PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sold on the recycle movement

Djfan
04-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Bringing back Foot, ARE, BMac, etc. sounds cool, but I am left wondering if the strategy is to rebuild the old to see if they can still do it.

It seems like a stop gap, not a long term plan.

frankthetank1
04-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Bringing back Foot, ARE, BMac, etc. sounds cool, but I am left wondering if the strategy is to rebuild the old to see if they can still do it.

i like it. ARE and foote add depth. they already know the offense and defense for foote so that is a big plus. Bmac was bad last year but the cards play a lot more man coverage than the steelers do. Bmac was always solid on the steelers and he isnt too old so i think he could be a long term solution at cb

Djfan
04-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Well I am hoping I am wrong, but I don't see long term here. If they are using them to fill in for 1 -3 years while the rooks are brought into the fold, great.

Oviedo
04-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Well I am hoping I am wrong, but I don't see long term here. If they are using them to fill in for 1 -3 years while the rooks are brought into the fold, great.

I agree. Smart moves with the potential of the lock out next year. Get what you need to win now. Of course they never could have planned for Ben going stupid.

All these vets could hold it all together for the first 4 games. There will be tons of competition at all positions in camp. IMO very few players are safe

BURGH86STEEL
04-24-2010, 06:43 PM

I really don't know how far into the future that teams actually plan. The landscape of teams can change quickly based on many circumstances.

I think they have a good mix of short term and what appear to be long term plans for the team.

MaxAMillion
04-24-2010, 07:01 PM

It definitely is a stopgap, but that is a good thing. The Steeler team is built to win now (when Ben is the QB) and that means you need as much depth as possible. I don't look at any of the old returning Steelers as guys that will help the team in 3-4 years. They simply cover the team from injury and allow inexperienced players to have time to develop.

Shawn
04-24-2010, 07:25 PM

That's exactly what they are doing.

papillon
04-24-2010, 08:52 PM

What rooks will be worked into the fold at safety? CB? ILB? DE? Of course, we have Harrison's replacement on the roster, so, it's all good. What a cluster, IMO, sorry Ovi.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2010, 12:26 AM

What rooks will be worked into the fold at safety? CB? ILB? DE? Of course, we have Harrison's replacement on the roster, so, it's all good. What a cluster, IMO, sorry Ovi.

Pappy

You can't possibly fill every hole in a single draft. I would have liked to see a safety drafted to compete with Mundy but two of our free agent signings were at safety (bringing back a starter in Clark and replacing the ancient Ty Carter with Will Allen). Clark and Allen aren't rooks, but they aren't old either. Players in their prime are good to have.

At ILB, we already have Timmons, Farrior, Foote, and Fox, so could we expect a rookie to make the team? We'll see, since Stevenson Sylvester (an 4-3 OLB who will convert to 3-4 ILB) was drafted to play inside (unlike Worilds and Gibson, who were 4-3 DE's who will convert to 3-4 OLB).

At CB, we brought back a guy who was a starter for us in SBXLIII (and contributed to our nickel/dime sub packages as a rookie when we won SBXL), and added another rookie in Butler to go with other youngster Lewis and Burnett (at the expense of the aging Deshea Townsend, who was not brought back).

At DE, our starters are getting older, but we drafted some young backups last year in Hood and Harris, plus we brought back Nick Eason (who is still in his prime) and drafted Doug Worthington there.

Lebsteel
04-25-2010, 12:56 AM

Pappy

You can't possibly fill every hole in a single draft. I would have liked to see a safety drafted to compete with Mundy but two of our free agent signings were at safety (bringing back a starter in Clark and replacing the ancient Ty Carter with Will Allen). Clark and Allen aren't rooks, but they aren't old either. Players in their prime are good to have.

At ILB, we already have Timmons, Farrior, Foote, and Fox, so could we expect a rookie to make the team? We'll see, since Stevenson Sylvester (an 4-3 OLB who will convert to 3-4 ILB) was drafted to play inside (unlike Worilds and Gibson, who were 4-3 DE's who will convert to 3-4 OLB).

At CB, we brought back a guy who was a starter for us in SBXLIII (and contributed to our nickel/dime sub packages as a rookie when we won SBXL), and added another rookie in Butler to go with other youngster Lewis and Burnett (at the expense of the aging Deshea Townsend, who was not brought back).

At DE, our starters are getting older, but we drafted some young backups last year in Hood and Harris, plus we brought back Nick Eason (who is still in his prime) and drafted Doug Worthington there.
I was going to post the same thoughts to cranky Pappy, but thanks RB, you did it for me. I like our picks, but I am usually optimistic at draft time...

papillon
04-25-2010, 11:13 AM
I love your optimism about this draft and this team. My disappointment may be unfounded; however, it appears to me that in rounds 2-4 there were players at positions the Steelers need to upgrade or energize with youth that were rated highly by guys that do this for a living (not me, I admit I have no clue) and they were left there for others to take.

Of course, after each pick that I thought, WTF are they doing, Mayock and many analysts gushed over the picks, so, maybe, I shouldn't complain much. The 2007 draft has 4 starters in the lineup and they are certainly replacing one of them. In the year 2013 we'll be able to take a look at how this draft worked out. I hope as good as the 2007 draft.

I hope the reunion tour works out for the Steelers; it's surreal to me to be bringing this many ex-players back so soon after releasing them.

I just don't like the way this whole off season has transpired. It doesn't bode well for the upcoming season. The team was 9-7, the good news is that Polamalu and Smith will be back and that Mcfadden should certainly replace Gay. Starks and Colon won't have much competition and will be starters by default, that isn't necessarily bad, but it would have been nice to have someone pushing them.

The bad news is that Ben is embroiled in his fiasco, they traded the best play maker on the team for a 5th round pick and the FO and Tomlin really haven't put much public support out there for Ben. I hope that changes soon.

I still think they missed.

Pappy

Slapstick
04-25-2010, 11:42 AM
The thing is, Ben isn't the only player who went stupid...Santonio did as well...

Given the fact that Wallace is on the roster, I think that McFadden replacing Gay for 16 games helps the team more than having an unstable Santonio for 12...

Ozey74
04-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I am OK with this draft. I'm hoping Sunny Harris will bring alot to the team as he matures with the team at DL.

Next year , we need to draft heavy at OL and DB next year. I started to feel good about the draft once we got BMac back.