PDA

View Full Version : Thadeus Gibson

steelerkeylargo
04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
WOW....Shocked.

Lebsteel
04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
OK, two OLBs in the first 4 picks? I'm really confused....

SS Laser
04-24-2010, 11:05 AM
BPA on steelers board?

NW Steeler
04-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Gotta say I'm surprised at this pick. 2 OLB now. Not exactly a need pick, so they must have felt like they couldn't pass on him.

frankthetank1
04-24-2010, 11:10 AM
another olb?? i guess we are all set in the secondary and at RB :HeadBanger

NW Steeler
04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
I wonder if they are figuring that between Harrison, Worilds and Gibson that one of them will be shifting to ILB in he near future?

AkronSteel
04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Ok....I'm going on record! I do not like this pick! How many OLB's do we need??? Might as well look at the visit list cuz we will be drafting someone off that list the rest of the day!!! UGH!!! Why no corner? Why no DT? Why no OT? WTF????

steelerkeylargo
I think this is Tomlin suring up special teams for sure!!

pfelix73
Thinking the same too. Maybe Worilds. (sp) Have to be honest, don't know much about these guys right now.
:tt1

fordfixer
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Overview
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/ ... ?id=496786 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/thaddeus-gibson?id=496786)
Gibson was a productive defender for the Buckeyes over the past two seasons. He has a good combination of size and athleticism, runs well and shows good range in pursuit. He also shows good awareness and instincts to react quickly as plays unfold. He is a solid tackler in a confined area but very inconsistent in the open field. Gibson has good foot agility and quickness and should be able to develop his overall pass-rush package. He lacks great hand use and creativity to counter as a pass rusher but is likely to improve in this area. Gibson needs to gain bulk and strength (especially in his lower body) to make him a more complete defender. He has a chance to be a versatile player who will contribute early on special teams and have a chance to develop into a starter.

Chadman
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
come into the chatroom guys...

Lebsteel
04-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I wonder if they are figuring that between Harrison, Worilds and Gibson that one of them will be shifting to ILB in he near future?
It would have to be Harrison. Worilds and Gibson have incredible speed and athleticism. Gibson is incredibly strong, 32 reps, and had the best cone time of any OLB prospect.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I got wind during the week the loved an OLB they scouted heavily in the 2nd. As you see from my mock, I thought it was Gibson but it was Worilds. Gibson was rated slightly below. Gibson was BPA available at this point. Makes some interesting nickel & dime packages. I don't know about Worilds overall game but I will tell you this about Gibson. May not be the best pass rushing OLB in the draft by stats but he might be the most complete. Very fluid and tough SOB. Maybe inside...Not sure. But he reminds me alot of Porter. Our LB corp went from weak depth to...WOW.

Maybe trade back into 4th for Akwasi Owusu-Ansah or Cam Thomas. Or just sit back and see who falls. I still want to see Webb even though we got Sanders. Names I still want in no order:

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Cam Thomas
Perrish Cox
Nolan Carroll
AJ jefferson
Jeromy Miles
Legarette Blount
Deji Karim
Anthony Dixon
Ramon Harewood
Selvish Capers
Brandon Deaderick
Jay Ross
Callahan Bright
Martin Tevaseu
Micah Johnson
Mike Johnson
Jamar Chaney
Albert McClellan
John Skelton
Jevan Snead
To name some....

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 11:40 AM
The reason that we took 2 OLB's is because the backups to Harrison and Woodley are the underwhelming Andre Frazier and Patrick Bailey (and pass-rushing OLB's are vital to a successful 3-4 defense). This allows us to leave Timmons inside if either Harrison or Woodley got hurt. Worilds and Gibson could rotate in as situational pass rushers as rookies, keeping Harrison and Woodley fresh, and they could also contribute on special teams.

Our 8 LB'ers are now set.

Starters: Harrison-Timmons-Farrior-Woodley

Reserves: Gibson-Foote-Fox-Worilds

Say good-bye to the likes of Andre Frazier and Patrick Bailey.

birtikidis
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Ok....I'm going on record! I do not like this pick! How many OLB's do we need??? Might as well look at the visit list cuz we will be drafting someone off that list the rest of the day!!! UGH!!! Why no corner? Why no DT? Why no OT? WTF????
why no corners, dt's or ot? BECAUSE THEY AREN'T NEEDS nor were they BPA..
we may take a dt... MIGHT but I doubt it unless those positions are BPA.

BigRob
04-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Say good-bye to the likes of Andre Frazier and Patrick Bailey.

Our special teams should improve, we lost alot of games on teams last year. Plus, We get rid of two very average players and we aren't sunk if Harrison or Woodley goes down.

Tomlinator
04-24-2010, 12:12 PM
why no corners, dt's or ot? BECAUSE THEY AREN'T NEEDS nor were they BPA..
we may take a dt... MIGHT but I doubt it unless those positions are BPA.

I think we need a DT, but the front office seems to disagree up to now.

But no matter who they pick, I'll wish them the best of luck in contibuting in Black & Gold to Lombardi #7.

:tt2

feltdizz
04-24-2010, 12:19 PM
What is the point of another CB who will look lost his first 2 years?

I really think the CB's we have will be much better this year because they won't be thinking as much and will be reacting. Rarely has a DB looked amazing from day 1 in our D.

Troy would have hid some of Gay's deficiencies but he got hurt...

I expect all 3 of our young DB's to make major strides this year.. it's not like it will be that hard either because they were horrible. :wink:

Shawn
04-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Take this from a guy who watched Gibson game after game in college. Worthington is twice the player. Gibson is a paper linebacker who was surrounded by unreal D talent. Yes, he is fast and strong but he plays slower and weaker showing poor and inconsistant effort. He is Bruce Davis II. He can't take on tackles therefore he tries to go around them.

If coached and motivated correctly Gibson has upside...a high ceiling because of his physical traits. But at this point, that's all he has.

birtikidis
04-24-2010, 12:27 PM

I really think the CB's we have will be much better this year because they won't be thinking as much and will be reacting. Rarely has a DB looked amazing from day 1 in our D.

I expect all 3 of our young DB's to make major strides this year.. it's not like it will be that hard either because they were horrible. :wink:
I agree with this 100% felt. I think too many people are counting out some of the kids we took last year.

Shoe
04-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I got wind during the week the loved an OLB they scouted heavily in the 2nd. As you see from my mock, I thought it was Gibson but it was Worilds. Gibson was rated slightly below. Gibson was BPA available at this point. Makes some interesting nickel & dime packages. I don't know about Worilds overall game but I will tell you this about Gibson. May be the best pass rushing OLB in the draft by stats but he might be the most complete. Very fluid and tough SOB. Maybe inside...Not sure. But he reminds me alot of Porter. Our LB corp went from weak depth to...WOW.

That's what I like to hear: first-hand opinion based on following team. Frankly, I would think more of you guys would have that, since the kid's from OSU.

For my part, just watching their clips on youtube... Worilds looked much better to me. Gibson seemed very agile though. But in watching one clip (Worilds'), and then watching the other right after (Gibson), Worilds' quickness off the ball, his explosiveness, his potential was more apparent to me.

Shawn
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I got wind during the week the loved an OLB they scouted heavily in the 2nd. As you see from my mock, I thought it was Gibson but it was Worilds. Gibson was rated slightly below. Gibson was BPA available at this point. Makes some interesting nickel & dime packages. I don't know about Worilds overall game but I will tell you this about Gibson. May be the best pass rushing OLB in the draft by stats but he might be the most complete. Very fluid and tough SOB. Maybe inside...Not sure. But he reminds me alot of Porter. Our LB corp went from weak depth to...WOW.

That's what I like to hear: first-hand opinion based on following team. Frankly, I would think more of you guys would have that, since the kid's from OSU.

For my part, just watching their clips on youtube... Worilds looked much better to me. Gibson seemed very agile though. But in watching one clip (Worilds'), and then watching the other right after (Gibson), Worilds' quickness off the ball, his explosiveness, his potential was more apparent to me.

I watched every game of Gibson and came away with the exact opposite opinion.

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
when asked about the Steelers drafting so many LBers in this draft, LB coach Keith Butler joked,

“Contrary to public opinion, I don’t have photos of Coach Tomlin.” :lol:

Shawn
04-24-2010, 06:54 PM
when asked about the Steelers drafting so many LBers in this draft, LB coach Keith Butler joked,

I don't get it. :?

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 07:08 PM

you know, as in naked pictures to make Tomlin select LBers..

position coaches are always begging and lobbying to have players at the position that they coach get selected, and the Steelers selected Worilds, Gibson and Sylvester.

would you have guessed that the Steelers would select 3 LBers in this draft? one or two maybe, but three?

therefore, Butler must have had incriminating pictures of Tomlin then...

Shawn
04-24-2010, 07:15 PM

you know, as in naked pictures to make Tomlin select LBers..

position coaches are always begging and lobbying to have players at the position that they coach get selected, and the Steelers selected Worilds, Gibson and Sylvester.

would you have guessed that the Steelers would select 3 LBers in this draft? one or two maybe, but three?

therefore, Butler must have had incriminating pictures of Tomlin then...

Ahhh...forgive my mental sluggishness. Yes, pretty funny.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2010, 08:19 PM

Must be a homer perspective. I'm a PSU homer...I watched every game Bowman played and I thought he was nothing better than a 5th round pick. I also wasn't a big fan of Lee. Worilds looks like a better edge rusher. I liked Gibson because I thought he was more complete. The good thing is both can play ST and learn behind 2 pro bowlers. Worilds & Gibson are much better in comparison to Frazier & Bailey.

Shawn
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1nav2maj]I got wind during the week the loved an OLB they scouted heavily in the 2nd. As you see from my mock, I thought it was Gibson but it was Worilds. Gibson was rated slightly below. Gibson was BPA available at this point. Makes some interesting nickel & dime packages. I don't know about Worilds overall game but I will tell you this about Gibson. May be the best pass rushing OLB in the draft by stats but he might be the most complete. Very fluid and tough SOB. Maybe inside...Not sure. But he reminds me alot of Porter. Our LB corp went from weak depth to...WOW.

Must be a homer perspective. I'm a PSU homer...I watched every game Bowman played and I thought he was nothing better than a 5th round pick. I also wasn't a big fan of Lee. Worilds looks like a better edge rusher. I liked Gibson because I thought he was more complete. The good thing is both can play ST and learn behind 2 pro bowlers. Worilds & Gibson are much better in comparison to Frazier & Bailey.[/quote:1nav2maj]

I'm usually dead on with OSU talent...and I'm not impressed with Gibson. With that said, he should be better than either Fraizer or Bailey. Gibson complete? Depends what you mean by that...he is decent in pass coverage and flat out can track down a QB like a heat seeking missle. But, he is poor in run D and gets swallowed up by contact.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-24-2010, 08:47 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1l8a7rwf]I got wind during the week the loved an OLB they scouted heavily in the 2nd. As you see from my mock, I thought it was Gibson but it was Worilds. Gibson was rated slightly below. Gibson was BPA available at this point. Makes some interesting nickel & dime packages. I don't know about Worilds overall game but I will tell you this about Gibson. May be the best pass rushing OLB in the draft by stats but he might be the most complete. Very fluid and tough SOB. Maybe inside...Not sure. But he reminds me alot of Porter. Our LB corp went from weak depth to...WOW.

Must be a homer perspective. I'm a PSU homer...I watched every game Bowman played and I thought he was nothing better than a 5th round pick. I also wasn't a big fan of Lee. Worilds looks like a better edge rusher. I liked Gibson because I thought he was more complete. The good thing is both can play ST and learn behind 2 pro bowlers. Worilds & Gibson are much better in comparison to Frazier & Bailey.

I'm usually dead on with OSU talent...and I'm not impressed with Gibson. With that said, he should be better than either Fraizer or Bailey. Gibson complete? Depends what you mean by that...he is decent in pass coverage and flat out can track down a QB like a heat seeking missle. But, he is poor in run D and gets swallowed up by contact.[/quote:1l8a7rwf]

I'm usually dead on with PSU products and I'm glad we don't draft them. For our sake...Let's hope you are wrong this time. :wink: I compared him to Porter and you described him perfectly. I will add, He is good at backside pursuit and stays on his feet well. I noticed he tries to use his athleticism to flow to the play and run around blocks. He needs to be coached up and learn to use his hands better and shed. He is fluid and changes direction well for a big man. Not a finished product by no means but the potential is there.

papillon
04-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Yea, they'll probably go from horrible to just bad. In 4 or 5 more years they should be at least average. No need to draft one in the first round; when you can take your time and develop them over 4 or 5 years.

Pappy

papillon
04-24-2010, 09:35 PM
I think this is Tomlin suring up special teams for sure!!

The Steelers are now drafting special teams players in the first four rounds of an NFL draft? WTF? You're drafting, presumably, 2 of the best 128 players in the country for special teams? Bad idea!

You should be able to identify 1 or 2 that can actually make your starting 22 stronger in some fashion, nickel back, spell Farrior, spell Hampton, spell Kiesel or even better, replace Kiesel, backup Clark or Polamalu in case of injury (God forbid), etc.

Hell, bringing in a kicker with a big leg would help special teams too.

Pappy

Shawn
04-24-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm usually dead on with PSU products and I'm glad we don't draft them. For our sake...Let's hope you are wrong this time. :wink: I compared him to Porter and you described him perfectly. I will add, He is good at backside pursuit and stays on his feet well. I noticed he tries to use his athleticism to flow to the play and run around blocks. He needs to be coached up and learn to use his hands better and shed. He is fluid and changes direction well for a big man. Not a finished product by no means but the potential is there.

I think that is a very good assessment. Considering I'm a fan of Woodley and Harrison types I'm not crazy about finesse OLBrs. That's what I consider Gibson. He won't bull rush anyone. Like you said, he runs around contact. But, for a big man he moves really well. He does have potential. I'm just not sure how it translates to the Steelers D known for it's physicality.

fordfixer
04-24-2010, 10:16 PM

That explains alot :lol: :lol:

Shawn
04-24-2010, 10:37 PM

That's some hilarious material you got going on there. :P

fordfixer
04-24-2010, 11:40 PM

That's some hilarious material you got going on there. :P

Thank's I'll be here all week :lol:

NorthCoast
04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I'd like to think that Mr. Butler, the heir-apparent to our 3-4 defense, knows a thing or two about the type of LBs we need to be successful. You are talking about mid-round players here, every one of them will have 'holes' in their game. I think some of you have ridiculous expectations about rookies contributing on a very talented defense. We were screaming about our secondary woes in 2006 and look what happened when Woodley came on in tandem with Harrison. Suddenly that same secondary looked not so bad the following season. Then we go to the Bowl two yrs later.

Relax...please. I think the Steelers thought this one through well enough. And look how the teams in general picked in the draft. A whole lot of grunts in the first couple of rounds, while marquee positions slid. That, in itself, is unusual.

Slapstick
04-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Who is the Steelers' back-up Nose Tackle? Chris Hoke...a guy who has proven his ability when called upon to start and contributes well in the rotation when his number is called...

Who were the Steelers' back-up OLBs? Patrick Bailey and Andre Frazier...these guys are so trust inspiring that people talked about moving Timmons outside in the event of an injury to one of the starters...

Furthermore, Woirlds and Gibson will be able to contribute this season, IMO, as situational pass rushers and are actually potential starters in the future as opposed to Bailey and Frazier...