PDA

View Full Version : McFadden comes cheap to Steelers! Why?

fordfixer
04-24-2010, 05:31 PM
McFadden comes cheap to Steelers! Why?

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... fault.aspx (http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx)

By Bob Smizik | Saturday 3:35 p.m.

Beware of cornerbacks who can be acquired, along with a sixth-round draft choice, for a fifth-round draft choice.

Yes, the Steelers have the cornerback who started for them when the when the Super Bowl after the 2008 season, but there have to be questions about the return Bryant McFadden, who was acquired Saturday afternoon for a fifth-round draft choice.

For one, the Steelers, who also got a sixth-rounder in the deal, barely seemed interested in keeping McFadden when he became a free agent after the 2008 season.

Of great significance, why exactly are the Arizona Cardinals giving up on McFadden one season after signing him to a two-year contract worth $10 million?

Clearly, the Cardinals were not happy with McFadden. The fact they virtually gave him way speaks directly to their unhappiness. McFadden is due to make $4.75 million this season.

It’s not like Arizona was awash in CB depth. On the Arizona Republic website, beat writer Kent Sommers wrote, ``McFadden's departure leaves Greg Toler as the starter and Mike Adams as the top reserve. The Cardinals have little depth at that spot now, and likely will address it with one of their remaining picks, a sixth and seventh rounders.’’

This isn’t to say the Steelers made a bad move. They needed help at the position and McFadden is an upgrade over what they have. Ed Bouchette, writing on the PG + website, said the deal had been in the works for several days, which explains why the Steelers didn’t take a cornerback in the early rounds of the draft.

McFadden, in almost total certainty, will step into the starting lineup at one cornerback slot with Ike Taylor at the other. William Gay, who started but lost his job last season, will be the top backup. It was Gay who made the departure of McFadden easy for the Steelers to handle. But he faltered badly.

The return of McFadden, who will be a free agent after this season, gives the Steelers a chance to groom the two rookies they drafted last season -- Keenan Lewis in the third round and Joe Burnett in the fifth.

It possible the familiar surroundings and different responsibilities can revitalize McFadden. It's certainly worth a fifth-round draft choice to find out.

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
what an idiot.

they tried to re-sign him.

he just took the cards deal because he wanted a bigger pay day after his short contract was done.

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 05:42 PM
McFadden was horrible with the Cardinals, did anybody watch their game against the Packers last season?

but maybe B-Mac plays better when he gives WRs a 15-yard cushion? :stirpot

WoodleyofTroy
04-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Add to the fact that, everyone already mentioned that the going rate for players this off-season is for late round picks. The market was set.

Enter a team looking for a QB (who they selected with the pick), and the Whisenhunt connection.....

spyboots
04-24-2010, 06:23 PM
He didn't fit well in their system. He does in ours.

Shawn
04-24-2010, 06:51 PM
He didn't fit well in their system. He does in ours.

$$$

Snatch98
04-24-2010, 08:21 PM
John clayton via espn radio seems to think getting mcfadden was a great move for us and a ridiculous move for the cards. He flat out said the cards are now worse off. He claimed it was the strangest move of the day.

papillon
04-24-2010, 09:17 PM
McFadden comes cheap to Steelers! Why?

He didn't want to miss the Tomlin and Colbert reunion tour.

Pappy

DrCalculus
04-24-2010, 10:29 PM
And something else to consider: Didn't the Steelers also get a 5th round compensatory pick for losing McFadden to the Cardinals in the first place? The latter of the two picks, which turned into Antonio Brown.

So a year removed McFadden turned into Brown, and Santonio Holmes (-4 games suspension) turned into McFadden & Sylvester. So 12 games of Holmes turned into Brown & Sylvester. I'll take it.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-24-2010, 10:38 PM
And something else to consider: Didn't the Steelers also get a 5th round compensatory pick for losing McFadden to the Cardinals in the first place? The latter of the two picks, which turned into Antonio Brown.

So a year removed McFadden turned into Brown, and Santonio Holmes (-4 games suspension) turned into McFadden & Sylvester. So 12 games of Holmes turned into Brown & Sylvester. I'll take it.

Is that calculus or mass transfer? :lol:

aggiebones
04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
I gotta say if something seems too good it probably is.
BUT we only moved in the draft 1 round and with the pick the Cards took some mediocre CB anyway that will not last long, unless they get real lucky. So what did we lose? Not much, if he gets cut in camp, we still didn't lose much. Noone else wanted him and he's familiar with our D, so he had alot more value to us than most teams.

feltdizz
04-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree with the system comment. We had young guys who weren't even close to WR's last year. It doesn't matter how fast our sure handed you are if you are confused and out of place half the time.

I didn't think we would miss BMac but our youth showed last year. Losing Troy didn't help either.

brothervad
04-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Can someone who knows the Cards D comment on the system that Arizona runs. My guess is that it is a more man coverage system and not zone/blitz coverage.

But I have no clue and am just speculating...

brothervad

Steel Life
04-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Can someone who knows the Cards D comment on the system that Arizona runs. My guess is that it is a more man coverage system and not zone/blitz coverage.

But I have no clue and am just speculating...

brothervad
The Cards couldn't consistently defend the pass last year, ending up 23rd in the league for pass defense all season. Interestingly enough they were one slot behind us in opponent's pass completion percentage (P=7th, A=8th) & just a few sacks behind us (P=48, A=43). The only telling thing is that teams threw more against the Cards than all but one team (Titans were the most picked on) with YPG & other associated stats falling in the worst 10 in the league. The only thing this tells you is that teams obviously saw something in the Cards pass defense that they could pick on & that is schematic. Last year was the first year of Billy Davis' tenure as defensive coordinator & the second time he's held that post (SF 2005-06), so I'm sure that he's on the hot seat to tweak his defensive gameplan. That isn't to say that the quality of player could have had something to do with it, but I'm going to assume that having two hyper-aggressive safeties like Rolle & Wilson didn't help by putting McFadden & Cromartie constantly on an island & that's not McFadden's game.

Pahn711
04-25-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't think McFadden did that bad in the regular season, of course his horrid performance in the playoffs overshadowed it.

Also, he mentioned in his phone interview to the steelers the other day that he was dealing with two injuries in the playoffs, and in hindsight should not have played.

No doubt McFadden is a better fit for this system, and that Lebeau is much better at utilizing his players.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
I gotta say if something seems too good it probably is.
BUT we only moved in the draft 1 round and with the pick the Cards took some mediocre CB anyway that will not last long, unless they get real lucky. So what did we lose? Not much, if he gets cut in camp, we still didn't lose much. Noone else wanted him and he's familiar with our D, so he had alot more value to us than most teams.

Actually, with the pick we sent to them (which was the pick that we got in the Santonio trade with the Jets) the Cardinals took Fordham QB John Skelton, who I liked a lot (he was the most similar to Ben in terms of physical stature and arm strength). Now they'll likely roll with Leinart, Derek Anderson, and Skelton, and won't re-sign Brian St. Pierre (perhaps he'll want to join the Steeler reunion tour!...only kidding).

BradshawsHairdresser
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Don't understand why so many are so high on this McFadden re-signing. By the end of his last season with us, he was splitting time with Willie Gay, IIRC. And the Steelers let him go without too much of a fight. Doesn't that mean he wasn't considered to be a much better option than Gay? Now the Cards are willing to dump him for a low pick...

I don't think I'd get too hopeful that this "fixes" our D-backfield. Bryant knows our D, and he can step in and contribute right away, but I'm sure we'll see him get himself plenty of burnt this season.

And no safety drafted??? Maybe the Steelers have plans to convert one of those slot receivers to DB?

Pahn711
04-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Don't understand why so many are so high on this McFadden re-signing. By the end of his last season with us, he was splitting time with Willie Gay, IIRC. And the Steelers let him go without too much of a fight. Doesn't that mean he wasn't considered to be a much better option than Gay? Now the Cards are willing to dump him for a low pick...

Originally, William Gay only got into the lineup because McFadden was dealing with an injury. He played well enough that they were able to slowly ease McFadden back into the fold. So I'd say the fact that they split time is more a result of Gay playing well, not that McFadden was playing bad. Not to mention that the Steelers knew they may not be able to resign McFadden, so they wanted to get Gay ready.

Like someone mentioned before, the Steelers did try to keep McFadden. But they offered him a longer term contract than he wanted to sign. Arizona offered something shorter, as I'm assuming McFadden figured he'd be worth more money next time he was a free agent, better sooner than later.

Lebsteel
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally, William Gay only got into the lineup because McFadden was dealing with an injury. He played well enough that they were able to slowly ease McFadden back into the fold. So I'd say the fact that they split time is more a result of Gay playing well, not that McFadden was playing bad. Not to mention that the Steelers knew they may not be able to resign McFadden, so they wanted to get Gay ready.

Like someone mentioned before, the Steelers did try to keep McFadden. But they offered him a longer term contract than he wanted to sign. Arizona offered something shorter, as I'm assuming McFadden figured he'd be worth more money next time he was a free agent, better sooner than later.
Welcome aboard, Pahn! :tt1

cruzer8
04-25-2010, 09:48 PM

Let's not forget that Troy was healthy that season as well. He makes that secondary.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-25-2010, 11:10 PM

Let's not forget that Troy was healthy that season as well. He makes that secondary.

This is the $$ thing. It doesn't matter who's back there with Troy, Gay or BMac, the strength of the defensive secondary won't change much at all.

As I said in another thread, I'm guessing they got BMac as much for the eventuality that Troy gets hurt again than for his advantage over Gay if Troy is on the field.

Presumably, BMac without Troy is >>> Gay without Troy. We've all seen the latter enough to barf.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-25-2010, 11:10 PM

This is the $$ thing. It doesn't matter who's back there with Troy, Gay or BMac, the strength of the defensive secondary won't change much at all.

As I said in another thread, I'm guessing they got BMac as much for the eventuality that Troy gets hurt again than for his advantage over Gay if Troy is on the field.

Presumably, BMac without Troy is >>> Gay without Troy. We've all seen the latter enough to barf.

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2010, 11:17 PM
there's been times over the past few years where troy has missed time and faddy wasn't being burnt like Gay was last year.

IIRC, they even went giving up only 1 TD in 3 games (SF,Buffalo ??) a few years back

thats when A smith substituted for an injured troy

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2010, 02:30 AM
McFadden trade eases cornerback concerns

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, April 25, 2010

Those scratching their heads — or pulling their hair out — as the Steelers neglected one of their biggest areas of need through the first four rounds of the NFL Draft found out why early Saturday afternoon.

Using the pick they got for Santonio Holmes two weeks ago, the Steelers re-acquired cornerback Bryant McFadden in a draft-day trade with the Arizona Cardinals.

"I expect to come in there and do what I did when I was there — play quality football," McFadden said yesterday.

McFadden helped the Steelers win Super Bowls in 2005 and 2008 and is only 28 years old. The bad news for the Steelers is that the Cardinals were willing to give up McFadden and a sixth-round pick in exchange for a fifth-round pick. That suggests the return of McFadden won't be a cure-all for a group that combined for just two interceptions in 2009 - and didn't have any until the final game of the season.

McFadden, who agreed to a new three-year deal with the Steelers yesterday, didn't have any interceptions in 2009. He was also part of a secondary that got torched in two playoff games last season.

McFadden said he played in the postseason with a bruised sternum and a separated shoulder and that it showed in his performances.

"If I had to do it over again, I might have just sat down and tried to get myself 100 percent healthy," McFadden said, "because I kind of got heat for being a dependable guy."

"B Mac" is the latest addition to the Steelers' reunion tour as the team previously acquired wide receiver Antwaan Randle El and linebacker Larry Foote in free-agent signings and quarterback Byron Leftwich in a trade.

Among those McFadden may have to battle for his old job opposite Ike Taylor are William Gay and second-year men Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett.

McFadden and Gay shared the position in 2008 when injuries sidelined the former, but defensive backs coach Ray Horton said he wants someone to clearly emerge as the starter in 2010.

Horton also said he is not counting out Gay, who struggled last season and drew the wrath of fans.

"I think if you talked to William, he would say he became a little too full of himself," Horton said. "He split time with Bryant, and we went on to win the Super Bowl. I'm sure he thought: 'I'm here, I've arrived.' I think he's more humble this year, and he's working hard."

The desire to create more competition, not nostalgia, led to the return of the former Steelers such as McFadden. It also guided the Steelers during the first three-day draft in the event's history.

The Steelers stayed true to their philosophy of drafting for want instead of need — and taking the best players based on how they had slotted them prior to last Thursday.

That explains the Steelers taking outside linebackers in the second round (Virginia Tech's Jason Worilds) and fourth round (Ohio State's Thaddeus Gibson), even though they have two Pro Bowlers at those positions.

The Steelers used just one of their 10 picks on a cornerback, and that selection didn't come until the fifth round, when they took Clemson's Crezdon Butler.

The Steelers also drafted two wide receivers and no safeties, even though they appeared to be more in need at the latter position.

They took three linebackers, the position on which the Steelers used the most picks.

"All of you, like us, know we need some help in the secondary," Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said. "The guys that we had rated higher on the (draft) board weren't corners. We took what we felt were the best players available. Three of them happened to be linebackers. Glory, halleluiah."

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said the Steelers were successful in sticking with their draft plan.

"We followed our board to a tee," he said. "(The draft) came together very well. We just hope they can all play."

STEELERS DRAFT PICKS: DAY 3

THADDEUS GIBSON — FOURTH ROUND

Height: 6-2; Weight: 243

Position: Outside linebacker

College (class): Ohio State (junior)

Notable: A second-team All-Big Ten selection, Gibson has the athleticism to make switch to OLB after excelling at defensive end for the Buckeyes. ... Recorded 10 sacks and 25 tackles for loss in his three years. ... Among top DE performers at NFL Combine with 32 reps of 225 pounds and dazzling times in short shuttle and three-cone drills. ... Caught eye of Steelers staff at Ohio State Pro Day, which he arrived at wearing a black-and-gold sweatshirt and pants.

CHRIS SCOTT — FIFTH ROUND

Height: 6-5; Weight: 319

Position: Guard

College (class): Tennessee (senior)

Notable: A versatile lineman who played multiple positions, Scott figures to be best suited for guard in NFL. ... An excellent pass blocker, he didn't allow a sack as a senior and was part of a 2007 unit that allowed an NCAA-low four sacks. ... Named second-team All-SEC honors. ... Don't be fooled by his anemic 19 reps of 225 pounds at NFL Combine; he was sick. ... Former college teammate of Steelers G Ramon Foster.

CREZDON BUTLER — FIFTH ROUND

Height: 6-0; Weight: 191

Position: Cornerback

College (class): Clemson (senior)

Notable: A three-year starter, he had only one of his 11 career interceptions during his senior season. ... A bit undersized, but he had 166 career tackles was part of Clemson defense that ranked in the top 15 in the nation in pass defense all four of his years. ... He gained more than 5,000 career yards as a North Carolina prep star running back.

STEVENSON SYLVESTER — FIFTH ROUND

Height: 6-2; Weight: 231

Position: Outline linebacker

College (class): Utah (senior)

Notable: A three-time All-Mountain West selection, Sylvester is one of the most accomplished LBs in Utah history. He finished his career with 263 tackles, 24 1/2 tackles for loss, nine sacks and 12 pass breakups. ... A two-year team captain with high energy and coverage ability. ... He was Defensive MVP of the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl and had seven tackles in the Utes' 2008 Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama.

JONATHAN DWYER — SIXTH ROUND

Height: 5-11; Weight: 229

Position: Running back

College (class): Georgia Tech (junior)

Notable: Among the nation's most productive RBs the past two years, he plunged in the draft after he reportedly tested positive at the NFL Combine for something he was taking — and was cleared by NFL to use — for a "pre-existing condition." He also ran a pedestrian 4.64-second 40-yard dash. ... Named the 2008 ACC Player of the Year after his sophomore season and rushed for 1,395 yards and 14 TDs last season as a junior. ... There are questions about his pass catching ability (he had 15 receptions in three years in the triple-option attack). ... A punishing runner, he gained 3,226 yards and scored 35 TDs at Georgia Tech.

ANTONIO BROWN — SIXTH ROUND

Height: 5-10; Weight: 186

Position: Wide receiver

College (class): Central Michigan (junior)

Notable: Among the most prolific receivers in MAC history, he caught 110 passes for 1,198 yards and nine TDs as a junior before declaring early. He totaled 305 receptions for 3,199 yards and 22 TDs in three seasons. ... A game-breaking returner, he was a two-time MAC Special Teams Player of the Year and led the nation in punt returns as a sophomore (20.5 ypr). ... Caught 102 passes in 2007, trailing only Michael Crabtree among freshman receivers in the nation.

DOUG WORTHINGTON — SEVENTH ROUND

Height: 6-5; Weight: 292

Position: Defensive end

College (class): Ohio State (senior)

Notable: A tall, big-bodied end who posted his best season at Ohio State as a senior with 42 tackles and two sacks. ... Named honorable mention All-Big Ten. ... Performed well at Ohio State Pro Day with a 5.02 40-yard dash and 35 1/2-inch vertical leap. ... Needs to work on pass rushing skills, as he managed only four career sacks at Ohio State.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 78075.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_678075.html)

aggiebones
04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Yea, my bad, maybe I confused it with their 6th rounder which was a DB. Not sure what I was thinking, but the idea is the same.

We took Butler in the 5th. Would you rather have BMac or Butler.
If BMac isn't performing, then he will be cut. But someone will rise out of this group to start opposite Taylor:

Gay
BMac
Butler
Burnett
Lewis
TWilliams

If I've made another error, the point remains the same. We didn't use a 1st or 2nd rounder on a CB because we didn't feel there were great ones out there. So we loaded up on quantity with the hope that someone rises from the rubble. This is a normal process because you can't have a star at every position. We won a Super Bowl with Taylor opposite X, so we can do it again.
If noone comes through for us, then we likely won't win a Super Bowl and maybe next year we look at CB in the 1st. But We already had a few young CBs, so you just can't throw those away without seeing if they can progress after only a year.