PDA

View Full Version : Faneca update - to be cut Monday

rpmpit
04-24-2010, 11:42 AM
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/0 ... lan_f.html (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/04/jets_cut_pro_bowl_guard_alan_f.html)

Jets to cut Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca
By Manish Mehta/The Star-Ledger
April 23, 2010, 11:47PM
John O'Boyle/The Star-LedgerAlan FanecaThe Jets will cut nine-time Pro Bowl left guard Alan Faneca, a person familiar with the situation said late tonight. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on the Jets’ or Faneca’s behalf.

The Jets will likely make a formal announcement Monday, according to the person.

Faneca, 33, was reported to be on the trading block for weeks, but the Jets couldn’t find any takers. He was scheduled to make $7.5 million this season, of which $5.25 million is guaranteed.

The Jets’ selection of Massachusetts offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse in the second round of tonight’s draft raised further speculation over Faneca’s future with the team. General manager Mike Tannenbaum sidestepped a question about Faneca’s status tonight after the Ducasse pick.

"Alan’s on our team. He’s done a lot of great things for us," Tannenbaum said. "All those other questions are hypotheticals. All I can tell you is where we are now.... I know there’s a lot of speculation, but that’s typically what happens over a weekend like that."

Faneca signed a five-year, $40 million deal with the Jets in 2008 after establishing himself as one of the league’s best run blockers during 10 seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The 13th-year pro struggled in pass protection last season.

Rumors of Faneca’s departure began to pick up steam tonight when Ducasse was selected with the 61st overall pick.

The 6-4, 332-pound Division 1-AA first-team All-American could slide to the interior of the offensive line in the future. The Jets need to replenish a line that paved the way for the league’s top-ranked rushing attack last season.

Tannenbaum said Ducasse will start out at left guard or right tackle. Although Ducasse is still rough around the edges, offensive line coach Bill Callahan endorsed the selection.

"With what he’s been through in his life, you’d never bet against him," Tannenbaum said. "He obviously has the physical attributes. From a technique standpoint, it’s not completely clean. We’re excited about his long-term prognosis with us. ... This guy had all the attributes we wanted."

Ducasse didn’t speak much English when he emigrated from his native Haiti five years ago with his brother. He played basketball, but didn’t get on the gridiron until he enrolled at Stamford (Conn.) High School.

"I’m still a student of the game," Ducasse said. "I’m still learning. The sky’s the limit."

Vice president of college scouting Joey Clinkscales maintained that Ducasse has a passion for the sport.

"He plays with an attitude," Clinkscales said. "I really do think he loves it.".

Ducasse may be raw — he initially struggled in pass protection at the Senior Bowl — but the Jets aren’t ruling out the possibility that he could be a starter sooner than later.

"I think he has the work ethic," Clinkscales said. "I think he’s tough enough. I think he’ll do everything in his power to be as good as he can be. Now whether that translates into a starter in Year One, we’ll see. ... He’ll compete with (Matt) Slauson and (Rob) Turner and those guys, and the best player will win. But we drafted him because his ability will allow him to compete as a starter."

Ducasse lettered in basketball, track and field and football in high school before choosing UMass over Maine, Northeastern, Hofstra, Delaware and Buffalo. Ducasse started 35 games as a starter at UMass, including 11 games at left tackle last season.

"What he’s been though in his life should make acclimation into the NFL somewhat plausible for him," Tannenbaum said. "We feel like his upside is really compelling."

NOTES

Tannenbaum on how the Jason Taylor signing impacted the Jets’ first-round philosophy: "Jason allowed us to break a tie relative to a corner or pass rusher. Because of that, moving up wasn’t as big of a necessity. The corners kept falling. (Devin) McCourty was falling. Kyle Wilson was falling. We felt like something good was going to happen there."

Tannenbaum admitted that he examined possible trade opportunities in the first two days of the draft.

"We did look into a couple trades," he said after the second round. "If a player or two is specifically there (in the third round), we may to try to take a shot

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2010, 11:47 AM
What the hell. Sign him...Move Kemo to RG....Move Hartwig to the retirement home and insert Pouncey day 1. There...I said it.

feltdizz
04-24-2010, 12:03 PM
can he play center?

That idiot got what he deserved.

Now he can go to AZ and play for his butt buddy.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
What the hell. Sign him...Move Kemo to RG....Move Hartwig to the retirement home and insert Pouncey day 1. There...I said it.

He was, by all accounts, a very bad player in the locker room (resigning his "captaincy"; LOUDLY complaining, in the media, about ownership, etc.). Lack of class. Even Tone went out looking classier.

Can't see spending big bucks on a center whose weakness would be protecting Ben in passing situations. A one-dimensional run-blocking center we don't need, IMO.

Besides - never heard of a surgeon putting a cancer back INTO someone, after taking it out.

Just saying!

brothervad
04-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Based on What Tomlin told the folks on ESPN...it appears Mr. Faneca burned this bridge beyond all repair.

brothervad

SteelBucks
04-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Based on What Tomlin told the folks on ESPN...it appears Mr. Faneca burned this bridge beyond all repair.

brothervad

Yep. Said they're not interested and they're going to stick with the young guys. I'm sure his buddy Grimm will give him a call.

feltdizz
04-25-2010, 12:33 PM

brothervad

He was so ill willed towards the FO... no way they take him back.

Ozey74
04-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Screw Faneca. He had one ugly divorce with us. Once he retires he will act like everything is cool and be sniffing to come back to Heinz Field every time they have some sort of pregame reunion at mid field before kickoff. He got his signing bonus with the Jets and now he is washed up.

IMO, he will be a Chicago Bear.

proudpittsburgher
04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Did Faneca really burn the bridges? I don't remember the divorce being all THAT ugly. Maybe my memory is selective, but the guy wanted to be paid, and he knew that was never going to happen within the Steelers organization. So he played the game, and got his payday. Either way, I just don't see him with the steelers, nor do I think they want him.

Ozey74
04-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I remember, in the middle of his last season, that he didn't think management will pay him & also going on record as saying that he was lied to by Steeler management about an extension. Dan Rooney countered and said that he felt sorry for Alan Faneca and thought that he was getting too worked up about his situation.

And then before that he went on record to say that he wasn't to thrilled about Roethlisberger about having to start as a rookie after Maddox went down.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't of felt the way that he did. I just think that it was inappropiate to air his negativity in public. He just made himself look like an a$$.

brothervad
04-25-2010, 01:09 PM
didn't he also say he would no longer be a team captain? I may be misremembering, but that sounds familiar.

brothervad

Ozey74
04-25-2010, 01:15 PM
didn't he also say he would no longer be a team captain? I may be misremembering, but that sounds familiar.

brothervad

Bump. Now that you mention it, I do recall that.

proudpittsburgher
04-25-2010, 01:24 PM
And then before that he went on record to say that he wasn't to thrilled about Roethlisberger about having to start as a rookie after Maddox went down.

Actually, i do remember that, and I think it was blown way out of proportion. That had nothing to do with Ben, rather he thought they had a chance to win the super bowl with Maddox, and he wasn't happy about the fact that chance was blown.

I dunno, I know that Faneca's departure wasn't the cleanest, I just don't remember it being as bad as some would make it out to be.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-25-2010, 01:25 PM

He was, by all accounts, a very bad player in the locker room (resigning his "captaincy"; LOUDLY complaining, in the media, about ownership, etc.). Lack of class. Even Tone went out looking classier.

Can't see spending big bucks on a center whose weakness would be protecting Ben in passing situations. A one-dimensional run-blocking center we don't need, IMO.

Besides - never heard of a surgeon putting a cancer back INTO someone, after taking it out.

Just saying!
Who are you talking about? Faneca is a G. He by no means is one dimensional. But I do agree about not spending big money.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Faneca had nothing but nice things to say about the Steelers organization after he left. Although, his last year here was rocky...He did shut up and play once the season started. That being said, it sounds like the Steelers like the youth movement on the OL.

Ozey74
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Although, his last year here was rocky...He did shut up and play once the season started. That being said, it sounds like the Steelers like the youth movement on the OL.

I respect what Faneca brought to the team. Without him we wouldn't of been as successful as we were when he was here. But in order to move foward as a team and to improve as a OL unit, this must be done without him on the team.

proudpittsburgher
04-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Faneca had nothing but nice things to say about the Steelers organization after he left. Although, his last year here was rocky...He did shut up and play once the season started. That being said, it sounds like the Steelers like the
youth movement on the OL.

I'm glad I am not just making stuff up. That is what makes me mad about stuff like this, the snowball starts, and then players are buried beneath the avalanche.