PDA

View Full Version : What grade would you give this Steelers' draft?

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 09:28 PM
this guy gives us a B-, what grade would you give this Steelers' draft?

Pittsburgh Steelers 2010 NFL Draft Review
By Tony Moss, NFL Editor

1 - Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida (6-4, 304); 2 - Jason Worilds, OLB, Virginia Tech (6-1, 254); 3 - Emmanuel Sanders, WR, SMU (5-11, 186); 4 - Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State (6-2, 243); 5 - Chris Scott, OL, Tennessee (6-5, 319); 5 - Crezdon Butler, CB, Clemson (6-0, 191); 5 - Steven Sylvester, LB, Utah (6-3, 231); 6 - Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech (5-11, 229); 6 - Antonio Brown, WR, Central Michigan (5-10, 186); 7 - Doug Worthington, DT, Ohio State (6-5, 292)

Analysis: Finally, the Steelers take the first-round o-lineman they've needed for years. Pouncey can play guard, but don't be surprised to see him unseat Justin Hartwig and start at center immediately. The Worilds pick was a surprise, both because the Steelers seemed to be set at OLB and because there were a couple of OLBs rated above the Virginia Tech standout on several boards. The third-round pick Sanders isn't a huge guy and won't have a Santonio Holmes- like impact, but caught a ton of balls at SMU and has a chance to be involved in the slot. Gibson and Sylvester were similar picks to Worilds but will have to prove their abilities on special teams. Scott was likely selected in the fifth-round due to his ability to play guard and tackle. It was surprising that the Steelers waited until the fifth-round to take a corner, and Butler is a solid player who will nonetheless make no one forget about Rod Woodson. Dwyer was originally a first-round prospect who saw his stock plummet due to a lack of versatility and questionable work ethic. Brown offers some value as a return man. Pittsburgh pulled off a trade with Arizona to re-acquire prodigal corner Bryant McFadden, but let's remember that McFadden wasn't the most consistent CB on earth during his first tour with the team.

Bottom Line: Early picks of Pouncey and Sanders made sense, but all the outside linebackers - at the expense of a decent young corner - did not.

Grade: B-

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... id=4306678 (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/newstest.aspx?id=4306678)

DukieBoy
04-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Not disagreeing with that grade necessarily, but thes talking heads who evaluate these drafts for 32 teams lack the depth of knowledge of each team to accurately evaluate how the draft fits with the whole of each team.

Shawn
04-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Pouncey:A
Worilds: C+
Sanders: B
Gibson: C
Scott: C+
Butler: C+
Sylvester: B+
Dwyer: A
Brown: B
Worthington: A-

Overall: B

Homeruns with the Pouncey, Dwyer and Worthington picks.

papillon
04-24-2010, 09:47 PM
1 - Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida (6-4, 304) - A
2 - Jason Worilds, OLB, Virginia Tech (6-1, 254) - C, because of position
3 - Emmanuel Sanders, WR, SMU (5-11, 186) - C
4 - Thaddeus Gibson, OLB, Ohio State (6-2, 243) - epic fail
5 - Chris Scott, OL, Tennessee (6-5, 319) - B, assuming he's a tackle
5 - Crezdon Butler, CB, Clemson (6-0, 191) - D, yippee, a CB like Gay
5 - Steven Sylvester, LB, Utah (6-3, 231) - B, assuming he's an ILB
6 - Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech (5-11, 229) - B, lets see what he has
6 - Antonio Brown, WR, Central Michigan (5-10, 186) - F, wasted pick, how many WRs are they bringing into camp?
7 - Doug Worthington, DT, Ohio State (6-5, 292) - C, not a NT

Overall, probably a C- from my standpoint, some nice picks late if they pan out, Pouncey will be a great addition for the next 10 years, two OLBs?, another WR late why? I think C- is fair, of course we won't know for three years like any other draft.

Edited to reflect the fact that Worthington is not a NT, thanks RB
Pappy

Snatch98
04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
6 - Antonio Brown, WR, Central Michigan (5-10, 186) - F, wasted pick, how many WRs are they bringing into camp?
7 - Doug Worthington, DT, Ohio State (6-5, 292) - B, love to see him turn into Casey's replacement, unlikely in the 7th...

Overall, probably a C- from my standpoint, some nice picks late if they pan out, Pouncey will be a great addition for the next 10 years, two OLBs?, another WR late why? I think C- is fair, of course we won't know for three years like any other draft.

Pappy

Antonio Brown was the MAC special teams player of the year for 2 straight seasons. I have nothing against you pap but do you read what other people post on this board before issuing a response or do you just fire it out there without doing your homework? Also keep in mind he's a 6th! round draft pick. If he can come in and be a special teams work horse great. He also did pretty well as a WR in the MAC.

papillon
04-24-2010, 10:12 PM
7 - Doug Worthington, DT, Ohio State (6-5, 292) - B, love to see him turn into Casey's replacement, unlikely in the 7th...

Pappy

Antonio Brown was the MAC special teams player of the year for 2 straight seasons. I have nothing against you pap but do you read what other people post on this board before issuing a response or do you just fire it out there without doing your homework? Also keep in mind he's a 6th! round draft pick. If he can come in and be a special teams work horse great. He also did pretty well as a WR in the MAC.

JFC, another special teams guy, great scott. It doesn't matter to me what other people put out there, we're bragging about a 6th round pick that's about as big as our 16 year old neighbor. He's a wasted pick, he isn't making the team.

Does Brown return kicks and punts or cover them? If they're sending down 185 pound gunners to cover punts and kicks they're in trouble. If he returns them, he'll have to compete with Burnett and Sanders, two guys that can play other positions.

Brown isn't making the team, IMO. In case no one can tell, I do not like this draft at all. that being said, it may end up being the best ever and supplant the 74 class as the greatest ever, I doubt it, but it could.

From what everyone is saying the many of these players were drafted for STs. :wft You should be able to find hungry football players looking for a paycheck in the UDFA pool or like Brown in the 6th and 7th round, not in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Pappy

cruzer8
04-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Damn you are one cranky SOB. Why don't you go hop on the old lady for awhile?

They drafted guys who can play special teams while at the same time providing depth. And youth. You know, so when other guys retire or move on we'll have players to fill those vacated spots?

Snatch98
04-24-2010, 10:26 PM

Pappy

JFC, another special teams guy, great scott. It doesn't matter to me what other people put out there, we're bragging about a 6th round pick that's about as big as our 16 year old neighbor. He's a wasted pick, he isn't making the team.

Does Brown return kicks and punts or cover them? If they're sending down 185 pound gunners to cover punts and kicks they're in trouble. If he returns them, he'll have to compete with Burnett and Sanders, two guys that can play other positions.

Brown isn't making the team, IMO. In case no one can tell, I do not like this draft at all. that being said, it may end up being the best ever and supplant the 74 class as the greatest ever, I doubt it, but it could.

From what everyone is saying the many of these players were drafted for STs. :wft You should be able to find hungry football players looking for a paycheck in the UDFA pool or like Brown in the 6th and 7th round, not in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Pappy

I just don't get why you or anyone else thinks that all those drafted in say the first 3 rounds should start immediately, they will all contribute and the last I checked everyone makes their mark on special teams first. I'm not sure what part about MAC special teams player of the year for two straight years you don't understand but hey I'm not Dr. Phil and I'm certainly not here to break down how you break it all down. You're just being unreasonable and for yet another "once again" Pittsburgh is LB U and they went after the guys they drafted for a reason. Run and Hit. Oh and special teams was a huge weakness last season.

papillon
04-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Damn you are one cranky SOB. Why don't you go hop on the old lady for awhile?

Unfortunately, she's just as p1ssed.

They drafted guys who can play special teams while at the same time providing depth. And youth. You know, so when other guys retire or move on we'll have players to fill those vacated spots?

Youth? Where? DE? No NT? No ILB? No WR? they're already young exceopt Ward and they brought in El and Battle

Depth? SS? No FS? No RB? Maybe OLB? Yes, the strongest position on the team

Man, I really hope you all can dredge this thread up in three years and let me have it, but except for Pouncey, they screwed the pooch in my opinion.

While we're at it, given the three year window lets review:

Timmons - Good pick, starter
Woodley - Great pick, starter and second leading sacker
Spaeth - Nothing
Sepulveda - Good pick, punter for 15 years
McBean - Nothing
Stephenson - Nothing
Gay - Do I need to say anything
Baker - Nothing

We got four starters and we're really trying to replace one. This was an above average draft (barely). I'd love to see the 2010 draft provide 4 starters, but I don't see it happening.

Pappy

papillon
04-24-2010, 11:03 PM

Pappy

Pappy

I just don't get why you or anyone else thinks that all those drafted in say the first 3 rounds should start immediately, they will all contribute and the last I checked everyone makes their mark on special teams first. I'm not sure what part about MAC special teams player of the year for two straight years you don't understand but hey I'm not Dr. Phil and I'm certainly not here to break down how you break it all down. You're just being unreasonable and for yet another "once again" Pittsburgh is LB U and they went after the guys they drafted for a reason. Run and Hit. Oh and special teams was a huge weakness last season.

I never said the first three rounds should be starters immediately. But, are you really drafting guys to play STs in the top 96 picks? I'm looking for a guy to get on the field and if he happens to help STs, that's great, but I'm not drafting him to be my gunner in the first three rounds.

Okay, so, he's the MAC STs player of the year twice, does he cover punts and kicks or does he return them or both.? It makes a difference. If he covers them and he's the player of the year, then he may find a spot on the team. If he's returning them, I don't see a spot for him, since one new guy and one veteran play other positions better than this guy does. If he does both, he may be able to find a roster spot. I don't expect him on the team in September.

Linebacker U, that's good, in the mean time the geriatric ward is getting filled with great players that are nearing the end of a career and the cupboard looks bare to me.

Kiesel - 31
Hoke - 34
Smith - 34
Eason - 30
Farrior - 35
Clark - 30
Polamalu - 29

The baby in that group is 29 years old and very little was done to inject youth into that group of players and their positions. Fine, I'm being unreasonable, maybe, I'm frustrated is what I am. I watched the draft unfold and there were players people (Mayock, Kiper, etc.) were talking about available that would have helped the Steelers with depth and youth all at once.

As much as I like Pouncey, I believe they could have traded back a few spots and still drafted him and moved up in the second or grabbed another second round pick to help with the safety situation. If Polamalu or clark gets injured, then what? Mundy? Allen? Lets see how that works out for them.

I simply believe it was a missed opportunity and I am cranky and irritated by it and Ben's dumb@$$ behavior doesn't help my mood when I get to thinking about the Steeler season.

Forgive me for wishing they did better IMHO. I don't see how you look at this draft objectively and tell me it's great or even good, I don't see it. I hope each and every one of these players proves me wrong, I doubt it.

Pappy

BradshawsHairdresser
04-24-2010, 11:08 PM
I grade it C for confusing.

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 11:42 PM

You'd love to see Worthington turn into Casey's replacement? Maybe if he were 4 inches shorter and about 40 pounds heavier. In the 3-4, he's obviously a DE prospect, not a NT prospect. With Ziggy as Aaron's back-up, Worthington will battle with Sonny Harris and Nick Eason to be Keisel's backup. I suspect Doug spends his rookie season on the practice squad to develop for the future.

Chadman
04-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Hehehe...someone get Cranky Pappy a hot cocoa... :stirpot

Let's see...grade the draft...

1. Pouncey- not Chadman's #1 pick, but from all reports a slid player. Hard to argue the quality, but the Steelers did pass on a couple of potential 'great' players to get him. Chadman will give it a B+

2. Worilds- Again, not what Chadman would have picked, but the Steelers had some obvious interest in OLB this draft, and had worked Worilds out personally. Given that Harrison is 32, perhaps we undervalue the 'need' for an OLB to learn & eventually replace him. Hmm..B

3. Sanders- In Chadman's opinion- a bit of a reach. Could have picked a few other WR's here that would be better options. BUT..this pick makes Chadman think they haven't given up on Sweed yet. sanders will really oly project as a Slot Wr, so the only young WR Chadman sees that is 'potentially' a possession WR to replace Ward is..Sweed. A slot WR/PR/KR in the 3rd? Hmm... B-

4. Gibson- Many hate this pick. Chadman loved the Timmons pick a few years back, because he added an athletisism we hadn't seen since Chad Brown. Gibson is a player like Timmons, but in need of work. Potentially, Gibson could be great. Chadman sees him as a future ILB, partnered with Timmons. Hmm... B+

5a. Chris Scott- This pick makes Chadman fear for the future of Kraig Urbik. Chadman quite likes Scott as an option, and with Baltimore loading up with big DL guys, having equally big OL guys can't hurt. Part of a line that allowed just 3 sacks last season- not bad. Can play RT & OG, Tomlin likes flexibility. Hmm... B

5b. Traded for Bryant McFadden. Well, he becomes the starting CB. Not often you can plug in a mid-5th rounder as a starter right off the bat. Great move by the FO. A+

5c. Butler- Looks like a physical type Cb that the Steelers like. Big, fast. If he replaces Anthony Maddison, that can be considered a success- C+

5d. Sylvester- overkill by this stage. Looks like a PS guy for now that might fight Fox for a spot in a year or two. Might not make it past camp. Could have done better. D

6a- Dwyer- pick of the draft. A guy that could have been a 1-2nd round pick falls into the 6th. Powerback role is his to lose. Should fill the #2 RB role right away. If his head is screwed on, shock-horror- he might make Mendy expendable in a few years. A+

Brown- going to agree with Pap- wasted pick. Sure, ST guy...gody, goody. But we already have that on the roster. Would have been better served getting a NT here. F

7. Worthington- Great value pick. even if he only ever becomes a back-up, getting a guy like this in the 7th is a steal. B+

TD386Steel
04-25-2010, 12:09 AM
I heard that Atlanta wanted Pouncey at 19 so a trade up would have been a mistake. But I wanted to do the same thing so I understand. The most important thing to me in this years draft was seconday so I was dissapointed. The second half of the season our secondary was terrible. I wanted to get better and fellt like we could have gotten a good safety and corner early. I can only hope that Burnett, and Lewis are ready to step up and play.

Steel Life
04-25-2010, 12:45 AM
I simply believe it was a missed opportunity and I am cranky and irritated by it and Ben's dumb@$$ behavior doesn't help my mood when I get to thinking about the Steeler season.

Forgive me for wishing they did better IMHO. I don't see how you look at this draft objectively and tell me it's great or even good, I don't see it. I hope each and every one of these players proves me wrong, I doubt it.

Pappy
I'm with you Pap...not enough impact for the number of picks they had & completely ignored the deepest part of the draft - DL - where we have the greatest concern about age & injury. And to add to that, we basically draft two guys to fill one spot & seem intent on having the league's smallest WR corps. Lastly, About the addition of Scott...have you seen him?...he is not a tackle & we have a ton of bodies to compete at guard already - a true tackle prospect I could understand. This draft isn't about what they got, but what they passed on. Last year I felt good about every pick, this year maybe 3 of 'em...not to say more won't make the squad, but there aren't many impact players here.

brothervad
04-25-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't know guys, maybe D-Line is the easiest position to fill for a 3-4--because other than Ziggy last year the Steelers have not selected a DL in the first 3 rounds since Casey Hampton in 2001 (Alonzo Jackson was a LB tweener). I think it's a very overlooked/undervalued position for Colbert and team in the draft (ok I know I am not saying anything brilliant here :) ).

brothervad

Round - Pick - Overall - Name - Position - School
1 - 30 - 30 - Kendall Simmons - OT - Auburn
2 - 30 - 62 - Antwaan Randel El - WR - Indiana
3 - 29 - 94 - Chris Hope - S - Florida State

1 - 16 - 16 Troy Polamalu - DB - USC
2 - 27 - 59 Alonzo Jackson - DE Florida State
3 - 28 - 125 Ivan "Ike" Taylor - DB Louisiana-Lafayette

1 - 11 - 11 Ben Roethlisberger - QB Miami(OH)
2 - 6 - 38 Ricardo Colclough - DB Tusculum
3 - 12 - 75 Max Starks - T Florida

1 - 30 - 30 Heath Miller - TE Virginia
2 - 30 - 62 Bryant McFadden - DB Florida State
3 - 29 - 93 Trai Essex - T Northwestern

1 - 25 - 25 Santonio Holmes - WR Ohio State
3 - 19 - 83 Anthony Smith - S Syracuse
3 - 31 - 95 Willie Reid - WR Florida State

Round - Name - Position - School
1 - Lawrence Timmons - LB - Florida State
2 - LaMarr Woodley - LB - Michigan
3 - Matt Spaeth - TE - Minnesota

1 - Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Illinois
2 - Limas Sweed - WR - Texas
3 - Bruce Davis LB - UCLA

1 - Evander Hood - DE/DT - Missouri
3 - Kraig Urbik - T - Wisconsin
3 - Mike Wallace - WR - Mississippi
3 - Keenan Lewis - CB - Oregon State

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2010, 01:50 AM
thought i read butler say sylvester will move to ILB

hawaiiansteel
04-25-2010, 03:45 AM
thought i read butler say sylvester will move to ILB

Keith Butler on Stevenson Sylvester

Linebacker University of Utah
5th Round 166th Overall

What kind of guy is this?

Hes a fast, fast-playing, aggressive, play-hard kid. [He has] a real good feel for blitzing. He enjoys playing the game. He played on a defense at Utah Utah does a great job with their kids, and they hustle to the ball, run to the ball. [With] this kid, its what he does. He does a good job of timing blitzes from the outside and does a good job of running to the football and finding the ball carrier. He, like a lot of inside linebackers like this, struggles with big guys. But what we do in our system for our guys I think will help him. Hes a good fit for us.

You keep guys off of him?

Yes.

Can he play inside?

Yes. He played outside for them, and inside. They were kind of a multi-front defense.

Are you going to put him inside?

Yes. [We will] put him inside.

It sounds like hes got quite a personality.

He sounds like a good kid. Ive yet to meet him. Ive looked at him on film. I didnt talk to him at the combine. But watching him on film, this kid likes to play football.
How is he in coverage?

Hes got all the movement skills that would make you think he would be good in coverage. And he was in college. So we think this kid can help us.

Does he need to get a little bigger?

Well, hes 231 [pounds]. He probably played at about 222 last year. Hes 231 now. Our inside linebackers are not 250-pound guys, with the exception of Lawrence Timmons. And Lawrence looks like he weighs 210, but hes 250. [Larry] Foote is about 235 [or] 240. [Keyaron] Fox is about 240. James Farrior is 230, 235. So, Im not concerned about his weight. Hes a young man. Most of the time, as all of us know, the older we get, the easier it is to gain weight. I think this guy will fill out pretty good. I dont think its going to be a problem.

Counting the [Bryant] McFadden deal, do you like whats happened on defense the past couple of days?

Yes. All of us, just like you, know we need some help in the secondary. But, this thing has been going on for a couple of days. Its not that all of sudden, were going to do it today. This stuff has been going on. And the guys that all of you wanted us to get at corner, the guys that we had rated higher on the board werent corners. So we went in this direction because these were guys that we felt were the best guys that we had on the board. We took what we felt like were the best players available. Three of them happened to be linebackers. Glory halleluiah.

With the numbers [of players] that you have at inside linebacker, is there room for this guy?

If hes good enough to make our football team, then well find room for him somewhere. Thats a good problem to have. For me, [when I was] sitting in here the second time I was in here [I said] that you cant have enough football players. And I still believe that. You cant have enough. To me, there is nothing better in this country than competition. Its what made the United States of America who we are - the whole country, not just the NFL. [When] you look at the best football in the world, its because of competition. So, that [meeting] room should thrive on it, and I like to think that it does. It thrives on competition. They like being the best in that room, and anything less is a disappointment to them. So this is going to create some competition. And its not something that my guys shy away from. If they do, they dont need to be here. Im thankful that were going to have good competition in that room and it will help our overall football team because of it.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 3ac33050d5 (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Keith-Butler-on-Stevenson-Sylvester/150a240b-7f87-4b2b-b3a8-3a3ac33050d5)

Steelerphile
04-25-2010, 08:32 AM
I am not disappointed with the draft other than they didn't take a more highly rated player to compete in the defensive backfield; however, I guess we will have to wait on guys like Lewis, Burnett and Mundy and see if they can develop. I think this is something that fans seem to forget. There were players drafted last year or even two years ago who are still in the developmental stage, across the board.

All the players they drafted this year clearly cannot make the team. I just like to think they found bonafide prospects who can come to camp and who all have the potential to play at the NFL level. It is then up to the coaches to thresh out the field and get them ready to play.

One thing the draft indicates to me is that special teams will be a large focus and that the 3-4 defense is not on the way out. Thank goodness, from my point of view. Since the linebackers are the heart and soul of the defense, and are often the best special teamers. The draft indicates a desire to upgrade on players like Patrick Bailey, Andre Frazier and Arnold Harrison. And also I think James Farrior will be scrutinized with a jaundiced eye. His roster spot is not assured.

They hit all the positions, except QB, TE and K.

I chuckle beneath my breath when I read a poster say how the Steelers would have been so much wiser to draft someone other than whom they took. I presume that most fans are doing their scouting by watching games on TV, clips on YouTube and reading profiles. Unless the draftniks are privvy to more material on the players than that, I don't take these protestations seriously at all.

Slapstick
04-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Thaddeus Gibson will not be an epic fail.

steelz09
04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Draft Grade: C

frankthetank1
04-25-2010, 10:16 AM
i would say B- is pretty fair. we didnt get a NT or a safety but other than that we improved ST's and the secondary which were the two biggest weaknesses on the team. the addition of Bmac is why i would say B-. if we didnt get Bmac and only got crezdon butler i would give them a lower grade

Mister Pittsburgh
04-25-2010, 10:19 AM
This draft seems like we reached in every round, sometimes horribly, other than on the running back. It also seemed like there were better players at positions of need still on the board. Sometimes I think the Steelers try and be too tricky taking some special project high thinking they are stealing the player when nobody else is going to take him as early as we do. Oh well. Not overly excited.

Slapstick
04-25-2010, 11:15 AM
I disagree completely...

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I have been reading A LOT of draft grades over the last 72 hours and the only place I seem to read about the Steelers reaching for draft picks is on this message board...

Now, while I agree that the Steelers did not draft at positions that some people on this message board perceived as "needs", I do not agree at all with the premise that the Steelers overdrafted a single player...

phillyesq
04-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm not thrilled with this draft, but I don't hate it.

Pouncey: It took me a while to get over drafting a center/rg at 1.18, but if he is an above-average interior offensive lineman for the next decade, I'll be very pleased. Very good chance Atlanta takes him at 1.19 if the Steelers trade back.

Worilds: I actually like this pick. Harrison is 32, and the Steelers had no depth at OLB. While I think Woodley gets extended, if his demands are such that the Steelers cannot meet them, this gives the Steelers insurance in that regard. Worilds can be groomed as Porter, Gildon and so many others were -- start on special teams, maybe rotate into passing situations, etc. The Steelers had Andre Frazier, Bailey, Arnold Harrison, and a bunch of similar type guys at OLB. This is a huge upgrade.

Sanders: I hated this pick. The Steelers always seem to outsmart themselves in the third, overdrafting somebody that they regard more highly than the consensus. I read somewhere that they see him as the heir apparent to Ward, and as a quick route-runner, sounds like a good potential replacement for Holmes. But if you're going to draft a WR in the third, why sign both ARE and Battle. This kid is now, at best, a #5 WR, and if the Steelers want to give Sweed one more chance, they have to keep six WRs. I wish the Steelers would have moved up here to grab Carrington or Chad Jones. Or, if they wanted a WR, move up and grab Golden Tate.

Gibson: I hate this pick. After Holmes, I'd be perfectly fine if the Steelers never drafted anybody from OSU again. I can't help but thinking that the Steelers got a poor man's Gholston. As much as I hate the pick, hopefully I'm wrong. I wanted a developmental OLB in the mid-rounds, somebody who could contribute on special teams and hopefully develop into at least depth, if not an eventual starter. Hopefully he fits the bill, but I'm skeptical.

Scott: Looks like the typical Steelers OL pick. Sloppy build, somewhat slow-footed, big, and, of course, position flexibility. I'm not quite sure how he is any different from Ramon Foster. It looks like he is a RT/OG only. Maybe he'll become a dominant run-blocking RG, but I'm not optimistic.

Butler: Seems to have decent speed an upside. Fine taking a guy like this in the fifth round.

Sylvester: I wanted a developmental inside LB, and he seems to fit the bill. He looks like he could be a great coverage/nickel LB, and I also hope that he'll upgrade the STs. The coverage units were terrible last year, and IMO, this reflected lack of depth at LB. Hopefully the infusion of youth will help both depth and STs.

Dwyer: Like most, I like this pick. Has a chance to be a very nice power-back to compliment Mendy. If he doesn't pan out, it was only a sixth, so no big deal.

Brown: I suppose that he'll compete with Logan (and, to an extent, Sweed) for a roster spot. If he ends up being a dynamic return guy who can play in the slot, that would be great. But I agree with Pappy -- why bring so many WRs to camp? I'd like this pick better if they didn't sign Battle. So I think my complaint here is more with signing Battle than it is with drafting Brown.

Worthington: Again, I'm not thrilled with the addition of somebody from OSU, but he seems to have the size that the Steelers look for in a 3-4 DE. He can compete with Sonny Harris for a spot as a developmental DE.

Overall, I'm ok with this draft. I like the infusion of youth and depth at LB and special teams. McFadden was a great addition, as was Leftwich. I'm disappointed that there was no safety added, but I'm fine with waiting a year to address NT. The Steelers can roll with Hampton and Hoke for another year, and grab a developmental NT next year or even the year after. I would have preferred an actual tackle prospect, as opposed to a slow-footed "position flexibility" guy.

Flasteel
04-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd say a solid B. I would have liked to have seen a young, talented corner or safety in the second round regardless of the addition of B-Mac. I'm happy to get McFadden back and believe he will be the starter opposite Ike, but he's already proven himself to be nothing more than adequate. The position is patched anyways and we at least give a chance to Burnett and Lewis to develop into a starter..provided they've got the ability.

I have to respect the situation and especially the Steelers own board. The obviously didn't like the guys at corner who fell to them and their player ratings are based on not just overall talent/character, but how they also fit their scheme. If anyone on this board thinks they have better insight at evaluating players than a room full of coaches who coach the best damn 3-4 defense on the planet, then you are simply retarded. You can have your own opinion but don't forget the flimsy foundation it's built on. Personally, I don't know dick about any of these guys except Pouncey. I coached aginst him in high school and I'm a die-hard Gator fan...we got a great pick at our weakest starting position.

We covered nearly every perceived weakness on this team other than depth at safety and who knows what awaits Keenan Lewis in that regard. I love what we did with our special teams by adding a bunch of big, fast, high-motor guys too. Too bad we didn't go after a fullback though. It would have been nice to see an early change in Arian's horrible philosophy.

Good draft in my opinion. :Cheers

flippy
04-25-2010, 02:56 PM
A++

1. McFadden was the steal of the draft - wow - Nice work Steelers.

2. We haven't been a truly dominant running team since the days of Dirt Dawson. Pouncey could be one guy that singlehandedly transforms this line just like DIrt did.

3. The Steelers brass clearly feels pass rush is the most important piece of our D that needs upgraded, so I'm glad to see us grab a couple of OLBs that look big and fast in addition to another LB to potentially plug in the middle with Timmons. The 3-4 is all about the LBs, so I'm glad to see it be a priority. I suspect the Steelers will rotate their LBs eventually like the Giants did their Dline several years ago. This could be exciting.

4. We grabbed a couple of productive receivers. Loolking forawrd to seeing this play out.

5. A steal of a RB

6. A steal of a DE

overall pretty exciting stuff, although unexpected a bit....

fezziwig
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
C - The C can also stand for, Can't figure our front office out.

Steelgal
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I disagree completely...

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I have been reading A LOT of draft grades over the last 72 hours and the only place I seem to read about the Steelers reaching for draft picks is on this message board...
Now, while I agree that the Steelers did not draft at positions that some people on this message board perceived as "needs", I do not agree at all with the premise that the Steelers overdrafted a single player...

On ESPN, when asked about teams that 'failed' Jaws mentioned the Steelers. Douchebag.... He said we drafted too many OLB, even though one of the draftees will be moved inside. Then again, Jaws NEVER has anything good to say about the Steelers, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Also, Kiper is a total Raven homer and fan. If I hear him rave about their draft anymore, I'm going to puke :HeadBanger

DukieBoy
04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I disagree completely...

On ESPN, when asked about teams that 'failed' Jaws mentioned the Steelers. Douchebag.... He said we drafted too many OLB, even though one of the draftees will be moved inside. Then again, Jaws NEVER has anything good to say about the Steelers, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Also, Kiper is a total Raven homer and fan. If I hear him rave about their draft anymore, I'm going to puke :HeadBanger

And Kiper's hair is getting way beyond weird, like a raven turning vampire.

Discipline of Steel
04-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Not that theres anything wrong with that.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2010, 05:21 PM
I disagree completely...

I don't know what is funnier...calling him the grown-up version of Eddie Munster, or considering him to be the bastard child of Count Chocula and Joey Buttafuoco. :lol:

http://fantastiksports.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/mel-kiper-is-a-vampire.jpg http://freddyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/0708_eddie_before_full.jpg

http://www.danablankenhorn.com/images/mel_kiper.jpg

steelblood
04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Pouncey-I don't think he was the best value at 18, but he is solid and young. Hopefully, he'll develop well as a RG and take over at center in 2011. B-

Worilds-I've seen him play several times. He has great speed, but often tries to run around and finesse opponents too often. I'd have given him a third round grade as I see him a project. C

Emmaneul Sanders-He ran well at the combine and is a hard working player that will fight for everything he gets. The highlights I've seen show a player that is more quick than fast. He explodes out of his breaks well, but rarely outruns anyone and is too often caught from behind. Something is off here. C-

Thad Gibson-Looks good dropping into coverage. Has good pass rush moves and can explode into his target. Very raw, but excellent value in the 4th round. He isn't as fast as Worilds and needs more bulk, but I think he may have a higher ceiling.

Crezdon Butler-Good size, good awareness. Capable of playing both bump and run and zone well. Good hands to intercept the ball. I've seen him bite badly on a double move, but that can be fixed. Solid 5th round pick. B+

Jonathan Scott-looked like a mountain out there this season. He is very strong and gets a good push. Would probably be best at RG, but we have plenty of those. I think they must be looking at him as a RT. B

Jonathan Dwyer-For me this dude is a 3rd round talent. The drug test seems easily explained. I have no idea why he made it to the sixth round. He runs well on the field and can pull away from linebackers no matter what his forty was. A

Antonio Brown-Are you kidding me? How is this kid here? He is undersized, but he has fantastic hands, body control, open field elusiveness, return skill, and good speed. I think he will pass Sanders on the depth chart when we break camp. A+

Doug Worthington-Could actually make this team. Great effort player. A

Ciron Black-Excellent UDFA signing. Has a suspect knee and is not a good pass blocker, but if he gets himself healthy could end being a good starting RT or guard. A

Taco from VT-Doesn't look stout enough to be a NT. But, heck he's a UDFA. B

Andre Dixon UConn-I've liked this kid for a while. He is not real elusive, but he is tough and slippery and runs with a great lean. He plays much bigger than his size. If he grows into his frame a bit, he could be like Matt Forte. A+

I was a little disappointed with the early part of the draft. But, after we got BMac back, the only areas I feel we did not addressed and should have are .... backup LT, backup NT, and 2nd string TE.

hawaiiansteel
04-25-2010, 10:04 PM
I think Pouncey ends up starting at RG for a season and then becomes our starting C, Worilds dresses and becomes a situational pass-rusher, Sanders works his way into the WR rotation and Dwyer becomes the third running back.

and don't forget that the Steelers used 2010 draft picks to bring back Byron Leftwich who may very well begin the season as our starting QB and Bryant McFadden who most likely becomes a starting corner and allows Willie Gay to return to his nickle back role.

overall, a pretty good draft -

I would give it a B-Mac...

NJ-STEELER
04-26-2010, 11:25 AM
the 2 guys doing the draft recap on NFLN loved our draft. as mentioned here earlier, laconforte(SP?) has worildis as his favorite pick

they both loved the dwyere pick saying in the 6th round.

and the guy above mentioned soething about worthington i havent heard. he wouldn't be suprised if we try him out at OT. saying he's might be a good player to convert there because of his good feet.
I wonder if he got some inside info on this or is just specualting

NJ-STEELER
04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
can we bring back kendrell or myron bell?

i'd like to see the PA guy come on and say "tackled by taco-bell