Casey Hampton will last another 2-3 seasons. Of course, the Steelers would not have extended Hampton's contract if they did not feel that he still had some gas left in the tank. But by not drafting a nose tackle in any round, the team signaled that they do not need to get Hampton's replacement any time soon.

* Stefan Logan is headed for a new team. I lost count of the number of Steelers draft picks who can return punts and/or kickoffs. Of course, the team also signed free-agent Battle as a possible return man. Although Logan did an admirable job in 2009, it looks like the FO wants to save a roster spot by using someone else (or a combination of someone elses) to return kicks in 2010.

* Big Ben is not going anywhere. If the team were serious about trading Rothlisberger, they could have drafted a top QB such as Jimmy Clausen (by trading up slightly in the second round) or Colt McCoy (by trading down in the second round or up in the third) to develop for the future. Instead, they will turn the team back over to their Super Bowl-winning QB after his suspension ends. The FO must be confident that Big Ben will avoid any future shenanigans.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -about-the (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/4/25/1442537/what-this-draft-tells-us-about-the)

Pahn711
04-25-2010, 09:59 PM
This draft told us nothing about Willie Colon. It only told us that the Steelers coveted Pouncy more than Bulaga. Remember that they picked up an offensive tackle in the 5th, and that the Steelers have a habit of turning late round picks into starters.

Did anyone need to be told Limas Sweed is a bust?

I'm not sure this draft provides any insight into Lamar Woodley's contract status either. The Steelers have been getting incredibly thin at outside linebacker depth since the special teams purge last year. Do you have any faith in backups Andre Frazier and Patrick Bailey? I don't. My understanding is that these are guys who have remained on the team due to their special team ability, so it seems smart to find guys who can play special teams AND actually play OLB. On the flip side, maybe the Steelers just felt that this draft had alot of linebacker depth?

I have no doubt that Casey Hampton can play a few more years, but I don't think that had anything to do with the Steelers draft decisions. They have a poor track record of picking defensive linemen in later rounds, and considering they didn't get a crack at the top talent this year, why not wait til they do?

isonator07
04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
This draft told us nothing about Willie Colon. It only told us that the Steelers coveted Pouncy more than Bulaga. Remember that they picked up an offensive tackle in the 5th, and that the Steelers have a habit of turning late round picks into starters.

Did anyone need to be told Limas Sweed is a bust?

I'm not sure this draft provides any insight into Lamar Woodley's contract status either. The Steelers have been getting incredibly thin at outside linebacker depth since the special teams purge last year. Do you have any faith in backups Andre Frazier and Patrick Bailey? I don't. My understanding is that these are guys who have remained on the team due to their special team ability, so it seems smart to find guys who can play special teams AND actually play OLB. On the flip side, maybe the Steelers just felt that this draft had alot of linebacker depth?

I have no doubt that Casey Hampton can play a few more years, but I don't think that had anything to do with the Steelers draft decisions. They have a poor track record of picking defensive linemen in later rounds, and considering they didn't get a crack at the top talent this year, why not wait til they do?

Dan Williams slipped to them in Rd. 1 and T. Cody in Rd. 2 so I'd say the talent was certainly there they just chose to go a different route.

Pahn711
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Dan Williams slipped to them in Rd. 1 and T. Cody in Rd. 2 so I'd say the talent was certainly there they just chose to go a different route.

Possibly Dan Williams, if you think DT was a bigger need than center. Casey Hampton just signed a new contract while Hartwig is on the last year of his. I'm also not sold on T. Cody being a legitimate option, but of course I could be wrong.

It just seems to me that defensive lineman have become tougher and tougher for the Steelers to evaluate properly.

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2010, 10:53 PM
i'd have to believe we would tag woodley if we were having trouble signing him.

there's plenty of others we could/should cut to be able to afford him..including harrison who is much older then him

WoodleyofTroy
04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
There's no salary cap. Give him what he wants.

Pahn711
04-25-2010, 10:58 PM

Unless you buy the Rooney claim that they apply their own personal salary cap. Which you'd have to think they broke with their free agency splurge this offseason.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-25-2010, 11:27 PM

Apr 25, 2010

The draft provides an important opportunity to look into the minds of the Steelers braintrust (Colbert, Tomlin, etc). What they didn't do is as important as what they did do. Here is what the 2010 draft says to me about the thinking of the Steelers' front office:

* Limas Sweed looks like a bust. The loss of Santonio Holmes could have thrust former second-round pick Sweed into the third- or fourth-WR spot. Instead, the team signed Antwaan Randle-El to be the third receiver and drafted two more WRs, including third-rounder Emmanuel Sanders. With special-teams demon Arnez Battle penciled into the fifth-WR spot, it now appears possible that Sweed will not even make the roster, unless there is an injury or the team goes with six WRs.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -about-the (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/4/25/1442537/what-this-draft-tells-us-about-the)

I'm gonna keep my Black & Gold colored glasses on until they get yanked off by reality, and just plan on Sweed catching a zillion touchdowns this year.

phillyesq
04-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Apr 25, 2010

I'm gonna keep my Black & Gold colored glasses on until they get yanked off by reality, and just plan on Sweed catching a zillion touchdowns this year.

This draft will make it hard for Sweed to make the team. Ward, Wallace, ARE, Battle and Sanders are all virtual locks to make the roster. That leaves Sweed competing with Antonio Brown to convince the FO to keep 6 WRs. Even if the Steelers keep six, I'd think it will be hard for Sweed to be active because he does not play STs.

I would have liked to see him get one more chance, but it looks like the Steelers are planning to move on without him.

Oviedo
04-26-2010, 09:00 AM

Apr 25, 2010

This draft will make it hard for Sweed to make the team. Ward, Wallace, ARE, Battle and Sanders are all virtual locks to make the roster. That leaves Sweed competing with Antonio Brown to convince the FO to keep 6 WRs. Even if the Steelers keep six, I'd think it will be hard for Sweed to be active because he does not play STs.

I would have liked to see him get one more chance, but it looks like the Steelers are planning to move on without him.

IMO Battle was brought in to compete for Anthony Madison's Special Teams spot not to be a viable receiver. Three of the five receivers you list are over 30 years of age. If Sweed shows anything he will be kept because he has more upside than any WR other than Wallace. But it gets down to Sweed doing what he is capable of doing.

I don't think that Battle is guaranteed a roster spot. He was brought in by his former ST Coach who is now our ST Coach. However if other players who are younger show they can be good ST players they will push him. All the LBs we drafted are major threats to Battle being on this team.

Slapstick
04-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Sweed does play special teams...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-26-2010, 09:50 AM
I think that this draft shows us that this team most definitely drafts for value over need.

papillon
04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I think that this draft shows us that this team most definitely drafts for value over need.

Yup, that's for sure, not one analyst over the weekend said that the Steelers reached for any of their picks. Now, when that value turns into production, it's all good, when it doesn't well, then it isn't so good.

The OTAs and training camp are going to be very interesting this year, to be sure.

Pappy

phillyesq
04-26-2010, 10:29 AM

Apr 25, 2010

IMO Battle was brought in to compete for Anthony Madison's Special Teams spot not to be a viable receiver. Three of the five receivers you list are over 30 years of age. If Sweed shows anything he will be kept because he has more upside than any WR other than Wallace. But it gets down to Sweed doing what he is capable of doing.

I don't think that Battle is guaranteed a roster spot. He was brought in by his former ST Coach who is now our ST Coach. However if other players who are younger show they can be good ST players they will push him. All the LBs we drafted are major threats to Battle being on this team.

I don't think that Battle should be guaranteed a roster spot. But the Steelers did give him a signing bonus of roughly $1 million. I'd be surprised to see the Rooney's throw away $1 million without getting a return on their investment.

I'd say that I'd also be surprised to see them cut bait with a former high draft choice so quickly, but as they showed with Bruce Davis, they're not afraid to do so.

ANPSTEEL
04-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Yup, that's for sure, not one analyst over the weekend said that the Steelers reached for any of their picks. Now, when that value turns into production, it's all good, when it doesn't well, then it isn't so good.

The OTAs and training camp are going to be very interesting this year, to be sure.

Pappy

yep- It appears that they took the players highest on their board for each pick.

And unlike the former coaching staff- this one seemingly doesn't give a rip about where you are drafted- ability gets the hat.

frankthetank1
04-26-2010, 10:57 AM

even if there is a cap give him what he wants damn it!! i dont buy that reasoning at all. drafting heavy for LB's doesnt mean they are having problems locking up woodley. farrior and harrison are old and we needed to improve st's. i would be more upset losing woodley to FA then i would if the steelers trade ben.

Captain Lemming
04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
* Willie Colon is a keeper at RT. The team had an unexpected chance to draft Brian Baluga in the first round. Although downgraded on some boards, Baluga was generally regarded as one of the top tackles available. By passing on Baluga for an interior lineman, Maurkice Pouncey, the FO indicates that they are not interested in replacing Colon (or shifting him to guard).

Actually all it says is that the Hartwig is worse than Colon. No more, no less. The best center in YEARS over the fourth tackle taken in THIS DRAFT, with center being arguably the weakest starter position on the team, Pouncey is a no brainer. For all we know Colon could be considered a weak link as well.

* Last year's top picks could pay off in 2010. Choosing center Pouncey instead of trading up for guard Mike Iupati gives 2009 third-rounder Kraig Urbik an opportunity to start at RG. Pouncey is likely to compete with Justin Hartwig at center and will probably take over as the starter at some point during the season.

Or perhaps we did not know Iupati would be drafted ONE SPOT AHEAD OF US? What if we had Iupati and Pouncey at a virtual tie? Why trade up when either guy will work for you, and who the better player is is a tossup? Or perhaps the fact that center is the greatest need makes Pouncey a better choice? Or that while Iopati is a drive blocker without peer, he is very flawed in his skill set and technigue. Sounds like a more athletic Kemo II. Less brute power Pouncey is still very powerful but "polished". I think Kemo and Pouncey would make a great pair, with their diverse strengths. I see ZERO evidence of confidence in Urbik. If they had any sort of confidence in him, they would have played him over rookie free agent Foster when Kemo went down.

Also, the team did not draft a CB until round 5, giving third-rounder Keenan Lewis and fifth-rounder Joe Burnett a shot at William Gay's starting spot. However, the team hedged its bet on the young CBs by bringing back former starter Bryant McFadden.

I can buy some of this. Especially if they really like Lewis who got hurt. McFadden removes the "urgency factor" while we see the potential of the young guys. We werent going corner in the first this year prefering Pouncey, second had potential but if we arent crazy for the guys go corner early next year.

* Will Allen looks like a dependable safety. The Steelers could have traded up only a few picks in the second round to get USC's Taylor Mays, a highly rated safety. Instead, the team did not draft a safety at all. The FO appears willing to trust the veteran Allen in a starting role if Troy Polamalu or Ryan Clark, who both missed games in 2009, are again injured.

Again, we dont know for sure when someone will be drafted. Did we actually "pass" on him? No. Do you really think that with say three or four picks before you draft you will always get the player you want? Finding a partner doesnt always work either. Other teams might not want to risk missing on the player they covet because they swapped spots without exacting a very high price.

My house is not for sale but if you just must have it I will sell it to you for 150 percent more than its market value.

* Casey Hampton will last another 2-3 seasons. Of course, the Steelers would not have extended Hampton's contract if they did not feel that he still had some gas left in the tank. But by not drafting a nose tackle in any round, the team signaled that they do not need to get Hampton's replacement any time soon.

Center is just a higher priority.

* Big Ben is not going anywhere. If the team were serious about trading Rothlisberger, they could have drafted a top QB such as Jimmy Clausen (by trading up slightly in the second round) or Colt McCoy (by trading down in the second round or up in the third) to develop for the future. Instead, they will turn the team back over to their Super Bowl-winning QB after his suspension ends. The FO must be confident that Big Ben will avoid any future shenanigans.

Quite obvious. If they were serious about trading Ben, and they had buyers, he would be gone before the draft started.

Dee Dub
04-26-2010, 01:32 PM
* The LaMarr Woodley negotiations are not going well. This one is controversial, but my take on the Steelers choosing not one but two OLBs in the first four rounds is that they plan on replacing Woodley after his contract expires at the end of the 2010 season. Remember when Joey Porter left before the 2007 season? The team responded by drafting two LBs, Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, in the first two rounds. Drafting two players at a position of need gives the team Plan A and Plan B, which paid off in 2007 when Timmons, the first pick, was slow to develop. Unlike last time, the new guys have a year to train up before one has to become a starter.

I think you arenít seeing the big picture on this one. James Harrison is on the other side of 30. And that is probably the only reason two OLB were drafted. You can bet the farm they will lock up Woodley. To think that a 4th round DE who is going to learn a new position in the NFL is going to be something you can bank on isnít being realistic.

Next years class of safeties is going to be better than this years. There might be 4 that go round one.

phillyesq
04-26-2010, 01:50 PM
I think you arenít seeing the big picture on this one. James Harrison is on the other side of 30. And that is probably the only reason two OLB were drafted. You can bet the farm they will lock up Woodley. To think that a 4th round DE who is going to learn a new position in the NFL is going to be something you can bank on isnít being realistic.

In fairness to Hawaiinsteel, he was just passing along the artic.le.

I agree that drafting Worilds and Gibson should NOT be taken as a sign that the Steelers aren't going to retain Woodley. Harrison is 32, and the Steelers have no depth at OLB. Through the years, the Steelers seem to hit with about 50% of their OLB conversion guys. Worilds and Gibson give them 2 OLB prospects to groom. They'll also provided needed depth and should improve the special teams.

I think these selections were about BPA, not about anything to do with Woodley.

Dee Dub
04-26-2010, 02:42 PM

In fairness to Hawaiinsteel, he was just passing along the artic.le.

I agree that drafting Worilds and Gibson should NOT be taken as a sign that the Steelers aren't going to retain Woodley. Harrison is 32, and the Steelers have no depth at OLB. Through the years, the Steelers seem to hit with about 50% of their OLB conversion guys. Worilds and Gibson give them 2 OLB prospects to groom. They'll also provided needed depth and should improve the special teams.

I think these selections were about BPA, not about anything to do with Woodley.

I think the surprise of this draft could be Stevenson Sylvester. He played the rover spot at Utah which was similar to what Brian Urlacher played at New Mexico when they called it Lobo. It takes a versatile athlete who can play that. He is moved around and is generally considered a backer who can cover.

Steel Life
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Here's my take on this...
1. Willie Colon is a keeper at RT...
RTs are way more easy to find than foundation-stone centers. While I wasn't crazy for Pouncey, I understood the logic & you can't fault them for taking a guy that most had highly regarded. Bulaga is strictly a RT in the NFL & I don't giving 1st round money to a RT. Besides, if Urbik fails & one of the Scotts proves to be a better RT prospect, then Colon still be moved inside.

2. Limas Sweed looks like a bust...
Well yeah...but a redeemable one yet, especially since he could end being the only big WR the team has. Right now the team has 11 WRs (that includes Logan) & with the exception of 3, ALL are 6ft. or shorter (Limas = 6'4", Battle = 6'1", Brandon London = 6'4"). The team will only carry 6 WRs at most & assuming that 3 are locks (Hines, Wallace, Sanders), two are probably set for veteran signees ARE & Battle...that leaves 1 spot for 6 guys to battle it out (Limas, Logan, Brown, Grisham, London & Cherry) & I think it goes to Limas because of his size & draft position. Logan is imminently replaceable, as are Grisham & Cherry, & I think London & Brown are destined for the PS or IR - unless either ARE or Battle completely wash out & the team feels it needs to keep Brown on the roster. Limas could make this a moot point by being the WR we all believe he can be, but the key to this decision more likely lies with the return candidates & not him.

3. The LaMarr Woodley negotiations are not going well...
I don't believe this at all - LaMarr seems to like it here & appreciates the "Steeler Way". Now I do believe he wants a deal similar to what Harrison has & hopefully will offer a slight discount to get it done. I think the drafting of the OLB prospects has more to do with the threat of injury than contract issues. It's easy to see that OLB - the most important & storied position on the Steelers - was the one with the least depth. There was no one behind them & that needed to be rectified. Besides, the Steelers are famous for churning out LBs - anyone who thought that some players with talent wouldn't be brought in eventually was living in a vacuum.

4. Last year's top picks (re: Kraig Urbik) could pay off in 2010...
Pouncey's choice has more to do with Hartwig & Haloti Ngata than it does Urbik. Regardless, hopefully the light has come on for him & he exhibits what the FO saw in him when they drafted him. The recent news that he was working at center is revealing in that they're trying to expend his value to the team & we won't see him cut loose this year - nothing more. I honestly believe that Ramon Foster still goes into the season on equal footing with Essex for the RG slot & Urbik gets to dress at least.

5. The team did not draft a CB until round 5...
There are some of us here who believe that Joe Burnett has what it takes to be a good starting CB in the league & what he needs is time & repetitions. As for Lewis...I don't know, we just haven't seen that much from him & I think that the return of McFadden has as much to do with him as it does Gay. I just think that the Steelers saw their worst defensive nightmare last year - too many young players on the field which translated into blown assignments & the veterans trying to do too much. We've all heard about how hard the D is to assimilate as a young player - last year was the proof.

6. Will Allen looks like a dependable safety...
This one has more to do with what safety was available & what position they were focusing on. If they were looking for a safety that can play like Troy, he went to KC & there wasn't anyone else after that - and in that regard, Mays was never an option. If you think they were looking for Ryan's replacement, then they were looking at some others that they ended up either not getting or passing on. Either way, Allen & Mundy are more Clark types than Troy types & they have bodies there.

7. Casey Hampton will last another 2-3 seasons...
Well considering that he signed a below-market deal & next year there may be a lock-out, his chances of sticking around are great. But in all honesty, this the area where I feel the Steelers missed a great opportunity. Casey's days of being a guy that MUST be double-teamed are over & he gets substituted for more & more as teams learned they could pass against us. Making the matter worse is that his primary back-up - Hoke - is as old as he is...and even worse is that makes the 4 top D-linemen on the team all in their 30s. Aside from Casey's conditioning, Aarron Smith is getting nicked more, & Keisel is on borrowed time as a impact starter. I know that Hood represents the future - & a good one at that - but he isn't enough. As for the rest, Sunny Harris is still an unknown prospect & the rest are roster filler. Aside from Hood - there isn't an impact or game-changing D-Lineman on the team & that's where some talent from this year's draft could've been used. The team will regret passing on Linval Joseph & Cam Thomas - where at the least they are both space-eaters & good young rotational talents for an aging line.

8. Stefan Logan is headed for a new team...
I believe this to be a no-brainer. Logan gave us all that he had, but he had ball-security issues & isn't a big enough threat to dedicate one roster spot to. His receiving skills aren't a real consideration in keeping him especially since he'll face challenges from more skilled players like Sanders, Brown & ARE.

9. Big Ben is not going anywhere...
Nor should he have been...there wasn't a single QB in this draft worth giving him up for. And as much as I like Dixon, he will need this season to make the next step in his development to convince the team that he can lead them as playoff contenders. Ben is too valuable to this team to give him for so little - simply put, he makes up for the deficiencies that our offense has & in some cases the defense's too. Hopefully with a more balanced attack, Ben will prove to be even more successful & lead us to playoffs once again!

Steelerphile
04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Here's my take on this...

4. Last year's top picks (re: Kraig Urbik) could pay off in 2010...
Pouncey's choice has more to do with Hartwig & Haloti Ngata than it does Urbik. Regardless, hopefully the light has come on for him & he exhibits what the FO saw in him when they drafted him. The recent news that he was working at center is revealing in that they're trying to expend his value to the team & we won't see him cut loose this year - nothing more. I honestly believe that Ramon Foster still goes into the season on equal footing with Essex for the RG slot & Urbik gets to dress at least.

I don't think Pouncey will play center as a rookie. I believe that he will start at RG. I guess this will be interesting to see what happens since apparently there are more than a few fans who have faith in Essex. and I don't really.

7. Casey Hampton will last another 2-3 seasons...
Well considering that he signed a below-market deal & next year there may be a lock-out, his chances of sticking around are great. But in all honesty, this the area where I feel the Steelers missed a great opportunity. Casey's days of being a guy that MUST be double-teamed are over & he gets substituted for more & more as teams learned they could pass against us. Making the matter worse is that his primary back-up - Hoke - is as old as he is...and even worse is that makes the 4 top D-linemen on the team all in their 30s. Aside from Casey's conditioning, Aarron Smith is getting nicked more, & Keisel is on borrowed time as a impact starter. I know that Hood represents the future - & a good one at that - but he isn't enough. As for the rest, Sunny Harris is still an unknown prospect & the rest are roster filler. Aside from Hood - there isn't an impact or game-changing D-Lineman on the team & that's where some talent from this year's draft could've been used. The team will regret passing on Linval Joseph & Cam Thomas - where at the least they are both space-eaters & good young rotational talents for an aging line.

I doubt the Steelers will regret passing on Linval Joseph or Cam Thomas. From what I understand, Hood is a candidate to play NT, as is Harris and they drafted a developmental lineman, this year. In the 3-4, how many lineman do they dress on gameday 5? I think they are good for another season, unless they have two season ending injuries to starters.

8. Stefan Logan is headed for a new team...
I believe this to be a no-brainer. Logan gave us all that he had, but he had ball-security issues & isn't a big enough threat to dedicate one roster spot to. His receiving skills aren't a real consideration in keeping him especially since he'll face challenges from more skilled players like Sanders, Brown & ARE.

People certainly are writing off the best KO returner they have had in 20 years rather abruptly. Although I don't think he will last if all he does in returns. I still hope they try to give him the ball from scrimmage and few times and find out what he can do. However, I think his release is far from a no-brainer.

]

Chadman
04-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Interesting how people see different things from the same situation.

Chadman's take-

O-Line- Willie Colon won't be let go by the Steelers. The drafting of Pouncey over Bulaga has more to do with the Steelers missing out on Mack, Wood & Unger last season than it does with a renewed committment to Willie Colon, who the Steelers coaches have always liked. Steelers showed last season they wanted an upgrade at Center, but missed on the guys they wanted. They didn't miss this season. Drafting Charles Scott is likely a move to bring pressure on the back-up OT's & OG's than the starters- at least at this point. Jonathon Scott was likely signed to replace Tony Hills as the back-up LT. The RG position will be Pouncey's this season, meaning the value of Essex diminishes. Ramon Foster did just as well as Essex when inserted (not that this was great, but still..) & Urbik sits behind both on the depth chart. With Pouncey added, Legursky is no longer the back-up at Center, making him expendable. Steelers will hold what? 9 OL on the roster? Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Pouncey, Colon are locks. Jonathon Scott can play LT & RT, put him on the roster. Ramon Foster looked good last season- keep him. That's 7. So Tony Hills, Trai Essex, Kraig Urbik & Charles Scott fight for 2 spots. Hills is likely gone. So Essex, Urbik & Charles Scott fight for 2 spots. That's your camp battle right there.

WR- Limas Sweed has one thing on his side that the 2 new rookies do not have- the ability to be the #1 WR for the Steelers. Brown & Sanders are more #3 type WR's, and Wallace is a deep threat. Ward is 85 years old, so the need for a #1 in the future is pretty high (hence Chadman calling for Dez Bryant on draft day..). So here's the thing, Randle El & Battle won't be Ward's replacement. Wallace won't be, neither are Brown & Sanders. Only Sweed has the physical tools to replace Ward. For that reason, Chadman thinks Sweed is given plenty of opportunity to stick around. Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sanders & Battle are likely to stay. Sweed will fight Brown for the #6 spot that will be available because Logan will be expendable with the addition of 500 ST guys.

LB- Surprisingly, knowing that Tomlin loves athletic LB's, nobody has considered Gibson to be a future ILB to partner Timmons, who have similar physical traits. It makes sense- Worilds is Harrison's future replacement- the perfect edge rusher, Woodley is the other side, forming a formidable pass rushing combo. Timmons and Gibson provide the athletic, fast combo inside that gives Tomlin and the coaches flexibility on coverage assignments. Remember- Gibson isn't a great pass rusher, just very athletic. Sylvester has back-up written all over him- but likely PS for next season until Farrior rides off into the sunset. Chadman doubts the Steelers would let Woodley walk at this point in his career.

DB- Several of us expected a high round CB or Safety. Neither eventuated, causing confusion for most of us. However, reading the transcript from Colbert, post-draft, it would seem that McFadden's return was 'in the bag' a day or two before the draft. It's likely they knew that they couldn't get a better option than McFadden for next season, giving Burnett, Gay & Lewis another year to develop before being asked to become starting options. No safety selection could also mean that Lewis is considered a future FS.

Snatch98
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
I agree on Sweed Chadman. He'll be given the chance to prove himself and I think he will. If he doesn't he's very easy to cut.

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Chadman's take-

O-Line- Willie Colon won't be let go by the Steelers. The drafting of Pouncey over Bulaga has more to do with the Steelers missing out on Mack, Wood & Unger last season than it does with a renewed committment to Willie Colon, who the Steelers coaches have always liked. Steelers showed last season they wanted an upgrade at Center, but missed on the guys they wanted. They didn't miss this season. Drafting Charles Scott is likely a move to bring pressure on the back-up OT's & OG's than the starters- at least at this point. Jonathon Scott was likely signed to replace Tony Hills as the back-up LT. The RG position will be Pouncey's this season, meaning the value of Essex diminishes. Ramon Foster did just as well as Essex when inserted (not that this was great, but still..) & Urbik sits behind both on the depth chart. With Pouncey added, Legursky is no longer the back-up at Center, making him expendable. Steelers will hold what? 9 OL on the roster? Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Pouncey, Colon are locks. Jonathon Scott can play LT & RT, put him on the roster. Ramon Foster looked good last season- keep him. That's 7. So Tony Hills, Trai Essex, Kraig Urbik & Charles Scott fight for 2 spots. Hills is likely gone. So Essex, Urbik & Charles Scott fight for 2 spots. That's your camp battle right there.

WR- Limas Sweed has one thing on his side that the 2 new rookies do not have- the ability to be the #1 WR for the Steelers. Brown & Sanders are more #3 type WR's, and Wallace is a deep threat. Ward is 85 years old, so the need for a #1 in the future is pretty high (hence Chadman calling for Dez Bryant on draft day..). So here's the thing, Randle El & Battle won't be Ward's replacement. Wallace won't be, neither are Brown & Sanders. Only Sweed has the physical tools to replace Ward. For that reason, Chadman thinks Sweed is given plenty of opportunity to stick around. Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sanders & Battle are likely to stay. Sweed will fight Brown for the #6 spot that will be available because Logan will be expendable with the addition of 500 ST guys.

LB- Surprisingly, knowing that Tomlin loves athletic LB's, nobody has considered Gibson to be a future ILB to partner Timmons, who have similar physical traits. It makes sense- Worilds is Harrison's future replacement- the perfect edge rusher, Woodley is the other side, forming a formidable pass rushing combo. Timmons and Gibson provide the athletic, fast combo inside that gives Tomlin and the coaches flexibility on coverage assignments. Remember- Gibson isn't a great pass rusher, just very athletic. Sylvester has back-up written all over him- but likely PS for next season until Farrior rides off into the sunset. Chadman doubts the Steelers would let Woodley walk at this point in his career.

DB- Several of us expected a high round CB or Safety. Neither eventuated, causing confusion for most of us. However, reading the transcript from Colbert, post-draft, it would seem that McFadden's return was 'in the bag' a day or two before the draft. It's likely they knew that they couldn't get a better option than McFadden for next season, giving Burnett, Gay & Lewis another year to develop before being asked to become starting options. No safety selection could also mean that Lewis is considered a future FS.

I agree with just about everything that you said Chadman except i believe Gibson stays at OLB.

Oviedo
04-27-2010, 07:51 AM

Chadman's take-

Good post and I agree.

OL--I think we underestimate that it may be Kemo who is the ventual odd man out. He is a liability is pass blocking. Scott seem like he is detined for the PS to me.

LB--All the LBs drafted this year were a signal that the back ups in the form of Baily, Frazier and Harrison are severely lacking. Two of those three will be gone. The OLBs were drafted because the FO also noticed only 2 sacks by Harrison in last 8 games. This is a real concern going into this season.

DB--As said all along, Burnett and Lewis are going to be keepers. That is why there was no panic drafting like the fans wanted.

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I agree on Sweed Chadman. He'll be given the chance to prove himself and I think he will. If he doesn't he's very easy to cut.

that's a little odd... you think he will prove himself but he is very easy to cut?

I think Wallace proved how easy it is to move past Sweed. Catch the ball when you are wide open and you will have success. Sweed has yet to do this and last year it cost us a game.

If a rookie comes in and makes the easy catches Sweed is done. He has history with the team but it's not good history.

I would love for Sweed to be everything the fans want him to be... unfortunately I think he will never reach his potential on our uni...

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 03:20 PM

that's a little odd... you think he will prove himself but he is very easy to cut?

I think Wallace proved how easy it is to move past Sweed. Catch the ball when you are wide open and you will have success. Sweed has yet to do this and last year it cost us a game.

If a rookie comes in and makes the easy catches Sweed is done. He has history with the team but it's not good history.

I would love for Sweed to be everything the fans want him to be... unfortunately I think he will never reach his potential on our uni...

It was more than Sweed's drop that cost us the Bengals game.

Pahn711
04-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Steelers will hold what? 9 OL on the roster? Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Pouncey, Colon are locks. Jonathon Scott can play LT & RT, put him on the roster. Ramon Foster looked good last season- keep him. That's 7. So Tony Hills, Trai Essex, Kraig Urbik & Charles Scott fight for 2 spots. Hills is likely gone. So Essex, Urbik & Charles Scott fight for 2 spots. That's your camp battle right there.

Trai Essex also has position flexibility and extensive experience in comparison with those other two guys, I'm not so sure he'll be on the bubble. Remember, he started all 16 games last year and didn't do too bad.

LB- Surprisingly, knowing that Tomlin loves athletic LB's, nobody has considered Gibson to be a future ILB to partner Timmons, who have similar physical traits.

Its not surprising when you listen to Coach Butler talk about him improving as a pass rusher as last year progressed. Hes also a pretty big guy, looks more like an OLB to me.

Chadman
04-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Steelers will hold what? 9 OL on the roster? Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Pouncey, Colon are locks. Jonathon Scott can play LT & RT, put him on the roster. Ramon Foster looked good last season- keep him. That's 7. So Tony Hills, Trai Essex, Kraig Urbik & Charles Scott fight for 2 spots. Hills is likely gone. So Essex, Urbik & Charles Scott fight for 2 spots. That's your camp battle right there.

Trai Essex also has position flexibility and extensive experience in comparison with those other two guys, I'm not so sure he'll be on the bubble. Remember, he started all 16 games last year and didn't do too bad.

LB- Surprisingly, knowing that Tomlin loves athletic LB's, nobody has considered Gibson to be a future ILB to partner Timmons, who have similar physical traits.

Its not surprising when you listen to Coach Butler talk about him improving as a pass rusher as last year progressed. Hes also a pretty big guy, looks more like an OLB to me.

So you are saying Essex makes the roster and the camp battle is Urbik vs Scott? If so, Scott has the much overvalued 'position flexibility' that should vault him over Urbik..

And as for the size of Gibson- around 240lbs is what he's listed as. From the same transcript from Butler he talks about the size of the current ILB, and states Timmons is '250lbs'. Timmons bigger than Gibson? And Gibson is the OLB?

Pahn711
04-27-2010, 07:24 PM
So you are saying Essex makes the roster and the camp battle is Urbik vs Scott? If so, Scott has the much overvalued 'position flexibility' that should vault him over Urbik..

Thats assuming that I agree with your interpretations of the o-line camp battles. I don't rule Hills out yet, and as Ramon Foster and Darnell Stapleton have proved, there could be a darkhorse undrafted guy who comes out and makes the team.

Position flexibility may be overvalued at most positions, but not on the offensive line when many times only two backups suit up. If I were a coach and only suiting up two backups for five positions, I'd want those two guys to be able to step into all of them.

And as for the size of Gibson- around 240lbs is what he's listed as. From the same transcript from Butler he talks about the size of the current ILB, and states Timmons is '250lbs'. Timmons bigger than Gibson? And Gibson is the OLB?

I'm not gonna argue their listed weights with you, I'll concede that size is probably not a valid point in this situation. The difference between Timmons and Gibson (to me anyways) is that Timmons was already an OLB coming out of college, Gibson was a DE.
When is the last time the Steelers converted a DE to ILB? I certainly don't know. And from any interviews I've read, the coaches tend to focus more on his potential ability to rush the passer.