PDA

View Full Version : Is Colbert fibbing?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-25-2010, 10:43 AM
From the post-draft presser fordfixer posted:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Post-Draft-Press-Conference/d0919a87-711e-46a8-80af-de22a134cfb2

Q) Kevin, after the Pouncey pick, you said things were falling right into place and going accordingly. How did the rest of the draft go? Was it pretty much according to plan?

KC: Yes, Coach and I just spoke to the scouts and the coaches and we thank them for their efforts in putting this thing together. And when you put it together, and everybody worked at it, and you get them up there correctly, they’re going to come off correctly. And we followed our board to a tee. We never varied from that board...

Now I have to say that I'm not even close to a minor league draft afficionado. So, though I noticed the lack of NT drafted, I don't feel like I've got the perspective one way or another to comment on the Steeler's draft strategy.

But I have noticed a lot of criticism of the front office, of pretty much the type of "What were they thinking? ... They were blind...". Until I read this quote above, I figured maybe somehow the Steelers had dropped the ball during the draft.

But here's Colbert saying it was perfect??!! How can that be?

cruzer8
04-25-2010, 10:45 AM

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Post-Draft-Press-Conference/d0919a87-711e-46a8-80af-de22a134cfb2

Q) Kevin, after the Pouncey pick, you said things were falling right into place and going accordingly. How did the rest of the draft go? Was it pretty much according to plan?

KC: Yes, Coach and I just spoke to the scouts and the coaches and we thank them for their efforts in putting this thing together. And when you put it together, and everybody worked at it, and you get them up there correctly, they’re going to come off correctly. And we followed our board to a tee. We never varied from that board...

Now I have to say that I'm not even close to a minor league draft afficionado. So, though I noticed the lack of NT drafted, I don't feel like I've got the perspective one way or another to comment on the Steeler's draft strategy.

But I have noticed a lot of criticism of the front office, of pretty much the type of "What were they thinking? ... They were blind...". Until I read this quote above, I figured maybe somehow the Steelers had dropped the ball during the draft.

Because they set forth a game plan and stuck to it. Like they always do. Because over-reactionary fans aren't allowed in the war room. Because they realize the draft is not only about making the team better now but also about making it better for the future.

MaxAMillion
04-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Coach Butler made a similar statement about the Steelers following the board. They obviously were high on Worilds which is why they drafted him in round 2. I feel a lot better about the draft now that got McFadden. I really like the Sylvester pick. I think he will develop into a starting ILB. I also like Scott as an OL. I think he can develop into a solid OG with size. The Steelers need to improve their size and strength inside and I think Scott gives them a chance at doing that along with Pouncey.

Chadman
04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
To keep players like Sylvester & Scott on the roster, some tough decisions might need to be made.

Sylvester might be up against Key Fox for a roster spot, Scott up against the underwhelming Kraig Urbik...Training Camp should be interesting...

proudpittsburgher
04-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Mostly because opinions are like assho . . . um, er noses, everyone has one. It's just the people on TV, who have nothing to lose because being wrong holds no weigfht in their line of business, have nothing to lose. So they talk, and the Steelers keep on trucking. Believe what has been proven. The Steeler way. Can you say the same thing about Mel Kiper and Todd McShay. I saw that Kiper hit 8 of 32 selections right in the first round. And he was the leader int he clubhouse. That knowing who was going 1 and 2, so he was actually 6 of 30. And all this guy has to do for a living is get this stuff right. :roll:

WoodleyofTroy
04-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I think they went in with a plan of thinking too much about recent drafts.

Worilds in the 2nd (Woodley in the 2nd)
Sanders in the 3rd (Wallace in the 3rd)
Scott a guard / tackle with a mean streak and flexibility (to replace Colon a guard / tackle with a mean streak and flexibility)

This is all fine. But they obviously reached to do so, passing up on some talent (referring to worilds and sanders, not scott). Just hope it doesn't backfire, as there is only one Woodley and Wallace.

cruzer8
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Scott a guard / tackle with a mean streak and flexibility (to replace Colon a guard / tackle with a mean streak and flexibility)

This is all fine. But they obviously reached to do so, passing up on some talent (referring to worilds and sanders, not scott). Just hope it doesn't backfire, as there is only one Woodley and Wallace.

Message boards are the only place I am seeing this.

birtikidis
04-25-2010, 09:25 PM
kiper was saying that if SCott came out last year he would have been a 1st rounder... so We'll see with him...

papillon
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
kiper was saying that if SCott came out last year he would have been a 1st rounder... so We'll see with him...

Where is all of this first round last year stuff coming from? This would be the third guy that the Steelers drafted 5th round or later that was a 1st last year if they would have come out.

Jonathan Dwyer
Ciron Black
Chris Scott

I find this all very difficult to believe.

Pappy

WoodleyofTroy
04-25-2010, 09:45 PM

True, but message boards get their rankings from the people that get paid to evaluate. Yes Mayock is a talent scout.

WoodleyofTroy
04-25-2010, 09:51 PM

Where is all of this first round last year stuff coming from? This would be the third guy that the Steelers drafted 5th round or later that was a 1st last year if they would have come out.

Jonathan Dwyer
Ciron Black
Chris Scott

Pappy

Around Jan/Feb of 2009 before players decide if they're going pro or not, Ciron Black was right there with Michael Oher as first round Offensive Tackles. But he returned to school.

And post 2009 draft, McShay's first mock draft had him (Ciron Black) in the first round for 2010.

cruzer8
04-25-2010, 09:58 PM

True, but message boards get their rankings from the people that get paid to evaluate. Yes Mayock is a talent scout.

Mayock gushed openly over our picks.

Northern_Blitz
04-25-2010, 10:19 PM

Jonathan Dwyer
Ciron Black
Chris Scott

Pappy

I wouldn't trust anyone as an underclassman thinkign about coming out. They must tell at least 75 guys each year that they'll be 1st rounders.

Pahn711
04-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Instead of listening to the opinions of supposed draft experts, why not just look at the Steelers roster for yourself? Most of the criticisms seem to revolve around the positions they drafted, not the players abilities.

The Steelers needed depth at outside linebacker, as the top two backups are special teams aces with no real promise of being capable of excelling as 3-4 outside linebackers in the Steelers system. Not one draft expert I can recall had outside linebacker as a steelers need, yet there it is.

Looking at Limas Sweed and Stefan Logan, theres two roster spots right there for their new wide recievers to make the team. Especially if one or both of them can return kicks. Replacing single role players with players who have position flexibility has always been the Steelers goal.

The defensive tackle situation would most likely not have been resolved with any player they could have picked up at 18 overall (of course thats debatable). They have tried many times to find them in later rounds and have failed. I'm also not so sure they have a roster spot for a new one right now. Hampton and Hoke are entrenched, and according to Colbert, Sonney Harris should not be ruled out.

My point is, knowing the Steelers roster along with their draft tendencies makes their decisions much easier to comprehend, and ultimately accept. Most "experts" don't.

papillon
04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Instead of listening to the opinions of supposed draft experts, why not just look at the Steelers roster for yourself? Most of the criticisms seem to revolve around the positions they drafted, not the players abilities.

The Steelers needed depth at outside linebacker, as the top two backups are special teams aces with no real promise of being capable of excelling as 3-4 outside linebackers in the Steelers system. Not one draft expert I can recall had outside linebacker as a steelers need, yet there it is.

Looking at Limas Sweed and Stefan Logan, theres two roster spots right there for their new wide recievers to make the team. Especially if one or both of them can return kicks. Replacing single role players with players who have position flexibility has always been the Steelers goal.

The defensive tackle situation would most likely not have been resolved with any player they could have picked up at 18 overall (of course thats debatable). They have tried many times to find them in later rounds and have failed. I'm also not so sure they have a roster spot for a new one right now. Hampton and Hoke are entrenched, and according to Colbert, Sonney Harris should not be ruled out.

My point is, knowing the Steelers roster along with their draft tendencies makes their decisions much easier to comprehend, and ultimately accept. Most "experts" don't.

Sweed isn't going anywhere; he'll have a chance to compete for a spot and if begins to catch balls he'll easily make the team. The first OTAs reported that he was catching everything. You can't teach size, speed and strength and he has all three. he'll be on the opening day roster, if not ours, some other team's.

Pappy

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-26-2010, 01:46 AM

Colbert does not say that it was perfect, he says that they followed their board on each pick.

What I took him to mean is that every time it was his pick to make he looked at their own board and chose the next guy on their list. That would account for two players being picked in the first four rounds who would project to be OLBs in our D.

kennyes
04-26-2010, 01:56 AM
I think Sweed is gonna start to put it together now, IMO... I think after the treatment, counseling or whatever psych help he needed to deal with his depression and if he gets a little confidence he may start to blossom. The Santonio trade definitely helped his cause no doubt. I like the Battles signing as well. The loss of Tone could be bad but I really think they did a solid job at filling depth at WR with ARE and Battles and with the promise of youth in the mix as well...

Pahn711
04-26-2010, 02:13 AM
I think Sweed is gonna start to put it together now, IMO... I think after the treatment, counseling or whatever psych help he needed to deal with his depression and if he gets a little confidence he may start to blossom. The Santonio trade definitely helped his cause no doubt.

I haven't seen such a defense for an underproductive reciever since Dallas Baker. But lets look at this realistically, we got 4 locks at WR: Ward, Wallace, Randle El, and Battles. And Sanders makes the team based on draft spot. The Steelers traditionally keep 5 recievers, maybe 6 if one is good at kick returns (which is definitely not Sweed). Where do you possibly think he will fit in? Hes gonna have to have one hell of a preseason to merit knocking any of the others off, and given how much competition he has, opportunities will be limited.

kennyes
04-26-2010, 03:46 AM
It's just a hunch... I think the kid has talent and he runs great routes. His problem is confidence and a battle with depression that he's now being treated for. The organization hasn't given up on him yet and according to reports he's worked hard and is holding onto everything thrown his way during off season workouts. Don't get me wrong he's got a long road ahead and you are correct in that they usually keep five at WR. That being said the Tone trade only helps his situation. Who knows he may end up being a pretty good story at the end of all of this... Hopefully, my vibe is right. And if not we never had this conversation and I was just drunk... :Beer

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-26-2010, 10:23 AM
I think Sweed is gonna start to put it together now, IMO... I think after the treatment, counseling or whatever psych help he needed to deal with his depression and if he gets a little confidence he may start to blossom. The Santonio trade definitely helped his cause no doubt.

I haven't seen such a defense for an underproductive reciever since Dallas Baker. But lets look at this realistically, we got 4 locks at WR: Ward, Wallace, Randle El, and Battles. And Sanders makes the team based on draft spot. The Steelers traditionally keep 5 recievers, maybe 6 if one is good at kick returns (which is definitely not Sweed). Where do you possibly think he will fit in? Hes gonna have to have one hell of a preseason to merit knocking any of the others off, and given how much competition he has, opportunities will be limited.

Not to defend him or anything but........

Back in the Sean Morey days I believe that we used to carry six since he was thought of mostly as a ST player as opposed to a WR. The question could be whether or not the team will view Battle the same way.

Also, I think what you view as defending Sweed is really hope more than anything. He was a high round pick from a big time school with solid production. His size and speed also will create difficult matchups for the D if he can ever put it together. This is my opinion on him now...I don't expect anything but he is the one player who I would hope can take the giant leap needed from one year to the next.

aggiebones
04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
If you EVER believe a person in any program that is talking to the media, you are a fool. No ifs, ands or buts.

They have no reason to tell the truth and prefer to keep other teams guessing. I'm not sure why fans get irritated and even mad when they don't give truth to the media. Fans should be smarter than this. You don't want to give other organizations any more information than a middle finger.

Slapstick
04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Why would a team like the Steelers deviate from their draft board?

aggiebones
04-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I think it depends. Some guys are only slightly better than a guy at a need position. If you have a OG rated just slightly over a CB at the position you are drafting, maybe you tilt towards the CB. The grades are not perfect indicators, just the best we could come up with. I SERIOUSLY doubt the group has things set in stone. Some players maybe even lumped together to a degree. Do their rankings going 1-1000 or are some guys rated the same or just slightly different. I don't know, but to be rigid is foolish. And its hard to compare 2 unrelated positions Say a CB versus a TE that are similar in rating. Which is really better? So the TE is .001 rating points better, but maybe a team is in real need for a CB. I think they take the CB.

Pahn711
04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Back in the Sean Morey days I believe that we used to carry six since he was thought of mostly as a ST player as opposed to a WR. The question could be whether or not the team will view Battle the same way.

That is definitely possible, I overlooked that. Its just that Battles has had several seasons (two over 600 yards recieving) where he showed serious potential in the Niners dysfunctional offense, and it would be foolish for the Steelers not to consider this.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-26-2010, 03:51 PM

That is definitely possible, I overlooked that. Its just that Battles has had several seasons (two over 600 yards recieving) where he showed serious potential in the Niners dysfunctional offense, and it would be foolish for the Steelers not to consider this.

It may come down to Sweed playing so well this summer that he forces them to keep him.

Shawn
04-27-2010, 11:32 AM

Sweed isn't going anywhere; he'll have a chance to compete for a spot and if begins to catch balls he'll easily make the team. The first OTAs reported that he was catching everything. You can't teach size, speed and strength and he has all three. he'll be on the opening day roster, if not ours, some other team's.

Pappy

Exactly...a guy who is 6 foot 5 with sub 4.5 speed has qualities you can't teach. Sweed is not out of the picture. If he can get his head together he could be the biggest surprise of 2010.

ramblinjim
04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I would love for him to be the biggest surprise of 2010. Let's go Sweed!

Shawn
04-27-2010, 12:06 PM

If Sweed shows up and shows the ability we drafted him for...he will be on this team. I agree with your 5...and I think they keep a 6th in Sweed. Brown hits the PS. If Sweed starts dropping balls again...all bets are off.

phillyesq
04-27-2010, 12:19 PM

Pappy

Exactly...a guy who is 6 foot 5 with sub 4.5 speed has qualities you can't teach. Sweed is not out of the picture. If he can get his head together he could be the biggest surprise of 2010.

The potential upside that Sweed offers is exactly why I still pull for him. His potential floor is low, but his ceiling is quite high. Even though there is a small chance that he reaches that ceiling, if he comes close, he'll be a great weapon for the Steelers. I don't think it is likely, but it is still possible, and that is what I'll root for as long as he is on the team.

proudpittsburgher
04-27-2010, 12:52 PM
If Sweed starts dropping balls again...all bets are off.

I didn't know he ever stopped. :tt2

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 03:17 PM

I applaud the delusional hope the fans have for Sweed. They talk about the kid like he had 8 TD's and then hit a brick wall his second season... he was depressed because he can't catch.

I hope he catches the ball and sticks around... but the reality is even if he catches a few passes the drops still linger... and he will drop another one.. all WR's do.

I don't see him having success because he had a great camp last year and still funked the place up. All bets are off when the ball is coming towards him in the endzone...

he better have 2 TD's the first game.. maybe Lefty throwing bullets will force him to catch the ball.

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 03:22 PM

I applaud the delusional hope the fans have for Sweed. They talk about the kid like he had 8 TD's and then hit a brick wall his second season... he was depressed because he can't catch.

I hope he catches the ball and sticks around... but the reality is even if he catches a few passes the drops still linger... and he will drop another one.. all WR's do.

I don't see him having success because he had a great camp last year and still funked the place up. All bets are off when the ball is coming towards him in the endzone...

he better have 2 TD's the first game.. maybe Lefty throwing bullets will force him to catch the ball.

Here you go making assumptions again.

At least you're consistent.

:roll:

Pahn711
04-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I really do hate to be a downer on a guy with such great potential, but his drop in the AFC Championship notwithstanding, the fake-injury stunt in that game is hard to forget. And from Tomlin's reaction, he may not either.

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM

Here you go getting all uptight on a message board :roll:

At least you're consistent. :wink:

If Sweed caught those 3 EASY TD's and was depressed then I would believe it....

but given his on field issues I'm pretty sure it's the drops and benching.. but hey, it's just my opinion on a message board. :Cheers

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
I really do hate to be a downer on a guy with such great potential, but his drop in the AFC Championship notwithstanding, the fake-injury stunt in that game is hard to forget. And from Tomlin's reaction, he may not either.

most people forget the drop he had in the San Diego game because it was already won...

Tomlin, BA haven't forgot...

proudpittsburgher
04-27-2010, 04:18 PM

I certainly don't know why the kid is depressed, and I certainly hope he finds the treatment he needs to get better. Despite how I talk, I realize there is life outside of football. :) But I kind of agree with you, I have no idea why Sweed, in his second year of showing no ability to catch the football, is everyone favorite to get a third chance. Either way, I really hope his ability catches up with his potential, because it is pretty obvious the kid does everything right but catch the football. But does anyone wonder why he is so wide open when he plays? Maybe it's because no d-coordinator in their right mind will spend the resources to cover him until he shows he can catch the ball.

cruzer8
04-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Here you go getting all uptight on a message board :roll:

At least you're consistent. :wink:

If Sweed caught those 3 EASY TD's and was depressed then I would believe it....

but given his on field issues I'm pretty sure it's the drops and benching.. but hey, it's just my opinion on a message board. :Cheers

You didn't offer it as an opinion. You offered it as fact. Like you always do.

feltdizz
04-27-2010, 05:53 PM
You didn't offer it as an opinion. You offered it as fact. Like you always do.

Who crushed your imagination as a kid Cruzer?

It's a message board on the internet... it's pretty pathetic if you see my post being stated as fact.

I guess those who say BA stinks need to provide evidence based on odor and in game situational play calling :roll:

see what I just did? 8)

cruzer8
04-30-2010, 09:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... camp-notes (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/12676/steelers-minicamp-notes)

After leaving the team late last season, Steelers receiver Limas Sweed rejoined the group and said he was going through some personal issues with his family. Sweed appeared happy to be back on the practice field.

"It feels good," Sweed said. "I feel like a kid again, playing the game I've been playing for a long time. It's good to be back and it's good to be around the guys."

I guess his depression over not being able to catch the ball caused family issues. :roll:

feltdizz
05-01-2010, 02:18 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/12676/steelers-minicamp-notes

After leaving the team late last season, Steelers receiver Limas Sweed rejoined the group and said he was going through some personal issues with his family. Sweed appeared happy to be back on the practice field.

"It feels good," Sweed said. "I feel like a kid again, playing the game I've been playing for a long time. It's good to be back and it's good to be around the guys."

I guess his depression over not being able to catch the ball caused family issues. :roll:

yeahhhh.... that is the oldest excuse in the book...

and James Harrison was really trying to baptize his son...