04-24-2010, 01:05 PM
According to ESPN

brothervad
04-24-2010, 01:05 PM
5th round pick to Arizona

brothervad

pfelix73
04-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Yep- traded for a 5th rounder-- I'll take down my post...We put these up at the same time....
:tt1

Shawn
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Hecks yeah! That's what I'm talking about!

steelz09
04-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Thank God... we never should have got rid of him in the first place.

So many were hard on McFadden's play, thinking W. Gay was ready to replace him and outperform McFadden...We all saw first hand how that experiment went..

Lebsteel
I like it! Our new old starter....they had that up their sleeve the whole draft...

Steeler Expat
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk277/Pizzachu/skeptical_hippo.jpg

Dee Dub
Doesnt McFadden have this crazy high contract?? A 5th round pick is cool but what are the details of his contract??

pfelix73
Yea, this was a good move...

I'm happy.

JAR
Interesting!

WoodleyofTroy
04-24-2010, 01:09 PM
This makes the entire draft right here..

Great move.

HOlmes for McFadden.

Shoe
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm excited too, but let's temper it a bit: he definitely underwhelmed in AZ, to the point at least where they were willing to unload him for a 5th.

But oh well, I like it!

pfelix73
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Wonder if Faneca wants his old job back for cheap? Would be like old times.... lol

MaxAMillion
04-24-2010, 01:12 PM
This is a good move. McFadden can play in our system. I feel better about the secondary compared to my feelings this morning. I was hoping for a young safety in this draft but apparently that won't happen. Maybe Lewis can be moved to safety.

Shawn
04-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Shoot bring back Faneca as well...move him to center...cut hartwig. And McFadden didnt have the best year with the Cards but he always played well in our system. It was a great move.

Steelgal
04-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Very happy with this move too. Thought Gay would be a decent replacement when he left, but apparently not........

Now pick up a running back somewhere in the draft and I'll be happy.

WoodleyofTroy
04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Faneca is definitely going to Arizona with Grimm.

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Doesnt McFadden have this crazy high contract?? A 5th round pick is cool but what are the details of his contract??

3/8/2009: Signed a two-year, $10 million contract. The deal contains $5 million guaranteed, including McFadden's first-year base salary. 2009: $3.75 million (+ $1 million roster bonus + $250,000 workout bonus), 2010: $5 million, 2011: Free Agent

It's $5 million this year, but there is no cap, so as long as the Rooneys are willing to pay that for this season, it doesn't hurt the team by taking cap dollars away from other needs. After this season, we can determine whether or not we want to re-sign him. If Gay, Lewis and Burnett progress this season behind Ike and BMac, then we could let McFadden go next off-season. If not, we could re-sign him. It buys us time to see how our two rookie corners from last year (and Gay) progress without having to rely on any of them for anything more than nickel and dime duty, except in case of injury.

cruzer8
04-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Very happy with this move too. Thought Gay would be a decent replacement when he left, but apparently not........

I believe he would have been had we not lost Troy.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-24-2010, 01:39 PM

I believe he would have been had we not lost Troy.

Beat me to it. BMac did not have a good season at all as the key guy in AZ. The only reason I can see this move makes sense is as an insurance if Troy goes out again - "BMac without Troy > Gay without Troy". If Troy is in, it probably doesn't matter who is playing next to him.

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Steelers trade the 5th round pick they got for Santonio to re-acquire Bryant McFadden = Good Feelings Among The Masses

:tt2 :Steel :tt1

Steelers us one of their untradeable 5th round comp picks on a THIRD OLB in this draft = Bad Feelings Among The Masses

:HeadBanger :wft

LouSteel
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
I think Gay got a bad rap.

I'm looking forward for the BMAC/GAY rotation that worked well for us...

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
best move of the last 2 days

maybe 3 days if looking at immediate improvement

Snatch98
04-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I think Gay got a bad rap.

I'm looking forward for the BMAC/GAY rotation that worked well for us...

I also think he got a bad rap.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers bring back Clark Haggans...should be able to get him for a sixth-rounder and a bag of cheetoes.

Heck, wouldn't be too surprised if the FO is working out Marvel Smith even as we speak.
Wonder if Kendall Simmons would be interested in coming back?

SteelBucks
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Thank God... we never should have got rid of him in the first place.

So many were hard on McFadden's play, thinking W. Gay was ready to replace him and outperform McFadden...We all saw first hand how that experiment went..

The Steelers are correcting a mistake. Great move!

SteelBucks
04-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Shoot bring back Faneca as well...move him to center...cut hartwig. And McFadden didnt have the best year with the Cards but he always played well in our system. It was a great move.

Not sure if you were joking but you can forget about Faneca. Tomlin said on ESPN they are not interested and they're going to stick with the young guys.

frankthetank1
04-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Steelers trade the 5th round pick they got for Santonio to re-acquire Bryant McFadden = Good Feelings Among The Masses

Steelers us one of their untradeable 5th round comp picks on a THIRD OLB in this draft = Bad Feelings Among The Masses

i thought that was the pick they got for holmes. that was a stellar move by the FO. basically trading holmes who they were just going to release and getting a solid cb like Bmac

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 03:52 PM

you must be happy then because RB Jonathan Dwyer was a great value in the 6th round! :tt2

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 03:57 PM

3/8/2009: Signed a two-year, $10 million contract. The deal contains $5 million guaranteed, including McFadden's first-year base salary. 2009: $3.75 million (+ $1 million roster bonus + $250,000 workout bonus), 2010: $5 million, 2011: Free Agent

It's $5 million this year, but there is no cap, so as long as the Rooneys are willing to pay that for this season, it doesn't hurt the team by taking cap dollars away from other needs. After this season, we can determine whether or not we want to re-sign him. If Gay, Lewis and Burnett progress this season behind Ike and BMac, then we could let McFadden go next off-season. If not, we could re-sign him. It buys us time to see how our two rookie corners from last year (and Gay) progress without having to rely on any of them for anything more than nickel and dime duty, except in case of injury.

Steelers, McFadden talking extension

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2010 2:56 PM ET

With defensive back Bryant McFadden back in Pittsburgh a year after signing with the Cardinals, McFadden could be staying longer than the one year that remains on his deal.

Per a league source, the Steelers and McFadden are talking about a possible extension. He was traded back to Pittsburgh during round five.

McFadden is due to earn a base salary of $4.75 million in 2010.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... extension/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/24/steelers-mcfadden-talking-extension/)

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 04:19 PM

i thought that was the pick they got for holmes. that was a stellar move by the FO. basically trading holmes who they were just going to release and getting a solid cb like Bmac

We also got Arizona's 6th round pick in the BMac deal. So essentially, it was Santonio Holmes for Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick (we took WR Antonio Brown with the Card's 6th rounder). Not such an awful deal anymore.

Shawn
04-24-2010, 04:29 PM

We also got Arizona's 6th round pick in the BMac deal. So essentially, it was Santonio Holmes for Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick (we took WR Antonio Brown with the Card's 6th rounder). Not such an awful deal anymore.

Agreed...if someone would have presented me with that option I would have thought long and hard about it. I know some people think Mcadden isnt that good. I would disagree despite his season last year. But, as the #2 without Troy...Gay is that bad...statistically one of the worst in the NFL.

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 04:33 PM

so we ended up trading Santonio Holmes for Bryant McFadden and Antonio Brown.

i feel much better now... :D

SteelerOfDeVille
04-24-2010, 05:14 PM
and he already agreed to a 3 year extension.