PDA

View Full Version : Don't shoot the Messenger (PFT Article)

brothervad
04-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Let's just say for those of us who would like to see it go away...it's not going to go away soon, if ever.

brothervad

Roethlisberger hired bodyguards after having a gun put to his head
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2010 9:20 AM ET
In an eye-opening segment on Sunday morning's Outside the Lines, the network that initially ignored for multiple days the first allegations of sexual assault against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, several intriguing facts and contentions emerged.

For starters, the report focused on a claim Roethlisberger made to ESPN The Magazine a couple of years ago that he decided to hire bodyguards after someone pulled a gun on him. A friend of a teammate, speaking with the 60 Minutes-style darkened face and altered voice, said that one of Roethlisberger's bodyguards explained that the gun was pulled by the boyfriend of a girl to whom Roethlisberger was talking outside a bar.

Meanwhile, former Steelers running back Najeh Davenport and former Steelers safety Mike Logan talked about an incident that occurred in the locker room in the season after the team's victory in Super Bowl XL. Linebacker Joey Porter, in a speech that Davenport described as "powerful" (like, we suppose, the odor from an uncontained turd in a clothes hamper), called Ben out for doing his own thing and going his own way -- and for being the last guy to arrive at work and the first one to leave.

ESPN's Kelly Naqi also did some sleuthing as to one of the most common local complaints regarding Roethlisberger: that he behaves like an ass in public. Citing workers at local establishments who requested anonymity, Naqi reported that Roethlisberger has a reputation for being "demanding and condescending" to staff, and "rude" to customers.

So as the Steelers, unable to get what they wanted via trade, now forced to try to rehab the situation, it looks like they've got their work cut out for them, both in the locker room and beyond.

Discipline of Steel
04-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Dont worry...everyone is just trying to dog-pile on to get their name on TV. This will get lumped in with everything else and make no difference in the long run. Ben is still down to his last chance regardless.

feltdizz
04-25-2010, 02:01 PM
If Ben was the last to work and the first to leave at practices for the SB I could see Peezy calling Ben out because Ben was terrible in that game.

I could also see why Ben was chilling because he played amazing in the playoff run.

The stories will continue to run and unless it's shocking new evidence it will rally the team and fans around Ben in the long run. You can only kick the horse so many times.

hawaiiansteel
04-25-2010, 02:08 PM
If Ben was the last to work and the first to leave at practices for the SB I could see Peezy calling Ben out because Ben was terrible in that game.

I could also see why Ben was chilling because he played amazing in the playoff run.

The stories will continue to run and unless it's shocking new evidence it will rally the team and fans around Ben in the long run. You can only kick the horse so many times.

http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

brothervad
04-25-2010, 02:16 PM
You know the one thing I agree with this article though and the stories on ESPN. The only way Ben succeeds in redeeming himself has little to do with the fans.

Honestly, that ship has sailed and while I think some may be swayed I think its for the most part not relevant.

It's his teammates that he must win back. I do believe Mike Logan has some inside info that others do not get. I believe there are some that are fairly fed up with this stuff.

If Ben and the Steelers come together it will then become a "Circle the wagons" and it's us against the world metality.

It has worked in the past, and I think it will be imperative for this to heal.

In other words, how does Ben copy the Kobe model--win your team back first.

brothervad

Steel Life
04-25-2010, 04:32 PM
I'll say this...this does seem as though people are piling on & some of it is dubious. As for Porter, he was a borderline embarrassment to the team himself with questionable "habits" & behaviors & "60 Minutes"-style eyewitness is nothing more than substantiating conjecture & innuendo. Lastly - I think no one should have any complaint about Ben's preparation unless we're prepared to critique each & every one of the players & coaches. Ben has won two Super Bowls in a short time using "his way" while other better prepared QBs haven't done as well - not everyone has to be Peyton Manning.

Let's get over this, give him a chance to get right & get back to football.

feltdizz
04-25-2010, 06:29 PM
You know the one thing I agree with this article though and the stories on ESPN. The only way Ben succeeds in redeeming himself has little to do with the fans.

Honestly, that ship has sailed and while I think some may be swayed I think its for the most part not relevant.

It's his teammates that he must win back. I do believe Mike Logan has some inside info that others do not get. I believe there are some that are fairly fed up with this stuff.

If Ben and the Steelers come together it will then become a "Circle the wagons" and it's us against the world metality.

It has worked in the past, and I think it will be imperative for this to heal.

In other words, how does Ben copy the Kobe model--win your team back first.

brothervad

Kobe didn't win his teammates back... He asked for a trade 2 years ago before the season started. He said he was ready to leave due to the fans and managements lack of putting together a strong team.

The team HATES Kobe...probably because it's his team and he tends to be selfish and an azzz... but he is also one of the best ever to play the game.

Kobe didn't win his team back... He won a championship... bought his wife the Kobe special " house on a finger" and didn't get in any trouble after that...

and it didn't hurt that the Lakers Owner who is 70+ was caught wth a 18 year old hooker while driving under the influence.