PDA

View Full Version : I like the new format because...

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 10:53 PM
we can get the "board experts" criticizing the Front Office and Tomlin gradually like water torture versus huge explosions of emotion because the board experts didn't have their guys taken based upon their extensive professional research and experience.

Lets me get this straight the guys who read the web, get second and third hand info know more than the guys who personally attend combines, Pro Days and private work outs.

Predictable every year. Why don't we do something really crazy and let the rookies at least get on an airplane and get to Pittsburgh before we label them as busts and terrible picks.

costanza2k1
04-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Classic, I agree O.

From a technical standpoint the server and DB can't handle 6 million busts, FO doesn't know anything, Colbert's a puppet, the Janitor screws up every pick (minus Woodley, Wallace, and a few others) type threads...very likely to crash.

fordfixer
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
we can get the "board experts" criticizing the Front Office and Tomlin gradually like water torture versus huge explosions of emotion because the board experts didn't have their guys taken based upon their extensive professional research and experience.

Lets me get this straight the guys who read the web, get second and third hand info know more than the guys who personally attend combines, Pro Days and private work outs.

Predictable every year. Why don't we do something really crazy and let the rookies at least get on an airplane and get to Pittsburgh before we label them as busts and terrible picks.

you have just been flagged 15 yards for improper use of logic :lol:

fordfixer
04-23-2010, 10:58 PM

you have just been flagged 15 yards for improper use of logic :lol:

papillon
04-23-2010, 11:02 PM

Why are we here then? To sing Kumbaya? The Steelers are one defensive injury away from 9-7 again or worse. Hampton, Smith, Troy, Clark or Ike out for any extended periods of time and the Steeler defense will struggle again. But, they'll have Harrison's backup in place when he retires and Worilds rookie contract is expiring.

The scariest is Ike getting hurt; the starting corners would be Burnett and Gay. :shock:

It was a so-so draft at best, IMO and that's why we're here to discuss the Steelers.

I hope they all make the team and contribute.

Pappy

SS Laser
04-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Ovi,
I don't know man. My 7mo old daughter had a bad night, started after the steelers worilds pick and got worse after the sanders pick! So I think she hated the picks also. She must know about as much as what a bunch on here do!

Djfan
04-23-2010, 11:05 PM
If I can't sleep tonight because Kumbya is going through my head, I will find you and sing it to you loudly.

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 11:06 PM

Why are we here then? To sing Kumbaya? The Steelers are one defensive injury away from 9-7 again or worse. Hampton, Smith, Troy, Clark or Ike out for any extended periods of time and the Steeler defense will struggle again. But, they'll have Harrison's backup in place when he retires and Worilds rookie contract is expiring.

The scariest is Ike getting hurt; the starting corners would be Burnett and Gay. :shock:

It was a so-so draft at best, IMO and that's why we're here to discuss the Steelers.

Pappy

Maybe the guys who actually watch and coach Lewis and Burnett everyday see something first hand versus supposition and inference. But that logic would be giving them credit for knowing something.

We took actions on DL with Hood and Harris last year. I expect to see at least one DL pick tomorrow.

Worilds may be the best pick of this draft given that Harrison only had 2 sacks in the last 8 games of the season. To me that is a stat that should get everyone's attention and it appears to have gotten the FO's.

steelerkeylargo
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM

:Beer :Agree

papillon
04-23-2010, 11:38 PM

Pappy

Maybe the guys who actually watch and coach Lewis and Burnett everyday see something first hand versus supposition and inference. But that logic would be giving them credit for knowing something.

We took actions on DL with Hood and Harris last year. I expect to see at least one DL pick tomorrow.

Worilds may be the best pick of this draft given that Harrison only had 2 sacks in the last 8 games of the season. To me that is a stat that should get everyone's attention and it appears to have gotten the FO's.

Well, here's a highlight reel for Worilds. Let me know what you think about what you see here.

[youtube:m6k1199y]zBzLNXDuTGA[/youtube:m6k1199y]

Pappy

Shoe
04-23-2010, 11:41 PM

I don't know about Lewis, but that bum Burnett freakin SUCKS (see: Oakland Raider game, INT to seal the deal)!

Now I'm partly kiddng of course (though for the life of me, I can't figure how a "pro" drops a ball like that...), my point is that fans do what we do: what do you want us to do, sit there and agree with everything they do?

That BTW is the textbook definition of one of those lemming fans that "follow" a team, but don't know anything about anything. We all are informed, and so we want to express our own opinions, right or wrong.

I understand your opinion, but what do you want us to do: agree with everything no matter what?

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2010, 11:54 PM
didn't drafting for depth used to mean later day pick to groom?

the kicker is that he is probably there in the 3rd round... thats where a lot of guys had him going.

as far as harrison. there wasn't much drop off in play the 2nd half of the year IMO. when he did rush he was held just as much as he was in the first half of the season.
also, its not much as "getting a sack" as it it applying pressure to the QB so he releases the ball quicker (troy's AFCC INT TD as an example)
he's got 2 years left on his deal and i dont see him going anywhere. he may be 32, but he has a lot of more mileage then most 32 yr old LB cause of getting cut his first few years.

so basically, we took a guy in the 2nd round to play back up for 2 years when we had much bigger needs

papillon
04-23-2010, 11:59 PM

the kicker is that he is probably there in the 3rd round... thats where a lot of guys had him going.

as far as harrison. there wasn't much drop off in play the 2nd half of the year IMO. when he did rush he was held just as much as he was in the first half of the season.
also, its not much as "getting a sack" as it it applying pressure to the QB so he releases the ball quicker (troy's AFCC INT TD as an example)
he's got 2 years left on his deal and i dont see him going anywhere. he may be 32, but he has a lot of more mileage then most 32 yr old LB cause of getting cut his first few years.

so basically, we took a guy in the 2nd round to play back up for 2 years when we had much bigger needs

Don't forget special teams...

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 12:00 AM
i like the new format because there is more time to reflect on the picks and instead of the Draft being over after two days we still have 7 picks to look forward to tomorrow.

in particular, i can't wait to see what we do with that 5th rounder we got for Sanstonio... :tt2

papillon
04-24-2010, 12:02 AM
i like the new format because there is more time to reflect on the picks and instead of the Draft being over after two days we still have 7 picks to look forward to tomorrow.

in particular, i can't wait to see what we do with that 5th rounder we got for Sanstonio... :tt2

Probably a tight end, we're dangerously thin at tight end in case Miller gets hurt.

Pappy

AkronSteel
04-24-2010, 12:04 AM

Pappy

You do realize that we lost several games last year because of special teams right?? Just sayin.....

papillon
04-24-2010, 12:11 AM

Pappy

You do realize that we lost several games last year because of special teams right?? Just sayin.....

I'm acutely aware of that fact, but if we can't find a football player or two or three that want to earn a living in the NFL in rounds 5, 6, 7 or UDFA to play special teams then the Steelers have greater issues than I thought. Do most teams typically look to fill in a special teams roster in the second round?

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 12:45 AM
Well, here's a highlight reel for Worilds. Let me know what you think about what you see here.

Looked like he has a solid array of pass rush moves, could use a lot of work on keeping containment in the run game, and his pursuit was neither fabulous nor awful. Early on, he won't be asked to play the run and drop into coverage like a regular 3-4 OLB. He's likely be rotated in as a situational pass rusher in the nickel and dime defense to give our regulars a breather every now and then. And contribute on special teams (I would have liked to see some highlights of him giving up his body to cover kicks).

NW Steeler
04-24-2010, 12:49 AM
We've had a lot of starting LB's that got their start on special teams. Hell, Harrison was covering kicks still in 2008, Ike still does. Just sayin'.

Let's give these guys the benefit of a doubt. I'm sure we all remember how much of a bust Troy was in his rookie year. The fact that we didn't pick a DB in the first three rounds must mean they have some faith in the guys we drafted last year. That is a good thing in my opinion. I'd still like to see them draft one in the 4th though. AOA can probably play CB or S from what I've read. And his first name means "born on Sunday". that sounds prophetic to me!

papillon
04-24-2010, 07:19 AM

Looked like he has a solid array of pass rush moves, could use a lot of work on keeping containment in the run game, and his pursuit was neither fabulous nor awful. Early on, he won't be asked to play the run and drop into coverage like a regular 3-4 OLB. He's likely be rotated in as a situational pass rusher in the nickel and dime defense to give our regulars a breather every now and then. And contribute on special teams (I would have liked to see some highlights of him giving up his body to cover kicks).

special teams will be it, unless, there's an injury. You're a good soldier RB, but I didn't see anything in that video that inspires me to say, "I can't wait to see him on the field." I'm hoping Silverback and Woodley stay healthy along with Smith, Hampton, Ike, Troy, Ryan (Clark, that is), Kiesel, etc.

IMO, there were better options available to the Steelers in round two and then round three. I hope these players are everything the Steelers believe they will be. And, I won't even say they won't be that; I only believe there were better options to protect the defense in case of injury to key personnel (like last year) and age.

I would love to see the Steeler draft board after the draft is over to see where they had players ranked and who they liked, etc.

I will say this about the second round, the Steelers weren't the only team to make me scratch my head and go hmmmm... Evidently, players that I thought have potential, don't and some that I hardly heard of (Worilds), do.

Colbert's track record in the 3rd round and beyond isn't inspiring either and that probably plays a part in my trepidation of these picks. I have to say though, Pouncey has grown on me. He's going to be a long time stalwart for the Steelers barring injury and when you get a player that can hold a position for 10 years you've done good.

Pappy

steelblood
04-24-2010, 07:29 AM

I generally agree with you. Of course, I stated that in another thread without being a pretentious jerk. :D

Hey Ovi, you burned your 'the Steelers know best card' when you started that month long "St. LeBeau" rant. You can't have it both ways. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
04-24-2010, 08:06 AM

I generally agree with you. Of course, I stated that in another thread without being a pretentious jerk. :D

Hey Ovi, you burned your 'the Steelers know best card' when you started that month long "St. LeBeau" rant. You can't have it both ways. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't mistake trying to stimulate a discussion and making a point with true feelings.

flippy
04-24-2010, 08:19 AM

we wouldn't have anything to talk about if we all agreed on everything.

we all know we know nothing, but it's still fun to pretend :D

cruzer8
04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
The NFL draft is a time when fans get mad at their team for passing on the guy they (the fans) heard of 3 months ago to instead take a guy they (the fans) only heard of a week ago. :lol:

Never mind that it's a year round process for the team's scouts.

:D

Shawn
04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm about to add some new adjectives for you O. And you don't want that. :lol:

Come on...quit whining...what do you expect? It's a message board. You expect everyone to be cool with every pick? If you are a realist...then you don't...so let em discuss instead of dictate to them how they should feel. We don't need your opinion on our lack of football education and insight. I know your panties are in a bunch over drafting Pouncey...but I thought you were the one saying he wasn't worth an 18? Are you qualified to make that statement? What are your coaching and scouting credentials?

Shawn
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM
steelblood stated..."pretentious jerk"...I think that would be one of those adjectives I was speaking about. :lol: