PDA

View Full Version : one team seriously considered Big Ben trade

SteelCrazy
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3030/proFootba ... hlisberger (http://m.nbcsports.com/s/3030/proFootballTalkDetails?itemUriVal=feed%2323ELJczt9 N2QJp5S%2FNkRnYAysaexdJA&view=hdl&itemTitle=Report:%20At%20least%20one%20team%20seri ously%20considered%20trading%20for%20Roethlisberge r)

PSU_dropout43
04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
It was the Raiders.

Big Ben and 18th pick for Nmandi Asoumgh and 8th pick.

Herewegosteelers!
04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Glad that it didn't happen! :!: That's not near the value of a 28 year old two time Super Bowl Champion QB. Especially if this wakes him up for good...

Pahn711
04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
It was the Raiders.

Big Ben and 18th pick for Nmandi Asoumgh and 8th pick.

Not nearly good enough. If Jay Culter is worth two 1sts and a 3rd, I wouldn't trade Ben for anything less. I would argue hes worth even more comparing their respective resumes, but considering Ben's situation, I'd be satisfied.

Honestly, if this is true, I think the Raiders had alot of gall even demanding our 1st in return. Thats an insult, and I'm sure the Steelers didn't give this offer the time of day.

cruzer8
04-25-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't buy it.

Florio being a douche again and using someone else's name to do it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm sure several teams considered it....but they were the ones calling the Steelers, not the other way around.

A couple of teams may have kicked the tires, but soon realized that we were not liquidating this asset the way we did with Mr. Holmes.

phillyesq
04-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Schefter and Florio really blew this out of proportion. Schefter reported that Ben was being shopped. Florio, who recently has done little more than turn the "tweets" of real journalists into stories, repeated this story without confirming any of the sources. It was later reported that the Steelers weren't shopping Ben, but that a few other teams made offers.

Florio, rather than admit that he is a plagiarizing hack who failed to confirm a rumor before peddling it as the truth, tries to spin the issue as the Steelers trying to put toothpaste in the tube when, in reality, the whole situation was created by the media failing to confirm stories.

BDESteel
04-26-2010, 10:54 AM
What bothers me is. If Ben screws up at all again, even if it's not a serious allegation like sexual assault, his career could be over.

I have mixed feelings about the guy, but would hate for his career to end over anything other than his inability to play the game.

papillon
04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
What bothers me is. If Ben screws up at all again, even if it's not a serious allegation like sexual assault, his career could be over.

I have mixed feelings about the guy, but would hate for his career to end over anything other than his inability to play the game.

Well, he's put himself in this position, so, it's up to him to control and correct the problems. I believe he'll be able to do it; he seems to thrive under pressure.

Pappy

Steel Life
04-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Schefter and Florio really blew this out of proportion. Schefter reported that Ben was being shopped. Florio, who recently has done little more than turn the "tweets" of real journalists into stories, repeated this story without confirming any of the sources. It was later reported that the Steelers weren't shopping Ben, but that a few other teams made offers.

Florio, rather than admit that he is a plagiarizing hack who failed to confirm a rumor before peddling it as the truth, tries to spin the issue as the Steelers trying to put toothpaste in the tube when, in reality, the whole situation was created by the media failing to confirm stories.
Hasn't this been the case with almost every story surrounding Ben this past few months? Everyone seems intent on reporting innuendo, conjecture & opinion as fact. Then yesterday we have ESPN (the world-wide leader in rumor-mongering) doing even more of it using Najeh Davenport as their primary source of info...really ESPN, is that the best you can do? How about these guys reporting things fairly for a change rather than making Ben the example for every spoiled athlete & ignoring what others have done & are doing.

Pahn711
04-26-2010, 02:09 PM

On the flip side, the Steelers could have came out when this first started and said that they were not shopping him. Instead, they chose to neither confirm nor deny it when asked, which gives those two hacks credibility.

fezziwig
04-26-2010, 06:56 PM
How long will Ben be on probation ?

fordfixer
04-26-2010, 06:59 PM
How long will Ben be on probation ?

How long is he going to play football?

Shawn
04-26-2010, 07:02 PM

On the flip side, the Steelers could have came out when this first started and said that they were not shopping him. Instead, they chose to neither confirm nor deny it when asked, which gives those two hacks credibility.

Why would they do that? The rumors served a purpose.

Pahn711
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Which was what? Scare Big Ben into obedience or alienate him further from the team?

Nothing is confirmed from the Steelers, they are often cryptic about personnel plans. So I don't think we can say with any certainty that the rumors served as a message to Ben. But this definitely seems like a situation where they should made their intentions known.

SteelAbility
04-27-2010, 08:06 AM

Which was what? Scare Big Ben into obedience or alienate him further from the team?

Nothing is confirmed from the Steelers, they are often cryptic about personnel plans. So I don't think we can say with any certainty that the rumors served as a message to Ben. But this definitely seems like a situation where they should made their intentions known.

The rumors can create an artificial sense of value, which could ripple into some idiot FO, like STL or DET, making a ridiculous offer to get Ben.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM

The rumors came out of the Steelers organization. This was planted for a purpose. They did it to send a message.

If they wanted to trade him then they would just do it....the way they did with Santonio. No indication at all prior to him being dealt (at least not from the Steelers side of it).

If the rumors would have been sources from Oakland and St. Louis, then I would have given it some credibility, but as soon as I saw that it came from Pittsburgh sources I knew that it was a smokescreen.

Pahn711
04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
The rumors came out of the Steelers organization. This was planted for a purpose. They did it to send a message.

If they wanted to trade him then they would just do it....the way they did with Santonio. No indication at all prior to him being dealt (at least not from the Steelers side of it).

If the rumors would have been sources from Oakland and St. Louis, then I would have given it some credibility, but as soon as I saw that it came from Pittsburgh sources I knew that it was a smokescreen.

According to everything I've read, Schefter was the first to give to accentuate the rumors. I think you are giving him too much credibility if you believe his sources were directly from the Steelers FO. Unless I'm missing something here, it seems to me like even that can be called into question. I guess I'd just like to see a more credible source confirm this before buying in.