PDA

View Full Version : Theres a bunch of them!

SS Laser
04-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Not sure if Pap should see this......

Linebackers

55 Patrick Bailey OLB
45 Derrick Doggett ILB
51 James Farrior ILB
50 Larry Foote ILB
57 Keyaron Fox ILB
54 Andre Frazier OLB
-- Thaddeus Gibson OLB
92 James Harrison OLB
-- Stevenson Sylvester ILB
94 Lawrence Timmons ILB
53 Johnny Williams ILB
48 Renauld Williams ILB
56 LaMarr Woodley OLB
-- Jason Worilds OLB

Who makes the 53man? Who ends up on the practice squad? Who is packing bags?

hawaiiansteel
04-25-2010, 03:38 AM
Linebackers

55 Patrick Bailey OLB
45 Derrick Doggett ILB
51 James Farrior ILB
50 Larry Foote ILB
57 Keyaron Fox ILB
54 Andre Frazier OLB
-- Thaddeus Gibson OLB
92 James Harrison OLB
94 Lawrence Timmons ILB
53 Johnny Williams ILB
48 Renauld Williams ILB
56 LaMarr Woodley OLB
-- Jason Worilds OLB

makes the 53 man roster in gold

on the practice squad in green

packing bags in red

papillon
04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

Linebackers

55 Patrick Bailey OLB
45 Derrick Doggett ILB
51 James Farrior ILB
50 Larry Foote ILB
57 Keyaron Fox ILB
54 Andre Frazier OLB
-- Thaddeus Gibson OLB
92 James Harrison OLB
94 Lawrence Timmons ILB
53 Johnny Williams ILB
48 Renauld Williams ILB
56 LaMarr Woodley OLB
-- Jason Worilds OLB

don't worry I'm sure they all like to "run and hit"... :roll: could you produce a list of our Nose tackles, so that we can figure out which will make the roster and which will be sent packing? It should be quite extensive I'm sure. Same with the safeties :stirpot

:tt2

Pappy

Shawn
04-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I actually think Sylvester has a chance of making the team...not just the PS. We need him for ILB depth and STs.

Slapstick
04-25-2010, 08:38 AM
How many LBs are required in a 3-4 alignment?

vs.

How many NTs?

How many of the LBs will play Special Teams vs. how many NTs?

papillon
04-25-2010, 09:19 AM

vs.

How many NTs?

Good point. However, I believe that it's been said on this board that as the NT goes, so goes the defense. Hampton is 32 and a 2 down player, his replacement is 34 and soon to retire. I guess I just don't get ignoring the NT (if it is so vital) and stocking up on OLBs.

Two OLBs and 0 NTs in a draft that had 4 or 5 potential NTs that could play at the next level. They couldn't spend a 5thm, 6th or 7th on an NT?

I hope Polamalu can stay healthy this year, hopefully, we've seen the last of him on the kick blocking unit, same for Clark. Lewis was injured last year and I'm really hoping he has the skills to be a true roaming FS, but I'm not sure how they would come to that conclusion, since he was injured for most of the year.

I have to assume they like Lewis a lot as a versatile secondary player (CB and FS).

We'll see, it would have been nice to begin the grooming of a NT.

Pappy

Mister Pittsburgh
04-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Linebackers

55 Patrick Bailey OLB
45 Derrick Doggett ILB
51 James Farrior ILB
50 Larry Foote ILB
57 Keyaron Fox ILB
54 Andre Frazier OLB
-- Thaddeus Gibson OLB
92 James Harrison OLB
94 Lawrence Timmons ILB
53 Johnny Williams ILB
48 Renauld Williams ILB
56 LaMarr Woodley OLB
-- Jason Worilds OLB

packing bags in red

Nice assessment. I agree. :Cheers

steelz09
04-25-2010, 09:40 AM
I too am a bit surprised at the failure to address the safety and nose tackle position during the draft. I will post a more complete write-up on the Planet Steelers home page.

I wasn't a big Cody fan but I'm shocked we didn't go after him in the 2nd. Ngata and Cody, 700 lbs between the two of them and possibly 2 double teams required....not good. Even with the signing of Hampton, a NT is needed to be groomed. Like we all know, they aren't going to play much the first year, like mostly all our rookies, but he'll be ready by year 2-3. Ironically enough, thats when Hampton's contract is up. :roll: I also agree that our lack of depth at the position could be very dangerous if Hampton were to get hurt. I liked and expected the Pouncey pick, but I would have liked the Dan Williams pick just as much.

Safety is the same story. Aging, similar to the defensive line and no one to groom.

Lebsteel
04-25-2010, 09:52 AM

vs.

How many NTs?

Good point. However, I believe that it's been said on this board that as the NT goes, so goes the defense. Hampton is 32 and a 2 down player, his replacement is 34 and soon to retire. I guess I just don't get ignoring the NT (if it is so vital) and stocking up on OLBs.

Two OLBs and 0 NTs in a draft that had 4 or 5 potential NTs that could play at the next level. They couldn't spend a 5thm, 6th or 7th on an NT?

I hope Polamalu can stay healthy this year, hopefully, we've seen the last of him on the kick blocking unit, same for Clark. Lewis was injured last year and I'm really hoping he has the skills to be a true roaming FS, but I'm not sure how they would come to that conclusion, since he was injured for most of the year.

I have to assume they like Lewis a lot as a versatile secondary player (CB and FS).

We'll see, it would have been nice to begin the grooming of a NT.

Pappy
Pappy, do not fear for NTs, we now have Taco signed as an UDFA!
http://blogs.iwcc.edu/thespyceoflife/files/2008/11/mister-taco.jpg

Lebsteel
04-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Actually Taco Thompson doesn't look all that bad in these highlights of Jason Worilds. Thompson is the big guy, 95. He runs very well for someone his size. A few years to learn and he may be a great pickup. Also, check out Worilds speed. In the Tennessee game the announcers are comparing him to Dwight Freeney in terms of speed off the edge. If this guy stays healthy, he is going to be a very good OLB for us.

http://www.nfldraftdayinsider.com/news/98/Jason-Worilds-Highlights

frankthetank1
04-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Actually Taco Thompson doesn't look all that bad in these highlights of Jason Worilds. Thompson is the big guy, 95. He runs very well for someone his size. A few years to learn and he may be a great pickup. Also, check out Worilds speed. In the Tennessee game the announcers are comparing him to Dwight Freeney in terms of speed off the edge. If this guy stays healthy, he is going to be a very good OLB for us.

from what i have seen and read worilds can be just as good as woodley coming off the edge and getting to the qb. i think he will be a very good player. the best part is he has some time to get ready behind woodley and harrison. i just hope he can be a beast on ST's

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Linebackers

55 Patrick Bailey OLB
45 Derrick Doggett ILB
51 James Farrior ILB
50 Larry Foote ILB
57 Keyaron Fox ILB
54 Andre Frazier OLB
-- Thaddeus Gibson OLB
92 James Harrison OLB
94 Lawrence Timmons ILB
53 Johnny Williams ILB
48 Renauld Williams ILB
56 LaMarr Woodley OLB
-- Jason Worilds OLB

packing bags in red

Patrick Bailey - How does someone go from Steeler Rookie of the Year to packing bags in two seasons?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Dup post.

Chadman
04-25-2010, 10:32 AM

Interesting to see just how much Taco gets through the line in those clips...just bulldozering his way through double teams quite often to be 'the other guy' after Worilds to make the play..

ANPSTEEL
04-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Linebackers

55 Patrick Bailey OLB
45 Derrick Doggett ILB
51 James Farrior ILB
50 Larry Foote ILB
57 Keyaron Fox ILB
54 Andre Frazier OLB
-- Thaddeus Gibson OLB
92 James Harrison OLB
94 Lawrence Timmons ILB
53 Johnny Williams ILB
48 Renauld Williams ILB
56 LaMarr Woodley OLB
-- Jason Worilds OLB

This works out perfectly- for the 0-10-1 (gotta keep Troy on the field, ya know)

SS Laser
04-25-2010, 12:11 PM
This works out perfectly- for the 0-10-1 (gotta keep Troy on the field, ya know)[/quote]

Is this Bad words new HIT & RUN WITH TROY package?

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2010, 12:22 PM
i heard a rumor that there is a draft next year too.

and safties and nose tackles will be available at that time as well :mrgreen:

Lebsteel
04-25-2010, 04:10 PM

Interesting to see just how much Taco gets through the line in those clips...just bulldozering his way through double teams quite often to be 'the other guy' after Worilds to make the play..
Yea, I was very pleased with the Steelers signing Taco. He looks like has very good potential. For a man his size, he has great mobility and gets very good penetration. For all those who want a future NT, look no further...Also, Chris Scott our 5th Rd. pick is in the second half of that video playing LT. He did not give up a sack the entire year playing in the SEC until that bowl game against Va Tech. We picked/signed 4 guys from two of the best collegiate defenses in the country, Va Tech and OSU. I think that was good planning.

SS Laser
04-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Yea, I was very pleased with the Steelers signing Taco. He looks like has very good potential. For a man his size, he has great mobility and gets very good penetration. For all those who want a future NT, look no further...[/quote]

Is he the new Hoke or Hampton replacement in a couple years?

Lebsteel
04-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Yea, I was very pleased with the Steelers signing Taco. He looks like has very good potential. For a man his size, he has great mobility and gets very good penetration. For all those who want a future NT, look no further...

Is he the new Hoke or Hampton replacement in a couple years?
He may very well be someone they seriously consider to take over at NT.

From NFLDraftInsider

Defensive lineman Cordarrow Thompson, a sleeper of sorts, measured 6021/311lbs, completed 24 reps on the bench and a vertical jump of 26.5-inches. His forty time was 5.18 included a 10yd split of 1.73 seconds. The New York Jets, a team in need of young defensive line help, closely monitored Thompson.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2010, 05:51 PM
could you produce a list of our Nose tackles, so that we can figure out which will make the roster and which will be sent packing?

You don't keep more than 2 NT's on the 53 man roster. You need a back-up NT, but not a #3 NT, because NT's don't play special teams (except perhaps FG block). Hampton and Hoke are our NT's this year. If they drafted Cody in the second (I would have personally), that would have changed, but we are by no means in dire straits at NT this year. Remember, Hampton signed a 3 year deal, so he should be our starter through 2012. Hoke's deal is up after this season, so we can draft a young NT somewhat early next year to replace Hoke on the roster and to back-up Hampton for a couple of seasons until Casey is done. For now, Taco Thompson is a NT candidate for our practice squad.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Patrick Bailey - How does someone go from Steeler Rookie of the Year to packing bags in two seasons?

Patrick Bailey was Steeler Rookie of the Year by default more than anything. He was an UDFA who contributed solely on special teams, which happened to be more than we got out of our entire draft class in 2008.

Mendenhall got hurt in the first month of the season. Sweed dropped some big passes. Davis and Hills never saw the field. Dixon was the designated emergency 3rd QB. Humpal never made it out of training camp. Mundy spent time on the practice squad.

Hence, Bailey was Steeler Rookie of the Year, which was more indicative of the failures of the other players in that class that year than him being anything particularly special.

steelblood
04-25-2010, 06:20 PM
If Sylvestor can keep his speed up with his increasing bulk (he played quite a bit at 220 at Utah), he could eventually take over for Farrior. Sylvestor has great instincts, is a good tackler, and has good agility and football speed.